What's your political compass? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4439
  • Start date

Mucca Mad Boys

Erm....did you actually read the mainfestos?

Labour had lots of messages. many of them criticised on here for being too hardcore. There was a failure to have a clear message on Brexit and that was it.

You say Labour didn't have a message and then follow it up in two sentences with Boris said nothing. Call me mad, but isn't that the absolute definition of not having a message? Tories manifesto was Johnson in a nutshell - lacking any kind of substance or detail. Put in some vague headers about other stuff that people will probably be interested in and then linked it to Brexit in about two paragraphs and went back over those arguments again and again. Only policy Tories had was Brexit, and even that was incredibly vague. "Get Brexit Done". In a way clever because it keeps the ambiguity and can mean whatever people want it to mean. Like marketing does.

2019 was the election to settle Brexit.

Personally, I wanted a second referendum on Brexit. But, the difference between Labour’s and Conservative’s policies was night and day.

For the Conservatives, a vote for them was a vote to ‘Get Brexit Done’. They had a deal that was ‘ready’.

Labour, on the other hand, was a confusing mess. Their manifesto was to renegotiate a deal with the EU and put that to a referendum. Senior Labour politicians couldn’t properly answer if a Labour government would campaign for their Brexit deal or to Remain. As it happened, they haemorrhaged votes from explicitly Remain and Leave parties.

To make matters worse, the detailed manifesto was actually a hinderance. Even on of the founders of Momentum admitted the policy programme was designed for a 10-year government and people did not buy into that programme.

Politics isn’t just about cobbling together a long list of popular policies. It has to fit into a wider policy programme that addresses the issues of the day and the electorate has to believe it is actually deliverable.

What was Tony Blair’s 1997 priorities? “Education, education, education”. Simple and effective.

Mucca Mad Boys

Surprised myself here. Last I checked I was virtually in the centre but ever so slightly in the green quadrant. It’s the first I’ve not been in that quadrant and in my late teens, early 20s was about as left and libertarian as could be.

I don’t like the political compass as a metric, it’s too high level and clearly misrepresents everyone as a left or right libertarian.

1621979901479.png

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

2019 was the election to settle Brexit.

Personally, I wanted a second referendum on Brexit. But, the difference between Labour’s and Conservative’s policies was night and day.

For the Conservatives, a vote for them was a vote to ‘Get Brexit Done’. They had a deal that was ‘ready’.

Labour, on the other hand, was a confusing mess. Their manifesto was to renegotiate a deal with the EU and put that to a referendum. Senior Labour politicians couldn’t properly answer if a Labour government would campaign for their Brexit deal or to Remain. As it happened, they haemorrhaged votes from explicitly Remain and Leave parties.

To make matters worse, the detailed manifesto was actually a hinderance. Even on of the founders of Momentum admitted the policy programme was designed for a 10-year government and people did not buy into that programme.

Politics isn’t just about cobbling together a long list of popular policies. It has to fit into a wider policy programme that addresses the issues of the day and the electorate has to believe it is actually deliverable.

What was Tony Blair’s 1997 priorities? “Education, education, education”. Simple and effective.

That's my point. They said that Labour offered nothing. That wasn't true. They offered a lot. The one thing they didn't offer anything on that made sense was Brexit. Cos they tried not to put off anybody and managed to put off almost everybody. On many other things they had a lot of policies.

Tories were the complete opposite. Offered pretty much nothing apart from 'Get Brexit Done' and linked every section of their manifesto to that to just repeat it ad nauseam. And that was a lie. They said they had a deal that was 'oven ready'. They didn't. Even now the deal they struck they're complaining about.

Fact is it wasn't truly a 'general' election. It was a Brexit election. It was the second referendum. Lots of people voted based on that one thing and hang anything and everything else that comes with it. many others based it on the personality/charisma and Boris has that in spades. Even if you don't like him you can't help but pay him attention. No one remembers the quiet guy who just goes about his business getting things done. They do remember the class clown and the trouble maker.

So you then talk about how the detailed manifesto was a hinderance. How can people say the offered nothing and have a detailed manifesto? It can't be both. Now, you're probably right about people not buying into it, but that's a totally different argument to not offering anything which is the assertion that was made.

Also you talk about Tony Blair's 'Education, Education, Education'. Simple. Like 'Get Brexit Done'. Basically a marketing slogan.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Just had a look at mine compared to everyone else.

I'm 16th out of 29 L-R and 15th out of 29 for L-A

From the sample on here I am literally the centre ground thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread