We need a bit of luck (1 Viewer)

SAJ

We need fit strikers who are actually at the level if we don’t get Godden and walker back soon we’re in trouble as tonight showed we can have al the service in the world we need players who are good at the end of them...
We keep on going on about Godden scoring goals. This season he has played 10 minutes less than Biamou and they both have 4 goals. The problem is at the other end of the pitch. Last night for example the defending on both goals was amateurish. Generally this has been a common theme for most of the season. Games simple if you don’t concede you don’t lose.

cc84cov

We keep on going on about Godden scoring goals. This season he has played 10 minutes less than Biamou and they both have 4 goals. The problem is at the other end of the pitch. Last night for example the defending on both goals was amateurish. Generally this has been a common theme for most of the season. Games simple if you don’t concede you don’t lose.
Were going on anoht Godden and walker as it’s clear as day their on a different leve to max or Baka as last night proved for anyone struggling with it

SAJ

Dont buy this luck thing, evens it self out, we have had major bits of luck also (wycombe away last min injury time equaliser chalked off for offside).

Naive (at this level) and luck are 2 different things.
Got to agree with this. Last night on our goal many refs would have given a foul on the half way line against us. It wasn’t given and I can guarantee Forest fans we’re bemoaning their luck.

Grendel

An offside goal being correctly ruled offside is hardly luck.

The one I do remember in our favour is a stonewall penalty for a challenge by Hyam vs Derby which was somehow missed. Arguably Østigård got away with one vs Reading too but that made no difference anyway.

Even Robins admitted it wasn’t offside

SAJ

Were going on anoht Godden and walker as it’s clear as day their on a different leve to max or Baka as last night proved for anyone struggling with it
I’m not disputing both Godden and Walker are far better players and goalscorers that’s a given. The point I’m making if you don’t concede amateurish goals you tend to win or draw.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

You can't say we didn't go for it last night? Changing formation at half-time whilst drawing?

I was quite surprised he made the changes, but in the interview afterwards he said it was to nullify their attack. A midfielder and defender off for two defenders is hardly going for it though, is it?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I keep repeating this and I'm going to keep repeating it until it sinks in.

We have scored more goals than 8 other teams.
We have conceded more than all but 2 others.
Defence is our major issue (Not that there aren't problems going forward).

We constantly concede sloppy goals and give away silly penalties. It has to stop.

It does have to stop, but we are so nervous about conceding partly due to the fact we cannot score goals I think.

There were a few 3-2 results earlier in the season that skew the stats possibly. Even though I agree with your point in that we are conceding a ridiculous amount of stupid goals, our ability to score them is more concerning for me personally.

clint van damme

It does have to stop, but we are so nervous about conceding partly due to the fact we cannot score goals I think.

There were a few 3-2 results earlier in the season that skew the stats possibly. Even though I agree with your point in that we are conceding a ridiculous amount of stupid goals, our ability to score them is more concerning for me personally.

Though I get your point about nervousness There are times when it's just rank bad defending.
2nd goal last night was an absolute cluster fuck.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Though I get your point about nervousness There are times when it's just rank bad defending.
2nd goal last night was an absolute cluster fuck.

It made me laugh out loud, genuinely.

As soon as the ball was launched in it just had that feel about it that something calamitous was about to happen.

Brighton Sky Blue

Clearances off the line are as annoying as fuck but it's not unlucky, just opposition defenders being switched on. Though it did take the piss when Sheff Weds player got hit in the face perfectly on the goal line without realising

SeaSeeEffCee

Clearances off the line are as annoying as fuck but it's not unlucky, just opposition defenders being switched on. Though it did take the piss when Sheff Weds player got hit in the face perfectly on the goal line without realising
Especially the ones from the Ostigard headers. We literally do the exact same move on 90% of our set pieces so it's hardly a surprise that the opposition defence are switched on to it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Especially the ones from the Ostigard headers. We literally do the exact same move on 90% of our set pieces so it's hardly a surprise that the opposition defence are switched on to it.

The free kick routine at the end was interesting, would be nice to see a few different routines tried as well as the standard

Legia Sky Blue

This is where our forwards need to show more awareness though. If the opposition are keeping a man on the line to cover Ostigaard's headers then Biamou or Gyokeres should be pushing onto that last defender. If either of them are stood near Grabban last night they would have had every chance of a simple nod in.

