What's your political compass? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4439
  • Start date

Ccfcisparks

Started off so well in this thread 🤣
giphy.gif
LOL it started to go off the rails when the word political was mentioned in the title

fatso

Except it is. You bring up Diane Abbott because of one interview but I could reel off Tories who have made similar gaffes (Patel, Hancock, Javid off the top of my head). The current government is mostly failed shysters. Hancock and his dodgy online business, Johnson constantly sacked for ineptitude, etc etc.

Of course politics is marketing. Getting your message out, showing people you align with their values, etc. It’s not a dirty word. It’s the literal aim of the game.

Not putting the likes of Abbott up as your representative is also marketing. She might be quite talented (not doing this again but she’s probably better educated than anyone in this thread and certainly more accomplished in her field - and no I don’t rate her personally) but she comes across terribly. The Tories would’ve stuck her in a closet like they did with JRM during the election campaign, not put her on TV. Marketing.
But labour didnt have a message, or even a clue, they had nothing to offer anyone.
That's not marketing, that's offering nothing.

Labour were such a shambles that Boris was told to keep his head down, say nothing, and let labour hand you an election landslide victory on a silver plate with a big fuck off cherry on top.

You cant point at a marketing failure when your life long traditional voters realise you've got nothing to offer. (Unless your marketing people were after exactly the result they got)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Are you saying those people are competent? Cos the actions since their election would massively suggest not.

I'm not denying anything. I've said Labour are shit at winning elections. They fucked up the last GE royally, esp regarding Brexit. I'm not saying they're absolutely stocked with talent either. The people in denial seem to be those that think the Tories are doing a decent job actually in office.

Blaming the voters only alienates and patronises them further (competent or not).

Marty

Just done the mean avg so far
L-R -4.76
L-A -4.48

Only three people are on the right - Grendel, TomRad and Trench
Only two are authoritarian - Marty and Bugsy.

Going by that I'm slightly to the left of average and a bit more liberal. Which is where I'd expect to be.

Just shows I'm the most sensible down to earth person on this site.

Grendel

Bugsy

fatso

Ok, so, I actually have a serious question.

Why do people follow a political party, with the same lifelong loyalty that they follow their football team?

I mean, no party gets everything right all the time, if they did, there wouldn't be any other party. As a floating voter, i just never understood how so many people would only vote 1 way, regardless of that party's manifesto.

shmmeee

But labour didnt have a message, or even a clue, they had nothing to offer anyone.

Labour were such a shambles that Boris was told to keep his head down, say nothing, and let labour hand you an election landslide victory on a silver plate with a big fuck off cherry on top.

You cant point at a marketing failure when your life long traditional voters realise you've got nothing to offer. (Unless your marketing people were after exactly the result they got)

I mean that’s just not true. The Tory manifesto was widely criticised as the least detailed in history and on page count alone was half the size of the Labour one.

But you have come away with the opposite conclusion: marketing.

shmmeee

Why do people follow a political party, with the same lifelong loyalty that they follow their football team?

I mean, no party gets everything right all the time, if they did, there wouldn't be any other party. As a floating voter, i just never understood how so many people would only vote 1 way, regardless of that party's manifesto.

Peoples values don’t generally change over time.

fatso

I mean that’s just not true. The Tory manifesto was widely criticised as the least detailed in history and on page count alone was half the size of the Labour one.

But you have come away with the opposite conclusion: marketing.
Maybe the Tory's manifesto was more believable.

Puts tin hat on!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yes Sunaks career before politics screams failure

The Winchester College private education and Oxford might've helped just a bit. Oh, and being a director of your billionaire father-in-laws investment firm.

That's not to say he hasn't had a good career along with those things as well, but let's just say it gives you a nice little headstart.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Dunno. I vote for who's policies I like best in the manifesto. Yes, you might say what's the point as they're not worth the paper they're written on.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Erm....did you actually read the mainfestos?

Labour had lots of messages. many of them criticised on here for being too hardcore. There was a failure to have a clear message on Brexit and that was it.

You say Labour didn't have a message and then follow it up in two sentences with Boris said nothing. Call me mad, but isn't that the absolute definition of not having a message? Tories manifesto was Johnson in a nutshell - lacking any kind of substance or detail. Put in some vague headers about other stuff that people will probably be interested in and then linked it to Brexit in about two paragraphs and went back over those arguments again and again. Only policy Tories had was Brexit, and even that was incredibly vague. "Get Brexit Done". In a way clever because it keeps the ambiguity and can mean whatever people want it to mean. Like marketing does.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Are there actually any threads that don't have arguments in? Even the most innocent ones on the football side usually descend into rage and meltdowns at some stage.

The only ones I can think of are the personal support ones or the photography thread (I haven't been on that one, but I am only making the assumption. Would be funny if it was actually kicking off on there though).

Grendel

The Winchester College private education and Oxford might've helped just a bit. Oh, and being a director of your billionaire father-in-laws investment firm.

That's not to say he hasn't had a good career along with those things as well, but let's just say it gives you a nice little headstart.

Chip firmly on shoulder

Evo1883

Are people on this site as argumentative at home ?

I'm currently not speaking to my missus so it just manifests onto here lol

Ian1779

In 2019 you are absolutely spot on. Boris had a 3 word message that meant something to the electorate and hid in a fridge.

In 2015 it was a muddled mess, but in 2017 they did have a message and it resonated, and it led to their best performance for many years - albeit still in defeat.

Ccfcisparks

Are there actually any threads that don't have arguments in? Even the most innocent ones on the football side usually descend into rage and meltdowns at some stage.

The only ones I can think of are the personal support ones or the photography thread (I haven't been on that one, but I am only making the assumption. Would be funny if it was actually kicking off on there though).
I THINK the football manager thread is clear too

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Chip firmly on shoulder

So you think someone from a council estate just as, if not more, talented would have the same opportunities?

Did a furlough scheme that missed off almost all the people who actually needed support whereas bigger businesses and those more able to cope for a short while got covered. His big initiative 'Eat Out to Help Out' - hang on, the virus is spreading. How on earth did that happen? Yep, fucking genius is Rishi.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

So you think someone from a council estate just as, if not more, talented would have the same opportunities?

Did a furlough scheme that missed off almost all the people who actually needed support whereas bigger businesses and those more able to cope for a short while got covered. His big initiative 'Eat Out to Help Out' - hang on, the virus is spreading. How on earth did that happen? Yep, fucking genius is Rishi.

In fairness mate, you could go to Wetherspoons and get a meal and a drink for about three quid. Can't knock that.

Users who are viewing this thread