What is going on with the Tory leadership contest? (2 Viewers)

Ian1779

The funniest thing is watching the Guardian columnists and their love-in with Rory Stewart.. like he's suddenly found himself in the wrong party.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think it's more the unfamiliarity. Like Clegg-mania and Corbyn. Just hasn't been under enough scrutiny yet. Compared to the likes of Johnson, Gove, Hunt, Leadsom etc he seems to be a bit less hardcore so I guess it's choosing the best of bad options. Not that it matters as I doubt many Tory members take heed of what the Guardian says

skybluegod

Johnson becoming PM would be a new low for the country, it would be majorly embarrassing

As would Corbyn becoming PM- not exactly blessed on either side, I think Boris is the obvious choice as he the extreme opposite to Corbyn.

Both would be a shambles. God help us.

clint van damme

The funniest thing is watching the Guardian columnists and their love-in with Rory Stewart.. like he's suddenly found himself in the wrong party.

To be fair to him he has done proper jobs before and by all accounts has done a decent job as prisons minister.
Also winning the drugathon with his opium confession.
Highly unlikely he'll win but if we are to have a Tory government I'd make him foreign secretary. With his military and diplomatic work he has a much better grasp of what's going on in the middle East than most

Ian1779

To be fair to him he has done proper jobs before and by all accounts has done a decent job as prisons minister.
Also winning the drugathon with his opium confession.
Highly unlikely he'll win but if we are to have a Tory government I'd make him foreign secretary. With his military and diplomatic work he has a much better grasp of what's going on in the middle East than most

But you can’t take the Tory out of him.... which means underneath he’s another cruel fucker happy to serve the elite... he’s just packaged nicer.

Ian1779

As would Corbyn becoming PM- not exactly blessed on either side, I think Boris is the obvious choice as he the extreme opposite to Corbyn.

Both would be a shambles. God help us.

Have you read anything other than the Daily Mail this lifetime?

skybluegod

Which followed on nicely from the fact you stated Boris would be as bad as Corbyn... an equally shite conclusion to come to.

Please feel free to show where I said Boris would be as bad as Corbyn...

Clearly you don't even read... I said both would be a shambles. Didn't say which one would be better/worse. Just don't think that either would lead the country forward at least not meaningfully

Ian1779

Please feel free to show where I said Boris would be as bad as Corbyn...

Clearly you don't even read... I said both would be a shambles. Didn't say which one would be better/worse. Just don't think that either would lead the country forward at least not meaningfully

Well if me interpreting ‘as would...’ as something different to being as bad - then I’m clearly in the wrong.

skybluegod

Well if me interpreting ‘as would...’ as something different to being as bad - then I’m clearly in the wrong.

Yes you are. Saying someone would be a bad choice doesn't mean as bad. Otherwise I would have said 'Corbyn would be as bad'

Cov City Daytrader 87

But they never will... we all know the ‘media’ choice (sorry Murdoch choice) is either Johnson or Gove.

Murdoch right wing media, I'll agree on that, but not the left wing ones. They probably wouldn't care and just ridicule whoever is the leader of the Torys.

RegTheDonk

lol fell at the first hurdle.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Gove will pack it in and get behind Boris.

Grendel

Problem is if Johnson gets in the top two, the crazy-arsed members will vote for him.

Yes members never reflect the electorate which is why Mr Corbyn is still one of the most unpopular political leaders in political history

Grendel

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Part of me in hindsight is wishing that last time rather than be pleased Boris got shafted I wish he'd got it, cos at least now we'd have got it over and done with, like chicken pox as a child. He (or anybody else) wouldn't have got Brexit done and we could now be looking back on his failure rather than dreading his ascension and it'd be one down, sadly a fair few more to go.

It seems to me that the media is going for Boris on this one as there's so many almost open secrets about his past that the papers won't touch that would almost instantly kill off his entire political career let alone a PM bid. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Gove cocaine revelations weren't a revenge by Boris for him stabbing him in the back last time and a pre-emptive strike to keep the rat faced arse from trying anything similar this time.

But whether it's him, Gove or Hunt (who I see as the Mike Pence to Boris' Trump in that he's a bit more stable but arguably ideologically even more dangerous) we'll see the same ubercapitalism of helping the rich while demonising those on benefits etc. as work-shy rather than more often than not underpaid.

The best I'm hoping for it getting the popcorn out and watching the entire thing from behind the sofa as it comes crashing down as even more people will be out to discover the skeletons.

I reckon we'll see Boris get it and Hunt and Gove as Chancellor and Home Office. I think Rory would be good at the Foreign Office with his multilingual skills. Javid might get something like Defence for equality and similarly Leadsom might get education (because she's a mother apparently, although she never mentions it). I would however laugh like a fucking hyena if he threw Gove under the bus and made him Brexit secretary

When you look at situations like this and you remember Yes Minister and The Thick Of It you wonder is the reality actually even more bat-shit crazy than the fiction.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Just a thought. In between handing money out to the rich has Boris pledged to cancel runway 3? Not heard anything but presumably Boris I will lay down in front diggers Johnson will be able to do this as PM?

Grendel

He’s managed to avoid debates and answering questions so far, okay he has answered 6...he would be an unwise choice for them in the long term

He’s definitely going to be in the last 2 - I can’t see members opposing him

He won’t be long term - they just want someone who they think will deliver Brexit so Farage goes away and then thumps Corbyn in a GE after we have left

Marty

I'm sure I'll be shot down for this, but why doesn't everyone pay the same amount of tax anyway? If people have studied or work really hard to earn more money then why should they be taxed at higher levels?

clint van damme

I'm sure I'll be shot down for this, but why doesn't everyone pay the same amount of tax anyway? If people have studied or work really hard to earn more money then why should they be taxed at higher levels?

I agree, so Amazon, Vodafone etc pay 20 percent on everything over 11 grand, sounds good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread