Which goal made you go the most mental? (1 Viewer)

v Liverpool at Anfield 04/11/89, superb header into the corner of the net from a Greg Downs free kick .... thanks for the memory Big C ☺

Last edited:

Leamington Pete

Funny how your favourites tend to be the same as others. For me definitely Gynn's equaliser in the Semi, Houch's in the Final, and Thommo's v West Ham. All mental.

Should definitely have a thread about injuries sustained while celebrating. Twisted my ankle in the mayhem at Hillsborough and was in agony but didn't care!

eastwoodsdustman

Funny how your favourites tend to be the same as others. For me definitely Gynn's equaliser in the Semi, Houch's in the Final, and Thommo's v West Ham. All mental.

Should definitely have a thread about injuries sustained while celebrating. Twisted my ankle in the mayhem at Hillsborough and was in agony but didn't care!

When we didn't win away all season with Keane , Mcallister etc. I celebrated what I thought was a goal at Bradford and sprained my ankle on the stairs. The goal got disallowed. I took my shoe off on the coach on the way home and couldn't get it back on by the time we got back to Coventry as my foot had swollen so much.

Cov kid 55

How about Moussa’s goal at Deepdale around 4 years ago? I didnt like the Preston team at all, the Manager, can’t remember his name, but just been sacked by Sunderland, always produces mean spirited teams. They were winning 1-0 and wasting time for England, not only the players, but the ball boys and their fans. Moussa hammered in a fantastic shot in added time, and I was so chuffed to ram it up Preston - I went mad! Greyson, that’s his name! There are countless more important goals that we’ve scored, of course!

nunchuckas

More recently, Richard Wood's equaliser away at Stevenage, after we had pummeled them all game, but were 1-0 to a penalty. Then, finally, in the 80th minute; after giving their keeper - Arnold, stick all second half, he spilled a John Fleck rebound for Richard Wood to force home. An entire game of frustrations, and near misses exploded in the stands where the 1,000 or so sell out of tightly packed City were lodged, right on top of the goal. After that they were crushed, we went on to win 3-1 with 2 great Baker and McGoldrick goals. But that opener was crucial, as we had played so well all game without scoring up until that point.

Last edited:

RoboCCFC90

George Thomas at Wembley is the one that stands out, from where I was sat you knew it was going in the moment it left his boot..

clint van damme

Easy for me.
1)Brian Kicline v Luton 1985
2) Keith Houchen semi final second goal v Leeds 1987
3) Andrew Wing final goal at Highfield road 2005

really surprised more people haven't gone for Killer against Luton, (appreciate many weren't even born!).

The tension was unbearable and we were 14 minutes away from relegation. The only game I've experienced like it for tension was Spurs away in 97 last game of the season.

SkyBlueSoul

JPT v Preston, both Mifsud goals v Man U at Old Trafford and both Checkatrade final goals are the obvious choices for me.

Left field one is Johnnie Jackson’s last minute winner v West Brom at HR. 03/04 season, they were smashing Div 1 and he goes through and chips the keeper in front of the West Terrace to make it 1-0 in the 90th min.

It was a proper derby game and they’d brought loads of fans, everyone went mental

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sterling Archer

In an attempt to pick something not already chosen, anybody remember a terrible home game at the Ricoh when the ball hit Clive Platt in the chest and trickled over the line in the last minute resulting in a 1-0 win?

Skybluefaz

I think it's been mentioned, but I think Frank Nouble's deflected winner against Peterborough in the first 3-2 comeback left me with battered and bruised legs. Always a sign I've gone mental.

Samo

The greatest moment ever celebrating a goal - 13:50 12/4/87 broke my watch in the mayhem. Never know a goal like it before or since.

Ah man it was somethin' wasn't it? I lost my wife and my hat in that same mayhem and it took a while to find them! It was fucking delirious!

Brylowes

To be honest the one that made me go the most mental and meant the most was
Gary Mabbutt's at Wembley

Samo

To be honest the one that made me go the most mental and meant the most was
Gary Mabbutt's at Wembley

Well it was the most important goal in the clubs history.
But the Leeds goal... I think it was the build of tension as we all started to think it wasn't going to happen and then BOOM!

skylark37

Leon Clarke v Sheffield United - 1st of February 2013, Bramall Lane.
Late Winner - Glasses bent.

