Match Thread West Bromwich Albion - Coventry City Match Thread - Friday 1st Mar (3 Viewers)

Deity

Can only think what’s going through Godden’s mind as he watches Simms shank every single effort miles off target.
When was the last time we saw Godden score from outside the box or the edge of the area …. I’ll wait .

I understand some fans not believing Simms will come good but to think we should be playing Godden is pure desperation.

We have outgrown his capabilities and I’m sure he will be moved on this summer. I’m equally sure Robins will bring in at least one striker.

Brighton Sky Blue

When was the last time we saw Godden score from outside the box or the edge of the area …. I’ll wait .

I understand some fans not believing Simms will come good but to think we should be playing Godden is pure desperation.

We have outgrown his capabilities and I’m sure he will be moved on this summer. I’m equally sure Robins will bring in at least one striker.
Agree, Godden has looked a spent force for some time. But Simms’ shooting was all over the place all night from decent opportunities.

At that point I just want to see their keeper having to do some work.

Evo1883

Godden from the bench is still a viable option , especially watching that shite last night

Tommo1993

Godden apparently throwing strops is completely understandable. Although I think he’s more professional than that

stevefloyd

There really was something in that game for us which is the frustrating thing - I come away from that seeing Albion as a solid yet pretty unspectacular side who had an off night, a point was easily attainable from that fixture and the wrong team selection and set up from the whistle cost us, I do think that one is on Robins

It is easy to say in a bad run of form but looking at the play-offs and our own circumstances, you may laugh at me for saying it but I do feel it may be a blessing in disguise to not get in the Play-Offs this season, whilst they are one off matches do I really think we have it in us to take a Leeds/Southampton or Ipswich over two legs... no - This team isn't ready yet, the club isn't ready to compete with Leeds, Saints etc. yet - I am just glad we are in the hunt if I am honest, and despite the last two games, we are

Just take every game how it comes and see where we are in May - Even in the good run of form we had I was always under the impression that in this teams cycle, next season will be the season they are ready to have a proper push
You just have to look at last years promotions to the Prem, Burnley were the pick of the bunch and they are not setting any fires, if we had or will get to the prem through the back door I would imagine we would probably do an infamous copy of 'The Derby' side. The team we have at the minute, except for the disney couple upfront, have improved us we have scored more goals throughout the team but we are no Burnley, Fester, Leeds quality team ATM... Brentford had some great players when they were promoted, we have some ok players and some not so ok players our squad depth is very light, last night Robins had the 'first team' options of Kelly, Kitching, Wright, Bidwell and Godden, obviously he brought Wright on but when you're looking for a little bit more attacking options looking at that bench there wasn't really a great choice.
Hopefully we bring in some better quality next transfer window and cut our losses on some that are not really cutting it, all signings are a gamble Torp looks to be a find but he's knackered and his performances have dropped in the last few games...over to our recruitment team (gulp)
Lets get behind the boys for the remainder of this season, our support is great, sure we are a little disappointed at times but they have given us some remarkable memories in this and the past few seasons PUSB

alexccfc99

You just have to look at last years promotions to the Prem, Burnley were the pick of the bunch and they are not setting any fires, if we had or will get to the prem through the back door I would imagine we would probably do an infamous copy of 'The Derby' side. The team we have at the minute, except for the disney couple upfront, have improved us we have scored more goals throughout the team but we are no Burnley, Fester, Leeds quality team ATM... Brentford had some great players when they were promoted, we have some ok players and some not so ok players our squad depth is very light, last night Robins had the 'first team' options of Kelly, Kitching, Wright, Bidwell and Godden, obviously he brought Wright on but when you're looking for a little bit more attacking options looking at that bench there wasn't really a great choice.
Hopefully we bring in some better quality next transfer window and cut our losses on some that are not really cutting it, all signings are a gamble Torp looks to be a find but he's knackered and his performances have dropped in the last few games...over to our recruitment team (gulp)
Lets get behind the boys for the remainder of this season, our support is great, sure we are a little disappointed at times but they have given us some remarkable memories in this and the past few seasons PUSB
We would struggle but no one will ever come close to that touching that Derby record

skyblu3sk

I was in the Home end last night spoke to a number of baggies fans they were very complimentary about the team and the manager all agreed although they were on top in the first half if we'd have taken our chances it's a minimum of a draw. Overall I didn't think we played badly though maybe lacking that little spark although we did create a number of good chances. I was surprised that MVE got done for the first goal but their player was particularly skillful and delivered the type of crosses we can only dream of and obviously a good goal. Overall I'm not too down we went to a playoff placed club and got beat that's going to happen sometimes even if we do turn up.

