What was the WASPS crowd today (4 Viewers)

Steve.B50

It was the LV cup, teams made up of fringe players. All the UK Internationals did lot play as the 6 nations starts next week.

lordsummerisle

Possibly, today was supposedly the last of the free tickets though. (at least the bunch that was announced after they first moved here)

Weren't there free tickets dished out for this game if you bought one for the Cup game last week?

stupot07

The club is a joke. There are more than rugby fans taking the piss out of us. We deserve it.

Wait until we're playing in a stadium with black and yellow seats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
Lol, the free ticket dish out has dried up so the attendance is down 16000 , the typical cov and warwickshire way lol
There were still free tickets weren't there if they had bought them for the leinster game?

Grendel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

He will probably love it - a brilliant marketing move.

Nick

Administrator
Do rugby fans only go to big games then? Don't they support their team through thick and thin and no matter who they play?

I went past the bull and anchor and there were loads of spaces in the car park.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Do rugby fans only go to big games then? Don't they support their team through thick and thin and no matter who they play?

No, same as football fans.

It's probably more of a Coventry public thing rather than football vs rugby tbh.

SBchimp

9 1/2 K for the rugby version of the JPT. 15 reserves fielded and loads of points score seems ok to me.
Wasps are not the problem here they conduct themselves professionally at all times. If they were our tenants I don't think there would be half the bad feeling.
CCFC (sisu) could have bought the Ricoh years ago, instead they tried to steal it from the Coventry public in the same way they stole the club in the first place. Don't blame wasps, if they were to make an offer to buy CCFC I think everyone would be delighted. PUSB COYW #coventryteams

covboy1987

It was 9.6k, I think its basically a nothing competition where the top teams play reserves. Todays game was still one of the freebies game, where they gave approx. 3k tickets to schools and local rugby clubs.

Excellent crowd for a type of game like the league cup where a lot of the first team are rested and the squad are tried out -

italiahorse

Its a cup game though by all accounts , so probably be higher next league game in all fairness

It's the reserve side playing in a tin pot trophy.
People should concentrate on our decline than hoping for Wasps to fail.
They still looked after the fans with a great duo even performing in the east stand bar area.

shy_tall_knight

No, same as football fans.

It's probably more of a Coventry public thing rather than football vs rugby tbh.

Disagree football fans have loyalty attached to the club first, the sport second, from what I am observing with rugby its the sport first, their club allegiance is less. The Ricoh with less than 15,000 is poor regardless of the sport.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Disagree football fans have loyalty attached to the club first, the sport second, from what I am observing with rugby its the sport first, their club allegiance is less. The Ricoh with less than 15,000 is poor regardless of the sport.

Not on about loyalty, just general apathy/fickleness. Most of the fans only turn up for the big occasion/big game regardless of sport.

Calista

My only reason for posting is that all this anger/guilt/gloating about Wasps and their supporters is against the interests of CCFC.

Sports clubs should not move, because of the damage to supporters. If it’s suggested the Sky Blues should move to Nuneaton I will fight it tooth and nail. Therefore I should be wailing and gnashing my teeth about Wasps being in Coventry, right?

Wasps created a no-win situation in 2002 when they moved to an unsustainable venue in High Wycombe, creating a UNIQUE SITUATION that nobody can fix just by lazily shouting “franchise”. They had ALREADY abandoned their original roots, and put down different ones – more than 80% of their season ticket holders were local to Wycombe/Bucks.

- There was a general acceptance that they had to move again
- There were arguments for years about where to go. Wycombe people wanted to keep them, some London people wanted them back (12 years after the event).
- Nobody could come up with a viable site anyway.
- An opportunity arose in Coventry because in 7 years of renting the Ricoh, the football club hadn’t put in a credible bid to buy it.
- No protests were staged, and a petition pretty much flopped.

The Guardian report for Wasps’ last game in Wycombe (WASPS SUPPORTERS ACCEPT MOVE TO COVENTRY WITHOUT ADAMS PARK PROTEST) said “There also seemed to be a collective acceptance there are no financially viable alternatives to Wasps’ impending switch to the Ricoh Arena”. So you can be an anti-capitalist warrior like Grendel and say that it’s “morally abhorrent” to attend Wasps games, but exactly whose battle are you fighting? An amazing amount of people from Bucks and London seem to love the move. That surprises me to be honest, but if that’s what they want, why patronise them by telling them they should want something else?

If Coventry City Council had turned down the chance of bringing them to the city on some sort of “anti-franchising” stance, they’d have been rightly accused by the ratepayers of pointless dogma.

I see no merit in knocking Wasps or their supporters, old or new. Looked at in a sensible way, their arrival is an opportunity to join forces with a prestigious club - what we need is for someone to pay for a place back at the top table for CCFC. And to stop worrying about extra lines on the pitch.

Very much looking forward to being called a hypocrite again :)

stupot07

My only reason for posting is that all this anger/guilt/gloating about Wasps and their supporters is against the interests of CCFC.

Sports clubs should not move, because of the damage to supporters. If it’s suggested the Sky Blues should move to Nuneaton I will fight it tooth and nail. Therefore I should be wailing and gnashing my teeth about Wasps being in Coventry, right?

Wasps created a no-win situation in 2002 when they moved to an unsustainable venue in High Wycombe, creating a UNIQUE SITUATION that nobody can fix just by lazily shouting “franchise”. They had ALREADY abandoned their original roots, and put down different ones – more than 80% of their season ticket holders were local to Wycombe/Bucks.

- There were arguments for years about where to go. Wycombe people wanted to keep them, some London people wanted them back (12 years after the event).
- An opportunity arose in Coventry because in 7 years of renting the Ricoh, the football club hadn’t put in a credible bid to buy it.

The Guardian report for Wasps’ last game in Wycombe (WASPS SUPPORTERS ACCEPT MOVE TO COVENTRY WITHOUT ADAMS PARK PROTEST) said “There also seemed to be a collective acceptance there are no financially viable alternatives to Wasps’ impending switch to the Ricoh Arena”. So you can be an anti-capitalist warrior like Grendel and say that it’s “morally abhorrent” to attend Wasps games, but exactly whose battle are you fighting? An amazing amount of people from Bucks and London seem to love the move. That surprises me to be honest, but if that’s what they want, why patronise them by telling them they should want something else?

If Coventry City Council had turned down the chance of bringing them to the city on some sort of “anti-franchising” stance, they’d have been rightly accused by the ratepayers of pointless dogma.

I see no merit in knocking Wasps or their supporters, old or new. Looked at in a sensible way, their arrival is an opportunity to join forces with a prestigious club - what we need is for someone to pay for a place back at the top table for CCFC. And to stop worrying about extra lines on the pitch.

All well and good, but how is anger/guilt/gloating against the interests of ccfc?

The way I see it, most of the gloating comes from those that have attended and like to tell us how much better wasps are than us.

Norman Binns

How refreshing to read to read an honest impartial viewpoint free from all the emotion driven garbage written on this forum.

Otis

Your grounds too big for you, your grounds too big for you

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh

The more Wasps struggle the more they need us. I don't wish to see them lose every game but the more they need us the more likelihood of our staying perhaps.

The worst scenario for us is Wasps doing mighily fine without us and no prospect of us building anything anywhere else.

stupot07

The more Wasps struggle the more they need us. I don't wish to see them lose every game but the more they need us the more likelihood of our staying perhaps.

The worst scenario for us is Wasps doing mighily fine without us and no prospect of us building anything anywhere else.

Exactly, which is why the bandwagon jumping filling wasps coffers, giving them an inflated fan base is detrimental to ccfc.

In fact in terms of supporter base, it's in wasps interests for us to struggle, for fans to turn away, where they will be waiting with open arms for them.

Otis

Exactly, which is why the bandwagon jumping filling wasps coffers, giving them an inflated fan base is detrimental to ccfc.

In fact in terms of supporter base, it's in wasps interests for us to struggle, for fans to turn away, where they will be waiting with open arms for them.

As a City fan I would urge all fellow City supporters to not go and up and watch Wasps. Leave that to genuine Wasps fans and those who want to go and watch the occasional game of rugger at a high level.

Doesn't sit comfortably with me if Coventry people adopt Wasps as their team and start becoming lifelong Wasps fans. In future generations I won't have the same problem. Kids will be growing up in an environment with Wasps already here and entrenched and to them Wasps will be a local club.

