Wilson money to SP. (2 Viewers)

wingy

Any part of the wage bill in excess of income will be funded through transfer fees. That would be sensible.

Also I think Waggott's comment starts from a lower base I.e. considering the wage bill minus the players we've lost (as without the Wilson money I suspect not so many signings would be made).

Indeed as SP said we have an Income not dissimilar to Nuneaton Town.

shmmeee

not without F+B revenues

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Even on the old deal the Ricoh pulls in far more cash than Sixfields. You can argue a new ground would be better, but no-one in their right mind would suggest that we're better off now than we were in our last season at the Ricoh, let alone on a lower rent deal.

FP is absolutely right, the crying shame about the move to Sixfields is that we've finally got the wage budget under control (it seems).

ccfc92

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Even on the old deal the Ricoh pulls in far more cash than Sixfields.

FP is absolutely right, the crying shame about the move to Sixfields is that we've finally got the wage budget under control (it seems).

Maybe I should have put a smiley in my post :facepalm: ;)

Purely tongue in cheek comment :D

"Reel 'er in boy, she's a big un!" ;) :)

wingy

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

Even on the old deal the Ricoh pulls in far more cash than Sixfields. You can argue a new ground would be better, but no-one in their right mind would suggest that we're better off now than we were in our last season at the Ricoh, let alone on a lower rent deal.

Around 25% of what It was 3 seasons ago. Couldn't have happened without a Relegation IMO.

shmmeee

Around 25% of what It was 3 seasons ago. Couldn't have happened without a Relegation IMO.

You're probably right, and the real question is: How possible is it to carry this strategy over to the Championship?

I worry that the Championship is the new Prem and to compete you've got to pretty much bankrupt yourself.

ccfc92

You're probably right, and the real question is: How possible is it to carry this strategy over to the Championship?

I worry that the Championship is the new Prem and to compete you've got to pretty much bankrupt yourself.

Bournemouth did okay though. Didn't go mad, invested where it was needed. They did have a few financial windfalls from sell on clauses, but they didn't bankrupt themselves.

Basically, a well managed club can achieve anything.

cloughie

If we didn't pay agent fees we would make no signings.

your usual drivel and lack of knowledge

Just how much does an agent get from placing a player who is a free agent?

I await your genius inside info reply

Nick

Administrator

Would it not depend on the agreement between agent and player?

Grendel

I'm not sure. So if say Wayne Rooney ran his contract down and joined another club as a free agent his agent gets nothing?

Of course he doesn't - I bow to your superior knowledge.

shmmeee

Bournemouth are backed by mentalist Russian cash.

Was gonna say!

AFC Bournemouth lost £15.3m in the financial year ending July 2013, the season in which they were promoted to the Championship.
The figure is in stark contrast to the £3.4m loss they posted for 2011-12.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27224806

It's almost like I didn't post up the actual figures from the FL about agents' fees at this level (average £10k) or the fact that the vast majority of transfers at this level don't involve an agent.

For anyone else interested: http://www.football-league.co.uk/pu...hes-201213-agents-fees-report_2293631_3446970

Rusty Trombone

The football league report for 12/13 shows that 19% of player transactions in league 1 involved an agent, I thought it would be much higher than that.

We paid £252k to agents, the second highest in the league, only Bournemouth spent more, a huge £689k.

There's a link to the full report on this bbc page... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23987048

Edit, I see shmmeee had the same idea.

Last edited:

Grendel

Grendel

If we ever do build a new ground, give the club a call when they sort the pitch.

You're brilliant at moving goalposts.

Not at all, I believe there are only about 15 transfer fees a season in this league.

I think far more attract agent fees.

I would also say we are easily in the top 10 wage bills in this league.

wingy

The football league report for 12/13 shows that 19% of player transactions in league 1 involved an agent, I thought it would be much higher than that.

We paid £252k to agents, the second highest in the league, only Bournemouth spent more, a huge £689k.

There's a link to the full report on this bbc page... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23987048

Edit, I see shmmeee had the same idea.

That would make an average of around £15k_£20K. per transaction on the recent level of deals during our last couple of Summers .

Grendel

That would make an average of around £15k_£20K. per transaction on the recent level of deals during our last couple of Summers .

Isn't that about the average transfer fee? Excluding the 95% of free transfers?

wingy

God this Is getting Complex now,20% of transactions attract an agents fee so If we recruit 10-12 players over a Summer which we have done for about 3 seasons now ,It could equate to around 3 Transactions ,but we were second behind Bournemouth . Or did we sign anyone for money during that spell , which Is what I think you're suggesting ,shit i've had way to much Echo falls tonight.

Rusty Trombone

According to the report for 12/13 (year to 30th June 13) we had 49 transactions.

28 new registrations/transfers
2 updated contracts
6 cancelled contracts
13 loans

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not at all, I believe there are only about 15 transfer fees a season in this league.

I doubt it, I would say our wage bill would be around 12/13th, possibly sneak into 10th but not easily in the top 10

shmmeee

You can think what you like, but last time I checked there were at least 21 transfers in this division this window for money. I've also posted up evidence from the Football League that at this level the vast majority of transfers do not involve agents' fees.

I dunno about the wage bill, it's impossible to find details on other clubs. This thread (http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.php?/topic/218958-wage-bill/) from last season seems to show most fans think their club is one of the top payers.

Surely SCMP dictates that ours can't be that high though? Even with Joy's cash injection last year and the Wilson sale this year, we can't be looking at a budget much more than £2m surely? That would seem to put us fairly solidly in the middle, so 10th or so is a decent guess I suppose.

Astute

So you now know about agents and the fees they charge although your information contradicts the evidence.

Agents can work for players without getting the clubs to pay them. A lot of clubs won't pay agents these days. The way they get paid is by taking a percentage of their earnings. This is how the top agents become rich.

You will find that an agent takes a 10% cut or more. For this he will sort out contracts and offers with all clubs interested and negotiate the best contract he can get. Although a player is handing over a fair bit of money to his agent he will be better off than doing the work by himself the vast majority of the time. The agent might also try to get a fee off the club but it doesn't mean he will get it. And if the deal doesn't get completed because of his greed he doesn't get paid at all.

IIRC Rooneys agent is on a percentage of his inflated wage of 15%. This puts him on more money than the vast majority of football players. But do you really think that Rooney would get anywhere near as much without an agent to negotiate for him? The big losers are the football clubs even if they don't hand over money to the agents.

rupert_bear

Roy Keane and Paul Scholes as an example never had an agent, they used the players union to help wage negotiations, a number of British top players do that too. The top players use agents for other earnings outside of wages, that's different. When fees are quoted such as the so called 2.3 million we supposedly got for Wilson that will be the whole deal, fee, signing on money etc. Money owed to Wilson by us if there was any nine times out of ten the buying club will foot that bill to get their wish for player. A lot of clubs use agents to buy or sell players to generate income not just players. In the main signing on fees are factored into wages and paid over the course of their contract, should they leave before their contracts are up normally what signing on fee is owed gets paid up.

Now Steve Waggott is supposedly our development director, so what is that ? basically it is to generate income as well as do deals to bring players in. Do you think he does that for free ? Is he a club employee or free-lance I suggest the latter and probably paid on money made for our owner. One recently departed player was being hawked around for transfer most of last season and was not SWs favourite person for not agreeing to move. So is Waggott an agent of sorts ? I suggest yes.

RoboCCFC90

There will be some story about it being used to pay wages rather than transfer fees.....

Kieron Crowley said during the commentary of the Newport fixture that Steven Pressley is trying to ensure of a bigger wage budget, however a Transfer Kitty was available if the manager wanted it.

Hobo

SP will obviously have a budget. I would imagine there is a sliding scale between what is spent on wages and what is spent on transfer fees i.e the more spent on one means the less available for the other.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

SP will obviously have a budget. I would imagine there is a sliding scale between what is spent on wages and what is spent on transfer fees i.e the more spent on one means the less available for the other.

That's without question the case. That stated, and to come back to the central point of the thread, and the clubs claims of the Wilson fee; it's not going to be given to the playing squad.

The wage bill must already by way, way down on last season. So even if we do sign more players, it'll only bring things back closer to last seasons wage budget. But that is not the Wilson fee being reinvested.

Signing on fees or agents fees,, unless we sign Ronaldinho, won't be more than 10% of the Wilson fee.

So, there is no conclusion, other than we've been misled. Yet again.

There's no justification for this on going duplicity. Unless the delusional keep claiming that it's because the council 'forced' the club out of The Ricoh...

I wonder what goes through peoples minds when they see Clarke, Wilson, Moussa, Christie, Murphy, Adams (et al); shorn from a squad that struggled in the third division last season; then read we've sold 500 season tickets to play football in another county, and read spin like yesterdays rubbish about what's best for the club from Waggott?!?

Last edited:

Hobo

That's without question the case. That stated, and to come back to the central point of the thread, and the clubs claims of the Wilson fee; it's not going to be given to the playing squad.

The wage bill must already by way, way down on last season. So even if we do sign more players, it'll only bring things back closer to last seasons wage budget. But that is not the Wilson fee being reinvested.

Signing on fees or agents fees,, unless we sign Ronaldinho, won't be more than 10% of the Wilson fee.

So, there is no conclusion, other than we've been misled. Yet again.

Misled? Who still believes their crap publicity?

rupert_bear

Remember, last season Callum Wilson for example was a low earner to begin with but signed a new better contract around xmas time, that was to secure his value I believe, lets all be honest his rise to the heights he achieved was a surprise and a bonus to the club but that happens. Anyone who expects any of these transfer fee incomes to be spent on new players are living in cloud cuckoo land. The money received is simply to help pay our way this season

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Misled? Who still believes their crap publicity?

Nobody. I just wish the media - Telegraph, CWR, etc - would have the balls to challenge it for what it is. Then publish facts. Waggott's statement sounds plausible, until you actually think it through. Then, anyone with more computing power than a potted plant can see it for the farce it is. Unfortunately, some folks evidently need spoon feeding. Some of whom being contributors to this site

Users who are viewing this thread