We're not ready (1 Viewer)

Cbaker89

I don't think we're ready to go up yet, were not consistent with our results, we haven't learnt to put the ball on the floor and pass it. I do think we will go up but we need time to learn what MR wants us to do, give him a full summer to bring in more players like another LB a CB and clear out some then we will have a very strong squad that could then get out of this league AND sustain ourselves in the championship because at the moment if we go up I don't think we could handle ourselves

Black6Osprey

What?? It's about getting out of this league not how well this team would do in the league above. Of course it wouldnt be good enough without additions but that would go for most teams.

Delboycov

If we go up it will be because we've found consistency with our results...if we don't then we'll be stuck in this tin pot league for the forseeable future. Don't agree about not being ready as if we have a winning side capable of promotion from this position then with a bit of strengthening we will be ready.

ccfcway

never mind not being good enough for the championship next year, sadly it looks like the league one table will show we were good enough this year

SkyblueDave89

I blame the football league giving MR the manager of the month also still on a high from Thursday but I do agree we need to tighten up at the back, be more solid & not give teams easy chances

kepit 2 yusen

I agree we are not ready yet. Defence needs tightening and until Leon C settles in and regularly starts netting goals we are going to suffer the loss of McG. Meanwhile games are running out and performance, although much much better is not yet quite there. I'm realistically settling for mid table or slightly above this year. If we do reach the dreamland of play offs then so be it but I think we are asking too much as things stand.

derbyskyblue

Its important to get out of this league this season. So important.
If we dont we could well end up staying here for years, like we did in the chumpionship.
Paint pot is good, but lets get out of this league..,damn quick !!PUSB

Gaz

I believe we have got the consistency with our results to gain promotion.
Ok, so we just lost two games, but we are not going to win all of them, and neither is any other team.
If you look at our results since Robins came in, then that points to promotion form.
The only reason we are not in the top six now, is because of the start to the season that we had before Robins came in.
We are imo good enough to get out of this league now, but we was always going to need some of the other teams to slip up for us to get into the top six because we were so far behind.

Cbaker89

The only reason I say this is I'm sure MR said it would take us a while to settle and play the way he wants, against Preston we won, yes, however I felt we couldn't help but play route 1 for 60% of the game and it was the fact that the players didn't know how to combat Preston. MR knows we still have a lot to learn and myself agree with him. I think we should use this season to get things right and go all out next year. We could go up automatically, we would then have a lot more belief than we do know and could very much sustain ourselves in the next division(which is important as we don't want to yo-yo up and down)

Otis

I believe we have got the consistency with our results to gain promotion.
Ok, so we just lost two games, but we are not going to win all of them, and neither is any other team.
If you look at our results since Robins came in, then that points to promotion form.
The only reason we are not in the top six now, is because of the start to the season that we had before Robins came in.
We are imo good enough to get out of this league now, but we was always going to need some of the other teams to slip up for us to get into the top six because we were so far behind.

Which has been my argument since MR came in. He was left with so much to do to turn things round. We were so far behind and it took a really good run just to get us with 6 points of the play-offs.

After that point it is all about sustainability and it is a massive ask for the team to sustain that level of form for the rest of the entire season.

Stats tell you that we will need over 70 points to make 6th place.

At the moment we have 37 points. There's 19 games left. To get to 71 points we need a further 34 points. That would equate to 10 wins 4 draws and 5 defeats. Or 9 wins, 7 draws and just 3 defeats.

As I say, a massive ask. Key to achieving this will be a vast improvement in home form, which has been very, very poor.

dongonzalos

Which has been my argument since MR came in. He was left with so much to do to turn things round. We were so far behind and it took a really good run just to get us with 6 points of the play-offs.

After that point it is all about sustainability and it is a massive ask for the team to sustain that level of form for the rest of the entire season.

Stats tell you that we will need over 70 points to make 6th place.

At the moment we have 37 points. There's 19 games left. To get to 71 points we need a further 34 points. That would equate to 10 wins 4 draws and 5 defeats. Or 9 wins, 7 draws and just 3 defeats.

As I say, a massive ask. Key to achieving this will be a vast improvement in home form, which has been very, very poor.

Agree we need to overcome the psychology of the teams coming to the Ricoh

Sky Blue Kid

I'm not having a go here, but.....One minute we beat (At the time top of the league) Doncaster 4-1 away, Then arguably one of the best teams in this league, MK Dons away, yet Shrewsbury, and Carlisle, both well below halfway in the league, do the double over us, with the possibility of Tranmere making it a "Hat trick" of teams to do it!...No, I'm sorry, that (To me) isn't consistency. :facepalm:

Otis

Shrewsbury was a bit of a freak result for me, cos it was a match we clearly should have won. On another day that could easily been 4-2 to us.

With Carlisle I think it was that ongoing problem of coming up against yet another physical side, along with the factor of fatigue from Thursday night.

Let's see what happens on Wednesday.

I'm not too despondent, though the one thing irking me is the fact that both Shrewsbury and Carlisle have done the double over us. That clearly shouldn't be happening. To lose twice to both.

Can't blame MR for that though. He wasn't here for Shrewsbury away and Carlisle at home was obviously his very first game in charge.

dongonzalos

I'm not having a go here, but.....One minute we beat (At the time top of the league) Doncaster 4-1 away, Then arguably one of the best teams in this league, MK Dons away, yet Shrewsbury, and Carlisle, both well below halfway in the league, do the double over us, with the possibility of Tranmere making it a "Hat trick" of teams to do it!...No, I'm sorry, that (To me) isn't consistency. :facepalm:

I confident we can do Tranmere.

We should be in the right mind set for playing them as they are top of the league.

It when we play lesser teams that is when I become concerned.

Hopefully MR will shake things up a little and send a message.

Either that or we are doing fine and its just a case of getting support for Clarke.

However after that Carlisle result I feel it is the former not the latter.

Last edited:

NottsCov

I never dreamed that I would actually prefer to play a top 6 side away than a bottom 6 side at home! That is just crazy. We won't make playoffs this season, top half would be fine by me considering our first 10/11 games. If Robins brings in a decent striker and a couple of full backs in the summer (nowhere else needs strengthening imo) then we should be looking for no less than automatic promotion next season.

covcity4life

of course we are ready, bar right back position we are ready

that problem permission has had a blind eye turned to it by some fns but they are now realising too

get a loanee in and we will be good for another long run

skyblueman

We missing a decent striker obviously - we had had one and he's gone and suddenly we're not winning - it ain't rocket science - MR needs to find another and quickly

Sky Blue Kid

@ Otis..

With the exceptions of MK Dons, Doncaster, Tranmere, Notts County, Crawley, and Sheff Utd...All the rest rest of 'em are Physical "Cloggers"....We are still not good enough to rely solely on the "Passing game" We need another Doyler, Wise, type of player in the middle of the park, and to me, LC (For all his enthusiasm) isn't technically strong enough to play up on his own(McG is a master of this system ie- he scored loads of goals)...McSheff/Elliot needs to be played alongside of LC to bring out the best in him. My opinion of course.;)

Mucca Mad Boys

of course we are ready, bar right back position we are ready

that problem permission has had a blind eye turned to it by some fns but they are now realising too

get a loanee in and we will be good for another long run

So what you are saying is, that our defence would suddenly stop conceding goals if we get a new RB!? Are you serious? It's more fundamental than that and not all of our goals come from the right. I would've thought your 'superior' knowledge would know this.

Mucca Mad Boys

@ Otis..

With the exceptions of MK Dons, Doncaster, Tranmere, Notts County, Crawley, and Sheff Utd...All the rest rest of 'em are Physical "Cloggers"....We are still not good enough to rely solely on the "Passing game" We need another Doyler, Wise, type of player in the middle of the park, and to me, LC (For all his enthusiasm) isn't technically strong enough to play up on his own(McG is a master of this system ie- he scored loads of goals)...McSheff/Elliot needs to be played alongside of LC to bring out the best in him. My opinion of course.;)

4-4-2, as we have seen, or for some, should have seen, is that when we play 4-4-2, we struggle to make quality chances and we end up bypassing the CMs and not favouring our usual style. Clarke will (hopefully) come good in the lone striker role, we just need Adams, Clarke/Christie and the RM + LM to deliver good crosses in good positions for him to latch onto.

covcity4life

So what you are saying is, that our defence would suddenly stop conceding goals if we get a new RB!? Are you serious? It's more fundamental than that and not all of our goals come from the right. I would've thought your 'superior' knowledge would know this.

dont try to start an argument, u made yourself look silly enough ont hursday in the end,backing clarke to the hilt and look what happened

the majority of people on this forum agree RB is a weak point in the team,so yes replacing with a new RB will make the defence and in turn the team stronger.

stop fighting me,you know im right

Mucca Mad Boys

dont try to start an argument, u made yourself look silly enough ont hursday in the end,backing clarke to the hilt and look what happened

the majority of people on this forum agree RB is a weak point in the team,so yes replacing with a new RB will make the defence and in turn the team stronger.

stop fighting me,you know im right

I never disagreed with the notion :facepalm:

Neither am I asking for an argument.

I asked a question, you haven't answered it, because I personally think Adams is quite weak defensively, Edj can be at times, Wood has been good.

I don't think anyone was moaning at RB being weak when we were doing well in November and start of December.

We have 2 good RBs for L1 level, who will improve, so no, we don't need another RB, there are better places we can invest what little money we have.

Clarke made a mistake, big deal, every player makes mistakes, but for all the stick he gets, as a team, we failed to score for about 89m, so blaming Clarke alone for the lose is quite pathetic.

covcity4life

im not blaming clarke alone, where have i said that?

see this is the problem, people are jumping on my back for no reason,i have never said its all clarkes fault,what i am saying is that i feel both our RB are not good enough right now,maybe in the future but not now

carlisle got 1 goal,due to clarke,had it it been 0-0 we would still have a point,it doesnt always work like that i know but we cant absolve him of any blame either

i agree that our defence isnt the most solid, edje can get caught out and wood always has a mistake in him,but overall they have been solid enough,adams sparked a winning run, his importance cannot be underestimated, if we have an equally adept right back the whole team will benefit

christie and clarke can be given another run later in the season or next year,im not saying sell them

Sky Blue Kid

SB Taylor...
4-4-2, as we have seen, or for some, should have seen, is that when we play 4-4-2, we struggle to make quality chances and we end up bypassing the CMs and not favouring our usual style

Why so aggressive with every one of your posts?....At least, that's how you come across to me!
"4-4-2, as we have seen, or for some, should have seen,"..............Who is this aimed at?
And what...exactly is our usual style?......No team should have a "Usual style" They should adapt to conditions, opposition, and our Strengths/disadvantages on any given day.....Remember AT failed because he didn't have a clue When, or how to change a system, make substitutions. He always tried to play "The passing game" sometimes this doesn't work! Preston on thursday being a prime example.

Mucca Mad Boys

SB Taylor...
4-4-2, as we have seen, or for some, should have seen, is that when we play 4-4-2, we struggle to make quality chances and we end up bypassing the CMs and not favouring our usual style

Why so aggressive with every one of your posts?....At least, that's how you come across to me!
"4-4-2, as we have seen, or for some, should have seen,"..............Who is this aimed at?
And what...exactly is our usual style?......No team should have a "Usual style" They should adapt to conditions, opposition, and our Strengths/disadvantages on any given day.....Remember AT failed because he didn't have a clue When, or how to change a system, make substitutions. He always tried to play "The passing game" sometimes this doesn't work! Preston on thursday being a prime example.

Aggressive? How!?

Aimed to...? People who think we should play 4-4fucking2 (thought I throw a bit of Mike Bassett in there!)

Everyone has their usual style, and of course we adapt to given problems e.g. PNE.

Mucca Mad Boys

im not blaming clarke alone, where have i said that?

see this is the problem, people are jumping on my back for no reason,i have never said its all clarkes fault,what i am saying is that i feel both our RB are not good enough right now,maybe in the future but not now

carlisle got 1 goal,due to clarke,had it it been 0-0 we would still have a point,it doesnt always work like that i know but we cant absolve him of any blame either

i agree that our defence isnt the most solid, edje can get caught out and wood always has a mistake in him,but overall they have been solid enough,adams sparked a winning run, his importance cannot be underestimated, if we have an equally adept right back the whole team will benefit

christie and clarke can be given another run later in the season or next year,im not saying sell them

That was a general statement to those who were pinning the blame on him v Carlisle.

I think you said it yourself, in your evaluation of Wood and Edj, which to me, suggests that we'll concede goals (a similar amount) even if we get a new RB. We haven't kept a clean sheet since Hartlepool away, it's more than RB, I think if we're going on needs, I think we should be looking to get a CB over a RB.

You can say we need a RB, but we have 2 decent RBs, but only 3 CBs (only 2 that are good enough tbf) and 1 LB, who's loan ends on Wednesday. We need to get our priorities straight and RB, despite mistakes, is not a priority, if Adams gets crocked, who plays there? If Edj gets injured, who plays there? I think you have to think about these before you come to conclusions.

covcity4life

i have thought about it,dont get aggressive like the other poster suggested

we do not have 2 decent RB's for the division this year, you think they are good enough and it seems nothing will change yuor mind

what have wood and edje done so wrong that makes you want to change them over 2 right abcks that have messed up in recent weeks?

it seems if you are young and from cov you have a free pass with you, football doesnt work like that kid,no room for sentiment.

clarke is not tall or strong enough to make it as a defender
christie does not have the decision making to make it........just yet

like i said in the future perhaps but i feel we need a right back if we want to win 13 from our last 19 matches

Sky Blue Kid

This post isn't aggressive then?:facepalm:

Sky Blue Kid

Aggressive? How!?

Aimed to...? People who think we should play 4-4fucking2 (thought I throw a bit of Mike Bassett in there!)

Everyone has their usual style, and of course we adapt to given problems e.g. PNE.

Because you believe 4-5-1 is the best system, it doesn't matter what others think eh?
PS....Benson and Hedges were not available:facepalm:

Mucca Mad Boys

Aggressive? How!?

Aimed to...? People who think we should play 4-4fecking2 (thought I throw a bit of Mike Bassett in there!)

Because you believe 4-5-1 is the best system, it doesn't matter what others think eh?
PS....Benson and Hedges were not available:facepalm:

Well, it has got us results... 4-4-2 hasn't so why would anyone think that's the formation we should play?

covcity4life

why would anyone think replacing centrebacks is more of a priority than replacing RB?

oh wait its only you saying that

Sky Blue Kid

If you actually care to read what others post instead of being "Wrapped up" in your own posts, you will see, others as well as myself have said LC isn't as good as McD to play up front alone. Imo is nowhere near as good.
I've suggested pushing McSheff/Elliot alongside him, rather than behind to give more options, rather than burning himself out chasing everything for ninety minutes plus.

Mucca Mad Boys

i have thought about it,dont get aggressive like the other poster suggested

we do not have 2 decent RB's for the division this year, you think they are good enough and it seems nothing will change yuor mind

what have wood and edje done so wrong that makes you want to change them over 2 right abcks that have messed up in recent weeks?

it seems if you are young and from cov you have a free pass with you, football doesnt work like that kid,no room for sentiment.

clarke is not tall or strong enough to make it as a defender
christie does not have the decision making to make it........just yet

like i said in the future perhaps but i feel we need a right back if we want to win 13 from our last 19 matches

That's your opinion, I'm not going to change that. But I'll ask questions of you nonetheless, after all, this is the point of a forum, is it not?

You say we don't have good RBs, fair enough, but I'll give you an example of a game where we conceded 2 goals, none were directly the RB's fault. MKD, Adams got ripped the whole 1st half, and he was accountable for the 1st goal, 2nd goal, Edj got turned inside out and Adams failed to make a block etc. etc. it is clear to me out problems don't just lie with RB. PNE, Holmes' goal came from the left, through the middle of the CBs, nothing to do with the RB here, again, another example of not just RB mistakes.

Believe me, I gave Clarke his fair share of stick in the past, I won't ever forget v Leicester under AB, but oh well, it's happened. I don't let off anyone if they make a mistake, anyone, regardless of age, place of birth etc. I give McSheff a lot of stick.

Interesting you say Clarke isn't tall or strong enough to be a defender, I guess this is another fundamental problem with English football, obsession with pace and size, if you look at the best RB (and arguably LB) in the world (forget the world XI, Dani Alves got dropped at one point this season), Phillip Lahm, 5"7 and looks a twig, fantastic defender and attacker, is he too small?

... Look, Clarke & Christie have made mistakes, but so have all of our other defenders, so yes, it goes further than RB.

Answer this, if we have 2 RBs of equal quality, but 1 LB, would you sign a new RB or LB, realistically, we will only be able to get a young RB on loan, so what would be the point of getting a new RB.

Our best bet would be to get a CB, who can play RB and hopefully LB (like Brown, just, not as shit) that is the most realistic option. But getting a specialised RB wouldn't be worthwhile IMO, especially as we have 1 LB.

P.s. I'd call it assertive, not aggressive.

Users who are viewing this thread