Why Thorn is a good manager - Reasons Listed (1 Viewer)

Astute

7. Nice Bloke

Please feel free to fill in 1 to 6

And I suppose you would have started this thread if we would have held on for a couple more minutes? Just the same as it goes quiet on the AT out brigade each time we win.

Yes, we need points quickly. So do other teams just above us. Our home form is very good lately. Need to do better away. Things are getting better now we have a couple more players. We need a couple more though to be able to come off the bench when needed. The players that we see comments on here that AT should have put on last night get dissed by the same people for being crap.

Otis

I personally think we are too defensive away from home. I think we must be sitting back too much trying to either gain drwas or cling on to leads and when it gets to the last 5 mins or so and we're getting bombarded by the opposition we simply can't cope.

We know we are short in numbers, so the only other thing we can do is to try something different those last 10 mins in.

Astute

We were still attacking last night when in the lead. Should we have been sitting back and let them throw the kitchen sink at us?

Otis

I think we should be attacking. Too many times previously though we have defended deep trying to hang on.

city old boy

1..eerrr..........
2..uurrm.........
3..eerrrr.........
4..uurrrm........
5 .eerrr...........
6..uurrrm.......
7. His favorite post match comments

torchomatic

If he HAD made substitutions earlier and we'd have lost, the threads would have been the same but with a "what did he make substitutions for when we were winning" byline. Thorn will never do anything right for a lot of people on here.

We go over the same old ground when we lose, but not so much when we win...

Grendel

Thorn will never do anything right for a lot of people on here.

I would say for an even greater amount of people he can do no wrong.

torchomatic

I find after a defeat like last night then the majority act like hysterical girls at a Take That concert.

Yes, AT makes mistakes. So do the players, so do the owners. So does everyone. When people get bored of bashing SISU, they have a go at Thorn. If we win on Saturday they'll forget about Thorn and turn their attention back to SISU or they'll think of something else to moan about, such as the London Supporters Club. Then, after the next defeat it'll be back to Thorn again.

I would dearly love to put some of the people on this forum in Thorns shoes to see how they do.

I would say for an even greater amount of people he can do no wrong.

Grendel

I find after a defeat like last night then the majority act like hysterical girls at a Take That concert.
Agreed but that is football. Win a game we are safe, lose a game we are down - that is the same anywhere - it is the emotion of football.

Yes, AT makes mistakes. So do the players, so do the owners. So does everyone. When people get bored of bashing SISU, they have a go at Thorn.
This I do not quite see as I do not see the link with the board. You will find very few SISU supporters here I think as they have treated the club poorly. No-one really expects anything other than a relegation struggle. This does not mean that Thorn is above critciscm for mistakes or should not be praised when he gets things right (Boro). I think the truth is many are very over protective as they are fearful any critiscm will let SISU off - to me they are separate issues and statements like he is the best manager since Black, no-one can do better, he deserves a medal are tedious.

I would dearly love to put some of the people on this forum in Thorns shoes to see how they do.

He is a paid football manager and flack goes with the territory. If he cannot take that he should never have took the job.

city old boy

if he had made substitutions earlier and we'd have lost, the threads would have been the same but with a "what did he make substitutions for when we were winning" byline. Thorn will never do anything right for a lot of people on here.

we've only won 5 times

torchomatic

Moff

And they've probably been the five quietest times on the forum all season.

Which highlights two things,

1) The forum has been very noisy all season

2) Its February and we have won, 5, yes 5 games all season. Out of the cups in the first match of each and bottom of the table. I hear Thorn is in the frame for the England job with stats like that.

Moff

Is Thorn a good manager as he is,

1) Joy Seppallas secret lover
2) Onye Igwes secret lover
3) Was Ken Dulieu's lover, but that ended in tears when Ken went public and showed his love and joined Andy on the bench

...allegedly ;)

Moff

I find this quite suprising for 2 reasons,

1) In tarring some fans as hysterical girls, you ironically sound like one yourself

2) I would never have guessed you were a Take That fan, but hope you enjoyed thier concert :whistle:

CUS Wyken

If he HAD made substitutions earlier and we'd have lost, the threads would have been the same but with a "what did he make substitutions for when we were winning" byline. Thorn will never do anything right for a lot of people on here.

That is a silly statement. Fact of the matter is we lost and it was down to HH been tired and making a mistake for the equaliser. Why Thorn didn't take him off i do not know.

Also Blackpool had 3 fresh pair of legs on the pitch, surely it would have made sense to bring on some fresh legs.. He only made a sub in the 86th minute. Bizarre decsions in my eyes.

Otis

That is a silly statement. Fact of the matter is we lost and it was down to HH been tired and making a mistake for the equaliser. Why Thorn didn't take him off i do not know.

Also Blackpool had 3 fresh pair of legs on the pitch, surely it would have made sense to bring on some fresh legs.. He only made a sub in the 86th minute. Bizarre decsions in my eyes.

Does seem odd.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
There are always going to be debates as to whether subs should be brought on sooner or later. I didnt go to last nights match but I think Kevin Gallacher (a seasoned respected pro ) summed it up pretty wel last night. CCFC were crying out for fresh legs with 15 to go and you cannot defend on the penalty spot against teams. It isnt the first time imo that there has been problems with substitutions

The issues it raises for me are
- I think AT because of inexperience perhaps reacts too late to situations - he is learning but it keeps reoccurring does he need help and would he accept it ?

- It seems there is a problem with the team lasting the full 90 minutes plus added on time - do we have the strength of minds and body to do this ?

- why given an experienced defence (Christie aside perhaps) did they get deeper and deeper - to defend the penalty spot?

- when legs are tired and the pressure is on we need a strong leader - do we have one ?

- It was obvious to many (including ex pros) it seems that changes were necessary last night, why couldnt the touchline team & manager see that ?

- making substitutions gives a tired team new legs and a breather doesnt it? It can break up the other teams rhythm and pressure cant it ? Why does our management team not see that?

- defending in my mind starts from the front - the front two ran their legs off so make a change, add a midfielder so we play higher up the pitch, HH is 37 out for 5 months his legs will go so replace him, play higher up the pitch. We set up to retain the ball too deep so that when the pressure is on we get deeper still it invites pressure doesnt it ? it allows the other team most of the pitch to play in doesnt it ? Surely the manager coaches and senior players should see that shouldnt they ?

- we have according to the manager a team good enough to be much higher, according to him our stats other than goal scoring indicate a top ten team, so why do so many simply blame SISU for the losses on the pitch. They are part of the problem but not all of it. Using AT's logic the squad we have had this season are failing to convert their ability into results - is that because of the players or manager or SISU or all ?

No point in changing AT - its almost certainly too late to make the difference. But he has like all others involved at the club made mistakes (he is human) last night he hesitated and it cost us is what I take from the Blackpool game. Being a nice guy isnt enough

Reality check for some supporters after the Boro game - as AT says "we move on " - almost certainly to Division 1 sadly

Last edited:

Otis

Quite often clever managers will send on an attacker when his team is on the back foot as if gives the opposition something to think about and can disrupt their ascendancy.

Nick

Administrator
Quite often clever managers will send on an attacker when his team is on the back foot as if gives the opposition something to think about and can disrupt their ascendancy.

Yep, if it is a runner such as Nimley, O Donovan etc it also helps push them back a little bit as they are being closed down further up the pitch :D

rob9872

It's ok, for a moment there I thought you said O'Donovan

Astute

So who could we have put on to do that job then? All our remaining fit strikers were already on the pitch.

rob9872

Freddie would have run them ragged with his immense workrate.

Nick

Administrator
So who could we have put on to do that job then? All our remaining fit strikers were already on the pitch.

It was one of the options to bring on a striker, I personally would have brought Wood on at LB and tucked HH in.