Frostie

Definitely need to do some work on set pieces.

Having looked really useful from them in the opening few games (particularly thinking of QPR when McFadz scored & we could have had many more), we don't truly look threatening from them at all anymore.

Brighton Sky Blue

Definitely need to do some work on set pieces.

Having looked really useful from them in the opening few games (particularly thinking of QPR when McFadz scored & we could have had many more), we don't truly look threatening from them at all anymore.

It's very much just hope that Osti buries the header, which he hasn't done once this season

shmmeee

Agree with this... We need Walker & Godden back 😉

My concern is that we have played over the half season, and the soft goals / daft pens have not stopped... So why will they onwards?

A lot of our sloppy goals/pens have come from players just playing their first few Championship games. Wilson gave two pens away, Rose one when he first came back and an OG last night, Biamou with his sloppy pass, Sheaf once or twice early on I think, even Fadz and Hyam early on. Arguably Pask last night as well.

We’ve had a steady stream of players either stepping up or coming back rusty from injury that hasn’t helped, but you look at the players who have been there most of the season and generally they’re much more assured than they were six months ago. Rose will be quality when he settles. James has much needed Championship experience.

All that said, my priorities in the summer would be GK, LCB, CB, LWB in that order before I even worried about the other end of the pitch.

shmmeee

We’ve got probably our best set piece takers we’ve had in years and some of our best headers of a ball, criminal how few we score from set pieces.

Londonccfcfan

A lot of our sloppy goals/pens have come from players just playing their first few Championship games. Wilson gave two pens away, Rose one when he first came back and an OG last night, Biamou with his sloppy pass, Sheaf once or twice early on I think, even Fadz and Hyam early on. Arguably Pask last night as well.

We’ve had a steady stream of players either stepping up or coming back rusty from injury that hasn’t helped, but you look at the players who have been there most of the season and generally they’re much more assured than they were six months ago. Rose will be quality when he settles. James has much needed Championship experience.

All that said, my priorities in the summer would be GK, LCB, CB, LWB in that order before I even worried about the other end of the pitch.

Lol I love how Biamous back pass on half way line is to be blamed for a penalty conceded by Mcfadz.

When Ostigard should have cleaned out Lyle Taylor on half way line and should have taken booking. Even then Mcfadz didn't need to take down Lyle Taylor.

TomRad85

Lol I love how Biamous back pass on half way line is to be blamed for a penalty conceded by Mcfadz.

When Ostigard should have cleaned out Lyle Taylor on half way line and should have taken booking. Even then Mcfadz didn't need to take down Lyle Taylor.
Because it was Biamous fault. McFadz didn't deal with it too well but ridiculous that he ended up in that position in the first place, because of Biamou.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

That's the thing, so many goals haven't been through one error they've been a combination of 2 or 3.
As Shmmeee said though, we are very inexperienced at this level

stupot07

Because it was Biamous fault. McFadz didn't deal with it too well but ridiculous that he ended up in that position in the first place, because of Biamou.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Biamou gave the ball away sloppily in the oppositions half. There are so many things that were wrong in addition to that pass its ridiculous to purely blame Biamou.

We'd pushed far too high, the midfield is nowhere, Rose has come all away across to a wing back position, da Costa isn't even in the picture he was that high up. We're in the closing minutes away from home with a result to see out. We should never have been pushed up that high. Osti should have taken him out, McFadzean didn't need to foul him, the keeper should have come out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

Biamou gave the ball away sloppily in the oppositions half. There are so many things that were wrong in addition to that pass its ridiculous to purely blame Biamou.

We'd pushed far too high, the midfield is nowhere, Rose has come all away across to a wing back position, da Costa isn't even in the picture he was that high up. We're in the closing minutes away from home with a result to see out. We should never have been pushed up that high. Osti should have taken him out, McFadzean didn't need to foul him, the keeper should have come out.

Blame Biamou. Lol

steve101

I mean, all of the penalties we've given away?

All of the injuries we've had.

Even in games, when we miss easy chances, we seem to get no 'rub of the green' (one for the modern football terminology thread!).

Maybe, it will even itself out in the second half of the season? Maybe we will scab a draw somewhere at top of the league? Or even a smash and grab win? Maybe a couple of dodgy penalties given our way wouldent go amiss!?

