Where Would You Like To Live ? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Didn't find that at all in NYC. Everyone was super friendly and happy to talk. Paris however, not that's a rude city.

Not sure where Id like to live. But no where bigger than Coventry I think. I like the size of the place. maybe Amsterdam.
Strange that isn't it. Every single person to a man was extremely rude to us in New York, every single one.

From the bus driver, to at the hotel, to at the restaurants, to McDonald's, to at the airport and at left luggage and on the Empire State Building, everywhere.

Everyone and anyone who knows me knows I am the politest, friendliest person they could ever wish to meet. They were all extremely rude to us. Even to the point of being quite nasty.

We went on from NY to Denver and the difference could not be anymore stark. Everyone there was so friendly. 100%.

clint van damme

Strange that isn't it. Every single person to a man was extremely rude to us in New York, every single one.

From the bus driver, to at the hotel, to at the restaurants, to McDonald's, to at the airport and at left luggage and on the Empire State Building, everywhere.

Everyone and anyone who knows me knows I am the politest, friendliest person they could ever wish to meet. They were all extremely rude to us. Even to the point of being quite nasty.

We went on from NY to Denver and the difference could not be anymore stark. Everyone there was so friendly. 100%.

found New York really friendly. You weren't trying to crack some of your 'jokes; were you Otis?!!

Otis

found New York really friendly. You weren't trying to crack some of your 'jokes; were you Otis?!!
Nope. I was so polite.

We found it awful. Not one single person would help us and not one single person was nice to us.

Got off the plane, customs people were not friendly. Sort of expect that anyway, mind.

Went to left luggage and asked to leave a suitcase. The bloke there was sitting reading a newspaper and didn't even leave his chair or even look up. Told us quite rudely that we had to pay $20, which we did.

He then told us to lift and put the suitcase on a high shelf ourselves. He did nothing at all and didn't help in anyway.

Found the hotel staff cold and unfriendly.

We tried to catch a bus. It stopped, we asked if it gave change and the driver said no they don't and just drove off as we were still trying to talk to him.

Went to McDonald's and ordered a veggie burger and they gave me a beef burger by mistake. I mentioned it very politely and very forgiving and they didn't even apologise about it and made me wait.

Went to the Empire State Building and they were incredibly rude.

They ordered us (and everyone else) to empty their pockets of metal objects. I did so, put the stuff in the tray, went through the metal scanner and the alarm went off and a security guard screamed at me very loudly 'Everything! Take EVERYTHING out of your pockets!' Think I had left one key in my pocket by mistake.

When we were struggling with maps no-one offered any help at all.

We then went to an Italian restaurant and they weren't friendlly and right in front of us, grabbed a guy from the next table by his collar and literally threw him out of the restaurant and on to the pavement outside.

Went back to left luggage and it was a different guy, but he too was just sitting in a chair reading a newspaper and he too didn't even look up. We asked politely for our suitcase and he again made us take it down from a high shelf ourselves without offering any help and then he demanded $20.

Again politely, I said we had already paid and he said 'well that was a different guy, now it's me and I want another $20!'

This was the official left luggage office at the airport.

Arrived in Denver the next day and it was like a breath of fresh air.

Had only been there for 10 mins, got a map out and someone immediately crossed the road to see if they could be of any help and assistance and then gave us loads of tips too.

Every single person we encountered there was so lovely and friendly.

It literally was the polar opposite. Chalk and cheese. And we were so nice and polite to everyone we encountered the whole holiday.

Last edited:

Ranjit Bhurpa

Having travelled throughout the UK and Europe on business and leisure, there is nowhere else I'd like to live really as I would miss home too much, wherever home happens to be.
Would like to return to Cov one day as it holds many happy memories and represents my roots.
Apart from the City, I only visit Cov maybe once a year and always enjoy visiting old haunts and seeing how the place has changed.

Nick

Administrator
I can't think of anything worse than living in somewhere like New York, can't be doing with all of the busyness.

Have glanced at moving to somewhere like Canada / New Zealand where you can just live out in the countryside and do your own stuff but it is a bit too far!

Otis

I can't think of anything worse than living in somewhere like New York, can't be doing with all of the busyness.

Have glanced at moving to somewhere like Canada / New Zealand where you can just live out in the countryside and do your own stuff but it is a bit too far!
I have relatives in Canada. They are miles away from anywhere and in the winter they just stock up and don't leave their house for as much as 3 months until winter passes.

lifeskyblue

Inverness. Just the right balance between ‘civilisation’ and the wilds. You have the sea, the mountains, rugged moorland, history and a vibrant city/town.
However with an elderly mother in cov, daughters in the south east and midlands I don’t think it is going to happen. Ahhh but I can dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

The Sky Blues must always govern our thinking though too, surely?

I always see a place and say I could live there, but then think to myself how far away is it from Coventry and what about going to games.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
The Sky Blues must all govern our thinking though too, surely?

I always see a place and say I could live there, but then think to myself how far away is it from Coventry and waht about going to games.

Yep, one of the first thoughts for me too.

