Will Saturday make your mind up one way or the other? (1 Viewer)

W

westcountry_skyblue

If we cannot beat Bury at home we dont deserve anything,I for one dont go for the 10 game bollox,and ooh they played well against Brentford and Doncaster etc...3 points Mr Thorn nothing less will be good enough to save you !!!

Macca

Unfortunately the op has had the usual flippant sulky replies because heaven forbid he asks a valid question.

Personally if we lost through bad luck, outplayed them and they grabbed a sneaky goal I would nt be concerned. However this is a game that I would hope, particularly being at home, we would look to stamp our authority on. A win on Saturday would go with my theory of taking maximum points from entirely winnable games whilst picking up the odd point here and there as we have recently.

What I don t want is a dozen games in to be off the pace. We ve never been good chasers

Tonylinc

When will some of you on here realise that Thorn is, as someone but it earlier, a "budget manager". He was absolutely spot on. Andy Thorn is no more a manager than me. He has not the slightest clue as to man management, tactics or formations.

Otis

Be interesting to see what happens Saturday.

Whatever the outcome it should be a game where we have most of the possession, pressure and control. You can always lose to the odd fluke goal or mistake or down to bad luck, but it really should a game we dominate.

Tonylinc

Further to what I said earlier; I fully expect him to last the season simply because Sisu can not afford to sack him BUT if we do well, it will be in spite of him and NOT because of him.

Macca

Be interesting to see what happens Saturday.

Whatever the outcome it should be a game where we have most of the possession, pressure and control. You can always lose to the odd fluke goal or mistake or down to bad luck, but it really should a game we dominate.

My feelings entirely

Martin180

I would say the performance is more important than the result Saturday .If we can put Bury under pressure and play some decent attacking football , then that bodes well rather than an OG or a deflected winner .

We must start hurting teams at the Ricoh ,cause we need a decent home record to get promoted

Tad

We desperately need to play a full 90 mins. I went into this season with no expectations - you can't with this club.

WeWillBeBack

Man Utd fan 1: Coventry would never overtake us

Man Utd fan 2: You're right, we stuffed them when we played them last... oh wait

Solid logic, well played.
Cant see Man u ever dropping out of the premiership in my lifetime, so we'll never overtake them in leagues.... Blackburn however, is a different story.

Sky Blues

We desperately need to play a full 90 mins. I went into this season with no expectations - you can't with this club.

Don't "we" (and I assume by this you mean Coventry City) play 90 mins every game? Or are you wanting the refs to cut out that pesky "time added on" which, in our case, just improves the chances of us losing another one goal lead? :D

Colonel Mustard

If we draw again its 3/9 points is theoretically the same as 1 win 2 losses.I'm sure fans would be angrier if we lost 2.but three draws looks better for some reason.and if we lose then it is confirmed that this club is cursed and we as fans will die miserable lol

This is an important point. Fans are waaaaay too enamoured with "no defeats as yet", "unbeaten so far". Means sod all if you're getting weak draws. The point from a draw is well overvalued.

BurbageSkyBlues

A draw prevents the opposition from gaining two more points. It's not just about what we gain, mathematically.

Three draws is better than one win and two defeats.

Think about it!

Martin180

This is an important point. Fans are waaaaay too enamoured with "no defeats as yet", "unbeaten so far". Means sod all if you're getting weak draws. The point from a draw is well overvalued.
Getting weak draws against promotion favourites and away at a team who has started the season very well ,definetly weak

God i hate the football manager era :facepalm:

Colonel Mustard

A draw prevents the opposition from gaining two more points. It's not just about what we gain, mathematically.

Contextually, sure, a point can have value. As a general principle, it's not something to be celebrated.

Three draws is better than one win and two defeats. Think about it!

Completely depends on who the team is playing, what the standings are, goal difference etc. Think about it.

Grendel

46 draws and you are relegated.

Colonel Mustard

Getting weak draws against promotion favourites and away at a team who has started the season very well ,definetly weak

It's really not about the first games. People seem infatuated with them. It's more to do with the utter toothlessness of Thorn's teams.

God i hate the football manager era :facepalm:

I hate fallacious argument techniques, but what can you do?

Martin180

Well i guess as we have had 2 draws from 2 ,we must be bound for 46 of them .Hey makes the coupon easier every Saturday lunchtime :facepalm:

BurbageSkyBlues

Contextually, sure, a point can have value. As a general principle, it's not something to be celebrated.

Completely depends on who the team is playing, what the standings are, goal difference etc. Think about it.

Sorry , Colonel, but I think you may have missed my point. Whilst I agree that a draw is not something to celebrate, wins are better etc, it is the mathematical advantage gained by our opponents, if we win one and lose two.....

Two defeats means that our opponents have shared six points between them, compared to only three points if we drew all of the three games.

Otis

It's all about the nature of the draw for me. That can sometimes give a better indication of the bigger picture.

Had we played well in both games thus far we would all be feeling a bit better about ourselves. Fact is, we didn't play well on Saturday and only played well for a 20 minute spell on Tuesday. This doesn't exactly instill me with any confidence that we will play particularly well against Bury.

We didn't even finish the game on top against Sheff Utd and as the end of the 90 mins approached there was only one team who looked likely to bag the winner.

AT seemed to feel we played a lot better than the way I feel we played for sure, and that does worry me a tad. Maybe it was just words for the press and he gave his players a bit of a rocket after the game, I don't know.

Saturday is very important in terms of us laying down a marker .... cos we haven't done it so far and if I was the Bury management and players I wouldn't be at all fearful of us if I had watched the Sheff Utd game on video.

As I said in a previous post, we need to dominate possession on Saturday and control the game. That is a given.

Astute

Saturday is very important in terms of us laying down a marker .... cos we haven't done it so far and if I was the Bury management and players I wouldn't be at all fearful of us if I had watched the Sheff Utd game on video.

Or they could look at it as a team that had chances to win in both games whilst not playing well against teams that have won their other games. One of them favourites to win the division, and the other game was an away point where that club won their next game away 3-1.

Macca

Or they could look at it as a team that had chances to win in both games whilst not playing well against teams that have won their other games. One of them favourites to win the division, and the other game was an away point where that club won their next game away 3-1.

One things for sure. The improvement ( that I think will happen) needs to come within the next half a dozen games because playing well in small blocks will see us in our favorite 14 th position by Xmas :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

Three draws is better than one win and two defeats.

Think about it!

Yep.... I've thought about it. A draw STILL only gives us ONE point! It's US that also lose two points!! :facepalm:
Fook going for draws all the time!

Stevec189

The reason Asaturday is important is if hey turn up thinking they will we at a stroll as some people seem to think on here then we are doomed. If we turn up and play well and treat the opposition with a bit of respect we will win. We also need the fan to turn up and gt behind the team. Unfortunately I think people will drop this game and go to Birmingham which is frankly a meaningless game. PUSB

Black6Osprey

If they have watched the games and Im sure they have, they will have seen what everyone has seen. 180 minutes where we played well for about 40 minutes and gave the opposition 150 minutes to try and score. We cant keep using this excuse that every team we play is somehow a world beater and what should we expect. If Sheff Utd are favs to go up Yeovil were also amongst the favs to go down. We need to pull our fingers out and play with some confidence. If we don't believe we can get out of this crap league then we won't.

torchomatic

I'm not unhappy with two draws. I think we need to start on winning ways on Saturday though.

Skyblue Lad

Must win game in my eyes and if we do win then its been a good start to the season but if we lose then my expectations will have to drop i guess i know its a hard league to get out of but im confidant we can do it first time round PUSB

Colonel Mustard

Sorry , Colonel, but I think you may have missed my point. Whilst I agree that a draw is not something to celebrate, wins are better etc, it is the mathematical advantage gained by our opponents, if we win one and lose two.....

I didn't miss that, which is why I stressed that a point could be valuable in the right context (e.g. away against a relegation rival or top team). But I'm not talking about individual cases, rather the misguided approval of "a point on the board", "the undefeated run".

Eric Black is one of my favourite case studies for this. He may have been responsible for some shocking results as well as the great ones, but his cavalier football racked up the points. The meek football that AT's team plays is going to continue to cost us.

Nick

Administrator
I didn't miss that, which is why I stressed that a point could be valuable in the right context (e.g. away against a relegation rival or top team). But I'm not talking about individual cases, rather the misguided approval of "a point on the board", "the undefeated run".

Eric Black is one of my favourite case studies for this. He may have been responsible for some shocking results as well as the great ones, but his cavalier football racked up the points. The meek football that AT's team plays is going to continue to cost us.

I have to agree. Thorn excited me when he first took over and said he would just go all out and hope to simply score more than them with exciting attacking football :( Then he just sits back all the time :(

The CableGuy

I hope - pray - that we put in a convincing performance for the vast majority of 90 minutes + stoppage time. I'm struggling to remember when was the last time we did that (Hinckley excluded).

We need an early goal. Teams like Bury will come to CV6 and be inspired to play well in a great stadium against one of the 'big' teams. They will be very happy if its still 0-0 after 20 minutes or so and we are struggling like frack to break them down, or even (god forbid) struggling to keep them out. They've already beaten us in the Cup so this, like every other game, won't be the walkover which I fear people are expecting.

An early goal will take a lot of the tension out the game. All we have to do then is hope we actually keep the bloody lead!

nicksig

If we lose on Saturday then serious questions have to be asked. Rushden and Diamonds were in this league a few years ago - so that is the level we are now competing at. No disrespect to any of the teams in L1 but we have to be aiming for the top 6 and to do that we need at least 70 points and need to be winning our home games. After a medocre start this is a must win game as away games at the likes of Tranmere will be comparatively tough. I think we'll win 3-1. PUSB

Otis

Last season was different, but this season there is absolutely no excuse for us not playing attacking football.

Users who are viewing this thread