What was your favourite ever season watching city in the league (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

League only... In terms of how good they were, looked forward to going to matches etc..

Hobo

The year we won the FA Cup. The momentum carried into a lot of our League Games.

Before that it was Ferguson and Wallace years Graydon and Hutchison on the wings. We often got over run and got spanked 6 or 7 nil at places like Everton and WBA. But on our day we could terrorise anybody.

It was often cavalier and reckless but entertaining.

Sky_Blue_Daz

97/98 for me , me and my best mate had season tickets in the west stand . Dublin , huckerby and whelan. Think we only lost 2 at home

first game of the season beat Chelsea Dion scored a hatrick. Highfield road bathed in sunshine . Beat Utd 3-2hucks with that goal . Going to the ground expecting to win , the emergence of boetang. Beating villa in the Fa cup , we should of won the cup that year I had hair and quite handsome , music was better beer was cheap .Dion was robbed of a place in the World Cup squad imagine that, Coventrys captain playing for England Never happen again

Some bits of my reply may be enhanced (the hair and handsome bit)

harvey098

League 2 promotion and weirdly the Tony Mowbray season of 15/16. I know the latter fizzled out but it was the first time I ever really felt like we were in a promotion race which somehow sticks out more in the memory than the actual promotion seasons.

Edit: I think if we would've been allowed in to the games til the end then last season would've been special with promotion party atmospheres etc. Still feel a bit robbed of the full feeling.

AOM

Last season, but also loved the squad we had with Mowbray (Armstrong, Maddison, Murphy, Vincelot & co) until it all fell completely off the rails

DannyThomas_1981

I've been to games from 1980.

Last season for me as well - fantastic football and a remarkable rise back to the Championship.

Also loved the play offs to get us promoted out of L2.

NortonSkyBlue

That’s a tough one. 69-70 getting in to Europe, 77-78 was mighty fine, obviously 86-87 truly special, loved 97-98 and 99-00. Pretty much slim pickings every year until Robins came back and last season was great, tempered by playing in Birmingham yet somehow that made it more of an achievement and was pretty much the only season where I felt we were better than all of our rivals.
Pre season 87-88 that summer was like floating on air, cup winners, charity shield, Speedie, Spurs at home first game. Never felt like that before or since. We were somebody.

hill83

2010-11 season for me. The Marlon King season.

Living with 4 mates and we had about 8 of us as regulars, including my dad and Jesus. Early starts in the pub every time.
Used to meet up with @bringbackrattles in the wheatsheaf as well.
People started to drift away a couple of seasons after that.

And the Dublin/Huckerby days, but if I'm honest I can't remember the details, I remember us losing most games though and getting annoyed with hundreds of away fans in the west terrace when "big" teams turned up.

Last edited:

superskyblue

97-98 when Dublin was top scorer
99-00 with Hadji and Keane
Last season

I'm also really enjoying this season. Feels great to be playing some big clubs again. It's been too long.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

As amazing as the two promotion seasons have been, there was something about the Mowbray season that sticks above it for me. I know it ended in misery and shit but for about four months I turned up knowing we could easily win 4 or 5-0. It was great, the football was great and for the first time I could remember (born in 89) I actually had belief. Of course it fell of a cliff, but I’d not had that feeling before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covcity4life

Robbie Keane season i think. Judy felt like we were a proper premier league team that people were worried about

Think someone pointed out a few years ago we didn't actually fibish very high but it was nice to have a talisman again

Dublin huckerby seasons great too

Other than league 2 season for finishing top 6 and winning at wembley

Fergusons_Beard

League 2 promotion and weirdly the Tony Mowbray season of 15/16. I know the latter fizzled out but it was the first time I ever really felt like we were in a promotion race which somehow sticks out more in the memory than the actual promotion seasons.

Edit: I think if we would've been allowed in to the games til the end then last season would've been special with promotion party atmospheres etc. Still feel a bit robbed of the full feeling.

Have to agree Harvey. That Mowbray team played some blinders (Gills at home a particular highlight) just seeing Armstrong look like Messi and a team attacking was enough for me!

Div 2 season just for the crack of visiting away grounds that were pokey and full of character.

Accrington Stanley away (Gorgeous sunshine) and Crewe away (Snow and blizzards) highlights for me.

Have to say the Ferguson/Wallace era Speedie years Dublin/Huckerby years and the 1 season with Robbie Keane come close.

1987 a highlight as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Loved having Dublin, Huckerby and Whelan. Plus I was in my late teens so it was just an enjoyable time for me in general anyway. Having it followed with the Keane year a bit later as well. Just wish we'd had a better defence than Shaw/Williams.

After that got to be last season, cup year and early 90's with Ndlovu etc as that was my first sort of 'proper' experience of going.

Moff

86-87 for me. Had been a season ticket holder as a kid from 80-81, but had gone to plenty of games prior to that but not enough to have really seen all the best of Yorath, Hutchison, Wallace and Ferguson.

I enjoyed the 86-87 season as it was the first for several years we played like a team, looked like a team, and didn't capitulate easily. The players played and looked like they cared .

It was also my first season, as a 16 year old that I started doing away games with mates. I didn't choose badly as particularly enjoyed away days at Old Trafford, Stoke, Sheff Weds, and Sheff Weds again in the Cup.

Forgetting the cup win, it was just a massive improvement of several years of mediocrity, and George and John made them an attractive attacking team, that we could be proud of.

Legia Sky Blue

77-78 for me. We scored 75 league goals in the top division and were so entertaining to watch, with a team brimming with true City 'legends'.

I would give an honourable mention to last season though. By the time the season was curtailed I was watching games expecting us to win, and I just didn't see another defeat coming. That feeling of invincibility was something I had never experienced before, as even our good seasons had been laced with plenty of defeats and disappointments.

ovduk78

77-78 for me. We scored 75 league goals in the top division and were so entertaining to watch, with a team brimming with true City 'legends'.

I would give an honourable mention to last season though. By the time the season was curtailed I was watching games expecting us to win, and I just didn't see another defeat coming. That feeling of invincibility was something I had never experienced before, as even our good seasons had been laced with plenty of defeats and disappointments.
I think you've just typed my answer!!!

77/78 was the first full season I started going home & away. Although I only went to 2 games last season, strangely the first & last, even if we went behind I still was fairly confident we would get back into it (obvious exception of Rotherham away). The difference between the 2 performances I saw were massive & by the end the team were playing with so much confidence that I thought we wouldn't lose another game.

Joy Division

97/98 was the first season I remember us being actually half decent

League 2 promotion season will probably be one that lives with me for the longest, never thought so at the time but looking back we went though every emotion. FGR at home, losing to Yeovil 6-2 despair. Then Notts County away and Wembley. Some great away days that year but probably the first time I felt a real connection between the fans and players.

Users who are viewing this thread