There is iFollow now though ;)

bringbackrattles

Nope. I was so polite.

We found it awful. Not one single person would help us and not one single person was nice to us.

Got off the plane, customs people were not friendly. Sort of expect that anyway, mind.

Went to left luggage and asked to leave a suitcase. The bloke there was sitting reading a newspaper and didn't even leave his chair or even look up. Told us quite rudely that we had to pay $20, which we did.

He then told us to lift and put the suitcase on a high shelf ourselves. He did nothing at all and didn't help in anyway.

We tried to catch a bus. It stopped, we asked if it gave change and the driver said no they don't and just drove off as we were still trying to talk to him.

Went to McDonald's and ordered a veggie burger and they gave me a beef burger by mistake. I mentioned it very politely and very forgiving and they didn't even apologise about it and made me wait.

They ordered us (and everyone else) to empty their pockets of metal objects. I did so, put the stuff in the tray, went through the metal scanner and the alarm went off and a security guard screamed at me very loudly 'Everything! Take EVERYTHING out of your pockets!' Think I had left one key in my pocket by mistake.

We then went to an Italian restaurant and they weren't friendlly and right in front of us, grabbed a guy from the next table by his collar and literally threw him out of the restaurant and on to the pavement outside.

Went back to left luggage and it was a different guy, but he too was just sitting in a chair reading a newspaper and he too didn't even look up. We asked politely for our suitcase and he again made us take it down from a high shelf ourselves without offering any help and then he demanded $20.

Again politely, I said we had already paid and he said 'well that was a different guy, now it's me and I want another $20!'

Had only been there for 10 mins, got a map out and someone immediately crossed the road to see if they could be of any help and assistance and then gave us loads of tips too.

It literally was the polar opposite. Chalk and cheese. And we were so nice and polite to everyone we encountered the whole holiday.
Why do you think New York people are so unfriendly ? I've never been so don't know the answer. Was this before the Twin Tower trouble,or afterwards ? But it sounds like they're just not nice people,and don't like non New Yorkers. I said I'd like to live in North Wales,yet I also found a few people there stand offish but you can get that anywhere.

Otis

Why do you think New York people are so unfriendly ? I've never been so don't know the answer. Was this before the Twin Tower trouble,or afterwards ? But it sounds like they're just not nice people,and don't like non New Yorkers. I said I'd like to live in North Wales,yet I also found a few people there stand offish but you can get that anywhere.
Before 9/11.

Had heard the same off quite a number of people that they were very rude over there.

Think it's just the busy city vibe. London is the same. No-one has time for you.

Terry Gibson's perm

So many places to choose from but it would depend on finance.

I would move to Seattle tomorrow but my wife would want to be in San Francisco so perfect really.

In the uk it would be Cromer,Guernsey or Jersey.

clint van damme

I've been to New York a couple of times and found the people brand new. Same with North Wales where I've been a couple of times in the last couple of years though I have heard stories about how unwelcoming they can be.
One thing I didn't realise about North Wales is how much they hate South Wales, few people I spoke to were quite vitriolic about them.

clint van damme

Before 9/11.

Had heard the same off quite a number of people that they were very rude over there.

Think it's just the busy city vibe. London is the same. No-one has time for you.

were you in Manhattan Otis?

Nick

Administrator
I've been to New York a couple of times and found the people brand new. Same with North Wales where I've been a couple of times in the last couple of years though I have heard stories about how unwelcoming they can be.
One thing I didn't realise about North Wales is how much they hate South Wales, few people I spoke to were quite vitriolic about them.

I remember going for a drink with my now Wife in North Wales. Some blokes walked in and absolutely hammered a bloke sat in there. Stools over his head and everything and nobody even turned round to look at what was going on. It wasn't for me, the black socks with Lacoste shorts and trainers on every bloke under 30 should have given it away sooner.

wingy

I always see a place and say I could live there, but then think to myself how far away is it from Coventry and what about going to games.
Grendels Dilemna!!

wingy

Have suggested to my daughter that emigration to NZ would be a good move
But would selfishly miss them all like crazy.
Myself, anywhere that would get me mortgage free!!, which would very much limit the choice.

olderskyblue

Sat next to a couple from North Wales while on holiday last year. She told me the North are the "real" welsh, and the south are a waste of space.... As I was on holiday, I didn't bother to tell her my dad was from the south. He always said how rude they were in the North. He was right I think...

Not just because of her, but I recall a holiday in Caernarvon when I was about 14, and my mum was being served in a gift shop. The server stopped serving her, and started serving another lady. She starting talking to her in Welsh, saying how the damned English can wait.. Of course, she didn't count on my dad hearing, who answered her in Welsh. He never did tell me what he said, but she certainly looked shocked. Anyway, we left without buying a thing. I guess that always tainted my view of the North Welsh

Nick

Administrator
Have suggested to my daughter that emigration to NZ would be a good move
But would selfishly miss them all like crazy.
Myself, anywhere that would get me mortgage free!!, which would very much limit the choice.