Richie Partridge v Reading - 26th of December 2002, Highfield Road.
Top corner - Burning hot tea spilled.

Paul Williams v Newcastle - 16th of October 1999, Highfield Road.
Just went absolutely mental.

AJB1983

Apart from the Carl Baker and Leon Clarke goals in the Preston JPT game, as far as I can remember I think the only time I have ever been bouncing up and down to a goal was stern johns equaliser against wolves the last season at the highfield rd, when he ran in from the touch line and scored in front of the terrace.

Mucca Mad Boys

Maybe Preston in the JPT in the last minute. I think also Newcastle in the cup with a last minute goal was decent.

Exactly the same as me. Special shout out to Westwood’s last minute penalty save against Wolves.

- Loved Leon Clarke’s winner at Bramall Lane
- Nouble’s goal at Gillingham first game back at the Ricoh
- weirdly, Ball’s consolation at Arsenal in the League Cup when we lost 6-1. Everyone just seemed to be happy we actually scored.

Without a doubt, the most nuts celebration I’ve been involved in was England v Wales at the Nice fan park for Euro 2016. There were people rolling around in the mud and gallons of beer went in the air. Thank you Daniel Sturridge!

Sorry guys but the celebrations at Wembley last year were very average. My best are.......
1) Killer v Luton in 85 (watch it on YouTube)
2) The winner against Preston in the JPT
3) Houchen in the FA cup semi
4) Thompson in the League cup semi

Grendel

The Huckerby goal against Man U was the instant answer to the title.

However the Butterworth pass and the Bodak lob resulting in mass hysteria takes it

Moff

Regis against Sheff Wed (FA QF) followed by going more mental for Houchen's double.
Terry Gibsons hatrick goal against Liverpool in 4-0 win
Gynn's Semi equaliser
Boateng's fourth goal in our 4-1 win at Villa.

robofcov

1989 Speedies last minute chip v Norwich after dogs abuse for 90 mins as we had lost to Sutton and they beat them next round , every City fan in that poxy shed
of an away end literally went mental

torchomatic

I think there were over 22,000 of us just in that one end behind the goal that day. Amazing atmosphere!

I remember suffering from vertigo a little as the terracing was so steep.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

Moldavans v villa

And Thomas's goal at Wembley

kdrinkell

How about Moussa’s goal at Deepdale around 4 years ago? I didnt like the Preston team at all, the Manager, can’t remember his name, but just been sacked by Sunderland, always produces mean spirited teams. They were winning 1-0 and wasting time for England, not only the players, but the ball boys and their fans. Moussa hammered in a fantastic shot in added time, and I was so chuffed to ram it up Preston - I went mad! Grayson, that’s his name! There are countless more important goals that we’ve scored, of course!

I salute you Sir thats the one I was thinking of,the Preston fans were putting the torches on their phones and dancing in the aisles and when it went in it was such a feeling of 'up yours'
Seen a lifetime of goals as you but that was excellent….and just a draw but hey ho

Johnnythespider

Ah man it was somethin' wasn't it? I lost my wife and my hat in that same mayhem and it took a while to find them! It was fucking delirious!
I left my slip on shoes (it was the 80s) about 15 rows behind when the crowd jumped up and surged forwards as one.

The Great Eastern

Now if you are talking loss of footwear then Neil Martin's winner v Leicester in 69.
Us up, them down.
Lost my shoe, worth the bollocking from my mum.
I was at that game. Total mayhem when Martin put that late goal away. I was with a load of school mates, one of whom supported Lestah, on the SB Terrace. We just about hammered the crap out of him when it went in , just to make him feel better.... so to speak !

Ricketts

Away. Gunnarson v Blackburn away in the cup, can’t remember which cup. I was pretty much where the video was filmed from.

Home was when Leon Clarke got that 90th minute winner against Preston in the JPT. Meaningless game really but two 90th minute goals when the Preston fans were giving it loads and I had several beers in me.

And Moldovan v Villa, but I was a youngster then and I much preferred the celebrations as I got older.

I've got that ball. Bought it at a CCFC auction on one of the prize presentation nights.

Users who are viewing this thread