We didn't play Saturday - but what a day! (1 Viewer)

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
You realise that the 6K who go are not the same 6K every week? I know people who went to the opening game and haven't been back. I was with 2 people last Tuesday going to their first game. I know someone who was at Bristol Rovers and Gillingham but none of the other games. The point is, many more than 6K have attended games at SA. Of course, the 12K at the Ricoh last season wasn't the same 12K every week either, so it's relative I guess, but it's worth noting that many more than 6K are prepared to travel.
Were they all away fans you were hanging around with and that’s why they’ve not been back

peace ndlovu

And if it doesn’t? I mean no one outside of people having wet dreams in this forum is seriously talking about Wasps going bust next year. And even if they do that just means the council will need to ask for a higher rent or possibly the whole place goes pop and no one gets it. Also Sisu have said at every opportunity they don’t want the stadium. It’s only financially viable if they distress the owners through court action and leave them no options. If Wasps go bust the whole court case falls apart and we are back to square one.

amazes me that so many out their bitterness towards wasps ahead of wanting to have their club back. Tactically it’s a mess, morally it’s a mess (imagine Birmingham fans wishing us gone so they didn’t have to share Stans), it just strikes me as wish fulfilment rather than a serious plan for our club.

I suspect you’re right that Wasps going tits is wishful thinking. I also agree that would not necessarily be a magic wand to this clusterfuck of a situation re the Ricoh.
But I don’t see why you have misconstrued a lot of enmity towards Wasps as being more important than wanting Coventry City back in Coventry. Maybe some posters have there priorities in that order but I don’t know who they are. I’m surprised that you are amazed by the distaste for Wasps. Suggesting our fans are morally wrong for wanting Wasps out of Coventry is a) a bit ironic and b) a bit naive given what has happened - from them being in cahoots with the council before we even began the Northampton exile to the recent insistence that the club are indemnified if the European court decides that the council did indeed act improperly.

fernandopartridge

I suspect you’re right that Wasps going tits is wishful thinking. I also agree that would not necessarily be a magic wand to this clusterfuck of a situation re the Ricoh.
But I don’t see why you have misconstrued a lot of enmity towards Wasps as being more important than wanting Coventry City back in Coventry. Maybe some posters have there priorities in that order but I don’t know who they are. I’m surprised that you are amazed by the distaste for Wasps. Suggesting our fans are morally wrong for wanting Wasps out of Coventry is a) a bit ironic and b) a bit naive given what has happened - from them being in cahoots with the council before we even began the Northampton exile to the recent insistence that the club are indemnified if the European court decides that the council did indeed act improperly.

He can't help it, he knows he can't directly defend the indefensible actions of the council in selling the city's football club out so makes it an emotional argument about poor innocent Wasps.

Irish Sky Blue

I don't disagree with any of that. My point was would you support 1 more season out of the City if it got rid of wasps and meant we had the Ricoh back.
If you could guarantee that Wasps would clear off and that that would mean that the club would own the Ricoh I would agree. I am not sure that CCFC being absent would ever been enough of a financial blow to finish off Wasps how ever long we were away. Are we guaranteed to get the stadium if they do go? If the stadium ends up in the hands os Sisu, will they be benevolent owners with regard to CCFC?

Irish Sky Blue

You realise that the 6K who go are not the same 6K every week? I know people who went to the opening game and haven't been back. I was with 2 people last Tuesday going to their first game. I know someone who was at Bristol Rovers and Gillingham but none of the other games. The point is, many more than 6K have attended games at SA. Of course, the 12K at the Ricoh last season wasn't the same 12K every week either, so it's relative I guess, but it's worth noting that many more than 6K are prepared to travel.
Yes, I would agree with you. However, I would think the same hard core 4k to 5k are more or less the same with others who float in or out. As you say, if we averaged 15k at the Ricoh the aggragate number of attendees would be a lot greater. The point remains the same, that is that a lot of City fans have voted with their feet and for whatever reason are not attending at St Andrews. The majority, if not all of these, want our club back in our city.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

We all agree that we need to be in Coventry - I think that’s a given.
Do we really want to be tied to any partnership that includes the Wasps? I don’t think so - no trust on either side.
Also IrishSkyBlue I don’t think anyone goes to St Andrews “reluctantly” I think we all go with the view that we are supporting our team & club and right now the atmosphere and camaraderie is better than it’s been for years and I think that’s because we are making the considerable effort to make the trip every week.
I do feel sympathy for those who wish not to attend for in my view they don’t quite know what they are missing - quality entertaining winning football by OUR team in Sky Blue.
I think you can differentiate between enthusiastically supporting the team while being upset at where we have to play. I still look forward to watching the team play, I don’t like having to do that at St Andrews. Nothing to do with St Andrews, which is a good traditional ground. Everything to do with the fact that it is not in Coventry and that we are playing in front of 6k to 10k less fans than we would at the Ricoh.

ccfc1234

If you could guarantee that Wasps would clear off and that that would mean that the club would own the Ricoh I would agree. I am not sure that CCFC being absent would ever been enough of a financial blow to finish off Wasps how ever long we were away. Are we guaranteed to get the stadium if they do go? If the stadium ends up in the hands os Sisu, will they be benevolent owners with regard to CCFC?
I agree to a large extent. I am hoping wasps have a poor season themselves which would draw lower attendances and increase their funding shortfall.
I don't honestly see SISU building a stadium (especially with planning issues due to council relations) so Ricoh is their only option.

Terry Gibson's perm

If the London side lost the ground (is it still the Ricoh) there are only two options knock it down or get us back it’s not like they can bring in another group of egg chasers as it failed before. How the council arrange it to keep Sisu’s filthy hands off it is up to them

shmmeee

I didn’t say wanting Wasps out was morally wrong, I said wanting another club dead is. Which is what’s being wished, not Wasps go home, Wasps go pop. Us of all fans shouldn’t be wishing that on someone else.

Obviously most are sensible and don’t put that ahead of City coming home, but this weekend I’ve seen two posters state that that is what they want, and more, including the admin of the site, claim they’d be happy for us to never return if that’s what it took for the council to lose a court case.

everyone’s entitled to their opinion, and mine is that that is nuts.

Terry Gibson's perm

I didn’t say wanting Wasps out was morally wrong, I said wanting another club dead is. Which is what’s being wished, not Wasps go home, Wasps go pop. Us of all fans shouldn’t be wishing that on someone else.

Obviously most are sensible and don’t put that ahead of City coming home, but this weekend I’ve seen two posters state that that is what they want, and more, including the admin of the site, claim they’d be happy for us to never return if that’s what it took for the council to lose a court case.

everyone’s entitled to their opinion, and mine is that that is nuts.

If their demise was the only way to get our ground back is that ok?

shmmeee

If their demise was the only way to get our ground back is that ok?

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. There’s no suggestion that is the case. And as stated above it’s just as likely as not to ensure we never get back as it’d likely collapse the court case.

They’ve taken an end goal they want out of spite (Wasps dead) and worked backwards to justify how it meets their claimed goals (CCFC home).

Besides, I’m not sure I would be wishing them dead if that were the case. There’s times I wish my ex wife dead as it’d make my life a lot easier. But obviously that’s actually horrendous and no I wouldn’t want it to actually happen.

Evo1883

Going under is too big a wish to come true, but the less the crowds etc etc, the bigger the chance they may want to actually sort the mess out with ccfc

GaryJones

I don’t think Wasps will go under but I hope they begin to realise that the City of Coventry is not their natural home - as soon as they are struggling they will need to rely on their historic fan base as we do in times of trouble - thing is their historic fan base has been alienated a 100 miles away!
It will only take a promotion by Coventry RFU to diminish Wasps support a little bit further.
Every little helps - a double promotion by Coventry Rugby Club & Coventry City Football Club would set the cat amongst the pigeons!

torchomatic

• Interesting double page spread on us and an interview with Robins in today's FL paper. When at the Ricoh we could only put our paraphernalia up six hours before a game and had to take it all down no later than six hours after a game finished.
Showcases perfectly why staying at the Ricoh with Wasps won't work long term.

As Robins' said when St Andrew's was announced, we've gone from a ground we don't own where we weren't made to feel welcome to a ground we don't own where we are made to feel welcome.

shmmeee

• Interesting double page spread on us and an interview with Robins in today's FL paper. When at the Ricoh we could only put our paraphernalia up six hours before a game and had to take it all down no later than six hours after a game finished.
Showcases perfectly why staying at the Ricoh with Wasps won't work long term.

As Robins' said when St Andrew's was announced, we've gone from a ground we don't own where we weren't made to feel welcome to a ground we don't own where we are made to feel welcome.

That stuff was petty and ridiculous. I remember the Trust being told the same when they wanted to put posters up I think, everything had to be up and down by a certain point.

Long term we need our own place away from the Ricoh. 20k capacity or so would be fine for now and in the Championship should we get there. We clearly can’t make the economics work at the Ricoh for whatever reason.

In the interim I fail to believe it’s outside the wit of man to produce a rental agreement that allows stability, to feel at home, and to have a decent pitch, all without breaking us or wasps financially.

Exit Stage Left

Fuck this is even better than I thought and I nearly fell off my chair cheering with joy! - The actual PROPER Coventry Rugby Team "Coventry RFC" won away from home 47-17. Everything is right with the world & things are slowly slotting into place!
I hope I wake up tomorrow and this hasn't just been a cruel dream!

Cheering with Joy!?
Who else do you spend your weekends with? Fisher? Boddy?

Irish Sky Blue

Cheering with Joy!?
Who else do you spend your weekends with? Fisher? Boddy?
I don’t exactly cheer but I do allow myself a smug chuckle when I find out Wasps have lost. They shouldn’t be here.They are a London club formed, presumably, by London people. They have no affinity to the people of Coventry and Warwickshire. Because of their owner, they are now a franchise club in the same mold as MK Dons. It is wrong to uproot a sporting club and take it away from the community that gave it birth and nurtured it. It was also wrong to set it up in a city that already had a historic first class rugby club that had fallen on hard times. Shame on the RFU. Wasps, according to the council, were not going to harm CCFC ot CRFC in anyway. That was obviously a patent untruth, particularly with regard to the football club. I want them to fail in Coventry and head back to the south east where they belong.. If they get into the cycle of losing, smaller gates, poorer team, poorer attendances so much the better.

ccfcway

I don’t exactly cheer but I do allow myself a smug chuckle when I find out Wasps have lost. They shouldn’t be here.They are a London club formed, presumably, by London people. They have no affinity to the people of Coventry and Warwickshire. Because of their owner, they are now a franchise club in the same mold as MK Dons. It is wrong to uproot a sporting club and take it away from the community that gave it birth and nurtured it. It was also wrong to set it up in a city that already had a historic first class rugby club that had fallen on hard times. Shame on the RFU. Wasps, according to the council, were not going to harm CCFC ot CRFC in anyway. That was obviously a patent untruth, particularly with regard to the football club. I want them to fail in Coventry and head back to the south east where they belong.. If they get into the cycle of losing, smaller gates, poorer team, poorer attendances so much the better.

Completely agree it’s 100% wrong.

I don’t get how American gets away with it. Ie, la raiders love to Oakland and now moving to Vegas

GaryJones

Here here - well said! 100% agree with this

torchomatic

Still sets of fans losing their teams.
Oakland Raiders, St Louis Rams, Montreal Expos (baseball), Atlanta Thrashers (hockey).

I was really into NFL in the 80s and 90s and my team was Houston Oilers. They were one of the teams that upped sticks and moved.

torchomatic

I want them to go back to London where they belong
There are fans down there who have been just as fucked over as we have.

And they would go back if people from Cov and Warwicks hadn't supported them. We get lower crowds at Stans because it is only City fans going. Imagine if thousands of Blues/Villa fans suddenly decided to come and see this new team in their city. We'd be there a lot longer. Wasps are still here because of the people of Coventry and Warwickshire.

torchomatic

Here is the article in the Football League Paper. If it unreadable let me know and I will upload it in sections.

Attachments

• flp.JPG
    flp.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 89

bawtryneal

And they would go back if people from Cov and Warwicks hadn't supported them. We get lower crowds at Stans because it is only City fans going. Imagine if thousands of Blues/Villa fans suddenly decided to come and see this new team in their city. We'd be there a lot longer. Wasps are still here because of the people of Coventry and Warwickshire.

And the 3,000 traditional London and Wycombe based Wasps fans who travel North every week

That number will reduce as investment in new players and winning performances continue to decline

DionDublinsJockstrap

I was in Bedworth this morning and I think Wasps must be doing a booming business on XXXXXL Shirts because I saw at least 30 slowly plodding down the high street. I could almost smell the polyester friction burns from the leggings rubbing together as they inched toward the Ricoh Arena.
That was their first team squad you saw mate!!

Users who are viewing this thread