which teams are now considered a big draw for round 5 (2 Viewers)

Otis

But the likelyhood of us receiving a hammering off Man City\Utd or Spurs is high, would rather avoid that for the sake of confidence and promotion.
I can't quite fathom it out, but pretty much every time we are drawn against a top side we are totally annihilated and swept aside, yet other lower division teams seem to be able to give it a real go.

Really nice for us to match a Premier side in Stoke, so I hope the tide has turned, but we have been walked all over far too easily in the past, while other lower level teams have made a real fist of it.

Bumberclart

It would feel like a bit of a waste to come this far and not get a big draw. Lets get a massive club with loads of cash from a TV game.

rob9872

If I could choose, then ...
I'd like Man United, Man City, Tottenham, Chelsea, Leicester
I don't want Huddersfield or Birmingham, Notts County or Swansea, Millwall or Rochdale, Hull, Sheffield United
I'm not fussed either way at West Brom, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Brighton, Wigan

Brighton Sky Blue

I can't quite fathom it out, but pretty much every time we are drawn against a top side we are totally annihilated and swept aside, yet other lower division teams seem to be able to give it a real go.

Really nice for us to match a Premier side in Stoke, so I hope the tide has turned, but we have been walked all over far too easily in the past, while other lower level teams have made a real fist of it.

Wouldn't say we were annihilated by Chelsea in 2009 or Utd in 2007. Might be the case that we play in a ground fit for the top flight but with players fit for Div 4. Big teams feel more at home there than at shitty little grounds like Rodney Parade.

Londonccfcfan

Part of me would be very happy if the big 4 drew eachother. And leicester draw West brom. Sheffield clubs draw eachother.

And we drew anyone else at home. It would give us a decent chance to get through.

Then in quarter finals the big 2 draw each other again, leaving the whole competition wide open!

RoboCCFC90

Teams I would take;

WBA - Home
Leicester - Home/Away
Man Utd - Home/Away
Man City - Home/Away
Sheffield Wednesday - Away

I'm not interested the others to be honest.

fernandopartridge

Wouldn't say we were annihilated by Chelsea in 2009 or Utd in 2007. Might be the case that we play in a ground fit for the top flight but with players fit for Div 4. Big teams feel more at home there than at shitty little grounds like Rodney Parade.

We beat Blackburn twice who I think were in the top half of the Premier League when we smashed them 4-1.

Brighton Sky Blue

When was that?

And in 2007 we were in the Championship. I am talking about about League One and lower exploits.

The only ones I can imagine were the two times we had Arsenal away, but I think they'd spank most L1 or lower sides at home.

pastythegreat

We beat Blackburn twice who I think were in the top half of the Premier League when we smashed them 4-1.
Think they finished 1 point off Champions league qualification that same season.

Lost a silly bet that day too, few of us had put a quid in each and stuck £8 or so quid on Mifsud 1st, Adebola last, City win 3-0. £3500 pay out or something like that. 5mins to hang on and David Bentley scored! It immediately ranked him joint top on my list of all time footballing cunts with Craig Bellamy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mds

Like when we played Arsenal 3 or 4 years ago or Spurs in Robins last spell 4-0 3-0 was it, Man City could easilly walk 6 past us, Spurs the same. Stoke were a very poor side on a real downer we got them at just the right time, MK Dons the same, defensively i think we are stronger now than either of the Arsenal or Spurs games, idk, maybe not so much stronger better organised, you only have to look at the first 20-30 mins against MK, the bigger teams would of destroyed us.

Liquid Gold

When was that?

And in 2007 we were in the Championship. I am talking about about League One and lower exploits.
I think some of it has to do with us attempting to play football. A lot of the time we've played tippy happy not really go anywhere stuff that is easily beaten by top league teams. The ones that do well play tough and get stuck into premier league players like they're not used to. Now we're in league two we've had to toughen up so that could give us more of a chance.

Londonccfcfan

Teams I would take;

WBA - Home
Leicester - Home/Away
Man Utd - Home/Away
Man City - Home/Away
Sheffield Wednesday - Away

I'm not interested the others to be honest.

Sheffield Wednesday would be horrible. no more than 20 k there! but then again its definitely a place we could get a result.

jordan210

Do we think if we got a drubbing by United away. The players confidence would drop and promotion would slip.

They would all enjoy the big day and playing against some of the best players in the world. That would be a massive boost for them alone.

Going to a prem team with no weight on your shoulders must be confidence building as we have got to this stage on merit.

Last edited:

Grendel

I think some of it has to do with us attempting to play football. A lot of the time we've played tippy happy not really go anywhere stuff that is easily beaten by top league teams. The ones that do well play tough and get stuck into premier league players like they're not used to. Now we're in league two we've had to toughen up so that could give us more of a chance.

No it’s teams who manage to play with a attacking purpose. When we played Chelsea we played as you describe - to lose but by as little as possible. Newport went at Tottenham with pace and purpose and created a lot of chances.

We’ve never played possession football in the games we’ve been hammered in

Brighton Sky Blue

Norwich smashed us too didn't they and both Chelsea and Spurs hardly broke sweat.

Norwich was away, Spurs was away. The reality is there's a massive gulf between these leagues which makes getting tonked far more likely. Stoke laid siege to our goal for a good 20-25 minutes and the rub of the green kept us in it. This isn't from lack of fight, it's just the reality of where we are.

Users who are viewing this thread