It's a cliché but it's true, the luck goes against you at the bottom of the table

I used to wear a pair of lucky socks on matchdays. They were pretty old and had holes in them but they had a good record! I think it was the Reading game when I finally ripped them apart and binned them. Also, my dad refuses to watch us the last few games as he says 'we always lose when I watch us'. He never watched today mind and were on Sky on Saturday so there's no excuse.
I agree. Against Forest there were so many deliveries that were just inches away from their target. We battered them but nothing fell our way. If the Baka challenge happened the other way around we would probably have been penalised with a penalty!
Some of the injuries have been bizarre and unfortunately haven't been helped by the need to get players back ahead of time.
I also think we have had bad luck with red cards - compare Hamer's flick to the face after being pushed in the chest v the blatant kick out he received against Forest which went unpunished.
Hopefully the squad will be tighter through adversity and it would be nice to see one or two youngsters step up and show some promise.

fernandopartridge

We were going to try and win the game, and we had the ball in the final third. Biamou made the equivalent of a defence splitting pass to change the game completely

cc84cov

This squad should be good enough to stay up if it doesn’t the blame lies with one man regardless of injuries this window was the one to make sure we have the goals to do the job,

Seems we are pinning our hopes on walker proving himself at this level and staying fit consistently,I think Goddens season is all but done tbh

KersleyDigs

Re luck; loads of our opponents have been given soft pens, got away with fouls in the box and escaped red cards. I really don't think we get much from the officials, they seem to make decisions based on assumptions/reputation too often.
My big worry is that if we ever get a pen, we'll miss it. 100% of pens against have been scored.
Deeney has scored SEVEN goals this season, ALL penalties. Imagine getting 7 penalties!!!

Frostie

Re luck; loads of our opponents have been given soft pens, got away with fouls in the box and escaped red cards. I really don't think we get much from the officials, they seem to make decisions based on assumptions/reputation too often.
My big worry is that if we ever get a pen, we'll miss it. 100% of pens against have been scored.
Deeney has scored SEVEN goals this season, ALL penalties. Imagine getting 7 penalties!!!

I do think we've been unfortunate more often than not for sure.

Re: Watford they've actually had 8 penalties & scored them all.
Deeney 6 (1 open play goal)
Sarr (against us) & João Pedro 1 each

Deeney blasts every single one down the centre yet still has a 100% record.

Does that mean we're unlucky & they're lucky though? Not necessarily... The more threat you offer in the box the more you're likely to draw fouls there.
There have been a couple we arguably should have had on top of the one we have received so far though.

KenilworthSkyBlue

This squad should be good enough to stay up if it doesn’t the blame lies with one man regardless of injuries this window was the one to make sure we have the goals to do the job,

Seems we are pinning our hopes on walker proving himself at this level and staying fit consistently,I think Goddens season is all but done tbh

We'll see. At the point of injury, Robins suggested that it's likely Godden would be out anywhere between 2-3 months, which in both scenarios still leaves games to play. But then you have to take into consideration the amount of time it would take him to get fully match fit. Which means it would probably be a further 3 weeks before he's starting games on a regular basis due to how long he's been out.

The prognosis certainly doesn't sound good though - and it's clear that he needs an elongated time out this time to make sure he's able to fully shake this injury off.

cc84cov

We'll see. At the point of injury, Robins suggested that it's likely Godden would be out anywhere between 2-3 months, which in both scenarios still leaves games to play. But then you have to take into consideration the amount of time it would take him to get fully match fit. Which means it would probably be a further 3 weeks before he's starting games on a regular basis due to how long he's been out.

The prognosis certainly doesn't sound good though - and it's clear that he needs an elongated time out this time to make sure he's able to fully shake this injury off.
Sure he’s always been plagued by another injury too he seems a slow healer,Walker has immense pressure to deliver or we could be in trouble,I do feel tho walker will do what we need if he stays fit.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Sure he’s always been plagued by another injury too he seems a slow healer,Walker has immense pressure to deliver or we could be in trouble,I do feel tho walker will do what we need if he stays fit.

No evidence that he's a slow healer. Didn't he come back from his injury far quicker than was initially forecasted last season? I think in this case it's just an injury that's especially difficult to shake off and Robins risked him when he shouldn't have.

Users who are viewing this thread