Match Thread West Bromwich Albion - Coventry City Match Thread - Friday 1st Mar (10 Viewers)

hamertime

We can easily beat west brom if we go with the right attitude and have a go from the start. If turn up like most the fans on here thinking we’re going to loose then inevitably we will.

Hincha

Not too opposed to the shift in formation. We’re in a different place player wise now; both in terms of individuals and confidence levels.

Last year we were all excited to see Palmer/COH in the box formation, and while it won’t be Sheaf/Hamer behind them, we know how good Torp is and they will have a better striker ahead of them in Simms.

Lati will be good in that CB role too, he’s composed and good on the ball. MVE is better than BNC (when if he’s off form) and Kitching/Thomas are at the very least equal to Doyle/McNally.

“a better striker ahead of them”

… better than Gyokeres!?

shepardo01

Not too opposed to the shift in formation. We’re in a different place player wise now; both in terms of individuals and confidence levels.

Last year we were all excited to see Palmer/COH in the box formation, and while it won’t be Sheaf/Hamer behind them, we know how good Torp is and they will have a better striker ahead of them in Simms.

Lati will be good in that CB role too, he’s composed and good on the ball. MVE is better than BNC (when if he’s off form) and Kitching/Thomas are at the very least equal to Doyle/McNally.
Have a few issues with this.;

i) any combination of Torp/Eccles/Kelly is way way behind Sheaf/Hamer
ii) Lati is basically a "back up" everything - cm/RB/central defender. We will struggle if he is playing in the back 5 in any position.
iii) Can't think that you actually think Simms is better than Vik.

And in your first paragraph, you talk about confidence levels.
We've just struggled to beat a horrendous Stoke team and Robins called the performance against Preston the worst in years.

Forget Maidstone - that was a training session.
We are going into this game in horrendous shape.

Great_Expectations

Have a few issues with this.;

i) any combination of Torp/Eccles/Kelly is way way behind Sheaf/Hamer
ii) Lati is basically a "back up" everything - cm/RB/central defender. We will struggle if he is playing in the back 5 in any position.
iii) Can't think that you actually think Simms is better than Vik.

And in your first paragraph, you talk about confidence levels.
We've just struggled to beat a horrendous Stoke team and Robins called the performance against Preston the worst in years.

Forget Maidstone - that was a training session.
We are going into this game in horrendous shape.

Fair enough, in response I’d say:

1) I’m not suggesting that combo is better, and in fairness my post doesn’t imply that. My point is/was while last year we all wanted to see those four together, subbing in Torp for Hamer might not be the same level, but he adds creativity in there. Once Sheaf is back, him and Torp are a strong, strong combination and better than the midfield pairings we had earlier in the season. Even short term, Torp and a n other is fine behind Palmer/COH. It’s not completely void of offensive intent.

2) Lati is a utility player but I rate him. He’ll obviously be different to Fadz there - downgrade in some areas, upgrade in others. Consistency in one position might help him. MR has referred to him as a good talker and I think he’s technically sound too, so he’ll be fine there.

3) Yea - I somehow had the biggest brain fog and forget about Gyokeres. This was in reference to Godden.

4) Confidence wise, we’ve not played well but bar PNE our results have been good. We’ve all played in teams where performances have been poor but results good. It’s an odd feeling, but overall is more of confidence boost than anything negative IMO. And my more comparable point between formations at the start of the season and now; the team are in a better place overall than when we employed it then. That can only help.

hamertime

I’m
Yup, FA Cup 3rd round replay in 1995. Remember being stood in wedge of terrace in the corner (as they were redeveloping the Hawthorns) and going bonkers for both our late goals :D

I was there behind the goal, can remember looking at the poor fuckers in the corner 😂

thekidfromstrettoncamp

We played them league cup 1967 away lost 6-1. Coming out the ground (no segregation then).The number of times we got told you'll never last in Division 1 we stayed there 34 years there.
I think Friday you'll see MR put out a strong defence from the start and hit them on the break.I expect a close game us by an odd goal.

Last edited:

CV22SBA

We can easily beat west brom if we go with the right attitude and have a go from the start. If turn up like most the fans on here thinking we’re going to loose then inevitably we will.
Last 10 games at home they have only lost to Southampton & Leicester. I'd be happy with a point.

SleepyGinger

If we’re going back to a 5 then I’d like to see

Collins
Thomas Latibeaudiere Kitching
MVE Eccles Torp Dasilva
Palmer OHare
Simms

Hincha

If we’re going back to a 5 then I’d like to see

Collins
Thomas Latibeaudiere Kitching
MVE Eccles Torp Dasilva
Palmer OHare
Simms

I would play Kitching in the middle and bring in Binks for Lati.

Also Bidwell for Da Silva who isn't good enough defensively to be a starter for a play-off chasing team. Gets targeted by opposition every game.

We've got a guy who has finished in the play offs twice playing at LWB. We should play him.

shmmeee

I would play Kitching in the middle and bring in Binks for Lati.

Also Bidwell for Da Silva who isn't good enough defensively to be a starter for a play-off chasing team. Gets targeted by opposition every game.

We've got a guy who has finished in the play offs twice playing at LWB. We should play him.

Fuck no. Back to the start of the season with 7 defensively minded outfielders players 🤢

PVA

Don't think we have any choice but to go back to the wing back formation.

Though I am confident we'll be much better in it for the rest of the season than we were at the start.

Merseyskyblue

Last time we used the wingback formation, Callum ohare was only just returning and our strikers were badly misfiring. I’m confident we’ll use it much better this time round, especially when we get a midfield of Torp and sheaf

AFCCOVENTRY

Don't think we have any choice but to go back to the wing back formation.

Though I am confident we'll be much better in it for the rest of the season than we were at the start.

I think the biggest issue we had at the start of the season was too many new players settling in. I agree, if we did go back to that formation the players know each other so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread