Welcome Mark Robbins (1 Viewer)

WillieStanley

The Barnsley fans seem quite mixed which would say to me that actually, on the whole, they liked him while he was there. Any manager who leaves a club will get people who will scream "better off without". It happens here all the time with the players, Westy and Juke both spring to mind. It's hard for some fans to take it on the chin and just say "It was good while it lasted".

Clean slate for him, the players, the staff and the fans. I shall be bitterly disappointed if I hear booing on Saturday.

Come on Marko (The inevitable cozy nickname?), get us out of this horrible, horrible league!!

hopesprings

Perhaps all we need now is to appoint a chairman called Hill! Then we will have the combination that took us from pretty much the same position in 1962. Frightening thought that we have come full circle in 50 years. Hope we don't get Kings Lyn in the cup!

stupot07

How is it a cheap option? I think it's our most realistic option. We are a league 1 club don't forget

He was out of work and reports suggest Ince was first choice but the club couldn't agree a contract, therefore he was second choice.

I'm well aware we are in league one.....what did Norwich and southampton do?? That's right they poached the manager they wanted, not who was out of a job.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

All things considered he appears a reasonable appointment. I just hope that we can begin to climb the table and regain some self-belief and respect again now. Over to you, Mr Robins

stupot07

Probably because nobody expected it to get any worse. We're now at the foot of the third tier.

What would you prefer?

Exactly, hindsight is a wonderful thing. We have brought in a manager who's never been promoted and has had a mindset of avoiding relegation in his last job.

dantheman

He was out of work and reports suggest Ince was first choice but the club couldn't agree a contract, therefore he was second choice.

I'm well aware we are in league one.....what did Norwich and southampton do?? That's right they poached the manager they wanted, not who was out of a job.

Robins was working in the Premier League hence the hold up.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Re Hodgson;
Look where he has managed abroad and look at my name. Ring any bells?
He might well have got us to the world cup, but the football was dreadful. Football is meant to be entertainment, not the win-at-any-cost-because-of-the-fecking-money that the sport has become.
Be honest; if it wasn't about the money, why are our owners SISU - a feckin hedge fund FFS. What has that got to do with football. What have foreign billionaires got to do with football. They shouldn't, but money has ruined the game.
For that reason alone I would be quite happy to support my team in the nether reagions of the non-league if that's what it takes to get these money-grabbing shits out of football.
END OF RANT

But surely if football nowadays is win at any cost, we need to play that way? Otherwise we'll be left behind, more than we already are at the moment. Times have changed and standard of football has moved on. Something we need to do!

It's about time we started matching other teams, playing the way other teams play against us. Ugly football if necessary. Anything to get us out this league

Skybluestu82

You simply cant compare the two, we are skint!

Granted he may have not been working in management but was working developing youth for the premier league as some club development manager. That alone speaks volumes.

Macca

Best of luck to him he ll have my full backing......but looking at bbc website he doesn't appear to have a startling record? Maybe I read it wrong

Gray

Best of luck to him he ll have my full backing......but looking at bbc website he doesn't appear to have a startling record? Maybe I read it wrong

he has a solid record just missed out on promotion with rotherham despite a 17 point deduction and kept barnsley in midtable,

Paxman II

Just watched breif interview on Sky and he seems to be aware this is a 'big' club he could not tiurn down as a new step up for him in building his career and development. he sounds like he fully intends to set about putting things right and he certainly looks like he has some street cred and coming from the premier league offices where he was enjoying his work he brings lots of stature...perhaps more than we may have thought.
I really wish him well and he seems bright and astute which will make a commendable change for us!

Look forward to see what changes he brings to the place...he certainly does not look like a lap dog....the guy's ambitious, he will want success which translates to good for us.

WillieStanley

I'm not sure if it's been posted, but this is what the Offal said:

Sky Blues unveil Mark Robins as the new manager of Coventry City
Mark Robins is the new manager of Coventry City Football Club.

The former Manchester United striker has signed a three-year-deal with the club after a three-week search for a new manager.

Robins, 42, has already developed a strong reputation in football as a manager after spells with Rotherham United and Barnsley.

He came close to taking the Millers to promotion in 2008/09 despite a 17-point deduction and when he left the following season, Rotherham were top of the table.

Robins was manager of Barnsley between 2009 and 2011 and maintained their Championship status before departing in May, last year.

He said: “This is a great opportunity. Coventry is a club with great tradition and, although we find ourselves in League One, the squad that has been assembled is better than the results so far have shown.

“I am relishing the opportunity to turn things around and bring better times for the Sky Blues supporters.

“There is a lot to be done and I will get straight to work with the players and backroom staff.”

Development director Steve Waggott said: “We are delighted to announce Mark Robins as our new manager.

“While we understand the supporters’ anxiety over recent results, this was an appointment that simply couldn’t be rushed because it is key to the short term and the long term of the football club.

“In fact, considering the thoroughness of the process, we are pleased that within three weeks we have been able to whittle down 75 candidates to the one outstanding man for the job and that was Mark, who was categorically our first choice.”

Richard Shaw and Lee Carsley will now revert to their roles as assistant manager and first team coach.

Waggott added: “We cannot thank Richard and Lee enough for their work over the past three weeks.”

Robins’ acceptance of his new role with the Sky Blues brings to an end a consultancy spell with the Premier League.

Robins had previously been working closely with a group of Premier League clubs on the Elite Player Performance Plan structure.

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/robins-announced-as-new-manager-378153.aspx

Otis

Feel uninspired by his appointment especially after reading the view from the Barnsley fans.

The negative comments about Robins aren't as bad as the negative comments about Ince and Brown so he has to be the right person for the job. ;)

When I trawled through the Barnsley forums most people said they thought he had done a good job.

Always get a few who will say otherwise.

I am very encouraged by his appointment.

covboy9

hes not scottish,scouse,demented,ugly,welsh,fat and hasnt got a head shaped like a potato. so hes an improvement on what weve had!!!! i'm happy

skybluelee

The Barnsley fans seem quite mixed which would say to me that actually, on the whole, they liked him while he was there. Any manager who leaves a club will get people who will scream "better off without". It happens here all the time with the players, Westy and Juke both spring to mind. It's hard for some fans to take it on the chin and just say "It was good while it lasted".

Clean slate for him, the players, the staff and the fans. I shall be bitterly disappointed if I hear booing on Saturday.

Come on Marko (The inevitable cozy nickname?), get us out of this horrible, horrible league!!

Robbo surely?

stupot07

You simply cant compare the two, we are skint!

Granted he may have not been working in management but was working developing youth for the premier league as some club development manager. That alone speaks volumes.

I know you can't compare the two, but before sacking Thorn plenty on here were quoting the impact of Norwich sacking Gunn and bringing in Lambert.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
"can't thank Richard and Lee enough"..... Really Waggott? A "Thanks lads" would be the last thing I'd be saying to them right now! Especially If those words were said last night!

And the number of applicants has increased again it seems. 75 applicants they had to trowl through now! Wonder who it was that kept getting the figure wrong?

I see he used to play for Leicester. Only bad point I can find mind

Users who are viewing this thread