Match Thread West Bromwich Albion - Coventry City Match Thread - Friday 1st Mar (1 Viewer)

AiS86

It was a good goal yes, but as you said Collins would of at least made an effort.
Wilson may as well of been in the stand for the effort he made.
He may as well have been in the stand if he did dive, he wasn't stopping it. That's on the defending, but even then, it's just a piece of individual brilliance

hinckley cov

Thanks both

I don't think we are going to get promoted until we become the side that wins at places like Preston and West Brom, we need the bogey sides dealt with

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Don’t believe in this bogey side stuff they are either better sides than us or their manager out thought ours like the Preston game.

Hertsccfc

This season is done

there’s no excuses next season, the team is gonna be strengthened I suspect

no bedding in chat, top six is the expectation
I don't think it is that simple. We will have gone backwards this season and it is harder to regain that progress. Presumably we lose O'Hare and that could have a major impact on the ethos of the squad. I think we could come to regret not strengthening in January.

Matt smith

Good old dramatic Matt lol 😂

Got plenty to play for... PUSB
I’m not even being dramatic mate

that wasn’t even meant overly negative

for me if hull win Tomorrow that’s play offs over

Not overly annoyed tonight just running out of steam @Bugsy but we’re doing alright in line with the plan

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

I have to say, it’s astounding how Wilson has gone from such a hero to villain in less than a few months, and some if not all of that in my opinion is down to MR fucking about with the back four / five in front of him at the start of the season meaning he never had a chance with a settled back line and lost confidence as a result - more than any other position, bar possibly centre forwards, goal keepers thrive on confidence - and clearly he has lost his, but he hasn’t just become shit overnight!

Give the kid a break, he wasn’t at fault for either goal tonight and it’s also worth remembering his heroics last season including the last minute ‘hand of god’ against Blackburn which arguably pushed us over the line in those last few games to reach the playoffs.

Brighton Sky Blue

Spot on. The bad start to the season was partially caused by constant chopping and changing the defence. It’s crazy unless there’s injuries, especially CBs, they work as partnerships
I thought the point of signing last season's Barnsley defence was for their familiarity with each other. Not really following MR's logic on the changes since Kitching's red cards.

Bugsy

I have to say, it’s astounding how Wilson has gone from such a hero to villain in less than a few months, and some if not all of that in my opinion is down to MR fucking about with the back four / five in front of him at the start of the season meaning he never had a chance with a settled back line and lost confidence as a result - more than any other position, bar possibly centre forwards, goal keepers thrive on confidence - and clearly he has lost his, but he hasn’t just become shit overnight!

Give the kid a break, he wasn’t at fault for either goal tonight and it’s also worth remembering his heroics last season including the last minute ‘hand of god’ against Blackburn which arguably pushed us over the line in those last few games to reach the playoffs.

I was there.... PUSB

Matt smith

I don't think it is that simple. We will have gone backwards this season and it is harder to regain that progress. Presumably we lose O'Hare and that could have a major impact on the ethos of the squad. I think we could come to regret not strengthening in January.
I think it is that simple to be honest

gone backwards? In laments terms yes but I think considering the overhaul it’s a good base

that’s what I’m saying, there’s no excuses next year, I can’t see us not getting better

Hertsccfc

I think it is that simple to be honest

gone backwards? In laments terms yes but I think considering the overhaul it’s a good base

that’s what I’m saying, there’s no excuses next year, I can’t see us not getting better
I hope your right but it's not a given.

alexccfc99

The goalkeeping situation is baffling and the chopping and changing is helping no one - I don’t know one top side that hasn’t had a clue who their No. 1 is

Robins track record with goalies isn’t particularly great as I’m yet to be massively impressed with any of them since he come back to the club

Matt smith

The goalkeeping situation is baffling and the chopping and changing is helping no one - I don’t know one top side that hasn’t had a clue who their No. 1 is

Robins track record with goalies isn’t particularly great as I’m yet to be massively impressed with any of them since he come back to the club
Collins is better than Wilson.

covcity4life

How many videos of Hamer Vik and Mcfad doing head tennis and whoop whoop did you see last season?? None, because they wouldn’t be seen fucking dead doing it.

The biggest worry now is we’ve got a championship equivalent of your rashfords, lingards and Sanchos.
Pattern there...

alexccfc99

Collins is better than Wilson.
I don’t think there’s as much in it as made out to be honest

I’m yet to be particularly enamoured with Collins and think he’s very similar to Wilson in the case where he will do a job but nothing exceptional

I’d quite happily us sign a 29/30/31 year old dominant No. 1 goalie in the summer who we commit to playing week in week out

Matt smith

I’m yet to be particularly enamoured with Collins and think he’s very similar to Wilson in the case where he will do a job but nothing exceptional

I’d quite happily us sign a 29/30/31 year old dominant No. 1 goalie in the summer who we commit to playing week in week out
I do agree though mate we haven’t got a nailed on 1.

in my opinion I think it’s imperative’s we get our business done early, with a full pre season there’s no excuses for a slow start, it costs us