It's when you see things like this:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-73174226.html

135353_capecodstylehomewithlakeview_IMG_00_0000_max_656x437.jpg

£172k

Then you search for around here for £172k and you get nothing close to that.

Terry Gibson's perm

Sat next to a couple from North Wales while on holiday last year. She told me the North are the "real" welsh, and the south are a waste of space.... As I was on holiday, I didn't bother to tell her my dad was from the south. He always said how rude they were in the North. He was right I think...

Not just because of her, but I recall a holiday in Caernarvon when I was about 14, and my mum was being served in a gift shop. The server stopped serving her, and started serving another lady. She starting talking to her in Welsh, saying how the damned English can wait.. Of course, she didn't count on my dad hearing, who answered her in Welsh. He never did tell me what he said, but she certainly looked shocked. Anyway, we left without buying a thing. I guess that always tainted my view of the North Welsh

Wales is a lovely place wasted on the Welsh

wingy

It's when you see things like this:

Check out this overseas property on Rightmove!

135353_capecodstylehomewithlakeview_IMG_00_0000_max_656x437.jpg

£172k

Then you search for around here for £172k and you get nothing close to that.
I'm a Country bumpkin at heart, not to the extent of wearing a deerstalker or Barbour coat.
Married life living in Earlsdon was OK with Hearsall Common as an extension of the back garden but Caludon rd Stoke is stressful existence

fernandopartridge

Llandudno or maybe Conwy. North Wales is such a beautiful area. Maybe Aberaeron or Aberystwyth, West Wales is also fantastic.

My wife's aunt used to live in a lovely house at the foot of the Great Orme in Lladudno, inexplicably sold it to move to Prestatyn! That said, the house there is nice too. Angelsey is nice as well.

I'd happily live in any of the northern national parks including the Peak District or Snowdonia.

fernandopartridge

I'm a Country bumpkin at heart, not to the extent of wearing a deerstalker or Barbour coat.
Married life living in Earlsdon was OK with Hearsall Common as an extension of the back garden but Caludon rd Stoke is stressful existence

Have you spoken to John or Anthony at the Coventry Jewellery Centre?

jimmyhillsfanclub

I live in Liverpool in what I consider to be the best city in the country.......but recently I've been day dreaming of a more rural life......

.....its a tricky balance though isn't it? ...As much as I'd like to be within a few minutes of great cycling & walking country, I'd also miss the thriving city life with a vast choice of great restaurants, bars, pubs, theatres, gigs & festivals that I currently have on my doorstep....

clint van damme

My wife's aunt used to live in a lovely house at the foot of the Great Orme in Lladudno, inexplicably sold it to move to Prestatyn! That said, the house there is nice too. Angelsey is nice as well.

I'd happily live in any of the northern national parks including the Peak District or Snowdonia.

went walking in the Peaks yesterday, first time since I was a kid. Stunning views, I'll definitely be going back in the near future.
I actually commented to my wife that it reminded me of the houses and villages reminded me of those you see in Snowdonia.

bringbackrattles

went walking in the Peaks yesterday, first time since I was a kid. Stunning views, I'll definitely be going back in the near future.
I actually commented to my wife that it reminded me of the houses and villages reminded me of those you see in Snowdonia.
Last time I went walking there I was in Edale which is the starting point I think for the Pennine Way. The Peak District is awesome !

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Seagulls. They nest on the roofs. But when the young fall the parents swoop down at you and try and shite on you. Can be scarey for kids. An absolute menace but protected by law. And they make a massive mess attacking the bins outside the fast food places.
I sure as Hell won't be missing those bloody things! Squawking and screeching all through the night and into the early morning! As if it's not enough, not sleeping because of this heat!! I bloody HATE seagulls!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Nope. I was so polite.

I have never wanted to visit New York. It looks a right shit hole with shitty Yanks with shitty attitudes. In other words, it looks like a pile of shit! Anyway, that said, the only parts of Yankland that I would like to see are the "great outdoors" - you know, the sort of scenery you see in Western movies! Other than that, they can shove the country up their Yank arses! Oh, and by the way, I bloody 'ate yanks!

rob9872

Bourton On the Water, Bude, Brancaster

3 different areas of the country, love all of them. Bourton probably my preference as easier to get to the City, could even commute to work but couldn't really afford it at the moment and more likely to retire to one of the other two. Also winters in the Canaries possibly.

bringbackrattles

I sure as Hell won't be missing those bloody things! Squawking and screeching all through the night and into the early morning! As if it's not enough, not sleeping because of this heat!! I bloody HATE seagulls!
Here in Bell Green all year round we're being overrun by bloody pigeons. As I'm near to the shops,the bastards are fat due to eating chips/food etc some are so fat they can't even fly ! And as it's hot and humid there's loads of flies and weird moth type things flying in, its like living in a mini jungle !

Astute

All you need is a comfortable car to travel in, an understanding wife and not all there in the head.

I only ever have to sort the car bit out. And with the amount I drive I always have a comfy reliable motor. The other two are sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread