What is going on with the Tory leadership contest? (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

Let’s be honest, that was shambolic. Probably justified Boris not turning up to the previous one. Too many people wanting to get heard, gove looking into the wrong camera, Hunt staring right through the correct one (scary !), Rory making a point of being overly honest.

Works with two or three people but not with more

The C4 debate was a gazillion times better. None of the candidates interrupted each other and questions actually got answered, to some degree. If Boris had a message to deliver he missed the boat.

W

westcountry_skyblue

My take on it was
Boris,Doesn’t say much not really leadership material tbh
Hunt,Came across as the best imo seems calm under scrutiny
Gove,Just put him and Corbyn in the ring that’s what he wants that’ll get the BBC viewing figures up,Just shouts over people.
Javid,Not PM material I’m afraid can’t get his point across easily.
Stewart,Horrible to say but he will just roll out Mays deal again does he not get it?

lifeskyblue

Emily Matlis lost control early and never recovered. The format of asking question via link was meaningless...Matlis might as well read the questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

You've missed the point, you have implied the reason he misses these debates is because he's picked on.
I don't think it is, I think it's because it shines a light on his many short comings.

Whether he's picked on or not isnt relevant to the point I'm making.
Surely if you have several individuals & shine your light on one in particular...that is akin to being 'picked on'? Don't know if that is happening but I think that is what SBG is trying to say. The best way to expose Boris is to not single him out,but let him spout - he will always put his big daft foot in it sooner or later

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

I think they continue voting knocking out last place until there’s two left. The only thing that can speed that up is someone dropping out otherwise 3 more rounds of votes.
I thpught they changed the threshold for the minimum number of votes required in each round? Making it possible that 1, 2, or 3 could fall in the next round as like in golf - they don't make the cut. Let's hope so to get it out of the way!

SkyblueBazza

I missed it as I was out... did Gove still look like he was off his tits?
Talking of looks. I see Rory Stewart - I always see some snake-oil salesman from some ageing western movie I saw as a youngster. Dunno what it was called or who the character was or who played the part...but every time I see Rory the image vivdly springs to mind lol

skybluetony176

I thpught they changed the threshold for the minimum number of votes required in each round? Making it possible that 1, 2, or 3 could fall in the next round as like in golf - they don't make the cut. Let's hope so to get it out of the way!

I think that was only the first two rounds. Don’t think they were expecting as many to get through as did.

dutchman

Then there's a nine-week summer recess so it'll be September before a new leader can take charge.

In the meantime May is still Prime Minister and can do everything in her power to thwart Brexit.

clint van damme

Surely if you have several individuals & shine your light on one in particular...that is akin to being 'picked on'? Don't know if that is happening but I think that is what SBG is trying to say. The best way to expose Boris is to not single him out,but let him spout - he will always put his big daft foot in it sooner or later

again, point missed.

eastwoodsdustman

Talking of looks. I see Rory Stewart - I always see some snake-oil salesman from some ageing western movie I saw as a youngster. Dunno what it was called or who the character was or who played the part...but every time I see Rory the image vivdly springs to mind lol

I just see Wallace and grommit when he speaks. I think he was really honest and spoke some sense except on brexit.

SkyblueBazza

again, point missed.
I think he is focusing on the people that really matter in the process at this stage. Tory MPs, & wider members ready for the next stage. He doesn't work for the TV company's or media & can get his message across to the vote-casters by other means.
The others have arguably fallen for a false promise...they aren't very likely to really spell things out on TV

Terry Gibson's perm

olderskyblue

What has happened to the world when Jeremy Hunt looks excellent PM material?!?

Agreed. Ask most in the health service about him and they refer to him the way Victoria Derbyshire did....

Ian1779

Will all the Lib Dems and centrist Dads ask for the last round to be done again?

CCFCSteve

Just been listening to LBC (radio station)....sad I know ! Had hunt on and now gove for an hour each, interviewed and callers questions. Far better way to understand what they’re about rather than a shouty, point scoring exercise. C4s programme might’ve been a better Q&A, however, neither gave any idea about what what the individuals stand for or their ideas in any detail.

To be fair, both have (surprisingly) come across pretty well.

Ps agree Westcountry. Poor form by Bbc but not overly surprising

Users who are viewing this thread