Brighton Sky Blue

The overall standard of goalkeeping in this league isn’t anything special. Though on Tuesday we’ll see one of the better ones.

alexccfc99

That lot will get absolutely arseholed by Leeds/Saints/Ipswich in the play offs anyway - if they are the supposed ‘best of the rest’ then that shows how clear the Top 4 are

wince

Fadz wanted to leave to play regularly which he's now doing, we let him go on a free as he was barely going to get any minutes for the rest of the season which seems fair enough considering all he's done for us. Why is that down to Doug?
Because in a 3 at the start of the season he was one of the first on the team sheet , he lost his place due to circumstance ,We went on a run and changed styles , Janurary came squad wasnt big enough ,Then Dug made it smaller and let him go, We now have switched back ,the players are not better or need rest or not suited to that style All players want to play regular you dont let them go when under contract with out replacements , Thats why its on Doug

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Robins admitting he set the team up wrong

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Good that he's admitted it, but he's admitted errors before and then just repeated them the next game.

It does seem to take him longer than necessary to get from identifying the problem to fixing it.

pusbccfc

Because in a 3 at the start of the season he was one of the first on the team sheet , he lost his place due to circumstance ,We went on a run and changed styles , Janurary came squad wasnt big enough ,Then Dug made it smaller and let him go, We now have switched back ,the players are not better or need rest or not suited to that style All players want to play regular you dont let them go when under contract with out replacements , Thats why its on Doug

You blame Doug but we spent £6m in January. Who's choice was it to spend it on 2 players and not 6?

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

didn’t think there was anything wrong with Marosi to be fair!

Also thought Moore might deserve another shot…

AiS86

If he were still here, he wouldn't be playing, maybe Maidstone at a push. His time here was up unfortunately. He lost his place and he wasn't getting it back, especially when we went 4 at the back. We've only reverted to 3 due to injuries. He wasn't at all in the plans hence letting him go on a mutual. Struggling to see how that's Dougs fault, especially as I'm sure Robins signed it off too

messiahrobins

Woeful tonight. The Baggies in absolute cruise control once they went 2-0 up. No issue with the change of formation as without Sakamoto we have no right sided attacking player who is a natural there. Not playing Wright, our top scorer is criminal. Simms deserved a start so it came down to Ohare v Palmer in the no 10 role, and on current form Palmer deserved the nod.
Da Silva is a woefully inadequate player at this level. He simply cannot defend and for all the brilliance of Robins over the years and his iconic status for life in the City, his judgement all season with Da Silva v Bidwell is very suspect and there must be something more to it, as Bidwell is obviously a far superior defender, the first job of a full back/wing back. Thomas is a good signing but on current form he is clearly tired mentally and Kitching has more experience and is more of a leader and should be starting.
The goalkeeping situation is an utter shambles. Moore is earning a decent wage, and if Robins is not sure about Collins and Wilson currently, then why not try Moore? He was woeful last season obviously but arguably when he was playing well 2 seasons a go he had a higher ceiling than Wilson or Collins. He may have recovered some confidence. If he is being frozen out for off field issues then its criminal he is still at the club, surely it makes more sense to terminate his contract.
Letting Mcfadzean go was ridiculous. His experience was vital and he was the best defender in a back 3 arguably and surely Robins would have legislated for the fact we might have to revert to a back 3 if Sakamoto was injured/out of form/tired even before he got injured!
We seem to me to have a mix of players more suited to different formations, some clearly more suited to 4-2-3-1, others to a 5-3-2/3-4-1-2(however you view that system) . Latabadieure Da Silva Binks Kitching MVE were obviously bought for a wing back system. Sakamoto clearly was a right winger and Wright clearly better out on the left.
What the actual fuck is the communication between the management team and recruitment team.?

messiahrobins

If he were still here, he wouldn't be playing, maybe Maidstone at a push. His time here was up unfortunately. He lost his place and he wasn't getting it back, especially when we went 4 at the back. We've only reverted to 3 due to injuries. He wasn't at all in the plans hence letting him go on a mutual. Struggling to see how that's Dougs fault, especially as I'm sure Robins signed it off too
Thats woeful foresight then as we were always a Sakamoto injury away or , loss of form away from going back to a back 3. Mcfadzean is better than any of the defenders we currently have in a back 3. Kitching and Thomas have potential but right now lack consistency. we needed Mcfadzean and i doubt being the warrior he is that he wanted out because he was told he had to fight for the shirt. He must have been told he had no future at the club, which if the case, was utterly ridiculous.

SIR ERNIE

Simms and Wright are not top 6 forwards in the division - they are the flagship signings and whatever the excuses they are poor and underachieving - they need to look at themselves and do better
I'm fast coming to the conclusion that they can't do better. They're both very poor strikers and we've overspent definitely on Wight, probably on Simms.
I want to see aggression in a striker. I want him to get angry with officials. These two are a pair of kittens ffs.
We've got obvious weaknesses all over the park but these two are the biggest disappointment of all because they should be capable of turning a game in an instant.

Users who are viewing this thread