Who was mainly to blame for our relegation from League 1 (1 Viewer)

Ccfcisparks

Having a discussion with someone on Twitter who is stating that all 4 managers in the relegation season had a part to play in us going down.

I for one feel Robins should be excluded from the blame, as at the time of his appointment we were 13 points adrift. Who do you blame in the whole debacle?

higgs

I suppose Venus shouldn't have been given the power to promote himself to manager as he had no prior experience the club was being run like a circus at the time when you look back at it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Briles

Mowbray. He oversaw a disastrous pre-season, made a few really poor signings and continued with what had been 5-6 months of poor form in early 2016. Everybody after that was playing catch up. We were 3 points adrift and bottom when he left.

Mowbray put all his eggs in one basket the season before, it was criminal we didnt make the playoffs. Armstrong, Murphy, Kent, Fleck and Vincelot all left and we didnt replace them.

Team for 4-1 win for top of table clash with Gillingham

• Charles-Cook
  • Ricketts
  • Martin
  • Turner
  • Stokes
  • Vincelot
  • Fleck
  • Kent
  • O'Brien
  • Murphy
  • Armstrong
Team for relegation in 1-1 draw with charlton.

• Burge
  • Willis
  • Turnbull
  • Rawson
  • Haynes
  • Thomas
  • Stevenson
  • Bigirimana
  • Jones
  • Lameiras
  • Beavon

SBT

Mowbray's complete failure to prepare the team for the season was bizarre, and Venus proved to be way out of his depth. But we won just one game in the league under Slade, and that was after we gave him the chance to strengthen in January (we ended up with Nathan Clarke, Kevin Foley, Beavon and Yakubu). Worst manager in club history in my book.

PTA

Gotta be Russell Slade for me, fucking awful caveman type managing. Not to mention lazy cunts like Turnball and Beavon being in the team.

JulianDarbyFTW

I suppose Venus shouldn't have been given the power to promote himself to manager as he had no prior experience the club was being run like a circus at the time when you look back at it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Surprisingly, according to Wiki, Venus had a 44% win record as manager with us.

junglej13

Always amazes me the slating Slade takes. Mowbray knew when he resigned that him and Venus had failed miserably with the recruitment that summer. The squad was appalling. I remember going to Swindon away on the opening day and fearing the worst. Slade was brought in January with no budget to try and wheel and deal. He had a stab in very hard circumstances and couldn't improve a really poor side.

Briles

Always amazes me the slating Slade takes. Mowbray knew when he resigned that him and Venus had failed miserably with the recruitment that summer. The squad was appalling. I remember going to Swindon away on the opening day and fearing the worst. Slade was brought in January with no budget to try and wheel and deal. He had a stab in very hard circumstances and couldn't improve a really poor side.

Totally agree. I mean his management style was crap but I dont even think Guardiola would've kept that squad up.

Walsgrave

The complete lack of financial backing and also the lack of foresight on the part of previous managers.

I remember in 2016 when we ha a mass exodus of players - some for a fee ad others because their contracts ended. This was predictable but so little was put in place to mitigate against this.

In our 2015-16 season, we had so many players on loan, to such an extent that Bigirimana was ineligible as the 6th loanee. Now, we all know that Bigirimana's career has gone downhill since, but the fact that he was one of the first names on the team sheet during the 2-16-17 season speaks volumes about how reliant we were on people from outside.

Thankfully we do not operate on such a model anymore. Walsh and O'Hare were excellent for us last season, but Robins has been careful not to be heavily reliant on players from outside, lest it stores up problems for the future.

JimmyHillsbeard

The players deserve some blame also. Several were better than the account they have of themselves that season.

In the end though Mowbray oversaw a terrible transfer strategy. Andre Wright and Daniel Agyei made me nostalgic for Darius Henderson. His one good recruit that year - Sordell - has to be sacrificed in order to get in two players from Burton that Slade wanted.

AOM

Surprisingly, according to Wiki, Venus had a 44% win record as manager with us.

I recall Mark Venus having a pretty positive start, but then we went on a losing streak and probably kept him in the position for too long.

Slade then just finished the job, but it was probably a steady decline since we bottled it with Mowbray after that Chrismas period

jordan210

Slade was a moron. tactically inept and could not read a game.

When we played Wimbledon his you could predict what was going to happen and everyone was shouting at him to make changes and keep attacking not to sit back. We sat back and they scored.

Esoterica

Mowbray's record from Jan 1st 2016 to his resignation 10 games into the season on 28th September 2016:

P32: W7 D10 L15.

22% win ratio and that includes the 4 wins at the end of the 2015/2016 season when the season was already over and we couldn't make the play offs anymore, as well as 2 transfer windows.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

Mowbray for letting the wheels fall off the season before, not being able to motivate the team and shit recruitment
Sisu for allowing Venus to stay in place for so long when it was clear he wasn't a manager and the anointing Slade
Slade for being the biggest pile of shit we've ever seen.

skybluesam66

Mowbray - 10 games without a win 6 points

Next 6 games after he left 13 points

1 win in the next 22 under venus and Slade 7 points

Next 8 games 13 points

so our 39 points were split

13 points in Venus 1st 6 games
13 points in Robins last 8 games
13 points in the other 32 games in 2 long periods of dross under Mowbray/Venus/Slade (ok, took Robins 2 or 3 games at the end of that spell, but showed in the last 8 games that it was possible to get points with that team)

Liquid Gold

Slade who has failed miserably at every job he's ever had apart from LO? The guy was an absolute catastrophe, he couldn't motivate, made the squad worse and played dire football. You say that the squad was appalling but Robins didn't have us in relegation form did he?

NorthernWisdom

Mowbray. He oversaw a disastrous pre-season, made a few really poor signings and continued with what had been 5-6 months of poor form in early 2016. Everybody after that was playing catch up. We were 3 points adrift and bottom when he left.
That, and arguably keeping Venus there too long as caretaker. Early season, if we'd managed to sneak a couple of wins instead of draws under Mowbray, things might have been different. We didn't look *that* far away, but regressed under Venus and Slade. Venus showed himself not to be a manager at all, really.

(btw, it might be unpopular with hindsight, but it was fully understandable why they appointed Slade, that was an entirely rational decision. It certainly didn't work, but it wasn't a totally random one!)

Hadji's_Goatee

Russel Slade was awful – However, somehow he got us through to the Checkatrade Final, or was it the players, either or it was a friggin miracle!

Esoterica

Mowbray for letting the wheels fall off the season before, not being able to motivate the team and shit recruitment
Sisu for allowing Venus to stay in place for so long when it was clear he wasn't a manager and the anointing Slade
Slade for being the biggest pile of shit we've ever seen.
Cheers. Just sicked up a bit of my lunch at the thought of Tim Fisher rubbing aromatic oil all over Slade.

clint van damme

Mowbray for his ludicrous transfer targets and whoever was responsible for the short term loan/ contract recruitment model (which may also have been Mowbray).

Reactions: vow

Liquid Gold

Did well with Scarborough, Grimsby, Yeovil. Considering what he was asked to do with Cardiff, did alright there really. Did badly with Charlton, us, Grimsby second time around. Low stock now, but until Charlton, had shown himself a safe pair of hands.
I'm going to stick with everywhere but LO thank you

Screenshot 2020-08-12 at 14.56.31.png

I do agree it wasn't a crazy appointment as he was a manager with a record in the league but he was just awful, I rank him worse than Thorn for us.

superskyblue

All of them except Robins. Mowbray and Venus oversaw the disastrous recruitment in the summer. I still think those players could have been able to keep us up but Slade put the final nail in the coffin with his management.

Users who are viewing this thread