CV22SBA

Until Sheaf returns, would go with this until the end of the season:

Collins
MVE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Torp
Palmer/Tavares COH/Allen Wright/JD
Simms/Tavares

I would rather see some awkwardness in a wide right position than a system packed with defensive players which still leaks goals but also robs us of attacking threat. Maybe even try Tavares down the middle-with the play offs now surrendered in the space of two games there can’t be much harm trying.
It was looking good until you mentioned Tavares. He won’t play in the first 11 again this season surely.

stevefloyd

Even that Maidstone keeper did a far better job commanding his area than Wilson typically does.
He come and collected a cross, well whoever thought goalies could do that but shame he couldn't hold onto a shot or 2 :) I always thought we looked far far better with Hedman in goal in place of 'you can't say nothing bad about Oggy' !

alexccfc99

We lost 2-1 away to one of the best teams in league

We're clearly not shite. This is embarrassing from some posters.
I think, as Albion are most seasons they are a solid yet pretty unspectacular side

Said it already I think unless something goes majorly tits up whoever misses out from Leeds Southampton or Ipswich would make light work of them over two legs

covcity4life

I think, as Albion are most seasons they are a solid yet pretty unspectacular side

Said it already I think unless something goes majorly tits up whoever misses out from Leeds Southampton or Ipswich would make light work of them over two legs
It doesn't matter. They are solidly 5th and one of the better teams on the division.

Legia Sky Blue

One of our ongoing issues this season has been our propensity for conceding the first goal. If I remember right, Sky said last night we had done so in something like 23 or 24 league games, which is a crazy stat for a top half team. Our 2nd half goals scored have only been behind Leicester, so addressing that issue could make a huge difference to our fortunes.

Last edited:

tom88

It always looks like we play with the handbrakes on and then it is released in 70 mins

why can’t we just get at teams from the off then apply the handbrake and take control of the game at a slower pace when we’re winning?

last 2 games against play off chasers were 1-0 down before 6 minutes!

One of our ongoing issues this season has been our propensity for conceding the first goal. If I remember right, Sky said last night we had done so in something like 23 of our 24 league games, which is a crazy stat for a top half team. Our 2nd half goals scored have only been behind Leicester, so addressing that issue could make a huge difference to our fortunes.

stevefloyd

Annoyed about last night and I rarely shoot down the gaffa .

Latibeaudiere is being picked and keeping better players out .

Same with dasilva
Same with Wilson

There is an argument to play Kelly next to torp to bring some stability to our non existent midfield ?

Kitching cost 4 mill yet doesn't seem favoured ?

Why has godden been completely pushed away when we are chasing goals he's still a viable option to bring on when your 12 million pound partnership can't hit a barn door ?
Problem with Godden is that he should have left last year, his performances has shown that he is not cutting it with us any more because we don't like to feed the strikers chances... I think that Kitching being the fiery player he appears to be has had some fall out with Robins because it makes no sense to bring him straight back into the team after his latest sending off and then being benched in the very next game. I definitely think that Kelly should be playing next to Torp, if nothing else to help him settle into english football but I suppose after playing on Monday after his injury maybe Robins was protecting him as we all know Kellys injury problems but as well as Freckles played I still think we should have gone with Kelly against Albion in the middle or even have brought Kelly on in the latter stages and gone 4 at the back when we needed another goal and actually had them rocking towards the end...ish !

lifeskyblue

Poor performance last night; no passion or commitment, no tactical awareness and no confidence. Seemed almost like we were playing a pre season friendly with the lack of intensity. We haven’t really played well since Leicester game or since we lost sheaf to injury.
Teams go through these spells during the season …Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton have all had relatively poor runs recently. Hopefully our poor form will come to end sooner rather than later and we have a strong end of season.
Is it time to panic….no. Is it time to try a couple of youngsters…yes some mins rather than full 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

It always looks like we play with the handbrakes on and then it is released in 70 mins

why can’t we just get at teams from the off then apply the handbrake and take control of the game at a slower pace when we’re winning?

last 2 games against play off chasers were 1-0 down before 6 minutes!
We've got some quite passive players throughout the side

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

stupot07

Xg

West Brom - 0.37
Ccfc - 1.77

mmm
Bit of a red herring that. A pen is 0.79 on its own. And actually once west Brom went 2-0 up they were happy to sit on their lead. Numerous times they got the ball in good positions but they didn't commit in numbers.

