Whats happening at the Coventry Telegraph? (1 Viewer)

afan4life

headlines for CCFC do not seem to have changed for days

Tom Leach

'Sup,

Simple answer: Furlough.

The team is massively smaller now than before due to furlough so we've been stretched here and there.

My week this week has been Coventry one day, then I was covering the Jude Bellingham situation and Blues presser, West Brom promotion on Wednesday night, rare day off yesterday and then covering Aston Villa (but am doing some Cov stories quickly bc why not) today.

As I'm sure you can understand, Coventry were the only team REACH Midlands Sport cover who are not playing games right now so when they were looking for writers to fill gaps elsewhere it made sense for them to grab me.

It's also my day off tomorrow but I am going to cover the Rangers game because, again, why not.

No pre-match or post-match press conference though due to coronavirus, the club say, so we'll see how it plays out.

As I'm sure you know, print isn't doing too well right now so we'll see what the future hold for myself and my colleagues but hopefully things should be back to normal when the season starts.

Tom Leach

No, not sure you can do it like that. Some have been furloughed throughout and those who have stayed have just jumped club to club to ensure everyone gets equal coverage.

shmmeee

No, not sure you can do it like that. Some have been furloughed throughout and those who have stayed have just jumped club to club to ensure everyone gets equal coverage.

On more important points: you said Dadashov was next in after O’Hare. Any news?

oldfiver

the employer can make a decision who to keep working and furlough.

The employee cannot decide if he wants to or not

The employer has to pay full rate for the days/hours worked

SkyBlueDom26

Are the telegraph now going to pressure wasps for answers or are they still gonna do fuck all.....fucking jokers

Last edited:

sapf0

Brian Dick from the Brum Mail who covers us (Birmingham) is on furlough. Which dickhead puts the sports journos on furlough during the end of the season when both local clubs could go down?

Nick

Administrator
People can work from home in writing articles, they dont need to be furloughed any more.

Despite being always pissed off by the bullshit and the tricks, it's never nice to see normal people losing their jobs,

mr_monkey

@Tom Leach I'll ask this question again and hopefully you will answer this time. Are the telegraph going to run a campaign to get wasps and this "3rd party" to drop the indemnity clause so we can have some hope in playing in Coventry in the next five years

The campaign that was (very rightly at the time) run to get us back from Northampton seems to get a lot of traction and I can't help but think that having the local media trying to do the same this time would help as well

Cheers

Dave

chiefdave

@Tom Leach I'll ask this question again and hopefully you will answer this time. Are the telegraph going to run a campaign to get wasps and this "3rd party" to drop the indemnity clause so we can have some hope in playing in Coventry in the next five years

The campaign that was (very rightly at the time) run to get us back from Northampton seems to get a lot of traction and I can't help but think that having the local media trying to do the same this time would help as well
I'll click on every bloody advert on their website every day if they do but I wouldn't hold your breath. If last year is anything to go by The Telegraph and CWR will play dumb every time indemnity is mentioned.

Nick

Administrator

Cheers

Dave

The fact that the Telegraph and CWR were so petrified to mention it and eager to play it down gave it away a little bit.

Linnell was adamant there was no such thing, getting angry with people who mentioned it.

usskyblue

The fact that the Telegraph and CWR were so petrified to mention it and eager to play it down gave it away a little bit.

Linnell was adamant there was no such thing, getting angry with people who mentioned it.

tenor.gif

usskyblue

Remember it well, some weird accent bloke. ;)

You did get them flustered on CWR, it was hilarious. They were stuttering all over the shop, bet the Microphone was covered in spit.

Then lost it on Twitter and couldn’t understand why his assistant called and apologised for him 😂

Winny the Bish

I've got a friend who works at Reach in a regional sport role so I know it's been hit real bad by COVID. Hopefully, your position is safe Tom. 🤞

jim20

Shame to see you leave the Sky Blues desk Tom Leach, good luck and hopefully you’ll be covering us in the premier league one day soon

better days

'Sup,

Simple answer: Furlough.

The team is massively smaller now than before due to furlough so we've been stretched here and there.

My week this week has been Coventry one day, then I was covering the Jude Bellingham situation and Blues presser, West Brom promotion on Wednesday night, rare day off yesterday and then covering Aston Villa (but am doing some Cov stories quickly bc why not) today.

As I'm sure you can understand, Coventry were the only team REACH Midlands Sport cover who are not playing games right now so when they were looking for writers to fill gaps elsewhere it made sense for them to grab me.

It's also my day off tomorrow but I am going to cover the Rangers game because, again, why not.

No pre-match or post-match press conference though due to coronavirus, the club say, so we'll see how it plays out.

As I'm sure you know, print isn't doing too well right now so we'll see what the future hold for myself and my colleagues but hopefully things should be back to normal when the season starts.

Good analysis Tom
So many sectors are being hollowed out by the effects of the virus on top of damage already incurred by the move online
Good luck and keep it up. Most of us appreciate what you're doing

Covkid1968#

Good luck Tom.... been some good reporting. Not Liverpool is it..? L Echo guy lives opposite family and he was saying he’s moved on..

Users who are viewing this thread