Whats Left/ Who do you want ( within reason) (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Spurs are about to sign a centre back for £42m, Chelsea have had £85m rejected for Lukaku

Ccfcisparks

oh is it?

What is this year, anyone know?

£1.4bn seems to be about the norm- not sure we'll see too much of an increase this year with COVID and all the disruption etc

edit... tried adding it up (assumed 5m for "undisclosed") and looks like there could well be a long way to go yet- under 500m... but thats just going on sky sports website so might be way off
Transfermarkt have it at just over £500m

Offhegoes

An (ideally quick) left sided centre back - I don't want to see Hyam jogging out of the defence and playing a shit ball then getting turned again. I like Hyam, but he has to be in the middle of the 3.

Centre Mid - With Eccles injury, this has to be a priority before Sunday. Unless Jack Burroughs is being primed for that position. Shipley can only play a more advanced role, and Allen is not good enough, and with Kelly not quite fit, we are light in that area.

If Drysdale is considered not ready by Robins, then maybe another centre back (Cranie). Same for Reid, if he's not good enough as back up to Maartsen then we need a left wing back.

SlowerThanPlatt

An (ideally quick) left sided centre back - I don't want to see Hyam jogging out of the defence and playing a shit ball then getting turned again. I like Hyam, but he has to be in the middle of the 3.

Centre Mid - With Eccles injury, this has to be a priority before Sunday. Unless Jack Burroughs is being primed for that position. Shipley can only play a more advanced role, and Allen is not good enough, and with Kelly not quite fit, we are light in that area.

If Drysdale is considered not ready by Robins, then maybe another centre back (Cranie). Same for Reid, if he's not good enough as back up to Maartsen then we need a left wing back.
It was noticeable when Rose came on how superior he is on the ball

Ccfcisparks

Otasowie rejected a contract extension from Wolves, into the last year of his contract now and likely to leave this summer... Great!

Wolfsburg and Anderlecht likely to bid around £6m, not so great...

lordy_87

I don't think Hyam's distribution is as bad as it's made out on here. He was deployed on the left last year which meant he either had to check back on to his right all the time and pass backwards, or play a risky ball forward with his left. I think if he was put on the right we'd have seen much better passing from him. Nobody really highlighted his passing as a weakness till last season, in fact I thought in L1 and L2 it was a strength of his. Christ imagine the passing from Ostigard if it was him out on the left.

Hertsccfc

I don't think Hyam's distribution is as bad as it's made out on here. He was deployed on the left last year which meant he either had to check back on to his right all the time and pass backwards, or play a risky ball forward with his left. I think if he was put on the right we'd have seen much better passing from him. Nobody really highlighted his passing as a weakness till last season, in fact I thought in L1 and L2 it was a strength of his. Christ imagine the passing from Ostigard if it was him out on the left.
Couldn't agree more. But he doesn't kick corner flags

Liquid Gold

Couldn't agree more. But he doesn't kick corner flags
Not really the point is it.

No Hyam doesn’t kick corner flags and his distribution is probably on par with Ostigard.

Ostigard however is a much stronger player, gets into attackers harder and is almost impossible to beat in the air. That’s why people like him, he has attributes that Hyam doesn’t have. If you want to just say “he kicks corner flags and can’t pass either” when ignoring the rest though you’re either missing the point or pushing an agenda.

Fergusons_Beard

I think it’s far to say that Howley definitely now a back up in this position.
Only get another if Allen is sold & I expect he will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hertsccfc

Not really the point is it.

No Hyam doesn’t kick corner flags and his distribution is probably on par with Ostigard.

Ostigard however is a much stronger player, gets into attackers harder and is almost impossible to beat in the air. That’s why people like him, he has attributes that Hyam doesn’t have. If you want to just say “he kicks corner flags and can’t pass either” when ignoring the rest though you’re either missing the point or pushing an agenda.
Well it is the point i was responding which was about Hyam's distribution and the comparison with Ostigard. And I was suggesting a reason for some people's different perceptions.

I take your points about Ostigard 's strengths but that wasn't in the original post I was responding to.

Just because I wasn't making the points you did it doesn't mean I was missing the point. There are lots of points that could be made about both players. Both have strengths and weaknesses but I was talking about the one that was in the post I responded to.

What do you mean by "pushing an agenda"? I am just expressing an opinion as a fan. Other than that I don't have any agenda.

Liquid Gold

Well it is the point i was responding which was about Hyam's distribution and the comparison with Ostigard. And I was suggesting a reason for some people's different perceptions.

I take your points about Ostigard 's strengths but that wasn't in the original post I was responding to.

Just because I wasn't making the points you did it doesn't mean I was missing the point. There are lots of points that could be made about both players. Both have strengths and weaknesses but I was talking about the one that was in the post I responded to.

What do you mean by "pushing an agenda"? I am just expressing an opinion as a fan. Other than that I don't have any agenda.
"He doesn't kick corner flags"

You're quick clearly suggesting Cov fans don't appreciate quality and are just going on 'pashun' when comparing Hyam to Ostigard's worst attribute.

Grendel

Hyam is sub standard at this level and Ostigaard isn't - thats it - and Hyam is terrible at distribution and has the pace of Kenny Sansom as of today

Hertsccfc

"He doesn't kick corner flags"

You're quick clearly suggesting Cov fans don't appreciate quality and are just going on 'pashun' when comparing Hyam to Ostigard's worst attribute.
I was responding to a point on that matter and saying I agree. The post didn't relate to other attributes. The point I was making is that Hyam is underrated in my view and I feel that body language plays a large part on that. It's like people criticise Walker for not smiling.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Some funny old posts to read through

The Hyam/Ostigard comparison reminds me a little of the Keogh/Cranie partnership we had in the 11/12 season. Keogh a blood and thunder sort of player like Ostigard, chucks himself into challenges and headers - sometimes due to being out of position in the first place - but both fans favourites. Both old school centre halves really when you strip it all back

Cranie and Hyam both more diminutive characters, but excellent readers of the game and all round solid pros for this level. Never thought Cranie got the credit he deserved when he was here previously, he was a huge loss when we got relegated. Hyam’s distribution was sensible last season, didn’t give the ball away much which is what I imagine he was instructed to do.

Rose’s distribution is very good but I think he the weakest defensively from the current first choice back 3 - very interesting to see how he goes this season

slowpoke

Robins has said other than Cranie and/or Soure he is hopeful of two more loans I’d think one almost certainly a CB the other with Eccles out for two or three months a CM.

Liquid Gold

So our "working two windows in advance" recruitment model involves giving a load of minutes to two 30+ year old all through pre-season then not signing them?

Users who are viewing this thread