Why boo a player? (1 Viewer)

Steve.B50

I know Hussy was poor again last night but so was Brown, Baker and a few others.
Last night I was ashamed to be a City fan as the abuse that young lad had to take was not acceptable.
I had sat in the main stand last night and was near all the scouts from other clubs and they all were making comments, yes he was not very good but that sort of thing never helps a player or a team.
Hope he did give these supportes the finger, they deserve it.

And before anyone says anything in defence of these people I am a true supporter, home and AWAY.

C

Clive Plattini

People boo, because they are complete and utter morons.

scroobiustom

cretins, simply put

skybluesteve76

This season is like nothing I've ever witnessed! The mentality of some of our fans is unbelievable.
I've gotta say that there is a hardcore of people without a brain cell between them, booing, your not fit to wear the shirt, abusing players! Totally out of order. Absolute knuckle draggers!!
I think one the main issues is the expectancy, it's far too high. There is most definitely a post relegation hangover. People need to realise we are in league one because we aren't very good, Simple as that. We have no divine right to beat other teams and anyone with an ounce of common sense could see how hard it was gonna be.
Take Yeovil away, the booing after that game was so uncalled for! I left that game feeling like it was a point gained, I think yeovils start has all but proven that. On the way out I had a row with a chap, because he was pissed off we hadn't steam rollered them.
It seems that as the numbers have dwindled it has actually uncovered the fact that our hardcore support are actually a mixture of angry, thick,unemployed and chavvy school kids that like nothing more than to walk around like the world owes them a favour and it's okay to turn on fellow fans and players and ten year old ball boys for that matter!!

Astute

I have been going to games for 30 years or more now. I have never booed a player of ours. I have felt like doing it many times though. We have had some right shite players over the years. We have had players not even making any attempt to put effort in. I have shouted comments occasionally in the heat of the moment. Like when a player takes a shot that won't go in whilst having players unmarked in front of goal.

I am a supporter. I go to support my club. I go to support our players. There will always be players I don't want to play as I don't see them as good enough through lack of effort or skill, but they still get my support whilst playing for us.

Otis

it was coming from Blocks 14/15/16 I reckon. May be wrong of course, but I heard nothing from 19 or 20. As usual it was all deathly quiet in there.

Otis

I know Hussy was poor again last night but so was Brown, Baker and a few others.
Last night I was ashamed to be a City fan as the abuse that young lad had to take was not acceptable.
I had sat in the main stand last night and was near all the scouts from other clubs and they all were making comments, yes he was not very good but that sort of thing never helps a player or a team.
Hope he did give these supportes the finger, they deserve it.

And before anyone says anything in defence of these people I am a true supporter, home and AWAY.

Maybe we need to boo more. It might stop other clubs then scouting our players.

CCFC_Charlie

I was sitting in Block 17 and there a group of men aged 40-50 at the back of the stand booing Hussey, McSheffrey and Baker

Evans020

If half you guys had your own way then we should celebrate and cheer underachievement..consistently poor displays will eventually irritate people.he made at least 5-6 mistakes before booing commenced..
Do you..do you think other teams fans would accept such rubbish..

speedie87

If half you guys had your own way then we should celebrate and cheer underachievement..consistently poor displays will eventually irritate people.he made at least 5-6 mistakes before booing commenced..

Yes he was shocking, possibly worst 45m a city player has had but the booing made him get worse! Ok shout out in anger at a shocking pass but then next time he gets the ball don't boo him before he's done anything.

Evans020

Yes he was shocking, possibly worst 45m a city player has had but the booing made him get worse! Ok shout out in anger at a shocking pass but then next time he gets the ball don't boo him before he's done anything.
I just don't see why anybody has sympathy for hussey..he clearly wants away from the club..plays like he don't care..and overall is one of the worst left backs at city for a long time

speedie87

I just don't see why anybody has sympathy for hussey..he clearly wants away from the club..plays like he don't care..and overall is one of the worst left backs at city for a long time

If u ask me he plays like he's thinking what to do rather than just doing it, cus he knows he's having a mare and the crowd are on his case. He's trying to be to careful with his passing so waiting too long to release the ball and then getting closed down giving him less options. He should pass less and go on a few runs

Astute

I take it you are young compared to most of us. Also would say you have not been going to games for long.

So what good do you think will come from getting on the backs of our players? Do you think they go out to play badly? Try supporting our players. See if it helps. Or do you think making players fearful of making a mistake will help them play better?

skybluesteve76

I'd want away from the club if I was being abused constantly for the slightest error!

skybluedaze

Personally i never boo. Never have and never will. No good can come of it. It just creates an even more negative atmosphere. When has unconstructive abuse of a person ever resulted in a positive response or outcome? It not only affects the individual but the team as a whole.

Evans020

I take it you are young compared to most of us. Also would say you have not been going to games for long.

So what good do you think will come from getting on the backs of our players? Do you think they go out to play badly? Try supporting our players. See if it helps. Or do you think making players fearful of making a mistake will help them play better?
I'm sorry but this kind of assumption irritates me, I'm 28 and have been going to the city since I was 6 had a season ticket until I was 17 then joined the army..fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan and in my line of work constant mistakes would prove costly , being paid 10 times less a week if not more than these players*.
As a professional I find it worrying that under pressure this clown cannot perform.he's 23 , a grown man getting paid to do a job he loves.
Now I'm not saying I boo.but I don't condone anybody for doing so, you are no better/ worse a fan for not doing so.
Its about time Chris hussey got a grip and as my dad used to say to me...go out prove em wrong.
He needs to man up .
As for your assumption of me..you're wrong

Otis

As has been said, Hussey was awful. The booing started and he started playing even worse.