If you take away the pen, then the remaining 0.98 xGA is a cumulative figure of the other 16 low chance long range shots we had.

stevefloyd

One of our ongoing issues this season has been our propensity for conceding the first goal. If I remember right, Sky said last night we had done so in something like 23 of our 24 league games, which is a crazy stat for a top half team. Our 2nd half goals scored have only been behind Leicester, so addressing that issue could make a huge difference to our fortunes.
Playing devils advocate but maybe the common denominator is the goalkeeper not organising what he sees in front of him, that means the 2 goalkeepers not a cheap shot, no pun intended, at any goalkeeper in particular

CCFCSteve

I actually don't understand what Collins has done wrong ? Fans claiming he should catch shots ? Weird to me to be honest

Can’t find the post but wasn’t he leading the championship in percentage saves or something as well ? It’s bizarre and together with changing backline has led to uncertainty/confusion at the back which has seen us pretty much losing last two games before HT

CV22SBA

Playing devils advocate but maybe the common denominator is the goalkeeper not organising what he sees in front of him, that means the 2 goalkeepers not a cheap shot, no pun intended, at any goalkeeper in particular
Most of the time it’s really bad defending. What was da silva doing for that’s second goal last night.

I know a few Bristol fans and they were amazed we signed him.

stevefloyd

Poor performance last night; no passion or commitment, no tactical awareness and no confidence. Seemed almost like we were playing a pre season friendly with the lack of intensity. We haven’t really played well since Leicester game or since we lost sheaf to injury.
Teams go through these spells during the season …Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton have all had relatively poor runs recently. Hopefully our poor form will come to end sooner rather than later and we have a strong end of season.
Is it time to panic….no. Is it time to try a couple of youngsters…yes some mins rather than full 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Robins plays the youngsters I can imagine the meltdown on here if we lose .... The FA cup was probably the best time to try them

fernandopartridge

I think Godden is a better option as a loan striker ahead of the box than either the other pair. He can at least do basic lay offs and his movement creates space for others to exploit.

Simms back to goal does receive the ball but his touches and lay offs are invariably poor, he's always off balance and leaning back.

Wright's work with his back to goal is really poor, he doesn't anticipate defenders being behind him and doesn't get his body between the defender and the ball. Twice last night he was completely flat footed waiting for the ball to come to him.

We need much better from everybody.

CCFCSteve

Annoyed about last night and I rarely shoot down the gaffa .

Latibeaudiere is being picked and keeping better players out .

Same with dasilva
Same with Wilson

There is an argument to play Kelly next to torp to bring some stability to our non existent midfield ?

Kitching cost 4 mill yet doesn't seem favoured ?

Why has godden been completely pushed away when we are chasing goals he's still a viable option to bring on when your 12 million pound partnership can't hit a barn door ?

Agree with most of that. Simms was a handful last night but shooting was disappointing. Torp and palmer also should’ve worked the keeper more from their chances, especially second half.

TomRad85

Agree with most of that. Simms was a handful last night but shooting was disappointing. Torp and palmer also should’ve worked the keeper more from their chances, especially second half.
Yeh Simms, Torp and Palmer all took out a fair few spectators last night. West Broms keeper was the safest person in the stadium.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

Yeh Simms, Torp and Palmer all took out a fair few spectators last night. West Broms keeper was the safest person in the stadium.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

When we did hit the target (palmer and Torp) they were powder puff efforts and didn’t work him. Just one of those games

stevefloyd

I think Godden is a better option as a loan striker ahead of the box than either the other pair. He can at least do basic lay offs and his movement creates space for others to exploit.

Simms back to goal does receive the ball but his touches and lay offs are invariably poor, he's always off balance and leaning back.

Wright's work with his back to goal is really poor, he doesn't anticipate defenders being behind him and doesn't get his body between the defender and the ball. Twice last night he was completely flat footed waiting for the ball to come to him.

We need much better from everybody.

The problem with Godden being the LONE striker is that the rest of the team think he is Usain Bolt so he rarely gets a chance to hold the ball up

Users who are viewing this thread