Wigan / Wolves interested in Ben Stevenson (1 Viewer)

johnwillomagic

I can't see that one myself Wigan doing pretty well at the moment cannot see how he would get in their team. Maybe teams view him as being good for Championship Football? Brentford were interested too after all.

He has not really featured much for us and with Kelly not far from being back if we got a fair fee for him and could use it to strengthen over areas of team it could be a good move for all parties. I actually quite like him as a player but do think he has gone downhill and he is stagnating rather at present.

lifeskyblue

A strange one. I think he has gone backward this season and hasn’t impressed when he has been on. But last year (like Baylis this season) looked as if he could step up a higher level. Quite possible Wigan might take a gamble on him for a couple years time when he fills out a bit. But can’t see any fee matching what was touted a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

I thought when he was playing well he looked better than Maddison did. He may have gone a little backwards, but I think he is a very talented player who could go on to really good things.

covcity4life

He was really hood when first ca.e on scene but now going throhgh a bad pstch

I wouldn't sell.though. we need to keep midfielders quite frankly and also hes still so young and could easily turn his form aroind.

He may not play much in league 2 but perhaps he could become out main man in league 1 next year. Bayliss will no doubt lose form at some point, happens to all youngsters

Lets keep him i say

Cavan O'Doherty

Disagree completely with letting him go. We've not seen the best of him and Doyle isn't going to last forever (you'd think). I actually think he should be getting a run if Bayliss is tired.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
He's had his chance to make a stake in the team and he hasn't taken it. He shouldn't be put in the team based on his potential, his performances whilst in the team haven't been good enough.

ceetee

He's had his chance to make a stake in the team and he hasn't taken it. He shouldn't be put in the team based on his potential, his performances whilst in the team haven't been good enough.
And that's the problem.
I think he might come good again if he had a good run in the side, but in his position, you haven't got the luxury of persisting with him, especially now we have alternatives

steve82

Well MR obviously isn't too keen on him, had the chance to bring him on yesterday for Bayliss yet chose to let a flagging Bayliss drift in and out the game for the second half.

Stevenson has gone backwards in his development this season, he's gone stale almost. Hasn't thrived with the competition for places or stepped up when given a game.

Talented boy but with others here and emerging I'd let him leave for a sensible price. Let him kick start his career again with a sale structured with that in mind and offer Bayliss the best contract we realistically can do to a young man with a few good games under his belt.

CovisGod

I'd be a lot less bothered about losing Stevenson than Shipley or Bayliss.

He's a talented lad but if we were offered a decent fee is sell him for sure.

RoboCCFC90

There are a lot of arguments that the physicality doesn’t suit Stevenson and he’s wasted, it doesn’t suit Bayliss, nor did it suit Jodi Jones... Bayliss especially seems to be unaffected by the physicality, so I’m unsure that stands as a valid argument.

Stevenson had a purple patch last season, but hasn’t carried that on, with Liam Kelly now in training it’s going to push Ben further down the order.

I’d be happy for him to go for a decent fee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

What chance was that then? He had a long spell in a poor side last season and did ok. He's had a couple of games this season.

stevefloyd

If it means getting another goal scoring player over the line let him go promotion over loyalty and he definitely lacks the steel needed for this division

higgs

What kind of money would tempt you to sell him?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cavan O'Doherty

What kind of money would tempt you to sell him?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
A few hundred grand would do it. No ones going to pay over 500k for someone who can't get in a league 2 side. Would happily sell if it meant a proven striker coming in.

skyblueelephant76

What chance was that then? He had a long spell in a poor side last season and did ok. He's had a couple of games this season.

I don't think he's played well since he got sent off last season. He wasn't the same player when he came back in the side and didn't have a good second half of the season. It's been over 12 months since he really looked good, I'd happily move him on.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think his career was set highly too early and he’s been anonymous when he’s played for the past 12 months.

Can’t see him shifting Doyle, Kelly and now Bayliss out of the CM positions anytime soon and don't believe he’s an adequate replacement for any of them should we need to call upon him either

Perhaps he needs to play in a higher division as seemed to be a player, early on, that wanted, or perhaps needed more time on the ball, which he won’t get in L2.

If the price is right I wouldn’t be upset if we let him go.

Early on I did think he offered us more than maddison, as he could both attack and defend, so I hope if he did move on he goes on to be successful. Or even if he stays, I hope he turns out to be a good player. I just don’t think he fits in with what we want to do right now and at his stage of his career, he needs gamesif he’s going to improve

Cavan O'Doherty

Funny hearing posters bemoaning SISU selling players in January advocating selling one

Players that are crucial to our promotion push e.g Bayliss, Mcdonald, Willis. Stevenson will not be missed if he goes as he's no way near the team at the minute. Surely even you can understand that.

fernandopartridge

Players that are crucial to our promotion push e.g Bayliss, Mcdonald, Willis. Stevenson will not be missed if he goes as he's no way near the team at the minute. Surely even you can understand that.
I can think beyond the next 3 months. What happens when Bayliss goes in the summer, Doyle might decide that he doesn't fancy League 1 again and we're down to Kelly?

clint van damme

A few hundred grand would do it. No ones going to pay over 500k for someone who can't get in a league 2 side. Would happily sell if it meant a proven striker coming in.

I would be very disappointed if I found out that the recruitment of a striker this window was reliant on moving on an experienced midfielder, and yes, he's not that experienced, but compared to most of our current crop of midfielders he is.

johnwillomagic

so if the above happens of course we would not get anyone in during the post season,,,,,what a ridiculous argument!
At our level there will be plenty of comings and going at end of season.

I am looking more if it frees up a wage and allows us to get another on paper good option up top I would do it.

I think as I said he could be a player who may be better suited to Championship football then league 2.

I am a realist and accept that we will always have the need to sell players from time to time regardless of who has owned the club this has always been the case since I have supported us,

fernandopartridge

so if the above happens of course we would not get anyone in during the post season,,,,,what a ridiculous argument!
At our level there will be plenty of comings and going at end of season.

I am looking more if it frees up a wage and allows us to get another on paper good option up top I would do it.

I think as I said he could be a player who may be better suited to Championship football then league 2.

I am a realist and accept that we will always have the need to sell players from time to time regardless of who has owned the club this has always been the case since I have supported us,
And the complete lack of continuity, which is essential for teams trying to get back up the leagues prevails.

Cavan O'Doherty

And the complete lack of continuity, which is essential for teams trying to get back up the leagues prevails.

I can't see us getting back to the championship with the current ownership anyway. League one will be the max we can get to under Sisu. You need to have a certain amount of investment to get to the championship which we know they won't deliver.

clint van damme

If it means keeping Bayliss & Shipley til the end of the season cash in.

we can't expect those 2 to perform week in and week out until the end of the season, they both looked tired yesterday.
I think Stevenson will have a part to play before the end of the season. The squads already thin on the ground as it is we need to be adding to it.

dadgad

Baylis will need a rest (probably already does) it is only the depth of the squad that will keep us going. Keep.

Users who are viewing this thread