What does that tell you?

Astute

It said everything that anyone would need to know when it made Kilbane react to fans last week. One of the most experienced players we have ever had. He will have taken a lot of stick over the years, but a few weeks playing for us and he loses it with so called fans of ours.

How much longer do you think our players will give a damn about our club when we have fans that don't care about our players and wind them up whilst expecting them to play well all game every game.

ashbyjan

Booing a player for lack of effort or desire is one thing, not acceptable but understandable but booing a player for misplacing a pass, having a bad game or in the case of most of our players, simply not being very good is moronic and counter productive. Was Hussey not trying? No he simply isn't very good and is booing Hussey suddenly going to transform him into Ashley Cole? Of course not - he is a third division full back playing in a third division team. The sooner some of our fans realise that our players simply aren't very good and thats why we were able to sign them for nothing or why they got us relegated the better. We should not accept a lack of effort but a lack of ability comes with the mess our owners, past and present, have created. Don't blame the player for not being very good blame our owners and management for putting us in a state where all we can sign is freebie journeymen.

Black6Osprey

I don't boo or abuse any of my own team and to be honest I'm probably filled with too much apathy now to be bothered anyway. The point is though Hussey and Macca have been dreadful in every game they've been in this season. Did Baker get abuse against Birmingham? No, because he played well. Its simple really if play reasonably well (we're not talking Messi here) then they wont get any stick and if they do have a bad game then people will let it go as everyone has the odd bad game. Hussey and Macca have had nothing but bad games and so I dont have much sympathy for them getting stick. We cant afford to carry players like them.

Astute

I'm sorry but this kind of assumption irritates me, I'm 28 and have been going to the city since I was 6 had a season ticket until I was 17 then joined the army..fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan and in my line of work constant mistakes would prove costly , being paid 10 times less a week if not more than these players*.
As a professional I find it worrying that under pressure this clown cannot perform.he's 23 , a grown man getting paid to do a job he loves.
Now I'm not saying I boo.but I don't condone anybody for doing so, you are no better/ worse a fan for not doing so.
Its about time Chris hussey got a grip and as my dad used to say to me...go out prove em wrong.
He needs to man up .
As for your assumption of me..you're wrong

I wasn't fully wrong ;)

You are one of the younger ones on here, and most of the games you have been to were whilst being a kid.

With you being in the army you will know that different people handle pressure in different ways. Some people can, some people can't. Just because some get paid more it don't make the pressure any easier. You will have known from when you first joined up that it isn't always the biggest and strongest that can always handle the pressure. Would it make you any better at your job if you had lots of people shouting at you telling you how shite you are?

I admire you for what you do and have been through. I come from a forces family. Our eldest recently joined the army. It don't mean we have to agree on pressure and how it affects people though.

Black6Osprey

he is a third division full back playing in a third division team. The sooner some of our fans realise that our players simply aren't very good and thats why we were able to sign them for nothing or why they got us relegated the better.

Thats no argument. How many times do you see teams and players in lower leagues that look great and play really well but when they go up a level they just haven't got it. If Hussey is a third division player (which he is) then he should still be able to play well and look competitive in this league against this level of opposition.

TheSnoz

Evans, by definition booing is not supporting. Someone mentioned 'knuckledraggers' earlier on, that's about right. All teams have them, often overweight guys, lots to drink, a few pies (all part of the day out for them), hardly pay attention to the game, constantly on the lookout for some 'ruck.' They see the game through an alcoholic blur. Don't give a flying feck for anyone around them, and they're really vocal with their criticism! They haven't taken the game in, they may as well be at bear baiting, giving abuse is a sport for them. We have these guys in bucket loads. Morons all of them and they put a lot of real fans off.
Hussey did give them the finger and rightly so. Pillocks all of them.
Evans, if you boo, you aren't a supporter. End of.

ashbyjan

The point about being a third division player is inconsistency and lack of basic abililty. Hussey is not a great player, never will be, but he will have a good game then a bad game because of that lack of concentration, ability, consistency and booing him or anyone else won't change that fact. Hussey is being singled out for some reason but for me I would rather have him in a Sky Blue shirt where at least he gives 100% effort than a posing gobshite like Sheff who hardly breaks sweat for the club he claims to love. Half of Husseys problem is that in the system we play he is highly visible and is expected to not only defend but be the attacking focus as well but he is consistently let down by a lack of cover or options offered from Kilbane or Sheff and therefore is reluctant to attack fully.

Evans020

I wasn't fully wrong ;)

You are one of the younger ones on here, and most of the games you have been to were whilst being a kid.

With you being in the army you will know that different people handle pressure in different ways. Some people can, some people can't. Just because some get paid more it don't make the pressure any easier. You will have known from when you first joined up that it isn't always the biggest and strongest that can always handle the pressure. Would it make you any better at your job if you had lots of people shouting at you telling you how shite you are?

I admire you for what you do and have been through. I come from a forces family. Our eldest recently joined the army. It don't mean we have to agree on pressure and how it affects people though.
I am not in the forces now.I go to roughly 10 games a season home or away..my point being only in football are people allowed to be so sloppy and poor at work and consistently get away with it.I have been to both home league games this season..hussey, brown, are stand out poor performers so far

DazzleTommyDazzle

The booing - or at least some of it - was coming from some "older" guys at the back of Block 17.

I was unsure if they were a group of psychology professors trying to disprove the oft quoted theory that booing makes sportsmen perform worse, or a bunch of pissed morons.

Joy Division

They weren't booing

[video=youtube;nWmAez71uMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmAez71uMY[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread