We want to go home. (2 Viewers)

Otis

No there really isn’t... there’s about 3 decent places.

But as I said, it’s a £5 train journey to Birmingham and back to get all of this on a bigger scale. The shopping centre is great and you can make a day of it. Broad street alone has better and more bars than the whole of Coventry

Growing up in Coventry was literally going on the same route every Saturday night. But there is no other reason to go to the city centre
Of course Birmingham is better. There are things to do in Coventry though. It's definitely getting better.

I am not a drinker, so I don't know about good or bad pubs in the city, but there are lots of other things going on too now.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Of course Birmingham is better. There are things to do in Coventry though. It's definitely getting better.

I am not a drinker, so I don't know about good or bad pubs in the city, but there are lots of other things going on too now.
its another reason I dislike the council - they’ve allowed the city centre to stagnate, the shopping has disappeared

you could easily spend a whole day in Birmingham, and it’s the ease of getting to it.

I was angered when they joined the combined authority because, let’s face it, investment is going to continue to Birmingham.

the wave is a good start, but when you’ve attracted mainly students to the area - it’s key you tailor things for them. The council just haven’t done that

Tommo1993

Very Royston Vasey. Local football for local people.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
giphy.gif

Tubbs, Tubbs, what’s all this shouting, we’ll have no trouble here!

Otis

its another reason I dislike the council - they’ve allowed the city centre to stagnate, the shopping has disappeared

you could easily spend a whole day in Birmingham, and it’s the ease of getting to it.

I was angered when they joined the combined authority because, let’s face it, investment is going to continue to Birmingham.

the wave is a good start, but when you’ve attracted mainly students to the area - it’s key you tailor things for them. The council just haven’t done that
They have with the gaming cafe and there is another one to come too. That will be a real draw for students.

torchomatic

I’d agree with this. I have never really liked the way the City was “moved” into the West Midlands. When I was growing up our address was Coventry, Warwickshire. I think the city and the county go together.

Ah yes, 1974; I can just about remember the furore over it.

torchomatic

No he hasn't. This is a poster who once said he wouldn't be seen dead in Coventry on a non match day. The only thing I have in common with him is that he supports my city's football club.

Not true. I still go to Cov quite a lot with the family, even though YOUR football team no longer play there. Fargo is one of my favourite places.

torchomatic

Swear there’s some serious rose tinted glasses going on with HR. It was like a graveyard most weeks.

But it was OUR graveyard.

MTK

Football aside, because some of it has been fantastic to watch, I am not really enjoying the St Andrews’s experience. The things that make it unenjoyable probably reflect me and where I am in life, but they are what they are and I can only see their impact increasing. And talking to others, I don’t think I am alone.

Not into pre and post match drinking these days for example, which I can see is miles better in Birmingham. I hate getting stuck in traffic on the A45 or M6 and that pretty horrible St Andrews car park with the stinky skips I paid £100 for (my choice not to risk street parking I know). I know we are not driving to the other side of the country and back, but my journey to and from the Ricoh took just minutes. I hate that you can’t take in a flask with some coffee or hot chocolate for half time when it’s cold. I really hate the turnstiles - any woman who isn’t a twiglet will know what I mean.

The atmosphere at the Ricoh wasn’t fantastic but where I sat, I sang through the game and really enjoyed that. Rarely sing at St Andrews. There is some singing from the corner but it rarely catches on properly. Only when I go to away games and I’m singing do I really enjoy the match day experience these days.

If we do get promoted and are still at St Andrews I will undoubtedly renew my season ticket. I won’t be able to resist it. If we don’t, probably not. It’s a real dilemma for me because football and the Sky Blues are effectively a 50 year+ love affair for me. I don’t entirely blame SISU because there is no way they could or should have signed the deal offered by Wasps with that apparent indemnity clause. And that being the case we are fortunate to have another ground to play at or we could have no club at all.

But I dIdn’t go to the Southampton U23s game last week because another annoyance is the rush to get there after work for evening games. It’s a sign that the annoyances are starting to win with me.

The coventrian

Going out on a limb here: likes Farage, voted to leave EU, doesn't like 'outsiders' in HIS city.
No your talking shit. I never voted leave and I'd never vote for Farage. Your just a stereotypical left winger that cant stand anymore else's opinions that don't match yours. You still haven't answered the question I see.

torchomatic

No your talking shit. I never voted leave and I'd never vote for Farage. Your just a stereotypical left winger that cant stand anymore else's opinions that don't match yours. You still haven't answered the question I see.

What question?

Liquid Gold

Not true.

So.....

Cinema
Ice skating rink
Climbing wall
Escape room
Massive gaming centre (only the second site after London)
Crazy golf place
The Wave waterpark
Two very good museums
Two theatres
Loads of places to eat
Loads of places to drink
Everything that any half decent place in the UK has apart from possibly the waterpark. Residents of Cov have accepted the advancement to mediocrity as an achievement.

Otis

Everything that any half decent place in the UK has apart from possibly the waterpark. Residents of Cov have accepted the advancement to mediocrity as an achievement.
I am not arguing that point. I am merely arguing there IS stuff to do and it is is definitely getting better.

The development at the old Pink Parrot should help too.

