Westbrooke signs for next season (2 Viewers)

better days

It's a funny old game these days. It's amazing for me that we have a player, 22 in October, with 8 matches to his name and only 1 of those an appearance in the FL, willing to sign for a 4th division development squad. The already short footballers playing career is being further shortened by this U23 nonsense. I don't mean that as a slight on his ability, just on the modern set up. I wonder how much the reputation of our academy and the chances we offer to youth factored into his decision.
It's terrible
Managers fearful of their job prefer 'ready made' older players from other EU Leagues who they think won't need the time and backing young British lads need
The irony is a large number of these EU players are flops and are the first to hide when the going gets tough
Machiavelli had it right about mercenaries

harvey098

I like the way he runs forward after playing a pass. So rare in young players these days, they normally seem happy to play a square pass then stand there.

wingy

It's a funny old game these days. It's amazing for me that we have a player, 22 in October, with 8 matches to his name and only 1 of those an appearance in the FL, willing to sign for a 4th division development squad. The already short footballers playing career is being further shortened by this U23 nonsense. I don't mean that as a slight on his ability, just on the modern set up. I wonder how much the reputation of our academy and the chances we offer to youth factored into his decision.
Great post .
There must have always been wastage of some sort though ?

Hobo

What pleases me we have started business early. Never understood why we haven't had a couple lined up as soon as the season finishes.

He sounds a promising prospect rather than a finished article. But Coventry do give youngsters game time, so hopefully he will flourish here. Good luck to the lad.

Esoterica

It's terrible
Managers fearful of their job prefer 'ready made' older players from other EU Leagues who they think won't need the time and backing young British lads need
The irony is a large number of these EU players are flops and are the first to hide when the going gets tough
Machiavelli had it right about mercenaries

Vladimir Gadzhev.

First rule I change when I'm in charge of the FA, PL or FIFA or whoever. Any player on your books that isn't under 21 gets registered in your 28 man first team or isn't eligible to play football that year, on loan or anywhere else. In that case the mercenaries get exposed for what they are, the kids that want to play get their chance. Lower league clubs win with the trickle down, England ultimately wins.

Esoterica

Great post .
There must have always been wastage of some sort though ?
I'm sure. In the tiny minority that rotted in reserves a few will have never developed. The cream will always rise to the top though but how wide is the bottle neck? Pretty tight right now and the milk underneath will curdle. Bayliss is an absolute prime example. Suddenly the key player in our formation but someone that apparently wasn't ready this year. He was ready - he just needed a few games to adapt. An opportunity many of his ilk won't get.

Gazolba

According to the CT, he's joining the first team squad, not the development squad.
I'm sure there will be a clear out of the current squad whether we get promoted or not, so he will be a replacement for someone leaving.
I'll reserve judgement on him until he gets a few games under his belt.

Gint11

According to the CT, he's joining the first team squad, not the development squad.
I'm sure there will be a clear out of the current squad whether we get promoted or not, so he will be a replacement for someone leaving.
I'll reserve judgement on him until he gets a few games under his belt.

We’ll do well to keep Bayliss this summer even if we get promoted I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

I would imagine a productive chat with the manager would have helped too...or I would like to think thats what happened

skybluegod

Is Westbrooke injured? Hasn't played for the u23's in weeks/months? Or have i missed something about him?

MatthewWallis

No he’s not that’s Bouwe Bosma.

Westbrooke is injured but not sure for how long. He will probably go out on loan in January as the U23s seem to be pushing the younger players

Oh yeah, I can’t keep up with all the young players we signed, I’m not used to it!!

torchomatic

skybluegod

No he’s not that’s Bouwe Bosma.

Westbrooke is injured but not sure for how long. He will probably go out on loan in January as the U23s seem to be pushing the younger players

Yes that's what i was thinking, surprised he hasn't gone out on loan to league 2/national league, but makes sense if injured.

better days

I saw him in the U23 game v Burnley at the Ricoh earlier this season
He ran the game as a deep lying midfielder getting the ball and passing or carrying it forward

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

You can’t help but think CCFC have the tweet “Zain Westbrooke has left the club by mutual consent. The club would like to wish Zain all the best for the future”, saved in their drafts!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think it's more likely for Bosma to be honest. Thing with our U23's is that we've got a relatively large squad and 1st teamers are playing to keep a bit of sharpness in case their needed so the development players we've brought in aren't playing and therefore developing.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think it's more likely for Bosma to be honest. Thing with our U23's is that we've got a relatively large squad and 1st teamers are playing to keep a bit of sharpness in case their needed so the development players we've brought in aren't playing and therefore developing.

He hasn’t even been playing for Southport a league below the conference not sure if he is injured but may go with my first thought that he isn’t good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread