What needs to be done now (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
This is assuming SISU aren't going to budge and what should ideally be done.

1. If they are persistent on breaking even, they should get rid of Fisher and get somebody in who will be able to relate to the fans. They can still do break even and who knows, with all of the great communication, PR and relationships built it may increase sponsorship, season ticket sales etc and mean that revenues go up as well as breaking even. Surely a win / win for SISU.

2. Start planning for league 2, I'd pretty much clear out all of the first team backroom staff but not the u23 coaches etc. Fitness people, goalkeeper coaches, striker coaches etc get rid of them all and and have a clean slate. I'd pretty much let players go now who aren't going to get a look in and start to blood players like Harries, Stevenson, G Thomas, Jones etc who are on long term contracts and can improve still and play week in / week out in league 2. If people like Reid are on big wages like alluded to then I'd tell them they can start to look for other clubs if they want now.

3. Start some decent offers and incentives for season tickets. If pricing can't be lowered too much because of losing money then at least make some decent incentives for people to get one. Make people feel more part of the club would be a good start. Accept we will be in League 2 so work out pricing now, if for some reason we make a miracle escape then honour the pricing. Don't give it the big one about League 2 on tour, just be up front about pricing and say "look, we need it to be these prices to cover costs etc".

4. Venus isn't needed, he can do one as well. What's the point of him?

5. Academy, start speaking with people like Warwick University about facilities there. Offer them some sort of link so their students doing physio, sports science can get experience working with our youth team etc. The only sticking point for cat 2 is going to be the full size internal pitch, so not 100% what can be done with that :(

Everything needs to be cleared and a fresh start, even down to radio presenters and phone in shows with presenters. Of course they aren't to blame for us being shit but it's all stagnant isn't it? Get somebody young in there like somebody off the podcast to do phone ins.

Importantly they need to make fans feel involved with the club, yes I don't agree with people who have done pitch invasions and some extreme politics so I would try and explain about break even and break things down with a bit more transparency. If people think they need to run on the pitch and stop games I'd say "First off, I know you are pissed off but thats not on. Come down to Ryton one lunchtime, there will be some tea and biscuits and cards will be on the table, there is not much more I can do"

It's exactly how fans would run the club if we were fan owned, it's just they would have better communication.

If the takeover rumours and mumors are true then I'd guess that would be done anyway if they have any sense!

Just some random ramblings, much more though could be done (That's IF SISU decide they are staying, as the obvious one would be to just get new owners)

NorthernWisdom

1) Have a plan
2) Communicate said plan
3) Grovel to fans
Hmm tbf they've done two out of three.

The plan'sbreak even whatever happens and whatever xpense of league form, and Fisher's been pretty blunt in communicating it.

Perhaps a plan that has a fighting chance of being vaguely popular or, at the last, accepted would be better ;)

CovBurty

Interesting view. If Sisu stay I would suggest the kids that teams were interested in January will be sold. We can't count on Willis, Harries, Haynes and Stevenson being around on kick off day. Unless we bring in some quality ( for div2 ), whoever comes into the new arrangement will continue to struggle. I can't see season tickets selling very well, so budget will be cut. New heads will still be handicapped by idiots Sisu. So the downwards spiral continues and we all know the Sisu blueprint for successful running of a football club.

I think the only way this club can have any chance of a turn of fortunes like you suggest is for the owners to leave it to someone who knows how to run a football club. Not bumbling idiots.
That needs to be done first. Then the new structure can succeed. Only then.

SKYBLUES90

With SISU in charge it really doesn't make any difference.

Nothing will change and we will slide into the oblivion and only be remembered as that team that Sutton United once beat back in 89

covcity4life

1. If they are persistent on breaking even, they should get rid of Fisher and get somebody in who will be able to relate to the fans. They can still do break even and who knows, with all of the great communication, PR and relationships built it may increase sponsorship, season ticket sales etc and mean that revenues go up as well as breaking even. Surely a win / win for SISU.

2. Start planning for league 2, I'd pretty much clear out all of the first team backroom staff but not the u23 coaches etc. Fitness people, goalkeeper coaches, striker coaches etc get rid of them all and and have a clean slate. I'd pretty much let players go now who aren't going to get a look in and start to blood players like Harries, Stevenson, G Thomas, Jones etc who are on long term contracts and can improve still and play week in / week out in league 2. If people like Reid are on big wages like alluded to then I'd tell them they can start to look for other clubs if they want now.

3. Start some decent offers and incentives for season tickets. If pricing can't be lowered too much because of losing money then at least make some decent incentives for people to get one. Make people feel more part of the club would be a good start. Accept we will be in League 2 so work out pricing now, if for some reason we make a miracle escape then honour the pricing. Don't give it the big one about League 2 on tour, just be up front about pricing and say "look, we need it to be these prices to cover costs etc".

5. Academy, start speaking with people like Warwick University about facilities there. Offer them some sort of link so their students doing physio, sports science can get experience working with our youth team etc. The only sticking point for cat 2 is going to be the full size internal pitch, so not 100% what can be done with that :(

Everything needs to be cleared and a fresh start, even down to radio presenters and phone in shows with presenters. Of course they aren't to blame for us being shit but it's all stagnant isn't it? Get somebody young in there like somebody off the podcast to do phone ins.

Importantly they need to make fans feel involved with the club, yes I don't agree with people who have done pitch invasions and some extreme politics so I would try and explain about break even and break things down with a bit more transparency. If people think they need to run on the pitch and stop games I'd say "First off, I know you are pissed off but thats not on. Come down to Ryton one lunchtime, there will be some tea and biscuits and cards will be on the table, there is not much more I can do"

It's exactly how fans would run the club if we were fan owned, it's just they would have better communication.

If the takeover rumours and mumors are true then I'd guess that would be done anyway if they have any sense!

Just some random ramblings, much more though could be done (That's IF SISU decide they are staying, as the obvious one would be to just get new owners)

If owners did just some of those things it would be nice.

vow

With SISU in charge it really doesn't make any difference.

Nothing will change and we will slide into the oblivion and only be remembered as that team that Sutton United once beat back in 89
Not even that, since Burnley lost to Lincoln.

Stuchop

Totally agree even down to the radio - there is no critical challenge to managers as it all very straight down the line - someone one needs to ask difficult questions and hold players and manager to account - if they then choose not to answer said questions then we can read into it what we want.

dongonzalos

It's been said so many times.
The only way to genuinely breakeven now is increase revenue. The only way to do that is build relationships with fans, Wasps and the council.
SISU seem incapable of doing this.
So with SISU in charge give it a couple of years before we face exiting the league

Brighton Sky Blue

Thing is Nick this would require them to want success at some level. Their actions to date suggest they want to keep the club on life support for God knows what purpose and little else. In their 10 years in charge they have achieved 2 relegations, lost the ground for good, and halved attendances. When we sink to lower levels we think 'surely we can't go lower than this', before the downsizing continues and the club shrinks further and further. If SISU were intent on making a success of the footballing side of things, we wouldn't be bottom of the table in a terrible division.

I don't understand what their end game is, or if they've even got one.

Nick

Administrator
Thing is Nick this would require them to want success at some level. Their actions to date suggest they want to keep the club on life support for God knows what purpose and little else. In their 10 years in charge they have achieved 2 relegations, lost the ground for good, and halved attendances. When we sink to lower levels we think 'surely we can't go lower than this', before the downsizing continues and the club shrinks further and further. If SISU were intent on making a success of the footballing side of things, we wouldn't be bottom of the table in a terrible division.

I don't understand what their end game is, or if they've even got one.
They could still keep the club at arm's length doing it's own thing ticking over though.

Chipfat

The plan is they don't have one for the team or the green bit. They do have a plan for the vehicle that runs that part and it's to run it on its income no matter the of the league, size or status.

The club is being used as a bargaining chip around the table. Sadly every potential player thinks the game is to expensive to play for the pot on offer. Or they don't like playing cards with illusionist, liar's and cheats.

Sadly the viewers us, are left scratching our nuts hoping for the game to end without real chance of it happening.

Kingokings204

I really think Nick the only viable solution is new owners and that's all that can be done now. If as you thread suggests they stay then I'm afraid quite simply less fans will turn up by at least half which means the budget will have to be cut and the inevitable dropping out the football league will become a reality within 4 years. Even then I don't think we would return to the FL. All the mean time we have no where to play.

It's new owners or bust quite simply.

singers_pore

I reckon ticket revenues will halve next year. It's difficult to see how a fully professional team can be financed under those circumstances and still break even. Maybe we will start to have semi-pro players in preparation for non-league the following season. Anyway I'm sure Fisher has it all under control.

NortonSkyBlue

They could still keep the club at arm's length doing it's own thing ticking over though.
Nick, You are obviously a reasonable guy who would break bread with the devil to further the cause of Coventry City and I respect that but at what point do you accept that to get our club back on track things may have to get nasty?
I know it goes against your grain but nothing that our owners are doing is done to improve Coventry City Football Club, its a one sided relationship and it hurts, its degenerative and corrosive and I can understand why many throw in the towel.
You can suggest they engage with the fans but after almost 10 years we should know it is not in their DNA to do so, just like we should know that their capacity to build relationships is non existent with anyone.
Our owners have purposely depleted all goodwill and 6 tickets for the Wembley trip is not enough to erase the fact that they have brought this proud club to its knees and as Dongonzalos states above we are heading out of the league unless something changes.
Our local derby will be against the Boro, god forbid Bedworth and will look up at the likes of Sutton United hoping to do a giant killing on them!
Anybody who has even the faintest regard for our club can see that something needs to happen and although I do not advocate vandalism, violence or intimidation I can see that we are approaching the eye of the storm, totally unequipped for what may lie ahead.
This is not about the fluff, I don't give a shit who the radio guys are, it doesn't affect the product.
You say 'Come down to Ryton one lunchtime, there will be some tea and biscuits and cards will be on the table, there is not much more I can do" Sorry Nick, if the chairman of the club can't do anything then tell me please who the fuck can?
You say engage with Warwick University, well yes but we had an academy and our mantra to them was we don' t need you we will build our own. Guess what they didn't need us and we didn't build our own.
They said we don't need the Ricoh unless you give to us on our terms, if not we will build our own, we don't need you. Guess what they didn't need us and we didn't build our own.
In our city, in our ground, our owners allowed a Rugby club to become the premier sporting brand and win the hearts and minds of our citizens and many of our fans. For that alone our owners should have been run out of town but no the pussies prevailed, had our tummies tickled even when they moved us to Northampton.
Some talk about revenues, season ticket prices in league 2, some talk about match day exprience. How about talking about the very survival of Coventry City and how are you going to assist in the future? You know the one where the body is in the coffin and all are saying they have never looked better? Think Wembley April 2nd.
I would like to end by saying in the city where I live they cut off the hands of thieves, stone adulterers and behead murderers each and every Friday in the marketplace. Personally I can think off a few people who would be welcome to join that party but as I say I do not advocate vandalism, violence or intimidation
Just some random ramblings, much more though could be done though eh Nick?

ricohroar

In all the years I've been on this forum that is prob the first Nick post I agree with.

re no.5 Warwick uni have an full size indoor grass pitch, although they use it for indoor tennis at Westwood. I'm sure it could be used at set times by CCFC for the right £.

rondog1973

Decent OP Nick, precisely what should happen if our owners wish to actually see a rekindling of support and attendances increase. And fair play for acknowledging that neither council or Wasps are the key holders to the destiny of this football club (they were never mentioned once!).

Just can't see it happening though.....

mrtrench

1) Don't say a word about relegation.
2) Sell Harries, Stevenson, DKE...
3) Go on national radio and boast that we made a profit.

Hobo

You should work for SISU lol
Point 5 Warwick University doesn't have a physio course or sports sciences. I think it is Coventry University that has those?

shmmeee

Hmm tbf they've done two out of three.

The plan'sbreak even whatever happens and whatever xpense of league form, and Fisher's been pretty blunt in communicating it.

Perhaps a plan that has a fighting chance of being vaguely popular or, at the last, accepted would be better ;)

I can accept break even. That a financial plan in isolation though.

What's the football plan? How are we going to stop sliding down the leagues? Where are we going to play? Where are we going to train? Where will the academy be based? How are we going to get fans back?

Despite the fact I think they are all vile cunts, my actual main issue with Sisu is they have no clue how to run a football club, or any business. They are a hedge fund and their only thought is about finance. I've been in businesses like that as an employee and it's soul destroying. You don't give your all if you think the top people don't have your passion or in fact a clue about it.

covcity4life

Nick, You are obviously a reasonable guy who would break bread with the devil to further the cause of Coventry City and I respect that but at what point do you accept that to get our club back on track things may have to get nasty?
I know it goes against your grain but nothing that our owners are doing is done to improve Coventry City Football Club, its a one sided relationship and it hurts, its degenerative and corrosive and I can understand why many throw in the towel.
You can suggest they engage with the fans but after almost 10 years we should know it is not in their DNA to do so, just like we should know that their capacity to build relationships is non existent with anyone.
Our owners have purposely depleted all goodwill and 6 tickets for the Wembley trip is not enough to erase the fact that they have brought this proud club to its knees and as Dongonzalos states above we are heading out of the league unless something changes.
Our local derby will be against the Boro, god forbid Bedworth and will look up at the likes of Sutton United hoping to do a giant killing on them!
Anybody who has even the faintest regard for our club can see that something needs to happen and although I do not advocate vandalism, violence or intimidation I can see that we are approaching the eye of the storm, totally unequipped for what may lie ahead.
This is not about the fluff, I don't give a shit who the radio guys are, it doesn't affect the product.
You say 'Come down to Ryton one lunchtime, there will be some tea and biscuits and cards will be on the table, there is not much more I can do" Sorry Nick, if the chairman of the club can't do anything then tell me please who the fuck can?
You say engage with Warwick University, well yes but we had an academy and our mantra to them was we don' t need you we will build our own. Guess what they didn't need us and we didn't build our own.
They said we don't need the Ricoh unless you give to us on our terms, if not we will build our own, we don't need you. Guess what they didn't need us and we didn't build our own.
In our city, in our ground, our owners allowed a Rugby club to become the premier sporting brand and win the hearts and minds of our citizens and many of our fans. For that alone our owners should have been run out of town but no the pussies prevailed, had our tummies tickled even when they moved us to Northampton.
Some talk about revenues, season ticket prices in league 2, some talk about match day exprience. How about talking about the very survival of Coventry City and how are you going to assist in the future? You know the one where the body is in the coffin and all are saying they have never looked better? Think Wembley April 2nd.
I would like to end by saying in the city where I live they cut off the hands of thieves, stone adulterers and behead murderers each and every Friday in the marketplace. Personally I can think off a few people who would be welcome to join that party but as I say I do not advocate vandalism, violence or intimidation

Brilliant post

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Absolutely agree wholeheartedly with Nick's thoughts and ideas. If we were taken over by anyone in the summer (and I mean anyone) and they implemented even half of these ideas then I'd consider a new season ticket.
Nothing will change other than players in/out or Slade walking. The fundamentals will never change as Tim Fisher can balance the books by cuts, not by innovation.
The real fear now is relegation from the football league. What on earth reason is there for us to succeed when the foundations on which any club can prosper don't exist.?

Nick

Administrator

That's why I titled out what needs to be done not what will be done :)

Sky Blue Pete

Can you be CEO

Hobo

I can accept break even. That a financial plan in isolation though.

What's the football plan? How are we going to stop sliding down the leagues? Where are we going to play? Where are we going to train? Where will the academy be based? How are we going to get fans back?

Despite the fact I think they are all vile cunts, my actual main issue with Sisu is they have no clue how to run a football club, or any business. They are a hedge fund and their only thought is about finance. I've been in businesses like that as an employee and it's soul destroying. You don't give your all if you think the top people don't have your passion or in fact a clue about it.

Agree. Until they realise Fisher is a waste of skin when it comes to running a business we have no chance. It's no good bragging we used to lose x amount now we are in profit. Anyone can cut expenses. It is turning a loss intro profit and making progress with the club moving forward that would show good business.

Fisher has let a reasonable house become a dilapidated one under his management. There is nothing positive about the man. He needs to go, sooner than Slade in my book. Slade should never have been appointed, but that's another example of why Fisher is useless. He is actually accountable every time a manager fails, especially when the pattern of failure is repeated. Either the selection process is wrong or the environment is wrong. Both are his responsibility.

Seamus1

I think the chances of SISU just going are nil, same chances as anyone buying the club for what (or near) SISU want, so therefore what needs to happen is to somehow target being rid of Fisher, who basically nobody trusts. I think that if SISU still own the club, then the next best thing short of them selling it would be for an organisation with CCFC's best interests and success at heart to run the club.

Maybe the Sky Blue Trust could arrange a meeting with Seppala and somehow take over the running of the club, ousting that slimy turd.

If it were me, I would be organising weekly meetings in an evening with fans somewhere in the city centre (help boost local companies/economy). I would literally be spilling out how much ticket revenue was generated, and break it down in to how that is being spent on CCFC: how much for playing budget, how much to rent the Ricoh (try to talk to Wasps and distance CCFC from SISU...if Wasps still say no, then they could be made out to look like the bad guys and fans who go to Wasps and CCFC games might think again about Wasps), how much for the academy, how much for other staff, how much for travel arrangements...every last, minute detail. Maybe try to incentivise season ticket sales, or matchday ticket sales with offers outside of football and outside of sport. Tie in with other clubs carrying the city's name (ice hockey, rugby)

If fans can see that their money is going in to CCFC then some may come back. The budget for next season will be decided largely by what happens during summer (season) ticket sales, with no openness from those running the club, then hesitancy or refusal to purchase is understandable. If it were me, I would be saying "if you want a budget of £x million, we need x number of fans per game, and I will show you how your money is spent on CCFC. If you are still not satisfied that your money is going to CCFC by January, then by all means boycott"

These are just outlines of my ideas anyway.

standupforcity

Sack Slade today, and totally boycott all remaining home games. Won't happen of course, but I can't remember darker times at our club and if we don't act positively in some way, we will be down the drain and flushed away forever...

Users who are viewing this thread