What needs to be done now (1 Viewer)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
This is assuming SISU aren't going to budge and what should ideally be done.

1. If they are persistent on breaking even, they should get rid of Fisher and get somebody in who will be able to relate to the fans. They can still do break even and who knows, with all of the great communication, PR and relationships built it may increase sponsorship, season ticket sales etc and mean that revenues go up as well as breaking even. Surely a win / win for SISU.

2. Start planning for league 2, I'd pretty much clear out all of the first team backroom staff but not the u23 coaches etc. Fitness people, goalkeeper coaches, striker coaches etc get rid of them all and and have a clean slate. I'd pretty much let players go now who aren't going to get a look in and start to blood players like Harries, Stevenson, G Thomas, Jones etc who are on long term contracts and can improve still and play week in / week out in league 2. If people like Reid are on big wages like alluded to then I'd tell them they can start to look for other clubs if they want now.

3. Start some decent offers and incentives for season tickets. If pricing can't be lowered too much because of losing money then at least make some decent incentives for people to get one. Make people feel more part of the club would be a good start. Accept we will be in League 2 so work out pricing now, if for some reason we make a miracle escape then honour the pricing. Don't give it the big one about League 2 on tour, just be up front about pricing and say "look, we need it to be these prices to cover costs etc".

4. Venus isn't needed, he can do one as well. What's the point of him?

5. Academy, start speaking with people like Warwick University about facilities there. Offer them some sort of link so their students doing physio, sports science can get experience working with our youth team etc. The only sticking point for cat 2 is going to be the full size internal pitch, so not 100% what can be done with that :(

Lot of that has to happen whether SISU are here or not. A lot of it will happen if SISU are still here because of the cost savings that will be necessary. But there will be little appetite from the fans for CCFC with SISU still here. Wembley is a bubble in the tar pit that we are in under SISU

This club does not move forward until there is a clear total irreversible break from SISU ownership and their appointees. Even then I think the club has to shrink further in order to build a base to recover from (I am not talking about going out of Football League - that would be a disaster as would liquidation then somehow starting again).

I do not believe anyone would buy the current set up therefore the only option it would seem is to hive off the "football side" of things in to a separate entity under new owners. That means taking the playing squad, the football creditors, the trade mark and sundry equipment in to a new entirely separate company that holds the league share. Net cost probably very little because football creditors will just about match the asset value of the few players retained at the end of this season. You will note certain assets will not be hived off - namely Ryton, that's the ransom payment to ARVO unfortunately. That leaves CCFC smaller and renting all facilities, it also puts at risk the cat 2 status of the Academy - can a L1 team with no security or assets really afford a £500k commitment to Cat 2 or will it have to accept Cat 3? No Academy is not an option not just because of the finance but because of the relationship of the club to the community which is or should extremely valuable

Such a scenario gives Seppala an element of recovery (pound of flesh for shylock) but breaks from the toxic relationships that CCFC have with just about everyone under SISU ownership. She can continue her legal actions, frankly I don't care so long as she is gone from CCFC - in any case I suspect she will get the same success in that expoit as she has to date

I agree Fisher and Venus must go along with Dearing.

The manager and back room playing staff have proven to retain the negativity of the recent history of CCFC, have in many respects proven incapable (even allowing for the financial shackles )and a complete change is necessary. Slade is not the man for the job. Key management on the business/commercial side have proven not up to the task and I believe part of the relationship problems the club have, we need better than that to survive.

Absolutely we must start planning the team around a L2 future and start that now. Those players we are keeping need to be playing to develop the physicality for the battles ahead next season. We have to accept the loan agreements might give expectation to play. The new manager will need to firmly draw a line under 2016/17 and make the players enjoy matches again, plus bring in some serious physicality for L1 & L2. No one remembers the pretty football they remember success and recruitment needs to start asap - everyone knows we need strength at the back and in midfield (including a niggly sort of CM who bosses games) the option of a mobile big man up front and an experienced dominating goal keeper, why cant the professionals see it.

No point doing the season tickets etc early until there is a clean break from SISU ownership. Obviously they need to try sell some but the price isn't the deciding factor, ownership, commitment, the plan forward are

The Academy I think as a Cat 2 is history, but the important thing about the Academy is not the odd star that is developed but the link to community and the strength that provides. The spending limits are a minimum so we might have to accept the best Cat 3 in the land by spending a little more than necessary, making it attractive, other clubs manage to survive without Cat 2. A more permanent solution including own site should be a mid term aim.

First team training I would think will be on rented sites (perhaps Ryton for a while) perhaps in partnership with other teams/clubs. Again a mid term target is owned facilities ideally tying in with the Academy. Remains to be seen if the Ricoh remains a solution to playing matches, hard to think it would be long term in L2 unless crowds return (which with a little success on the pitch they might). We are still left with perhaps two choices Ricoh or BPA - its a matter of size really.

Forget all the "we are a big team" rhetoric we have no choice but to be brutally honest, realistic, pragmatic and practical given the state CCFC has come to. We do not have many cards to play with and precious little goodwill from anyone under these owners. SISU gone is an opportunity to start again be it smaller at least we will be free from them. The starting point is not about trying to repair damage still under their ownership - it simply wont work. The starting point comes when free of them. That new start is not going to suddenly change things it will take years to recover on and off the pitch - it will require a plan, communication, faith, luck and holding of nerve. Knee jerk decision will not help we need stability

Has to be a new start away from SISU. I think that's achievable

Last edited:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
breakeven isn't the problem ....... where that point is and what the money is spent on is

Everyone focusses on driving costs down to breakeven but you don't have to set breakeven that way. You could set it higher and drive the business on. Its a different mind set.

We are stuck in a negative mind set and driving down not up. In a sense it is self fulfilling, we get smaller and less important by the day. Breakeven requires a positive inclusive attitude especially with the fans and third party decision makers.............. sadly totally lacking under SISU/TF....... then the finances of breakeven could work.

Reality is it is the only option for CCFC to be viable & secure, it is how it is implemented that's the problem

Ashdown

You can make long winded elaborate points but if SISU are here it means only one thing, they are still holding out for some return and to achieve that all they will do is lie through their teeth about everything. No one can possibly trust anything they say so all but those who just can't break the habit will walk away. Too many lies now, it's SISU OUT or nothing for me and thousands of others !

NortonSkyBlue

Lot of that has to happen whether SISU are here or not. A lot of it will happen if SISU are still here because of the cost savings that will be necessary. But there will be little appetite from the fans for CCFC with SISU still here. Wembley is a bubble in the tar pit that we are in under SISU

This club does not move forward until there is a clear irreversible break from SISU ownership. Even then I think the club has to shrink further in order to build a base to recover from (I am not talking about going out of Football League - that would be a disaster as would liquidation then somehow starting again).

I do not believe anyone would buy the current set up therefore the only option it would seem is to hive off the "football side" of things in to a separate entity under new owners. That means taking the playing squad, the football creditors, the trade mark and sundry equipment in to a new entirely separate company that holds the league share. Net cost probably very little because football creditors will just about match the asset value of the few players retained at the end of this season. You will note certain assets will not be hived off - namely Ryton, that's the ransom payment to ARVO unfortunately. That leaves CCFC smaller and renting all facilities, it also puts at risk the cat 2 status of the Academy - can a L1 team with no security or assets really afford a £500k commitment to Cat 2 or will it have to accept Cat 3? No Academy is not an option not just because of the finance but because of the relationship of the club to the community which is or should extremely valuable

Such a scenario gives Seppala an element of recovery (pound of flesh for shylock) but breaks from the toxic relationships that CCFC have with just about everyone under SISU ownership. She can continue her legal actions, frankly I don't care so long as she is gone from CCFC - in any case I suspect she will get the same success in that expoit as she has to date

I agree Fisher and Venus must go along with Dearing.

The manager and back room playing staff have proven to retain the negativity of the recent history of CCFC, have in many respects proven incapable (even allowing for the financial shackles )and a complete change is necessary. Slade is not the man for the job. Key management on the business/commercial side have proven not up to the task and I believe part of the relationship problems the club have, we need better than that to survive.

Absolutely we must start planning the team around a L2 future and start that now. Those players we are keeping need to be playing to develop the physicality for the battles ahead next season. We have to accept the loan agreements might give expectation to play. The new manager will need to firmly draw a line under 2016/17 and make the players enjoy matches again, plus bring in some serious physicality for L1 & L2. No one remembers the pretty football they remember success and recruitment needs to start asap - everyone knows we need strength at the back and in midfield (including a niggly sort of CM who bosses games) the option of a mobile big man up front and an experienced dominating goal keeper, why cant the professionals see it.