Even if he brought baker on and just told him to run and close people down it would have been better than doing nothing.

BackRoomRummermill

The fact of the matter is that who ever replaces Thorn, as I think his days are well and truely numbered has nothing to lose. We are adrift at the bottom and sunk.

If we keep AT who is to say he wont take us down to league two?

I wonder when that happens will all the AT love children defend him then.

It is simple guys no experience

Thorn has no experience at being a full time manager at this level, being at Cov is not the time to experiment being a manager and all that goes with the job especially when the owners are a bunch of bandits , taking us down to league one or two means nothing to him in all reality, he will still get a handsome salary and if he gets sacked he will move on and think Coventry City who in a couple of years when he is doing well at somewhere like Harrow and Weald as the big time charlie manager.

Please go AT before everyone finds you out mate.

Maybe half the problem is SISU cannot afford to sack him and pay him off

Grendel

He could take us into the local pub league and some will still say he is the best manager we ever had.

Otis

The fact of the matter is that who ever replaces Thorn, as I think his days are well and truely numbered has nothing to lose. We are adrift at the bottom and sunk.

If we keep AT who is to say he wont take us down to league two?

I wonder when that happens will all the AT love children defend him then.

It is simple guys no experience

Thorn has no experience at being a full time manager at this level, being at Cov is not the time to experiment being a manager and all that goes with the job especially when the owners are a bunch of bandits , taking us down to league one or two means nothing to him in all reality, he will still get a handsome salary and if he gets sacked he will move on and think Coventry City who in a couple of years when he is doing well at somewhere like Harrow and Weald as the big time charlie manager.

Please go AT before everyone finds you out mate.

Maybe half the problem is SISU cannot afford to sack him and pay him off

Well, think that's it in a nutshell. If the club had a bit of money Thorn would have been sacked a long time ago.

CCFC123

I totally respect your view but Dean Saunders can never be described as experienced at Donny, when all he has maneged is wrexham in the conference.
Jaclkett at Millwall is an experienced coach at this level, but the fans don't like his style of play, just look at there website

Cotterill at Forest has an shockingly bad CV, just look at the Forest Forums, they really don't like him.
Looking through Europe surely there is a manager out of work who could have helped us, Nillson an ex manager could do better.

Thorn ,if he has too stay needs help or advice, he will ruin his career if he can't change this round. Who will touch him with the CV that includes managing the worst Championship team ever, which we will be labelled if things don't change soon.

The Rev

100% agree. God only knows what Thorn could see that last twenty minutes last night.

Dave Jones would do the job till then end of the season I'm sure.

he is a scout that took advantage of our financial plight to get the job, not his fault but clearly out of his depth. what really pains me is when i here the lads love him and training is so upbeat, im not surprised they love him, he picks them and has handed out undeserved contracts to some of them, they are gonna love him aint they, we know he has spotted a player before but unfortunately he had the chance to to bring in goals and he wasted the money on mcdonald so he has to take blame for the shambles

Grendel

I said this in September and got taken apart because I said it, you are 100% right.

Johnnythespider

It has been said many times by those who are calling for Thorn to go that there is no viable alternative to sisu, well i say the same to you now about Thorn. There is no viable alternative, if there was it would have happened by now. yes he's made mistakes but so has every manager we've had. Get over it, sisu are here, thorn is here, no one is interested in what the fans of this club think.

Otis

It has been said many times by those who are calling for Thorn to go that there is no viable alternative to sisu, well i say the same to you now about Thorn. There is no viable alternative, if there was it would have happened by now. yes he's made mistakes but so has every manager we've had. Get over it, sisu are here, thorn is here, no one is interested in what the fans of this club think.

There are viable alternatives. Sisu just won't cough up the money.

Johnnythespider

That's why they are not viable, if there was money available i'd be calling for change with the rest of you. I'm not defending thorn here, just saying it how i see it.
There are viable alternatives. Sisu just won't cough up the money.

Users who are viewing this thread