Why Thorn is a good manager - Reasons Listed (1 Viewer)

BackRoomRummermill

7. Nice Bloke

Please feel free to fill in 1 to 6

torchomatic

Oh here we go. Doesn't take long, does it?

rob9872

1) He isn't Peter Reid

Cobi Jones's Dreads

1. Pretty passing (Sideways) Football.
2. Confidence in the younger players.
3 Great eye for talent (Cody :D)
4. Now I'm struggling.

That said i'm fully behind Thorn and will be untill he get's poached off us when we are top of League 1 next season, you heard it here first. :)

ccfcway

he was 3 minutes away from helping mastermind the great escape..

Now he should get the chop....

Grendel

Yawn can someone change the manager please

BackRoomRummermill

Torchy please feel free to be positive like , we were away etc and it was Blackpool etc etc

We are not allowed to mention the fact that he is totally out of his depth wrt to tactics and holding onto a winning position for the upteenth time in a game and we are now in deep trouble at the bootom

KersleyDigs

Why the fuck didn't SISU put Wood on with 10 minutes left? they undermine Thorn in everything else they do, why stop at tactical calls? We need Igwe on the bench

Colonel Mustard

Forget about SISU and forget about the quality of players AT has for a moment. Gallacher called it - AT didn't make substitutions and tactical adjustments when necessary. He could see it a mile away...why does AT keep getting a completely free pass from some?

lordsummerisle

Forget about SISU and forget about the quality of players AT has for a moment. Gallacher called it - AT didn't make substitutions and tactical adjustments when necessary. He could see it a mile away...why does AT keep getting a completely free pass from some?

It's the self-defeating Hate Sisu/Love Thorn attitude, Sisu = Evil, therefore Thorn = Good.

Let Sisu off the hook for employing a blatantly unsuitable manager, no matter the financial circumstances.

The Reverend Skyblue

Foe the first time since i came on this site, i actualy agree with the colonel, It was clear on listening to skyblueplayer that subs and fresh legs needed to be made. Gallacher was screaming for him to make these decisions , but no Thorn for the umpteeth time this season did'nt know what to do.

An experienced manager would have saved us this season, SISU went for the cheap option with Thorn, but in the end it will cost them millions when we enter the abyss that is League 1.
Yes its SISU'S fault, that we all agree on, but FFS does'nt Thorn take a lot of the blame. We are good enough to get in front in a lot of games, so surely even the most pro Thorn sympathiser's must agree that the managers decisions are costing us a lot of points.

I want to keep Thorn, but as scout only, but we need an experienced manager now , more than we have ever needed one.

The Rev

BackRoomRummermill

This reaction is inevitable from fans.

The point of the thread is a chance for some posiitive towards AT which from reading the above replies has not been forthcoming.

Nuff said

Brighton Sky Blue

Foe the first time since i came on this site, i actualy agree with the colonel, It was clear on listening to skyblueplayer that subs and fresh legs needed to be made. Gallacher was screaming for him to make these decisions , but no Thorn for the umpteeth time this season did'nt know what to do.

An experienced manager would have saved us this season, SISU went for the cheap option with Thorn, but in the end it will cost them millions when we enter the abyss that is League 1.
Yes its SISU'S fault, that we all agree on, but FFS does'nt Thorn take a lot of the blame. We are good enough to get in front in a lot of games, so surely even the most pro Thorn sympathiser's must agree that the managers decisions are costing us a lot of points.

I want to keep Thorn, but as scout only, but we need an experienced manager now , more than we have ever needed one.

The Rev

I'll ask again-who ticks all 3 boxes:
1. Is qualified and experienced enough to guide this squad out of trouble.
2. Would be willing to take on the job, including the ownership issues.
3. Is affordable on the club's current budget.

I don't think you'll find many answers to that-not completely disagreeing that a more experienced head would do nicely, but there's no realistic, better, affordable alternative.

Colonel Mustard

Experience doesn't matter. It is not a guarantor of anything. Some may like to believe that SISU are so universally hated that no man would take the job, but the truth is that they'd be swamped with applications like they always have been whenever there has been a vacancy.

Rioch, even Carsley. Give somebody else a shot at making the most of this opportunity.

Macca

1/ He has nothing to work with
2/ No one else would do the job
3/ He has nothing to work with
4/ He is a nice bloke
5/ He is a good scout
6/ SISU
7/ He is a good bloke
8/He has nothing to work with
9/ Who else would want the job
10/ He has nothing to work with

The Reverend Skyblue

I don't think you'll find many answers to that-not completely disagreeing that a more experienced head would do nicely, but there's no realistic, better, affordable alternative.

Your're one of the better posters on here, but there are managers out there who would jump at managing us. If Thorn is the future, then he desperately needs an experienced head along side him,sooner rather than later.

The team is good enough to go infront in a lot of games, but the manager is there to protect the lead. Protect the lead with subs etc, but it isn't a one off and it has happened about 5/6 times this season where we have gone in front and can't protect the lead. Who is at fault, well it isn't me, its not SISU, its down to Thorn, he does'nt make subs to protect the lead until it's too late and the game is lost. If it happened once then you could call it as a one off, but five times, come on who's fault is it, its the manager and the manager alone.

The Rev

Last edited:

Gaz

1. It's been over 6 months let's sack the manager
2.It's been over 6 months let's sack the manager
3.It's been over 6 months let's sack the manager
4.It's been over 6 months let's sack the manager
5.It's been over 6 months let's sack the manager
6.It's been over 6 months let's sack the manager
7. Nice Bloke

Brighton Sky Blue

Your're one of the better posters on here, but there are managers out there who would jump at managing us. If Thorn is the future, then he desperately needs an experienced head along side him,sooner rather than later.

The team is good enough to go infront in a lot of games, but the manager is there to protect the lead. Protect the lead with subs etc, but it isn't a one off and it has happened about 5/6 times this season where we have gone in front and can't protect the lead. Who is at fault, well it isn't me, its not SISU, its down to Thorn, he does'nt make subs to protect the lead until it's too late and the game is lost. If it happened once then you could call it as a one off, but five times, come on who's fault is it, its the manager and the manager alone.

The Rev

That's fair-and I'm not really disagreeing with you on Thorn being culpable for those mistakes when he's had a proper bench available to him. My point for 'experience' is based on what so many critics of the man keep pointing to-there are of course plenty of successful rookie managers out there with slim resources (take Dougie Freedman at Palace as an example). I'm just sick to the teeth of seeing us lose by solitary goals, and especially in this fashion-I've got my ticket for Reading already, but knowing what I'm probably going to see, what's the point? Fingers crossed that better times lie ahead for this club.

PUSB.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The Rev

An experienced manager would have (you state categorically here) saved the season?

Again, I invite you to look around us in the table. Notts Forest - there by a compound of Davies and Cotterill, both experienced managers. Doncaster managed by Dean Saunders, an experienced manager. Millwall, managed by Kenny Jackett, an experienced manager.....

The reality is 'experienced managers' are at the helm of clubs all around us.

The solution to our problems is a whole lot more complex than the two word cry if the oh-so obvious 'experienced manager'

The Reverend Skyblue

An experienced manager would have (you state categorically here) saved the season?

Again, I invite you to look around us in the table. Notts Forest - there by a compound of Davies and Cotterill, both experienced managers. Doncaster managed by Dean Saunders, an experienced manager. Millwall, managed by Kenny Jackett, an experienced manager.....

The solution to our problems is a whole lot more complex than the two word cry if the oh-so obvious 'experienced manager'

I totally respect your view but Dean Saunders can never be described as experienced at Donny, when all he has maneged is wrexham in the conference.
Jaclkett at Millwall is an experienced coach at this level, but the fans don't like his style of play, just look at there website

Cotterill at Forest has an shockingly bad CV, just look at the Forest Forums, they really don't like him.
Looking through Europe surely there is a manager out of work who could have helped us, Nillson an ex manager could do better.

Thorn ,if he has too stay needs help or advice, he will ruin his career if he can't change this round. Who will touch him with the CV that includes managing the worst Championship team ever, which we will be labelled if things don't change soon.

The Rev

Last edited:

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The problem is, dear chap, that most experienced managers don't need the cash. They can wait until a better option comes along. Across Europe, there must be literally hundreds of clubs more attractive than we.

We as a club are so unpalletable to be untrue. A poor playing staff, notorious owners, small crowds, a propensity to change managers too regularly, a selling-club reputation, a wage bill that's been cut - but needs further trimming, insecurity of future ownership, and slap-bang bottom of the league.

We're as attractive as a Frenchan's trousers; and liable to remain so for some time yet

BrisbaneBronco

Quite frankly I am pissed off with all the anti thorn talk on here. WTF can he do with both hands tied behind his back. In the circumstances he is doing pretty well. No one has thrashed us. When we lose it is usually by the odd goal. Still believe we can stay up and if we do what will be said about Thorn then?

Otis

Always respect your posts MMM. As you say it is quite complex. The fact is, it is a mixture of things that are leading to our downfall.

1. Lack of squad depth.
2. Lack of finances to compete with our rivals.
3. Having to play too many youngsters
4. The inexperience of the manager.

Yep, teams with experienced managers are also struggling, but it is impossible for us to comment on where it is going wrong for them as we don't view their games. Unfortunately, whichever way you dress it up, Thorn has made mistakes that have almost certainly cost us points. I am sure tiredness is a massive factor in our conceding of late goals and inexperience too of the youngsters ..... but Thorn has made a number of mistakes. There is no getting away from that.

Obviously now we will never know whether a different manager would have made those same mistakes, but I do have to say I would be very, very surprised if a different manger made some of the key ones. The Blackpool one at home keeps on haunting me and there is that thing that niggles away at the back of my mind and still irks me to this day. AT did say that Blackpool changed their tactics and did one or two things that he wasn't expecting .......think his words were ........ "They changed one or two things out there tonight and it caughts us out somewhat.' To which Geoff Foster replied, "That ball over the top of the fullbacks you mean?" "Yep," said Thorn." Yet Blackpool had been deploying this same tactic every single game since the Summer. It is this kind of inexperience that really worries me.

Think Thorn gets a number of things right, but lacks the real day to day managerial experience to avoid the silly novice errors he makes at times.

We have enough on our plate and to contend with without the added problem of having a novice at at the helm. I have been banging on for weeks about the need to bring some older, wiser head to help him out and before people say "but we've got no money" the likes of Bobby Gould has said he would do it for free. Wouldn't be surprised if Sillett would too.

CCFC Germany

I'm not sure, yet if I want Thorn sacked or not.
But if he really should get the axe - who's next ?
In the current state City's in, I do not see a quality manager joining Coventry that might be able to keep us up or bring us back... :(

Users who are viewing this thread