Who takes the next penalty? (1 Viewer)

Legia Sky Blue

I imagine if Godden loses the job they will look to hand it to Simms or Wright to help build their confidence with a few more goals behind them, but I would like to see Eccles have a go. I understand he had a great record at U21 level, and the way he took the penalty at Wembley was very impressive.

skybluecam

Including pre season Isn’t Godden 1 out of 4 this season? He missed one in a friendly didn’t he
0/2 in the league is bad enough, especially as they were both "meaningful".

Previously I really had confidence in him taking them. The Watford one was a good save to be fair, although the right height for the keeper. Ipswich - it's never good when you don't even work the keeper. Worried he might have psyched himself out of it now.

torchomatic

I imagine if Godden loses the job they will look to hand it to Simms or Wright to help build their confidence with a few more goals behind them, but I would like to see Eccles have a go. I understand he had a great record at U21 level, and the way he took the penalty at Wembley was very impressive.

Eccles' dead balls are dreadful. He'd be the last I would choose. Godden has missed the last two. I'd give it to Wright.

PVA

Wright doesn't strike me as a penalty taker, so I'm surprised by that record.

My initial thought was Sheaf or Eccles, based on their penalties at Wembley.

Legia Sky Blue

Eccles' dead balls are dreadful. He'd be the last I would choose. Godden has missed the last two. I'd give it to Wright.

I refer you back to Wembley. He is unlikely to ever face the same pressure taking a penalty as he did then. Pretty sure he also confidently put one away in one our lower league penalty shoot outs back in the day.

Frostie

I refer you back to Wembley. He is unlikely to ever face the same pressure taking a penalty as he did then. Pretty sure he also confidently put one away in one our lower league penalty shoot outs back in the day.
He used to take them regularly for the youth teams too, he's a very assured taker.

I'd let Wright have them though, if he keeps adding to his tally it can only be a good boost for a striker's confidence.

Offhegoes

Always prefer the penalty taker to be the consistent (form and temperament) player of the team, and ideally not a striker. Someone like Sheaf or Bidwell, maybe Eccles or Kitching. Certainly not any of those front players whose form and starting place is not guaranteed.
If Godden scored that pen, he’d probably get a start against Brum. That’s probably in his mind.

Brighton Sky Blue

Godden hadn’t missed for us before this season and now it seems to be a problem. Wright looks like he takes a good one so should be next

SBT

Godden hadn’t missed for us before this season and now it seems to be a problem.
I wouldn’t really call it a problem - his overall record is very good, and he was denied this season by a very good save against Watford and the crossbar against Ipswich. It’s not like there’s an issue with technique or confidence here.

I’d expect him to keep taking them if he’s in the side, but his general streakiness in terms of form may mean he ends up on the bench for the next one anyway.

Mucca Mad Boys

If Wright has a 90% record, it would make sense for him to step up next.

3 missed this year could get in his [Godden] head a bit. Perhaps he needs a little break from them so hoping the next penalty is awarded when he’s not on the pitch so he’s not been ‘demoted’ as such.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I always prefer strikers to take them - keeps them confident in scoring and they should want and be good at it.

However, on a strange desire of mine, I'd love the rule to be whoever wins the pen or i the last attacking player to touch it has to take the pen. Just think it'd make it more interesting.

BlueSkiesForever

I’d probably go for Wright, maybe, or Simms?
I’ve no idea why but I’ve got a weird suspicion someone like Bidwell, Sheaf or Thomas could be decent at pens, probably me just being mad though 😂

Personally think Godden needs to have a rest now though, just not looking on it atm and I think it’s about time Simms started getting decent game time. There’s a decent striker in there and he’s quick with the ball at his feet, he’s also not going to get any better warming up the bench for Godden every week.

rob9872

Dabo

Johhny Blue

I wouldn’t really call it a problem - his overall record is very good, and he was denied this season by a very good save against Watford and the crossbar against Ipswich. It’s not like there’s an issue with technique or confidence here.

I’d expect him to keep taking them if he’s in the side, but his general streakiness in terms of form may mean he ends up on the bench for the next one anyway.
“Denied by the crossbar” is a weak excuse. If it had gone in off the bar would you be posting that he was “an inch away from missing”

StrettoBoy

I think I would choose Sheaf if it is likely to affect the result.

If the game is settled then Wright or Simms to boost their tally and confidence, althoigh I suppose this plan would backfire if they miss.

shmmeee

Have the people saying Sheaf been watching us this season? I love the guy but he can’t shoot for toffee.

Users who are viewing this thread