Will Saturday make your mind up one way or the other? (1 Viewer)

Black6Osprey

Okay so we've had a potentially tricky away game and a home game against the bookies favs. So home to Bury on Saturday is this the seasons turning point one way or the other?

For me if we don't win this one and actually play for more than 30 minutes of the match I will be starting to doubt this current team of world beaters.

ajsccfc

You can't really have a turning point in a season three games in. That's not long enough to have anything to turn from or to.

skyblueman

Need to see a dozen competitive games IMO before we can really judge the team & manager

Having said that I'll be more than a bit annoyed if we don't win as I'm bringing along my 7 year old to his first every game and this is supposed to be my banker!!!

So come on SkyBlues if you can't do for me then do it for a wide-eyed 7 year old in his brand new kit who is currently beside himself with excitement waiting for Saturday so he can go to his first ever football game with his dad - just like I did 38 years ago

I thought Yeovil would be a tough test and I didn't expect to get anything from Sheff. Saturday is where the season really starts for me. Although I'll not be too disappointed if we play well and draw 2-2. We must score more than 1 as a sign of intent imo.

Black6Osprey

You can't really have a turning point in a season three games in. That's not long enough to have anything to turn from or to.

I dont mean as a literal turning point as you say its way too early for one of them. Its more about expectations. I believed at the start of the season we could get top 6 but if we lose Saturday especially with a poor display then physcologically I will start to doubt this team can do it. All they do is play football so they cant keep hiding behind this whole gelling together gaining fitness bull they come out with if they play badly.

junglej13

Saturdays game reminds me very much of the grimsby game the year strachan was sacked. I imagine everyone will turn up expecting a 3 or 4-0 win and if it doesnt happen the atmosphere will turn sour v.quickly!.. Having said this I think we will win about 3-0.

stupot07

I don't think it's a must win game, but there needs to be a good sustained performance, and one that lasts longer than 20 mins and includes more than one shot on target from open play.

Diehard Si

Probably not because I've got a white water rafting booked for 3pm till 5 so won't have a clue what's happening. Typical.

torchomatic

Definitely. If we don't win at least 6-0 then I'm going to support Racing Club Warwick.

Otis

I won't lower my expectations as I have already predicted 14th place.

We are at the moment in 15th. ;)

Can't judge after 3 games, but as Stupot says, we need more than a 20 minute spell of playing well. We should at least be dominating possession at home against teams such as Bury. If anything I was expecting us to be in control of most of our home games with the opposition being very difficult to break down.

ajsccfc

I think it's fair to say that Coventry City vs Bury in the third tier will provide the kind of rip-roaring adrenaline rush that no extreme sport can ever hope to match.

Last edited:

WillieStanley

After last nights sencond half performance where we were passing and defending a lot better, seeing that we were rough around the edges yet still able to give it a go, also seeing how poor the supposed favourites are, I think, at this stage, we should be on for at least top 6.

I reserve the right to change my expectation to higher or lower as the season progresses.

I was ultimately disappointed with McSheffrey. Even with the knowledge of last season I just feel that as a local lad and a senior player, when he comes on the pitch it should add that extra bit of passion.

covross

Andy Thorns game against Bury is 'Gordon Strachans against Grimsby'. If its no win in 3 then surely Thorn has to go. The trouble is SISU don't have the money to sack him or get another decent manager in. I call them 'budget managers' as in Thorn, Kean, and Appleton. They're employed due to financial restraints rather than managerial ability. pusb

craigSKYBLUE

If we draw again its 3/9 points is theoretically the same as 1 win 2 losses.I'm sure fans would be angrier if we lost 2.but three draws looks better for some reason.and if we lose then it is confirmed that this club is cursed and we as fans will die miserable lol

Samo

I agree it is a pivotal game in the sense that if we lose, the thorn outers will become a majority and that will be the beginning of the end for him. I do believe in giving a manager every chance but a loss v Bury will be too much for many.
I have advocated giving Thorn a chance with 'his' team but the possession stats and lack of attempts are starting to ring alarm bells.

In a normal Cov season one defeat means very little. If we are to mount a serious challenge then this is a must win game so it will be an important indicator.

skybluedaze

I believe that you should be patient, at least until around the 10 game marker. At that point better judgement can be made. I personally think a point away at Yeovil won't look too shabby come the end of the season. Nor will a point at home against the leagues favourites. Bury won't be no push overs either. They had a good point against a good Brentford side first game, followed by a narrow defeat against the team at the top. Doncaster will be top 6 all season. It's a difficult league to get out of, but i think the squad will be good enough in the end given time. Even if it's a draw saturday, it's not the end of the world, it's still an unbeaten start to the season.

Jackoskyblue

If we take the season in groups of 10 games from the 1st 10 i think we should target 15 points id be happy with that return

Paxman II

You have to expect a win, you can't just keep asuming we will have tough games all the time. It's league 1, we have one of the strongest squads on paper. saturday I expect a win, yes.
If we don't then the tone may be set already and be harder to overcome.

Otis

I just had this feeling that we would have an indifferent start to the season.

I do very much want to be proved wrong, but if we do draw again on Saturday, or worse still, lose, then the alarm bells are really going to start ringing for a lot of City fans and suddenly, daft as it sounds, only three games in, the pressure is then going to be very much on AT.

Users who are viewing this thread