What was your favourite ever season watching city in the league (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

99/00 with Mcallister, Keane, chippo and Hadji.. 98/99 was good when we had Whelan, Huckerby and Boateng.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Had some great seasons and of course many dire ones. But if I had to choose one it is the season we won promotion to the First Division under Jimmy Hill in 67. Us kids running on the pitch after beating Wolves 3-1 in a crowd of 51,000 that campaign, unforgettable moment.
Same for me BBR. Best times ever at Highfield Road!

capel & collindridge

For me, it has to be Highfield Road and at a time when I could attend every week because the ground was within walking distance of home. That meant there could be a familiar family pattern of the day of preparing to get to Highfield Road quite early to buy a programme and soak in the atmosphere, watching the game and usually being pleased with the result because we didn't lose many of our home games. Then there would be going home for tea while listening to the football results and checking the the pools, then rushing out straight away afterwards to wait for the pink uns to be thown on the pavement near the newsagents before they were carried inside unwrapped and sold. I liked to be the family member that went and collected our pink un so I could read Nemo's match report as I walked slowly home. Once autumn set in and it already dark by the time the pink un was delivered,. I would stand near the light from the chippy and read it there. Then I'd have to run home with it, to make up the lost time!

The sad thing was that we weren't that good a team in the years of 1955-6 and 1956-7. So for most people, these are not seasons to remember. But the magic of supporting your team no matter where it is in the table has never changed. With just two up and two down and 24 teams in the league, most teams would remain in the same division season after season. We were a good Third Division team, but never quite so good as teams like Bristol City, Ipswich, Southampton or Brighton. Older fans often said we were unlucky to be relegated from Division Two in 1952. But from 1955/6 to 1956/7 hardly any of our Division Two team were left. We did have two great talents: Reg Matthews - chosen to make his full England debut in 1956. He was the first Coventry-born footballer to be capped by England and one of only five post-war players to be capped while playing for a Third Division club. He was the most expensive goalkeeper at the time he signed for Chelsea in November 1956 for £22,000. Because Matthews was so good, the weaknesses of defenders like Lol Harvey didn't really matter.

We also had the magic of Ray Sambrook who scored 14 goals for us as a winger in the 1956/7 season . Sadly, we played a friendly against First Division Man City in August 1957 and Sambrook was star performer and scored twice in a one-sided pre-season 3-1 win. Man City promptly signed him and he played fairly regularly for them for three or four years scoring a goal evey four or five games.

They were also the years that stalwarts like Roy Kirk, Noel Simpson, Peter Hill, and Ken McPherson were regular team members, when youngsters like Frank Klentzenbauer, Steve Makone and George Curtis first played for our first team, and my old favourites Tommy Capel and Colin Collindridge left and my new ones, Jack Boxley and Jimmy Rogers, newly signed from Bristol City, arrived. Between them, Hill, Boxley, Rogers, Sambrook and McPherson scored 59 league goals in the 56/57 season.

Yet the following season, I learned about the City curse. After hovering around the top half of the table, for season after season, it was decided that Third Divisions North and South were to be replaced by a Third and Fourth Division. The top 12 teams in Third Divisions N and S would become the following year's Divison Three and the bottom 12 would make up the new Division Four. It was one of the few seasons when we ended up the season in the bottom half of the table, nine places above the bottom team. Just our luck!

Evo1883

2010-11 season for me. The Marlon King season.

Living with 4 mates and we had about 8 of us as regulars, including my dad and Jesus. Early starts in the pub every time.
Used to meet up with @bringbackrattles in the wheatsheaf as well.
People started to drift away a couple of seasons after that.

And the Dublin/Huckerby days, but if I'm honest I can't remember the details, I remember us losing most games though and getting annoyed with hundreds of away fans in the west terrace when "big" teams turned up.
Jesus as in, jesus, start the song?

Fergusons_Beard

For me, it has to be Highfield Road and at a time when I could attend every week because the ground was within walking distance of home. That meant there could be a familiar family pattern of the day of preparing to get to Highfield Road quite early to buy a programme and soak in the atmosphere, watching the game and usually being pleased with the result because we didn't lose many of our home games. Then there would be going home for tea while listening to the football results and checking the the pools, then rushing out straight away afterwards to wait for the pink uns to be thown on the pavement near the newsagents before they were carried inside unwrapped and sold. I liked to be the family member that went and collected our pink un so I could read Nemo's match report as I walked slowly home. Once autumn set in and it already dark by the time the pink un was delivered,. I would stand near the light from the chippy and read it there. Then I'd have to run home with it, to make up the lost time!

The sad thing was that we weren't that good a team in the years of 1955-6 and 1956-7. So for most people, these are not seasons to remember. But the magic of supporting your team no matter where it is in the table has never changed. With just two up and two down and 24 teams in the league, most teams would remain in the same division season after season. We were a good Third Division team, but never quite so good as teams like Bristol City, Ipswich, Southampton or Brighton. Older fans often said we were unlucky to be relegated from Division Two in 1952. But from 1955/6 to 1956/7 hardly any of our Division Two team were left. We did have two great talents: Reg Matthews - chosen to make his full England debut in 1956. He was the first Coventry-born footballer to be capped by England and one of only five post-war players to be capped while playing for a Third Division club. He was the most expensive goalkeeper at the time he signed for Chelsea in November 1956 for £22,000. Because Matthews was so good, the weaknesses of defenders like Lol Harvey didn't really matter.

We also had the magic of Ray Sambrook who scored 14 goals for us as a winger in the 1956/7 season . Sadly, we played a friendly against First Division Man City in August 1957 and Sambrook was star performer and scored twice in a one-sided pre-season 3-1 win. Man City promptly signed him and he played fairly regularly for them for three or four years scoring a goal evey four or five games.

They were also the years that stalwarts like Roy Kirk, Noel Simpson, Peter Hill, and Ken McPherson were regular team members, when youngsters like Frank Klentzenbauer, Steve Makone and George Curtis first played for our first team, and my old favourites Tommy Capel and Colin Collindridge left and my new ones, Jack Boxley and Jimmy Rogers, newly signed from Bristol City, arrived. Between them, Hill, Boxley, Rogers, Sambrook and McPherson scored 59 league goals in the 56/57 season.

Yet the following season, I learned about the City curse. After hovering around the top half of the table, for season after season, it was decided that Third Divisions North and South were to be replaced by a Third and Fourth Division. The top 12 teams in Third Divisions N and S would become the following year's Divison Three and the bottom 12 would make up the new Division Four. It was one of the few seasons when we ended up the season in the bottom half of the table, nine places above the bottom team. Just our luck!

Thanks for that C&C.

Thanks for sharing those great memories-not many blokes on here that were witness to the 50’s CCFC matches.

I always wondered why you had your user name-and now I know-feel a bit of an idiot that I didn’t realise it would be City related.

Off to try and find more info.

PUSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rob9872

1) The Entertainers because were simply that.
2) Last season as I've never known anything like us being in and around the top, such a shame it was cut short. Shame it was at St Andrews too.
3) The L2 season, not just the play offs, but many new grounds, a lot of camaraderie among fans rather than the doom and gloom as we slid down the leagues, rock bottom was actually quite good (also daughter started coming to away games with me)
4) The season after we won the cup so 87/88 - so many full houses due to the uptake in season ticket sales before the final. If I'm honest I don't remember too much about 86/87 apart from the cup run

Offhegoes

Really enjoyed 1992/1993. After the woeful 91/92 season where our biggest achievement was five 0-0's in a row, Bobby Gould brought a bit of fun back. Ndlouv was now a regular, and of course John Williams the flying postman, and Phil Babb were signed. The emergence of Lee Hurst as a gifted central midfielder and we suddenly starting seeing the best of Rosario. And who can forget Micky Quinn. From August-Feb it was great, but the wheels came off when Rosario was sold, and Quinn stopped scoring. Gould was gone by October the following season.

capel & collindridge

Thanks for that C&C.

Thanks for sharing those great memories-not many blokes on here that were witness to the 50’s CCFC matches.

I always wondered why you had your user name-and now I know-feel a bit of an idiot that I didn’t realise it would be City related.

Off to try and find more info.

PUSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Re my user-name: It was reading a thread on this forum about being excited about new transfers that made me remember how, even as a child, I got really excited over the summer holidays, about new players arriving. I think I thought at that time you had to sign two new players at a time. Tommy Capel and Colin Collindridge both came from Forest. A couple of years later Jack Boxley and Jimmy Rogers both came from Bristol City. I was deluded.

But nowhere near as deluded as some folk on here still are!

;-)

Calista

77-78 for me. We scored 75 league goals in the top division

And conceded 76 if I remember rightly :D
Yes, that season stands out for pure entertainment. I doubt whether any team before or since has played in such an adventurous way in the top flight of English football, I recall being about 4 or 5 nil down at the Hawthorns and Milne replaced a defender with a striker to try and get back into the game! Ended up 7-1 I think so it kind of worked.

The league campaign in 86-87 is underrated IMO - if we hadn't gone and won the cup people would still have said it was one of our best seasons. That was a great side.

Grendel

And conceded 76 if I remember rightly :D
Yes, that season stands out for pure entertainment. I doubt whether any team before or since has played in such an adventurous way in the top flight of English football, I recall being about 4 or 5 nil down at the Hawthorns and Milne replaced a defender with a striker to try and get back into the game! Ended up 7-1 I think so it kind of worked.

The league campaign in 86-87 is underrated IMO - if we hadn't gone and won the cup people would still have said it was one of our best seasons. That was a great side.

The 7 - 1 wasn’t that season to be fair and we had a +13 goal difference - we had a terrible run of results in the last 7 games and could have easily finished top 4

Hertsccfc

I enjoyed 77/78 and 98/99 but it has to be 86/87. It wasn't all about the cup run and we played good football in the league too. Regis and Bennett were great that season. I remember the West Terrace would stand up as soon as either of them got the ball anywhere near goal.

Calista

Wow the memory really plays tricks! I'd forgotten that we carried on in a similar vein the next year, only less successfully.
Yes, I saw the 6-0 thrashing at Goodison Park too ... no complaints with that one, we played a ridiculously open game and they scored six with ease. Sadly I was in the Everton end for that one, no fun at all.

Johhny Blue

Has to be 77/78 when Wallace and Fergie were on fire.We were the first team that season to reach 100 goals scored in our matches. The League 2 promotion season in 2018 was pretty good too, that Notts County away play off game will always live in the memory.
Watching Fergie and Wallace that season was a thrill. Expected a goal every time we went forward

Johhny Blue

Watching Fergie and Wallace that season was a thrill. Expected a goal every time we went forward
I remember Ferguson breakaway on his own towards the kop (v Birmingham?) He got to about 25 yds out and seemed to think “ Fuck it i’ve run far enough” and smashed it in. Vardy’s goal against Liverpool a couple of seasons ago reminded me of it. A real confidence goal

Last edited:

ovduk78

Wow the memory really plays tricks! I'd forgotten that we carried on in a similar vein the next year, only less successfully.
Yes, I saw the 6-0 thrashing at Goodison Park too ... no complaints with that one, we played a ridiculously open game and they scored six with ease. Sadly I was in the Everton end for that one, no fun at all.
We were down the side, I don't know if they even had an away section at the game. We did have chances though and their goalie, George Wood, made some good saves. 3 days later I was on the coach for the League Cup game at Anfield, I think I skipped off school early to get the train to Coventry, walk to HR and then got on 1 of the many coaches. My mum & dad didn't even know I was at the game and only found out the next morning when the couple on the coach who let me sleep on their settee called my mum to tell her that I was ok.

Calista

I hadn't realised that awesome Anfield match was only a few days after the Everton one. What a memorable night that was, I don't ever recall a better atmosphere at a game.

wingy

I hadn't realised that awesome Anfield match was only a few days after the Everton one. What a memorable night that was, I don't ever recall a better atmosphere at a game.
Can anyone remember the disallowed goal by Tommy Hutch , memory is playing up but I have it in my mind that it was a header ?

ovduk78

Our fans were fantastic. I am sure we had the stand on the side with the Kop to our right and the Anfield Road end, no idea how many fans we had there that night. I managed to get back to the coach with no trouble but could see it all kicking off outside, the coach driver closed the doors to keep it outside & if all coaches did that many fans must have got a kick in because of it.

wingy

Our fans were fantastic. I am sure we had the stand on the side with the Kop to our right and the Anfield Road end, no idea how many fans we had there that night. I managed to get back to the coach with no trouble but could see it all kicking off outside, the coach driver closed the doors to keep it outside & if all coaches did that many fans must have got a kick in because of it.
It was rough alright, horse's charging , we were walking down the side and they discovered one lad hiding his scarf then it all went up.

Sky Blue Harry H

Just watched a video of all of Huckerby's goals for us. In August 98 he scored v Chelsea from a Dublin flick on and the commentator referred to the pair having netted 37 (or 38?) goals between them the previous season (97/98) Wow - forgot that they were that prolific!

Tile Hill Phil

It was rough alright, horse's charging , we were walking down the side and they discovered one lad hiding his scarf then it all went up.
It was the Kemlyn Road Stand we were in, and a few of our fans were in the Anfield end terracing We took about 8,000 fans that night and the atmosphere we created was brilliant, and it did kick off outside.

Johhny Blue

Can anyone remember the disallowed goal by Tommy Hutch , memory is playing up but I have it in my mind that it was a header ?
He put one through Ray Clemence’s legs late in the first game from outside the box late on and it hit the post. We were so close to a big win that night.

NortonSkyBlue

I remember the mist, the fear in the air after the game, the fantastic support in the ground, the wonderful performance but I think I am still shivering from the cold after windows were bricked in our coach. The 70’s were a wonderful time to be alive...

Users who are viewing this thread