Whats happening at the Coventry Telegraph? (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

Nooo! Building relationships with people who can help you is nefarious and evil and not at all a major part of all business everywhere.

Got to love the WMCA and the knock on effect that Coventry Labour agreed to.

Warwickhunt

Tom was building a good relationship with the CCFC supporters and his bosses were getting worried so decided to move him onto another outlet. Well done Tom i only started to get back to reading the Telegraph because of your fare and honest reporting. Shall stop now as it will probably go back to being biased as it was.

Philosorapter

What has this got to do with having a media management strategy?

That would just be populism mate.

How about employing a public relations firm masquerading as a society to push dodgy public policy.

mr_monkey

Because the club give them no information they've got nothing to report.

Don't talk such rubbish, the telegraph pick and choose what they report... im sure if Tim fisher was caught in a brothel then it would have been all over the paper yet it wasn't even mentioned when a wasps director was...

same as with all the stuff about the reasons why we aren't at the Ricoh, why would the club give them extra access when they have already proven that their stance is firmly black and gold rather than sky blue

RegTheDonk

Good luck Tom, thanks for sharing what you could with us and not being blinkered. See you next season if you're dealing with Prem clubs ;)

shmmeee

Don't talk such rubbish, the telegraph pick and choose what they report... im sure if Tim fisher was caught in a brothel then it would have been all over the paper yet it wasn't even mentioned when a wasps director was...

same as with all the stuff about the reasons why we aren't at the Ricoh, why would the club give them extra access when they have already proven that their stance is firmly black and gold rather than sky blue

Hahahahaha

You think the paper so desperate for content it makes five articles about a Twitter comment is picking and choosing what to print.

Classic.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm talking about stuff regarding on the field - transfers, injuries etc. They give the paper much less info than they used to due probably due to stances taken on the stadium etc. I reckon they've deliberately given them bum steers in the past so they report something that doesn't happen and they look silly and discredited as a reliable news source. It also makes the paper more wary to print stuff they've told if they're uncertain the source is trustworthy.

Other thing is social media pretty beats them to the punch everytime - it's a direct line of communication so no need to wait for another journo to write it up/release. So by nature it's always behind on the news, which kind of negates its purpose and you end up with the clickbait 'content' crap you see from most news outlets these days.

pipkin73

Hahahahaha

You think the paper so desperate for content it makes five articles about a Twitter comment is picking and choosing what to print.

Classic.
Wasps were spending lot's in advertisement with them, CCFC were spending nothing with them.
The mess all newspapers are in these days, nevermind local papers they won't piss off the advertisers or they could lose them.
As a result, always positive Wasps news and either none or negative CCFC news till TL started reporting up to date news and actually reporting stuff we wanted to read (i think i remember not long ago him reporting something and people on here told him to be carefull or he would lose his job).
Looks like it has helped him as he has been promoted to Premier League reporting.
Let's hope the new guy sees this and does not hide away and reports real articles and does not hide away and go back to 5 things......

Nick

Administrator
Hahahahaha

Classic.

They do.

Imagine how many hits they would have got with some negative Wasps stories they chose not to mention.

SBT

I have a feeling that any kind of serious Wasps story, positive or negative, would barely be worth the CT's time. They're just not relevant to people in Coventry.

Nick

Administrator
I have a feeling that any kind of serious Wasps story, positive or negative, would barely be worth the CT's time. They're just not relevant to people in Coventry.

That's why they have employed somebody to cover them pretty much exclusively.

mr_monkey

Wasps were spending lot's in advertisement with them, CCFC were spending nothing with them.
The mess all newspapers are in these days, nevermind local papers they won't piss off the advertisers or they could lose them.
As a result, always positive Wasps news and either none or negative CCFC news till TL started reporting up to date news and actually reporting stuff we wanted to read (i think i remember not long ago him reporting something and people on here told him to be carefull or he would lose his job).
Looks like it has helped him as he has been promoted to Premier League reporting.
Let's hope the new guy sees this and does not hide away and reports real articles and does not hide away and go back to 5 things......

The thing for me that will never sit right is when talks broke down last year for a return to the Ricoh, the telegraph did nothing to try and help the situation, barely reported on the reasons that the football club gave for it and never questioned wasps on the indemnity clause

They did a fine job applying pressure to the relevant people when we went to Northampton but have done (and carry on doing) fuck all to help us get back to Coventry now and their inability to write anything negative about wasps doesn't give their readership the full picture which is basically what their job as journalists is

pipkin73

They are not relevant to us BUT as Wasps spend money on advertising it keeps them happy and means they will spend more with them.
To be honest i can't blame them, as most on here know i am close to going bust due to Covid so no tourists and i will print whatever anyone wants now (within reason) just to survive so i'm just like them.
Money keeps you in business, printing nice reports that earns you nothing leaves you broke and soon gone.
I know once this is over, some of the jobs i've printed i won't print again but at the moment money is money and the CT are no different.

mr_monkey

I'm talking about stuff regarding on the field - transfers, injuries etc. They give the paper much less info than they used to due probably due to stances taken on the stadium etc. I reckon they've deliberately given them bum steers in the past so they report something that doesn't happen and they look silly and discredited as a reliable news source. It also makes the paper more wary to print stuff they've told if they're uncertain the source is trustworthy.

Other thing is social media pretty beats them to the punch everytime - it's a direct line of communication so no need to wait for another journo to write it up/release. So by nature it's always behind on the news, which kind of negates its purpose and you end up with the clickbait 'content' crap you see from most news outlets these days.

That's some proper tin hat stuff there mate :) even since wasps turned up the telegraph have treated the football club as second class citizens so no wonder they don't want to speak to them, why would they

pipkin73

The thing for me that will never sit right is when talks broke down last year for a return to the Ricoh, the telegraph did nothing to try and help the situation, barely reported on the reasons that the football club gave for it and never questioned wasps on the indemnity clause

They did a fine job applying pressure to the relevant people when we went to Northampton but have done (and carry on doing) fuck all to help us get back to Coventry now and their inability to write anything negative about wasps doesn't give their readership the full picture which is basically what their job as journalists is
I think i've just explained that on my last post. Yes i agree 100% but businesses are doing whatever they have to do to survive and Wasps help pay the bills, CCFC don't pay anything to them. Maybe if CCFC want fairer reporting they will have to advertise with the CT and pay more than Wasps and then they will be on our side. It's wrong but that's the way the world works at the moment.

mr_monkey

I think i've just explained that on my last post. Yes i agree 100% but businesses are doing whatever they have to do to survive and Wasps help pay the bills, CCFC don't pay anything to them. Maybe if CCFC want fairer reporting they will have to advertise with the CT and pay more than Wasps and then they will be on our side. It's wrong but that's the way the world works at the moment.

And it is a fecking travisty isn't it :( the issue is that there are still people I know who get all their info from the telegraph so they don't get the whole facts and base their judgements and reasons for not going to watch the club on what the telegraph say (or don't say in this case)

it just stinks to high heaven and the club shouldn't have to pay for advertising to be reported on properly by the paper of the city it belongs in especially when it isn't due to a club from London

pipkin73

And it is a fecking travisty isn't it :( the issue is that there are still people I know who get all their info from the telegraph so they don't get the whole facts and base their judgements and reasons for not going to watch the club on what the telegraph say (or don't say in this case)

it just stinks to high heaven and the club shouldn't have to pay for advertising to be reported on properly by the paper of the city it belongs in especially when it isn't due to a club from London
I agree with you, in the old days CCFC was the papers main story (probably still is), but in those days you brought a paper to read it (if you want a free press keep buying the paper).
Now it's all free online, if it's a good story people share it on social media so the CT don't get the clicks or the paper sales (what can they do to stay in business then).
I used to love The Pink, how the hell they got it everywhere so quick still amazes me.
Times have changed, social media reports most news before CT does and when they do get an exclusive it's an exclusive for 2 mins before it's all over social media.
That's why they need advertising money, without it there is no CT to slag of in 2 years time.
Wasps pay them for bullshit stories, CCFC don't thus Wasps get the headlines.
It's not correct a Cov paper doing this but without it they are prob gone.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They do.

Imagine how many hits they would have got with some negative Wasps stories they chose not to mention.

Vast majority of the population of the city don't give a shit. Only interesting to Wasps fans (which won't be many), possibly CRFC fans and the vociferous anti-Wasps CCFC fans. Most CCFC fans, unless it relates to the stadium, wouldn't be that bothered either.

This board doesn't reflect the entire population of the city, just a small number with a shared interest.

mr_monkey

Vast majority of the population of the city don't give a shit. Only interesting to Wasps fans (which won't be many), possibly CRFC fans and the vociferous anti-Wasps CCFC fans. Most CCFC fans, unless it relates to the stadium, wouldn't be that bothered either.

This board doesn't reflect the entire population of the city, just a small number with a shared interest.

But at least then it would be out in the public domain and it would be a level playing field with the information out there rather than being massively skewed in wasps' favour

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's some proper tin hat stuff there mate :) even since wasps turned up the telegraph have treated the football club as second class citizens so no wonder they don't want to speak to them, why would they

It started before Wasps turned up and has got worse since. CT basically went with the line that SISU were distressing the stadium so they could get it cheap/free. They took umbrage and started restricting access for CT reporters. How can they report things if the club are ostracising them? Otherwise they're just repeating rumours.

As has also been said it's a dying medium and any money in is necessary. Wasps use them, CCFC largely don't.

You could argue why don't they be nice to them to get them to advertise etc but with our owners it's always a power game. They refuse to advertise unless the CT starts telling the story from their perspective. So equally the club could make the first move and try involving them a bit more and using their services to try and soften their stance in their reporting. It seems to be a tactic that's working well for Wasps.

Nick

Administrator

So why do they employ somebody especially to cover them if there's nothing in it for the Telegraph to report things about them?

Frostie

So why do they employ somebody especially to cover them if there's nothing in it for the Telegraph to report things about them?

Amazing isn't it that they have someone covering them full time yet he somehow missed a huge story that made all of the national press... :unsure:

Nick

Administrator
Amazing isn't it that they have someone covering them full time yet he somehow missed a huge story that made all of the national press... :unsure:

He didn't miss it, he was fully aware of it.

It is the same as one of their players said to the national media about the manager going and he wanted "the truth to come out". The telegraph copied the rest of the quote but left that line out so it didn't look bad.

Reactions: AOM

Frostie

He didn't miss it, he was fully aware of it.

It is the same as one of their players said to the national media about the manager going and he wanted "the truth to come out". The telegraph copied the rest of the quote but left that line out so it didn't look bad.

Exactly. But people still believe they're fair & impartial?

Can you imagine a City player making a comment like that & the Telegraph not wanting to dig deeper?

Or imagine Fisher was spending thousands on hookers & cocaine (not the first time for Dallaglio either), would they somehow miss that? Doubt it.

Instead they post horrendously critical stories of a City player for having the audacity to buy a new car!

Don't forget, the souring of relationship was down to the angle the Telegraph took against the club rather than the other way around.

shmmeee

Exactly. But people still believe they're fair & impartial?

Can you imagine a City player making a comment like that & the Telegraph not wanting to dig deeper?

Or imagine Fisher was spending thousands on hookers & cocaine (not the first time for Dallaglio either), would they somehow miss that? Doubt it.

Instead they post horrendously critical stories of a City player for having the audacity to buy a new car!

Don't forget, the souring of relationship was down to the angle the Telegraph took against the club rather than the other way around.

Crowley is ridiculous. Firstly claiming losing £50m means you don’t k ow what you’re doing while defending owners who lost 50% more than that. Secondly that printing what people are saying about the club because the club aren’t talking sours the relationship.

Let’s remember the campaign against Sisu as owners came about when they were threatening to liquidate the club and it looked like a serious threat to the existence of the club. Same as the Hoffman takeover. It’s dragged up as some smoking gun but it’s not without context.

Seems everyone forgotten what it was like in 2014, but have remembered all the responses.

Frostie

Crowley is ridiculous. Firstly claiming losing £50m means you don’t k ow what you’re doing while defending owners who lost 50% more than that. Secondly that printing what people are saying about the club because the club aren’t talking sours the relationship.

Let’s remember the campaign against Sisu as owners came about when they were threatening to liquidate the club and it looked like a serious threat to the existence of the club. Same as the Hoffman takeover. It’s dragged up as some smoking gun but it’s not without context.

Seems everyone forgotten what it was like in 2014, but have remembered all the responses.

Do we have evidence that they threatened to liquidate the club? I know it was claimed by Mutton & CCC as part of their power play when Sisu asked to reduce the rent to a sensible level & were refused.
Because CCC made the claim, it was reported by the Telegraph but Sisu always denied it & there would have been no logical or financial reason for them to do it anyway?

It wasn't just the whole "sell up" campaign either by the Telegraph. They were reporting half truths & one side of the story which annoyed Sisu & then started being overly critical of the players too - the liquidation claim was in 2014 as you say but they weren't banned by the club until late 2016?

Nick

Administrator

Again though you only seem to remember half of things.

The huge PR campaign from Weber Shandwick which the Telegraph were on board with, the forced takeover attempt with the Trust, ACL and Haskell.

Maybe we can go back to when Sky Blues in the Community were doing their auctions to sell things off to raise money for the Legacy Fund and the Telegraph kept refusing to publicise it?

Users who are viewing this thread