Liquid Gold

Also the argument about student flats isn't specific to coventry. There is a thriving centre here and people are always moaning about new student apartments. They get them built because they're such high density they can make loads of money out of them but with so many people packed in it brings the urban population up who are looking for something to do on their downtime.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

They have with the gaming cafe and there is another one to come too. That will be a real draw for students.

Yeah it really is nice seeing student accommodation all over the skyline and indeed all over the place. The city is turning into a generic place that is losing touch with its past.

peace ndlovu

I live in the Middle East so generally only go to games in August when I’m back in the uk.
First game at the Ricoh was home against Sunderland in 2006. Thought the atmosphere was great.
There’s been a few times since, when the atmosphere hadn’t been so good and I get a bit nostalgic about games at HR from my childhood like gubbing Liverpool 4-0, the superb atmosphere at those squeaky bum stay up games etc.
Wish i was at the last game at HR against Derby which looked incredible, but I wasn’t.
My last game was during a rare Christmas visit home against Watford.
Even though we won 1-0, the atmosphere was shite.
The move to the Ricoh has coincided with a pretty dreadful (and prolonged) period in our history.
I’m convinced that had the last 14 years been happier and more successful, we’d be much more positive about the Ricoh and less rose tinted about HR.
I’m still hopeful we get the franchise insects the fuck out of Coventry, and build some more happy memories.
Then it will feel more like home.

torchomatic

I love Fargo.*

*When it is busy. When it is dead it is truly dead.

Makes no difference to me. I love the shops there, the places to eat and drink.

torchomatic

You couldn't really give a toss if we play in Coventry or not.

Not true. I would love us to be back in Coventry. It's as inconvenient for me as it is to others to travel to St Andrews. I would rather we were back in our own stadium sans Wasps, but I would go back to the Ricoh tomorrow, although I don't particuarly like the place.

Johnnythespider

Yeah it really is nice seeing student accommodation all over the skyline and indeed all over the place. The city is turning into a generic place that is losing touch with its past.
It lost touch with it's past in the 50s, i think most of the buildings going up are brightening the city centre up, highlighting how shit most of what was there already is.

theferret

Most of the student accommodation is being built on unused, often derelict brownfield sites. It isn't being built 'instead' of anything else, it is a simple case of supply and demand, and the increased footfall will only spur on other developments that the whole city can benefit from. There are also several large residential schemes nearing completion as well as investment in leisure and retail (finally).

I use the city centre more than ever. 15 years ago I had little reason to use it at all. Yesterday, I went to view a new office in town which I have decided to take. What struck me was just how alive town was on a weekday. The students bring a lot in my opinion, wealth and diversity (the Chinese students particularly have lots of disposable income). There is a buzz about the place which wasn't there a decade ago, and with construction sites everywhere there is a real sense of a place on the move.

Now that the precinct development is underway, the one area where the city continues to struggle (retail) may finally start to improve also.

Have some pride in the city, it is on the verge of a major boom imo.

Brighton Sky Blue

Most of the student accommodation is being built on unused, often derelict brownfield sites. It isn't being built 'instead' of anything else, it is a simple case of supply and demand, and the increased footfall will only spur on other developments that the whole city can benefit from. There are also several large residential schemes nearing completion as well as investment in leisure and retail (finally).

I use the city centre more than ever. 15 years ago I had little reason to use it at all. Yesterday, I went to view a new office in town which I have decided to take. What struck me was just how alive town was on a weekday. The students bring a lot in my opinion, wealth and diversity (the Chinese students particularly have lots of disposable income). There is a buzz about the place which wasn't there a decade ago, and with construction sites everywhere there is a real sense of a place on the move.

Now that the precinct development is underway, the one area where the city continues to struggle (retail) may finally start to improve also.

I still have pride in it, but less than I once did. I just think the city has lost its distinctiveness over time and in rushing to embrace student accommodation and chain restaurants it’s become more of a carbon copy. During uni holidays you’ll notice the difference more.

Oh and the Wasps adverts around the place to remind us of the imported rugby team occupying the Ricoh.

hill83

It's the same route Nottingham took years back and it worked for them.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Herford Street is one of the worst streets of any city centre of the UK, and I've seen some bad ones. Why spend money on opening it up to broadgate rather than spend money on demolishing the whole thing and starting again ?

theferret

I still have pride in it, but less than I once did. I just think the city has lost its distinctiveness over time and in rushing to embrace student accommodation and chain restaurants it’s become more of a carbon copy. During uni holidays you’ll notice the difference more.

Oh and the Wasps adverts around the place to remind us of the imported rugby team occupying the Ricoh.

What distinctiveness was this? The crumbling remnants of failed post-war regeneration?

Also, embracing the success of our two fine universities should be celebrated. People seem to forget a lot of the regeneration is not student driven. The Belgrade is being renovated, the CT building converted to a boutique hotel, a second new hotel at Friargate, a new station building, a water park, plans to regenerate the Burges, the precinct, the renovation of the co-op building, new residential buildings on the transco site and gulson road, a new residential tower at Belgrade Plaza, Drapers Hall is being renovated, more new units at CL, independent bars and restaurants opening, plus eye-sores like Coventry Point are being demolished. All of these are retail, residential and leisure schemes that are not student led, but perhaps are made more viable with the increased city centre population.

Users who are viewing this thread