What Books Are You Reading? (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

The Deficit Myth (must read for everybody)
The Steve Phelps two games from Wembley book about the 80/81 season

Sbarcher

Coming out next month. Paddy Kenny- The Gloves Are Off. Just read a review and sounds really good

Grendel

These threads never catch on but a few days ago Beatrice Clare Dunkel passed away at 59 from Motor Neurone Disease

She mainly wrote under the pseudonym of Mo Hayder

she wrote a series of crime novels with Jack Caffrey as the central character and explored deeply disturbing characteristics in some detail in particular with Birdman and the Treatment

Her stand alone novel the Devil of Nanging (Tokyo is an alternate title) is enthralling and disturbing in equal measure. Pig Island is also equally compelling and explores disability discrimination in a typically dark manner

She was an underrated exponent of the crime genre - a real talent who has had a fascinating life when you explore her previous exploits and is a real loss to crime thriller addicts like myself

clint van damme

These threads never catch on but a few days ago Beatrice Clare Dunkel passed away at 59 from Motor Neurone Disease

She mainly wrote under the pseudonym of Mo Hayder

she wrote a series of crime novels with Jack Caffrey as the central character and explored deeply disturbing characteristics in some detail in particular with Birdman and the Treatment

Her stand alone novel the Devil of Nanging (Tokyo is an alternate title) is enthralling and disturbing in equal measure. Pig Island is also equally compelling and explores disability discrimination in a typically dark manner

She was an underrated exponent of the crime genre - a real talent who has had a fascinating life when you explore her previous exploits and is a real loss to crime thriller addicts like myself

I wondered who she was when you put her in the death list thread. I didn't realise it was Mo Hayder.
Read a few of her books, the Treatment is a good book, though pretty disturbing.

Grendel

I wondered who she was when you put her in the death list thread. I didn't realise it was Mo Hayder.
Read a few of her books, the Treatment is a good book, though pretty disturbing.

Also was in are you being served when a teenager and with Benny Hill!

clint van damme

Also was in are you being served when a teenager and with Benny Hill!

I never knew that, I didn't know much about her but this thread has jogged my memory about her books, I've read Tokyo and one other Jack Caffrey book but i can't remember which one.

Grendel

I never knew that, I didn't know much about her but this thread has jogged my memory about her books, I've read Tokyo and one other Jack Caffrey book but i can't remember which one.

JAM See

Working my way through The Culture series by Iain M Banks.

Highly recommended.

Sbarcher

Cider With Roadies by Stuart Maconie. Very amusing and well written of his life through music.

Reactions: SBT

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Just finished reading Empireland which was quite interesting, very different focus on the history of the British Empire than any other book i've read before.

I've a bit of a request too, can anyone recommend decent biographies/autobiographies with a big focus on Coventry City? I know Grendel has mentioned Gordon Strachan's book quite a few times (i'm assuming it is 'My life in football'?). Anything from the 90s onwards i'd be particularly interested in but i'm mainly concerned by it being a decent read.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Got Bob Mortimers Autobiography as a Christmas present , really enjoyable so far

Flying Fokker

I'm currently reading Travellers in the Third Reich and finding it very interesting. It is basically telling the story of Hitler's rise through the accounts of eye-witnesses who happened to be in Germany during the 1920s and 30s. It's startling how many either sympathised with Nazism or didn't perceive the level of threat posed to the world by them.
Reading this now. To what extent was our society like theirs? Also their belief that they were a nation defeated through famine in WW1 rather than War.

JAM See

Ulysses (second time).
Fair play to you.

I've read the first 20 pages a number of times, but never got any further.

Reading it twice will be a Blooming great achievement.

ajsccfc

He's got whole WILTY chapters where he tells some real stories and a few lies. The worry is that he's not saved anything for the TV now

ccfctommy

A season with Verona by Tim Parks. I think it's been mentioned before on here. Bought it for 50p in the book shop in Gosford Street.

Basically the author follows the fortunes of Hellas Verona in the 2000/01 season as they strive to stay up in Serie A. He follows their lunatic (and sometimes racist) fans. It's very good.

Sick Boy

A season with Verona by Tim Parks. I think it's been mentioned before on here. Bought it for 50p in the book shop in Gosford Street.

Basically the author follows the fortunes of Hellas Verona in the 2000/01 season as they strive to stay up in Serie A. He follows their lunatic (and sometimes racist) fans. It's very good.
Ultra by Tobias Jones is a decent read as well and gives another perspective of the polarisation of politics in Italian football.
He follows Cosenza with their far-left set of Ultras from the south and goes a bit deeper into the ultras’ world.

Terry_dactyl

I’m reading ‘The Last Days of Detroit’. Unsurprisingly It’s about the decline of Detroit, and what it’s like now and what the future might hold.
Due to the car industry connection, I’ve always thought of Cov as being a bit like Detroit. I’m not sure it is…unless those packs of wild dogs are still roaming around Chapelfields etc?

fernandopartridge

I’m reading ‘The Last Days of Detroit’. Unsurprisingly It’s about the decline of Detroit, and what it’s like now and what the future might hold.
Due to the car industry connection, I’ve always thought of Cov as being a bit like Detroit. I’m not sure it is…unless those packs of wild dogs are still roaming around Chapelfields etc?
I might have read that, I read a few books years ago about the rust belt, crack epidemic etc. Why any country strives to be like the USA God only knows.

stupot07

Finished Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall just before Christmas, which was really interesting. Has a few books for Christmas and have started reading one of them, True Crime Story by Jonathan Knox, i'm a 1/4 away through and its very good so far.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

I've got a similar sized list that I keep meaning to get cracking with and eventually will (I tell myself). I'm not counting the hordes of kindle books loaded up and yet to be started also because that's a number I really don't want to find out at this point

stupot07

I've got a similar sized list that I keep meaning to get cracking with and eventually will (I tell myself). I'm not counting the hordes of kindle books loaded up and yet to be started also because that's a number I really don't want to find out at this point
I'm similar with the Kindle, not helped with Amazon regularly giving away free books.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

I might have read that, I read a few books years ago about the rust belt, crack epidemic etc. Why any country strives to be like the USA God only knows.
Once billed as an example of the American ‘City of the Future’…when it’s population was two million. The author suggests, now it’s population is 750,000, it may be an example of the American city of the future again…but for all the wrong reasons obviously.

skyblue1991

Reading is a good habit/hobby to get into, better than mindless browsing

One of my new years resolutions is to read more, some books listed on this thread interest me

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sbarcher

My NYR was not to buy any clothes/shoes etc. for the year.Will have achieved this on Saturday and taking inspiration from you guys will definitely read more books (even though I started the thread!).

CCFCSteve

Just finished The Secret DJ. Great book detailing the some of the life and tales of an ‘unknown’ DJ. Funny and quite sad in equal measures. Just about to start the second one

olderskyblue

I’ve been reading lots of fantasy novels, so that when they hit the screens, I can be a smart arse eg lord of the rings, game of thrones :)

Users who are viewing this thread