What Books Are You Reading? (1 Viewer)

Sbarcher

We’ve had watching and listening so thought I’d start a book thread.
Not been into books for years but my wife bought One,Two,Three,Four - The Beatles in Time by Craig Brown. Half way through it and can’t put it down. Written in a gteat way and really interesting.

Any other good recommendations? Not really into novels.

clint van damme

Just finished a couple on fiction novels by John Niven, Cold hands and the fuck it list.
The fuck it list is a great take down on trumps America.
Now reading thriving in the next economy.

djr8369

Currently rereading Sapiens which is a great overview of human history and progress. Have the sequel as well Homo Deus so will probably read that after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajsccfc

I can never read one at a time due to a poor attention span so I have a few on the go that will take months each

The Only Plane In The Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 - Need something a bit cheery with what's going on in the world
The Beautiful Ones by Prince
The Martini Shot - short crime stories by George Pelecanos who helped write The Wire

Got Cannery Row, No Country For Old Men, Night Boat to Tangier and Voices from Chernobyl lined up after

jimmyhillsfanclub

I'm currently reading "No is not enough" by Naomi Klein......Also very timely as it examines how the fuck we got the point where Trump ends up as POTUS!
I'm also reading a great poetry collection: Contemporary British & North American verse

djr8369

I'm currently reading "No is not enough" by Naomi Klein......Also very timely as it examines how the fuck we got the point where Trump ends up as POTUS!
I'm also reading a great poetry collection: Contemporary British & North American verse

I’ve got that but not read it yet, sounds interesting!

djr8369

I can never read one at a time due to a poor attention span so I have a few on the go that will take months each

The Only Plane In The Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 - Need something a bit cheery with what's going on in the world
The Beautiful Ones by Prince
The Martini Shot - short crime stories by George Pelecanos who helped write The Wire

Got Cannery Row, No Country For Old Men, Night Boat to Tangier and Voices from Chernobyl lined up after

I often do the same! Usually have a fiction and non-fiction book on the go but try and be more disciplined these days and finish stuff before starting anything else.

bringbackrattles

Got 3 books on the go at the same time as my concentration level is up and down.
Usually I can read one book no problem, anyway the 3 books are : Inside Broadmoor - stories and history of the place and it's inmates. The Hard Way - Ex SAS soldier Mark Billingham's life in the armed forces. And just started on : Man Up - by Jack Irwin. A modern take on being a bloke etc, got a good review so thought I'd give it a read.

Terry Gibson's perm

Thinking about getting Shopping,Seduction & Mr Selfridge.

I really enjoyed the show let’s see if I enjoy a bit more reality

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Janet and John. Book 3. "They see Spot run."

Sbarcher

They should just squeeze it like everyone else!

mrtrench

Have a couple on the go. Just started the Gorse Trilogy (Patrick Hamilton) but also dipping into Camus's 'The First Man' and when I've only got 10 minutes reading one of Sholem Aleichem's 'Tevye the Dairyman' stories.

djr8369

I’ve started reading Seveneves by Neal Stephenson and it’s brilliant so far.

Sci-Fi and quite a lot of detail about current space technology, if that floats your boat.

bringbackrattles

I'm moving out shortly so currently sorting out what books to lob away, and what to keep ? I've got many I never even read, and many I started on but never finished.
3 charity shops here in Bell Green all closed, if open I would give them unwanted stuff. My sister said she and neighbours just put books and toys etc at the bottom of their drive and people just are free to help themselves.

RedSalmon

Have you watched the Ken Burns documentary series? I'd recommend if you haven't.
In fact everything I've seen by Burns I'd highly recommend.
Yes, it was that documentary series that got me to read the book. Watching the series first really helps understand the book.

The French don't come out of it all very well at all. Thank God the UK didn't get dragged into it!!

djr8369

Yes, it was that documentary series that got me to read the book. Watching the series first really helps understand the book.

The French don't come out of it all very well at all. Thank God the UK didn't get dragged into it!!

Spent some time in Vietnam last year so intrigued by both the series and the book. I knew the war had been a mess but the museums over there were an eye opener (not without a propaganda slant either which was interesting in itself).

LastGarrison

Spent some time in Vietnam last year so intrigued by both the series and the book. I knew the war had been a mess but the museums over there were an eye opener (not without a propaganda slant either which was interesting in itself).

"The American War Crimes Museum". Although I believe they have now changed the name.

The Cu Chi tunnels were an eye opener as well. Ingenious ways of killing and maiming US soldiers.

bringbackrattles

This is a good article and the book could be a decent read.

Never knew Southall was into so many things. Just read the article and fair play to him seems passionate and concerned. I'm currently reading the Tyson Fury book Behind The Mask, and half way through it and as a boxing fan am enjoying it. Mental health is a key point though in the book and he talks very well on this important subject.

torchomatic

Just started this, so far so good.

clint van damme

Currently reading Moneyland and Cartel (not actually at the same time), both cracking books.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I'm currently reading Travellers in the Third Reich and finding it very interesting. It is basically telling the story of Hitler's rise through the accounts of eye-witnesses who happened to be in Germany during the 1920s and 30s. It's startling how many either sympathised with Nazism or didn't perceive the level of threat posed to the world by them.

bringbackrattles

Just bought Geoff Thompson's latest book. It's his life story about leaving the factory and how he became a top writer and martial artist etc. He has done well for himself. I grew up in Walsgrave as did Geoff and I have mega respect for him and what he has achieved.

clint van damme

Just bought Geoff Thompson's latest book. It's his life story about leaving the factory and how he became a top writer and martial artist etc. He has done well for himself. I grew up in Walsgrave as did Geoff and I have mega respect for him and what he has achieved.

I don't know Geoff but one of my mates does.
Many years ago, not long after watch my back came out, my brother in law was diagnosed with cancer.

He asked for a copy of watch my back so my mate said he'd get it autographed.
Geoff didn't just autograph it, he filled the whole inside cover with a really nice message to my BIL. Fair play to him for doing that, great gesture.

bringbackrattles

I don't know Geoff but one of my mates does.
Many years ago, not long after watch my back came out, my brother in law was diagnosed with cancer.

He asked for a copy of watch my back so my mate said he'd get it autographed.
Geoff didn't just autograph it, he filled the whole inside cover with a really nice message to my BIL. Fair play to him for doing that, great gesture.
He is a hard man but also a gentleman too. I worked with his dad and know all his family really decent people. A mate of mine is a Christian and bumped into Geoff a couple of years back as they know each other. He told him about his church etc and went on his way. My mate said a few weeks later who sat at the back of the church but none other than Geoff Thompson.

Mucca Mad Boys

Two for me:

A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Cynical Theories - a new release by Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay.

Users who are viewing this thread