We want to go home. (2 Viewers)

letsallsingtogether

I can explain how I find it a soulless shit hole, that doesn't mean it isn't for other people.
I just find the match day experience appalling, I have from day one. The fact it's a relatively new build in the middle of a brown field site makes it soulless for me. People go there from wherever they live, spend very little time in the vicinity and leave fairly soon after the match. I remember at HR you could go for a pint after and you'd bump in to different people from different areas you knew for a catch up. Rarely happens at the Ricoh.

That's my experience, though we'd still be back there in a shot if I had my way.
But why is it a shithole?
Really whether you like the Ricoh or not you cannot say that SA is a better ground roof leaks seats are cheap and nasty half lean to one side when sat on them and are really thin.Toilets are still back in the 70's.
Just my view of course I dont drink before home games anymore so the pubs dont matter to me.

Gynnsthetonic

I just hate bowl shaped football stadiums,. Take a look at the Opel Arena of FC Mainz in Germany, 4 sided and the side stand looks a carbon copy of the Sky Blue Stand,the corners are constructed of glass with one corner in view of the city of Mainz, it definitely does not look like a soulless bowl.

chiefdave

Will just be that whatever site that is hasn't updated their system to show our home ground as St Andrews, unless there's a screenshot from earlier in the season showing St Andrews as our ground.

torchomatic

The ricoh isnt the best but it's in Coventry and not small heath in shit brum. Being an outsider though I guess you don't really care if we play in Coventry or not.

My first City match was 28th October 1972, my 7th birthday. I lived in Southam.

I have been going ever since, been a season ticket holder for decades. I have never lived in Coventry. As an 'outsider', do you think I care or not?

clint van damme

But why is it a shithole?
Really whether you like the Ricoh or not you cannot say that SA is a better ground roof leaks seats are cheap and nasty half lean to one side when sat on them and are really thin.Toilets are still back in the 70's.
Just my view of course I dont drink before home games anymore so the pubs dont matter to me.

Shit hole is just an expression. I would describe all the generic bowls that have popped in the last 25years the same.

Again, if people like the place fair enough, each to their own.

The coventrian

I have been going ever since, been a season ticket holder for decades. I have never lived in Coventry. As an 'outsider', do you think I care or not?
Yeah you care about the club but you'll never have the same Coventry kid/club bond as us born and bred here have. That's not me having a go but you just never will. I'll bet your not really bothered if we play back in Coventry or not.

Limey

It was shit. Fucking pole in your view all the time. Knees banging on the seat in front. Fucking ages to get into and out of. No chance of any food or drinks at HT, no parking for miles. Walking back as a kid past prozzies. Mismatched stands.

I suspect the difference is between people who go to drink and people who don’t. Me and Otis aren’t drinkers and prefer the Ricoh.

We always found a parking spot along the Humber road. Couple of pints en route.

Highfield road was glorious. It was a proper home.

The concourse in the stadium was far better than the Ricoh slab.

BUT, if we could truly make the Ricoh our own, it could be great. It needs us to take hold of it and make it Coventry through and through. I totally bought into the 'Arena 2000' idea. It's soul destroying what's happened.

Tommo1993

So it’s a pretty stadium to look at, but general consensus is the atmosphere there is always god awful with the exception of a very few games.

The coventrian

Got taken to Derby a couple of times - have to say the concourse at the Ricoh is far bigger , there are more food and drink outlets ( however performance of the staff can nullify this) the vomitries ( :) are also easier to access in and out at the Ricoh ( MK dons is the same extra stairs and turns to get out ) , the seats also had more room than Stans and mine was padded - i felt the major problem with the Ricoh is that you are looking on to the very empty looking main stand and of course the robbery that is the parking situation - Green my arse - when we had a decent crowd it was clearly better - i would like to go back - its double travel time at Stans although as peeps above the parking is ace
Stans ffs. Cringe.

DannyThomas_1981

It's not pretty to look at, it has no character at all. Just a standard bowl. Nothing to make it stand out.

I can't get to many live games but I thought last season when I visited the Ricoh that the atmosphere was actually ok and much more positive.
Admittedly around this time last year when the team was doing ok.
So I don't automatically think it takes a big crowd to create a decent atmosphere - as an example the atmosphere for the community days is not usually that great.
The team doing well on the pitch is a big factor and we haven't really had that much to cheer since we moved to the Ricoh.
Last season I felt that with the team making progress that a decent atmosphere was starting to happen. I think this season would have been similar.
We should obviously never have left HR given all that followed and the place is important for those of us who grew up watching football there - but taking away the nostalgia it was far from a utopia for watching a match.
I really enjoyed my day out last month at St Andrews but I understand why it makes life far more difficult for those who go to every match.

Gynnsthetonic

You’ve got Coventry in your heart and have as much affiliation than some Coventry born folk ever will. I’m Coventry born and bred and still live here but have always classed us as Coventry and Warwickshire!

Irish Sky Blue

You’ve got Coventry in your heart and have as much affiliation than some Coventry born folk ever will. I’m Coventry born and bred and still live here but have always classed us as Coventry and Warwickshire!
I’d agree with this. I have never really liked the way the City was “moved” into the West Midlands. When I was growing up our address was Coventry, Warwickshire. I think the city and the county go together.

The coventrian

No he hasn't. This is a poster who once said he wouldn't be seen dead in Coventry on a non match day. The only thing I have in common with him is that he supports my city's football club.

Moff

Yeah you care about the club but you'll never have the same Coventry kid/club bond as us born and bred here have. That's not me having a go but you just never will. I'll bet your not really bothered if we play back in Coventry or not.

What fucking horseshit.
I bet in your deluded mentality people who don't live in the city anymore aren't as Gold Star Top Marks Super Fans like you.

Adge

From Alex Craig on Twitter:

I miss this place. The pub. The People. The walk to the ground. The walk up the steps seeing that view I’ve seen since the age of 3, in a ground never a good atmosphere but if it was rocking, it was rocking. I’ve attended every game this season. It don’t feel the same.

Nothing against St Andrews good proper ground. But I’d honestly rather finish bottom of League One this season and play at the Ricoh than top with St. Andrews. I met Hundreds (no over doing it) of people, mosy who I call my friends. Other than that Sanjay lad who’s a right t**t

On a personal level. Without Coventry City I don’t think I’d be in such a good place mentally as I am now. Don’t know why I’m tweeting this at 2am. But whatever happens I know in my head. I’ll one day go to a match in coventry. See them people. Sing our songs. Maybe walk home.

I don’t enjoy getting a train,Coach to a so called “home game” when I walked with my dad from the age of 3. I still can’t get over us playing in Birmingham.

In 2009 I saw us play Chelsea,Leicester and Leeds. Yet in 2019 I’ve seen us draw 0-0 with Forest Green Rovers, Walsall and Burton Albion. I don’t care what league we are in come to think of it. As long as we play in coventry. I’m happy.
Some fans don’t get how lucky they are Arsenal,United and Everton all moaning. When We’ve not played at home since April. Bury haven’t played at all since May. And Bolton started the season on -12 points and a team full of U21s players.

I’ve been every game this season. League and Cup games. Yet I feel I’ve not seen my team play in ages. I miss the Ricoh. It was never full. But full of Loyal Cov fans.

@WaspsRugby
(London)
@EFL
hope your extremely proud of yourselves. Because some city supporters will never see there team play in Coventry again. That breaks my heart
my heart

We all know it’s a sad state of affairs but I think he needs to realise that there is more important things than football.
Seems to be ok when a phone is infront of his face every weekend-doesn’t appear to be in much distress then.

Grendel

No he hasn't. This is a poster who once said he wouldn't be seen dead in Coventry on a non match day. The only thing I have in common with him is that he supports my city's football club.
Nor would I it’s shite

torchomatic

Fuck off with the Cov Kid shit.

pusbccfc

People of Coventry will slate everything and anything about the city and that includes the Ricoh.

There are towns and cities all over the country worse than Coventry, especially over the past few years. The same way there are plenty worse stadia as well.

A lot of football fans dislike their stadium. I remember a couple of years ago a huge thread on the Leicester forum slating their ground even though it was full every week and in a better location than the Ricoh is.

The one big thing you notice going to the away matches in League 1 and 2 is the total lack of atmosphere. I have been to plenty of grounds where a song has not been sung all game from home supporters. Barnsley, Barnet, and Stevenage notable ones. Even this season, Peterborough barely made a noise, neither did Rotherham or Burton.

Users who are viewing this thread