No point doing the season tickets etc early until there is a clean break from SISU ownership. Obviously they need to try sell some but the price isn't the deciding factor, ownership, commitment, the plan forward are

The Academy I think as a Cat 2 is history, but the important thing about the Academy is not the odd star that is developed but the link to community and the strength that provides. The spending limits are a minimum so we might have to accept the best Cat 3 in the land by spending a little more than necessary, making it attractive, other clubs manage to survive without Cat 2. A more permanent solution including own site should be a mid term aim.

First team training I would think will be on rented sites (perhaps Ryton for a while) perhaps in partnership with other teams/clubs. Remains to be seen if the Ricoh remains a solution to playing matches, hard to think it would be long term in L2 unless crowds return (which with a little success on the pitch they might). We are still left with perhaps two choices Ricoh or BPA - its a matter of size really.

Forget all the "we are a big team" rhetoric we have no choice but to be brutally realistic, pragmatic and practical given the state CCFC has come to. We do not have many cards to play with and precious little goodwill from anyone under these owners. SISU gone is an opportunity to start again be it smaller at least we will be free from them. The starting point is not about trying to repair damage still under their ownership - it simply wont work. The starting point comes when free of them

Has to be a new start away from SISU. I think that's achievable and closer than we think

I hope you have some information regarding the future of the owners? With SISU at the helm the future is bleak but so predictable, without them we can rebuild our club, it will require the goodwill of many who have given up on the club, both stakeholders, partners and fans in general.
My concern is that the issues are so vast and deep that it will be a very long process to get the club back as a competitive force but it can be done.
Wembley ticket sales show that success in any form will reignite a flame and get fans on side but each week more and more fans are disconnecting with the club and it is going to be hard sell getting them to put CCFC back in their lives.
I am going to put this out there; not many of us are prepared to do enough to ensure that the club survives. We need people who are prepared to go to the edge of the cliff, yes people like Gary Hoffman, a true supporter, who risked ridicule to get us out of the grasping hands of SISU and damaged his reputation in the process. Oh I would love this club to be in the hands of someone that cares.
Coventry City needs to be rebuilt, re-branded and re-energised. We all want to be proud of its achievements, its future prospects and its status in the game. Sadly it has become a laughing stock, an object of pity and total indifference.
Many of the ideas on this thread are positive and achievable but how many really believe that with our owners things will get better?
Come on Oldskyblue58 tell us its on the horizon!

Otis

1) Cancel season ticket
2) Delete Skybluestalk account
3) Enjoy life
Have to confess, I did feel better about myself when we were at Sixfields.

At first I was mortified, annoyed, angry and depressed about it all.

But when I started not even following the results, or knowing when and who we were playing and did other things instead at the weekends, life became a lot easier.

Tis true that while we are still going up and still posting on here we are still wallowing in the despair.

covcity4life

st holder at work didnt even know we played last night. and i dont blame him. its lessens the pain if you distance yourself.

Joy Division

I too didn't realise we played last night until I logged on here, fucking bizarre situation.

And to think between 2001-2010 I did nearly every home and away game.

Ashdown

Have to confess, I did feel better about myself when we were at Sixfields.

At first I was mortified, annoyed, angry and depressed about it all.

But when I started not even following the results, or knowing when and who we were playing and did other things instead at the weekends, life became a lot easier.

Tis true that while we are still going up and still posting on here we are still wallowing in the despair.
Can't argue with that. It's like an illness though that I can't shake off. I've stopped going to matches now because of the hopelessness, but every day check the news here and other places to see if there is any light at the end of the tunnel. When you have given so much time, money and emotion to a football club over a 40 year period you can't let go !

skybluetony176

It doesn't matter what SISU do now they 've crossed too many lines and the only thing that the club can do under their guidance is die. If you haven't already woken up to that reality it's time too.

Getting rid of Fisher, getting rid of the manager, getting rid of Oggy, better communication or whatever ain't going to change the direction they've taken us so it's pointless even discussing it. There's only one way forward and it starts with their exit.

blueflint

well most of these posts actually agree with each other thats strange for city fans.
now lets all get our acts together to rid the city of SISU and Fisher

blueflint

1. If they are persistent on breaking even, they should get rid of Fisher and get somebody in who will be able to relate to the fans. They can still do break even and who knows, with all of the great communication, PR and relationships built it may increase sponsorship, season ticket sales etc and mean that revenues go up as well as breaking even. Surely a win / win for SISU.