Don't want to see any Coventry people backing them now though. A one game to fulfil a curiosity and see what the fuss is about, I can accept, but an adoption as a club people now suddenly support just because of location just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

Ashdown

I haven't been to see Wasps and have no intention of doing so either as my loyalties are firmly with Cov City and Cov Rugby. I do however find it a bit pathetic that some folk have set their stall out to hate the franchise rugby team but cannot seem to be as highly critical of the vile, uncaring, negligent and club destroying bunch of shits that still hold the reins of our football club, those same people who are driving fans away at an alarming rate with their short term strategies for CCFC but long term hopes of still gaining compensation from ill advised court actions.

Covstu

I think Rugby is still a second rate sport in England compared to football so I doubt they will be stealing many potential CCFC young fans (just some), generally the likes of Man City, United and Chelsea will be doing that still. The likes of Wales its the other way around in respect to Rugby/Football split...

I know a few people who now attend Wasps games who are Rugby fans, shame they didn't attend Cov Rugby but again similar scenario to Man City landing on your doorstep I guess, people just follow successful teams.

italiahorse

What difference will it make ?
We will be at our new stadium which will not be having sky blue seats because it clashes with the shirts.
What are the chances they will be yellow or black?

stupot07

What difference will it make ?
We will be at our new stadium which will not be having sky blue seats because it clashes with the shirts.
What are the chances they will be yellow or black?

Oh, so we are building a stadium now....i thought it was BS.

No, we will still be at the Ricoh under a matchday only little/no access to additional revenues rental deal in 5-6 years time, playing in a stadium built specifically for us, owned and completely rebranded for wasps.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think Rugby is still a second rate sport in England compared to football so I doubt they will be stealing many potential CCFC young fans (just some), generally the likes of Man City, United and Chelsea will be doing that still. The likes of Wales its the other way around in respect to Rugby/Football split...

I know a few people who now attend Wasps games who are Rugby fans, shame they didn't attend Cov Rugby but again similar scenario to Man City landing on your doorstep I guess, people just follow successful teams.

Right on the second rate bit but I would have put worldwide the only places where that sport is more popular is Australia and New Zealand and Wales three places full of rather strange people.

italiahorse

All well and good, but how is anger/guilt/gloating against the interests of ccfc?

The way I see it, most of the gloating comes from those that have attended and like to tell us how much better wasps are than us.

I think it's more pointing out that Wasps are doing what CCFC should have done years ago.

Calista

Fair points Otis & Stupot - Wasps will never be more important than CCFC for me (my interest in rugby is marginal and I’ve never attended any rugby match).

I guess you are saying that if Wasps were “too” successful, it might make them more likely to squeeze us out altogether. But I don’t really see it like that. I’m thinking more that their guarantee of some high-attendance games every year, and the backing they have from people like JLR, will raise the general profile and viability of the Ricoh. We should be looking for a slice of the pie, which will be a hugely bigger pie than any new stadium is likely to serve up.

I think in the back of my mind is that ultimately, whether it’s next year or the next decade, the three entities (stadium + two clubs) will end up joining forces in some way. Under one new owner might be nice! To me, that could be a powerful mix and I wouldn’t want a yah-boo reaction against Wasps to get in the way of that at our expense.

italiahorse

Oh, so we are building a stadium now....i thought it was BS.

No, we will still be at the Ricoh under a matchday only little/no access to additional revenues rental deal in 5-6 years time, playing in a stadium built specifically for us, owned and completely rebranded for wasps.

If CCFC don't outlive there welcome by continuous battles with CCC and Wasps.

covmark

Fair points Otis & Stupot - Wasps will never be more important than CCFC for me (my interest in rugby is marginal and I’ve never attended any rugby match).

I guess you are saying that if Wasps were “too” successful, it might make them more likely to squeeze us out altogether. But I don’t really see it like that. I’m thinking more that their guarantee of some high-attendance games every year, and the backing they have from people like JLR, will raise the general profile and viability of the Ricoh. We should be looking for a slice of the pie, which will be a hugely bigger pie than any new stadium is likely to serve up.

I think in the back of my mind is that ultimately, whether it’s next year or the next decade, the three entities (stadium + two clubs) will end up joining forces in some way. Under one new owner might be nice! To me, that could be a powerful mix and I wouldn’t want a yah-boo reaction against Wasps to get in the way of that at our expense.
How big a slice of the pie do you think Wasps will give us?

Nick

Administrator
How big a slice of the pie do you think Wasps will give us?

People keep going on about CCFC buying into the Ricoh now, are there rumours going round Wasps want to sell or is it the same myth as the consortiums?

Users who are viewing this thread