Which team? Last season or this season? (2 Viewers)

Fluffsta

Simple question. Would you swap the team we have right now in League 1 for the team that was relegated last season from the Championship to play in League 1 right now?

Sort of using this question to gauge the strengh of our current side as I havent had the chance to see the new players yet.

Last edited:

Black6Osprey

I dont think theres much in it. Keogh and Cranie v Wood and Malaga. Norwood, Nimely, Thomas & McSheffery v Jennings, Barton, Fleck & Kilbane. Platt & McDonald v Elliot & McDonald.

1 all draw I reckon

Grendel

If we could have one player back I would take Juke back. We still don't look like scoring many goals.

Mucca Mad Boys

This seasons, only players of worth we have lost is Keogh and Bigi, they have been replaced with good players.

Defence is just as good, as Wood is better than Cranie.
Midfield is better, as Jennings>Clingan, Fleck>Sheff, Barton + Thomas is just as good as Norwood + Bigi/Thomas (they both shared that role)

Strike force is a LOT better: Ball > Platt Elliott (not sure how he fairs v Nimely, but they're tied on goals, already! I say that because Nimely scored 1 and although dangerous, goals win you games... I'd have him back though!

stupot07

This seasons, only players of worth we have lost is Keogh and Bigi, they have been replaced with good players.

Defence is just as good, as Wood is better than Cranie.
Midfield is better, as Jennings>Clingan, Fleck>Sheff, Barton + Thomas is just as good as Norwood + Bigi/Thomas (they both shared that role)

Strike force is a LOT better: Ball > Platt Elliott (not sure how he fairs v Nimely, but they're tied on goals, already! I say that because Nimely scored 1 and although dangerous, goals win you games... I'd have him back though!

Norwood is a much better player than Barton. And we have seen nothing of ball yet to suggest he is better or more effective that platt. And Juke was and would still be our best player if he was still here.

Last edited:

kg82

Norwood is a much better player than Barton. And we have seen nothing of ball yet to suggest he is better or more effective that platt. And Juke was and would still be our best player if he was still here.

Not much better. Better, maybe yes, but not much better.

Astute

I got shot down last time I answered the same question, but here I go again.

Won't count Ollie or Nimely as we didn't have them at this stage of the season. At this stage of the season we had untried youth players. Took them lots of games to get the idea/gel. This season we have most of these players but now with experience. Cody should do much better. On top of all this we have more youth players that have come through, but we are not forced to play them.

This seasons squad must be better for these reasons.

Paxman II

Hmm a good question even though it's in fun.

very little in it tbh. I think where we are weaker is a strike partner for Cody and the midfield misses a 'player' figure which Clingan was meant to be. I would have him back for that role.

We still have Bell who gives us width and others to come back in too.

In this league we are on paper at least a strong squad which over the season should tell.

Hmm a good question even though it's in fun.

very little in it tbh. I think where we are weaker is a strike partner for Cody and the midfield misses a 'player' figure which Clingan was meant to be. I would have him back for that role.

We still have Bell who gives us width and others to come back in too.

In this league we are on paper at least a strong squad which over the season should tell.

are u for real or just on a wind up? bell? one of the worst players ever to wear a city shirt, he gives us width does he? so he can stand by the touchline and that makes him a footballer does it? nothing personal but if u truly believe he gives us anything i wonder about ur football knowledge

Mucca Mad Boys

Barton is an excellent player as is Norwood, however, had it not been for Barton's horrific injury, he'd probably be at Liverpool, not a Cov whereas Norwood, well, only Cov, Barnsley and Huddlesfield were in for him! Based on scouts, I think Barton is/or could be, better than Norwood. (NOTE: I rate Norwood v highly and I wish we signed him!) Whoever is better, there isn't much in it!

On Ball v Platt, Ball played 10 games less than Platt and Platt scored 1 more, but Ball has a better goal:game ratio (around 7.6 to 8.5) so judging by that, Ball is better.

Sidenote, assuming Ball scored his 3 goals when he started, he has an even better goal record on games started than Platt.

scroobiustom

Simple question. Would you swap the team we have right now in League 1 for the team that was relegated last season from the Championship to play in League 1 right now?

Sort of using this question to gauge the strengh of our current side as I havent had the chance to see the new players yet.

What kind of question is this? I come on SBT expecting a Thorn in/ Thorn Out debate and I get this! This is no place for originality! :claping hands:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Barton is an excellent player as is Norwood, however, had it not been for Barton's horrific injury, he'd probably be at Liverpool, not a Cov whereas Norwood, well, only Cov, Barnsley and Huddlesfield were in for him! Based on scouts, I think Barton is/or could be, better than Norwood. (NOTE: I rate Norwood v highly and I wish we signed him!) Whoever is better, there isn't much in it!

On Ball v Platt, Ball played 10 games less than Platt and Platt scored 1 more, but Ball has a better goal:game ratio (around 7.6 to 8.5) so judging by that, Ball is better.

Sidenote, assuming Ball scored his 3 goals when he started, he has an even better goal record on games started than Platt.
I have seen Barton once and he was ineffective, to say he is an excellent player already is stretching it.

From yesterdays showing alone Norwood is a lot better than Barton

I hope Barton is an excellent player and am not making a judgement on him yet

SkyBlue_Bear83

Last season if we could have all the players at the same time

i.e Norwood, Nimely with Juke

If we are looking at it at any point in the season I don't think there is too much difference but I would still choose last seasons first team which we ended with and added depth to it.

Mucca Mad Boys

I have seen Barton once and he was ineffective, to say he is an excellent player already is stretching it.

From yesterdays showing alone Norwood is a lot better than Barton

I hope Barton is an excellent player and am not making a judgement on him yet

He wasn't ineffective yesterday, he misplaced 2 passes, made some good challenges, going forward as a TEAM we weren't the best.

He hasn't had lots of game time since his triple leg break so he's obviously not 100%

Remember, Norwood wasn't too great when we first got him on loan, he got better as the games came.

stupot07

If Liverpool had of signed Barton he would be plying his trade in Liverpool reserves like Shelvey has been for the past 2-3 seasons and shelvey is a far better player than Barton. If win in a PL reserve team makes you that much better then bigi is a better player than every single member of our squad!

From what I've seen of Ball he looks a lot less effective than Platt, fat, slow and actually not that good or particularly that big. Platt would have beasted those 2 CBs last night.

Paxman II

are u for real or just on a wind up? bell? one of the worst players ever to wear a city shirt, he gives us width does he? so he can stand by the touchline and that makes him a footballer does it? nothing personal but if u truly believe he gives us anything i wonder about ur football knowledge

Just to respond to that: bell is a very capable player and at this level may prove to be more than useful. He has ability when he is on his game and is a good crosser of the ball and posseses a good shot on him. Like I say at this level when fit and on his game may well be a very good asset.
It's no good just looking at his past few performances and rating him on those alone. yes he looked poor at times but on his day can be very good out wide. That's the truth of the matter and why people with more knowledge than I (which you question) gave him a new contract. maybe they are wrong too?

SkyBlue_Bear83

He wasn't ineffective yesterday, he misplaced 2 passes, made some good challenges, going forward as a TEAM we weren't the best.

He hasn't had lots of game time since his triple leg break so he's obviously not 100%

Remember, Norwood wasn't too great when we first got him on loan, he got better as the games came.
Well actually in Norwoods second or third game here vs Leeds at H he was fantastic that night imo along with Nimely and completely controlled the game by himself

He only misplaced 2 passes as they were mostly simple passes to Brown or inside to Jennings. I didn't think he was great at tackling either, lunged in a lot and got himself booked

His best moment was early on when he received the ball and flicked it around the corner first time to Brown before being cynically brought down by the opposition. Apart from that I don't recall him doing anything noteworthy.

I was a little underwhelmed after hearing good things about him tbh, not making a judgement on him this early just saying he didn't make much of an impression on me

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just to respond to that: bell is a very capable player and at this level may prove to be more than useful. He has ability when he is on his game and is a good crosser of the ball and posseses a good shot on him. Like I say at this level when fit and on his game may well be a very good asset.
It's no good just looking at his past few performances and rating him on those alone. yes he looked poor at times but on his day can be very good out wide. That's the truth of the matter and why people with more knowledge than I (which you question) gave him a new contract. maybe they are wrong too?
I wouldn't say Ken Deluded has superior football knowledge to any one on this forum :thinking about:

LJC_CCFC

I dont think theres much in it. Keogh and Cranie v Wood and Malaga. Norwood, Nimely, Thomas & McSheffery v Jennings, Barton, Fleck & Kilbane. Platt & McDonald v Elliot & McDonald.

1 all draw I reckon

Nah, both teams would somehow lose it in the last minute

kg82

Well actually in Norwoods second or third game here vs Leeds at H he was fantastic that night imo along with Nimely and completely controlled the game by himself

He only misplaced 2 passes as they were mostly simple passes to Brown or inside to Jennings. I didn't think he was great at tackling either, lunged in a lot and got himself booked

His best moment was early on when he received the ball and flicked it around the corner first time to Brown before being cynically brought down by the opposition. Apart from that I don't recall him doing anything noteworthy.

I was a little underwhelmed after hearing good things about him tbh, not making a judgement on him this early just saying he didn't make much of an impression on me

I'd say most passes he made were simple because he made them simple. He found space, didn't panic and was composed. Think its been established there seem to be 2 completely differing views of him though. I for 1 was very impressed with him, Malaga and Jennings.

Mucca Mad Boys

If Liverpool had of signed Barton he would be plying his trade in Liverpool reserves like Shelvey has been for the past 2-3 seasons and shelvey is a far better player than Barton. If win in a PL reserve team makes you that much better then bigi is a better player than every single member of our squad!

From what I've seen of Ball he looks a lot less effective than Platt, fat, slow and actually not that good or particularly that big. Platt would have beasted those 2 CBs last night.

A) Platt wouldn't have 'beasted' them CBs B) Ball was on for 6 mins, what is he going to do then!?

Shelvey is actually being brought in a couple games a season, and with Barton, he may have been in the same boat.

For that point, if Liverpool would rather have Barton in their reserves, for 5m, and not have any interest for Norwood, that's saying something...

Mucca Mad Boys

He performed poorly, looking timid and somewhat lost until the Leeds game, where he ran the midfield, spraying passes left and right, brilliant performance.

Barton played passes that were 'on', no complaints, as I recall, when he had the ball, there wasn't really any passes 'on', bar, inside to Jennings or outside to Brown, if Clarke was playing, he would've looked a lot better as Clarke would've done something with the ball whereas Brown was sh!t.

stupot07

A) Platt wouldn't have 'beasted' them CBs B) Ball was on for 6 mins, what is he going to do then!?

Shelvey is actually being brought in a couple games a season, and with Barton, he may have been in the same boat.

For that point, if Liverpool would rather have Barton in their reserves, for 5m, and not have any interest for Norwood, that's saying something...

Yet Norwood is plying his trade in the championship and Barton isnt.....

SkyBlue_Bear83

He performed poorly, looking timid and somewhat lost until the Leeds game, where he ran the midfield, spraying passes left and right, brilliant performance.
You are aware the Leeds game was his first start at home, his only other start before this came away vs Reading. So I am assuming you were at this game to make the above comments?

stupot07

You are aware the Leeds game was his first start at home, his only other start before this came away vs Reading. So I am assuming you were at this game to make the above comments?

I wouldn't bother CCFC, he's a "every player that leaves was crap anyway" cov fan.

Mucca Mad Boys

For Norwood to be offered a new contract at Man Utd in the summer just gone...that's saying something

Touche, I wasn't fully aware that Norwood was offered a contract, looks like a draw for Barton v Norwood, for now... :claping hands:

skyblueman

Last season's team - this season's squad

Not sure there's all that much in it - there are a few I'd like to swap over to be honest

Biggest consideration is not so much ability more attitude & belief - last year we didn't have the right attitude or the belief

If this season's team can find the right attitude and have some belief they can win then I'll take them every time over last year's

Mucca Mad Boys

I wouldn't bother CCFC, he's a "every player that leaves was crap anyway" cov fan.

No I'm not, I still highly rate; Turner, Gunna, King, Juke, Dann, Fox, Westwood, Keogh, Cork, Norwood (just saying we have signed a potentially better player), Bigi, Ward, Best (although disinterested near the end).

You're referring to players that have left us this summer that I have rightly criticised, they can't be that good if we got relegated with them (not including Bigi + Keogh), we would've stayed up if they were that good! For example, Cranie, Leeds rejected him, now @Barnsley (favs to go down), Clingan, no club and this was his 3rd relegation (says it all really!), Platt, at N'hampton (Tree nickname suited him), Eastwood, at Southend (10k a week! I would've drove him Southend to get him off wage bill!)... I think me thinking they're crap is more than justified! :jerkit:

Last edited:

SkyBlueM

This seasons purely because we have a much better depth of squad, which will mean we are not as weak as we were last season when we have a couple of players out and there is more competition for places which should in theory push players to perform better.

Black6Osprey

No Keogh!? :confused:

Fleck ahead of McSheff anyday of the week! :guitar2:

Its way too easy and shows no respect or understanding to say yeah the new guy he's way better.

McSheff has been a good player over the years but played badly when he came on against Yeovil. Fleck has been here 5 minutes and limped off. Before you start bigging him up for the Ballon d'Or lets see him play a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread