Win promotion or the FA Cup ? (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

Promotion.

Christ, what an easy question. Yet I’ve seen it asked more than enough times.

All day promotion.

But I do get the FA Cup.
1)Win a major trophy
2)Get into Europa League
3)£7-10m in prize money/Gate reciepts/TV.
4)2 x Trips to Wembley - Charity Shield
More money.

Lol yes we would take that. But it's not gonna happen.

Otis

It wouldn’t just be winning the FA Cup either, it would be winning it as a championship side.

Would be a legendary achievement, a total one off.

Promotion, by comparison, would be ordinary.
Yeah, fair comment.

Would go down the annuls of history and be talked about endlessly for decades, if a Championship team won the FA Cup.

SBbucks

It wouldn’t just be winning the FA Cup either, it would be winning it as a championship side.

Would be a legendary achievement, a total one off.

Promotion, by comparison, would be ordinary.

It wouldn’t be a one-off at all, West Ham did it in 1980 and Sunderland in 1973. I’m sure there were some before that, but that’s the two I remember.
Just because you don’t know about it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Legia Sky Blue

It wouldn’t be a one-off at all, West Ham did it in 1980 and Sunderland in 1973. I’m sure there were some before that, but that’s the two I remember.

You clearly didn't get the memo that football before 1992 doesn't count!

Otis

Promotion. As great as it would be to win the FA Cup again it just doesn’t have the same prestige it used to have.
That is true, but if a Championship team were suddenly to win it, I think it would get people believing in the magic of the cup again.

Imagine that instead of the usual, Chelsea, Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, repeat, rinse and repeat stuff.

It would change everyone's perception I think

Otis

Oh and what nails if for me I think is...

Win the FA Cup and it would cement Robins as a true legend. Hero forever.

We get promoted and get pummelled every week and there is not a zero shred of doubt in my mind that there would be a huge swathe of fans calling for MR to be sacked.

It would probably be the majority unfortunately.

We get beat 3 or 4 nil every week and it would soon be Robins is clueless. We even get that now at times for God's sake, when he has done brilliantly.

I think if we went up and got hammered week in week out, Robins' glory tenure would be severely tarnished and he would be considered not good enough.

100% FA Cup ....until we know we can get a side that can compete in the Premier.

Irish Sky Blue

You clearly didn't get the memo that football before 1992 doesn't count!
I would generally agree with you in that anything pre-Premier League era is wrongly discounted. A second division team winning the cup now simply emulates a second division club winning it pre ‘92.
However, such is the dominance of the ‘big’ clubs that it is really unusual for any team, even other PL teams, outside of that group to win anything at all. I think a Championship team winning the FA Cup now really would be a new and outstanding achievement.

Ashdown

FA Cup win for me. It’s all about winning trophies and with that we would make a packet on top.
The Prem would be fabulous at times but I imagine, apart from getting smashed by the Billionaires, affordability would be even worse and a whole new breed of supporter would emerge . The atmosphere would probably suffer and we would have local traitors snapping up tickets in the home ends to watch and support Liverpool, Man Utd etc like the old days.
1987 was burnt into my soul too .

Johnnythespider

Promotion please, Luton are making a fight of staying up and I think we'd be the same, there's a whole generation who've never seen us in the top flight and they deserve the chance to see us up against the best/richest clubs. I was there in 87 and it was a brilliant time but I think I'd like to see Robins complete the rebuild of the team and club.

pusbccfc

Some absolutely mental answers on here.

Promotion is fairly easy compared. There are many clubs that have dreamt of winning an FA Cup and haven't in over 100 years.

Birmingham, Stoke, Watford etc may have years in the PL but in their entire history haven't won an FA Cup.

pusbccfc

Promotion please, Luton are making a fight of staying up and I think we'd be the same, there's a whole generation who've never seen us in the top flight and they deserve the chance to see us up against the best/richest clubs. I was there in 87 and it was a brilliant time but I think I'd like to see Robins complete the rebuild of the team and club.

There's more than a generation who haven't seen us win a trophy too. We could go another 100 years without winning one.

Astute

Genuinely think you’re insane if you say promotion over the cup, assuming one is 100% guaranteed. There are teams in the Prem who have existed for over 100 years and have never won the cup. Football is about winning trophies, not just getting to the Prem to make up the numbers for a few years (if we’re lucky). We’ll get back the Prem again eventually any way, we may never win another cup.
Win the cup you get a bit of money and keep a cup for 1 year. Get promotion and it's worth 100m if you go straight back down.

Winning the cup again would be great but it wouldn't secure our future like promotion should. We might even be able to come to a deal with purchasing the CBS arena.

Yorkshire SB

Behave man. Don’t be so condescending. I’m not ignorant of the past. It’s just a different achievement now, chasm between the two divisions.

Ipswich win division 2 and then division 1 in the 60s. Does that mean what Leicester (boo) did wasn’t a one off?

ceetee

A good cup run this season and promotion next season is a more credible scenario I think, but I would take both this season

I certainly wouldn't throw away the cup run in the hope that it increase our promotion chance this year

SBT

It’s not the 80s anymore. Relative minnows winning the FA Cup (Wigan, Portsmouth) does very little to change the trajectory of the club. Promotion to the Premier League is usually transformative.

Tommo1993

It’s not the 80s anymore. Relative minnows winning the FA Cup (Wigan, Portsmouth) does very little to change the trajectory of the club. Promotion to the Premier League is usually transformative.

winner GIF

SBbucks

Behave man. Don’t be so condescending. I’m not ignorant of the past. It’s just a different achievement now, chasm between the two divisions.

Ipswich win division 2 and then division 1 in the 60s. Does that mean what Leicester (boo) did wasn’t a one off?

Apologies, but you sounded ignorant of the past. And you’ve answered your own question re Leicester - it clearly wasn’t a one-off was it?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Luton could stay up for 2-3 years then get relegated. Achieved nothing but a novelty first season with a load of publicity, but ultimately and inevitably they punch far above their weight for too long and no one bats an eyelid when they go down . Probably same for Brentford , Bournemouth, Burnley.
You win the FA Cup it's forever. We lived on the glory of 87 for years and it's history that makes us what we, as any other successful club will tell you.

oakey

Old fashioned opinion incoming.
Been a fan since 1970.
Winning trophies is what it's about.
Don't care how much money the club has in the bank as I'm not their accountant. Don't get fans who talk about finances, we have no real knowledge of it and no input into how club owners spend it.
We could be a yo-yo club like countless others and win nothing. Years of avoiding relegation and worrying over permutations of fixtures, trying to work out if we'll be safe on not - been there, done that for 20+ years.
It's about making memories.
Win a league or cup, every time for me. PUSB

Johnnythespider

There's more than a generation who haven't seen us win a trophy too. We could go another 100 years without winning one.
They've seen us at win at Wembley twice in the last few years and miss out narrowly last season, if we'd won the play off final it would absolutely carry the same importance to them as winning the cup did to me, either way the correct answer is both.

pusbccfc

They've seen us at win at Wembley twice in the last few years and miss out narrowly last season, if we'd won the play off final it would absolutely carry the same importance to them as winning the cup did to me, either way the correct answer is both.

Means very little in the long term scheme of things. It's not really an addition to your honours board.

baldy

I still maintain Martinez was a feeble overrated club manager who seemed tactically naive at every club he’s been at (and still is to an extent…especially with how he did at Belgium)

Users who are viewing this thread