2. Start planning for league 2, I'd pretty much clear out all of the first team backroom staff but not the u23 coaches etc. Fitness people, goalkeeper coaches, striker coaches etc get rid of them all and and have a clean slate. I'd pretty much let players go now who aren't going to get a look in and start to blood players like Harries, Stevenson, G Thomas, Jones etc who are on long term contracts and can improve still and play week in / week out in league 2. If people like Reid are on big wages like alluded to then I'd tell them they can start to look for other clubs if they want now.

3. Start some decent offers and incentives for season tickets. If pricing can't be lowered too much because of losing money then at least make some decent incentives for people to get one. Make people feel more part of the club would be a good start. Accept we will be in League 2 so work out pricing now, if for some reason we make a miracle escape then honour the pricing. Don't give it the big one about League 2 on tour, just be up front about pricing and say "look, we need it to be these prices to cover costs etc".

5. Academy, start speaking with people like Warwick University about facilities there. Offer them some sort of link so their students doing physio, sports science can get experience working with our youth team etc. The only sticking point for cat 2 is going to be the full size internal pitch, so not 100% what can be done with that :(

Everything needs to be cleared and a fresh start, even down to radio presenters and phone in shows with presenters. Of course they aren't to blame for us being shit but it's all stagnant isn't it? Get somebody young in there like somebody off the podcast to do phone ins.

Importantly they need to make fans feel involved with the club, yes I don't agree with people who have done pitch invasions and some extreme politics so I would try and explain about break even and break things down with a bit more transparency. If people think they need to run on the pitch and stop games I'd say "First off, I know you are pissed off but thats not on. Come down to Ryton one lunchtime, there will be some tea and biscuits and cards will be on the table, there is not much more I can do"

It's exactly how fans would run the club if we were fan owned, it's just they would have better communication.

If the takeover rumours and mumors are true then I'd guess that would be done anyway if they have any sense!

Just some random ramblings, much more though could be done (That's IF SISU decide they are staying, as the obvious one would be to just get new owners)

I'm shocked nearly agree with you nick I just don't think you have gone far enough SISU and Fisher must go one isn't enough

wingy

Agree. Until they realise Fisher is a waste of skin when it comes to running a business we have no chance. It's no good bragging we used to lose x amount now we are in profit. Anyone can cut expenses. It is turning a loss intro profit and making progress with the club moving forward that would show good business.

Fisher has let a reasonable house become a dilapidated one under his management. There is nothing positive about the man. He needs to go, sooner than Slade in my book. Slade should never have been appointed, but that's another example of why Fisher is useless. He is actually accountable every time a manager fails, especially when the pattern of failure is repeated. Either the selection process is wrong or the environment is wrong. Both are his responsibility.
And thats why the fans forum will leave most of us in despair.
Just more Of 'His',vision. :-( :mad:

ecky

Everything needs to be cleared and a fresh start, even down to radio presenters and phone in shows with presenters. Of course they aren't to blame for us being shit but it's all stagnant isn't it? Get somebody young in there like somebody off the podcast to do phone ins.

Importantly they need to make fans feel involved with the club, yes I don't agree with people who have done pitch invasions and some extreme politics so I would try and explain about break even and break things down with a bit more transparency. If people think they need to run on the pitch and stop games I'd say "First off, I know you are pissed off but thats not on. Come down to Ryton one lunchtime, there will be some tea and biscuits and cards will be on the table, there is not much more I can do"

It's exactly how fans would run the club if we were fan owned, it's just they would have better communication.

If the takeover rumours and mumors are true then I'd guess that would be done anyway if they have any sense!

Just some random ramblings, much more though could be done (That's IF SISU decide they are staying, as the obvious one would be to just get new owners)
Good points Nick
But I would do all that only with new owners
I think it's too late in the day now to trust Sisu with anything even if fisher goes
They are a death wish and have single handled destroyed the very fabric of the club

We want them gone and quick

Fergusons_Beard

Best post on here for a while-bravo Nick.

A positive response to the seemingly inevitable.

I too would like to say goodbye to the commentators, stale, no passion and just woeful. Often you have no idea who is attacking and they have the same passion for opponents.

I am up for the job btw ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread