Match Thread WBA (h) - 12:30 - Sat 4th - on Sky (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Wow Dabo played ahead of Hyam on merit and didn’t let anyone down. Either you lot are right or are manager who most of you and us think is god. Maybe he’s crap and you guys are the second most successful manager in our history

Has Boddy hacked your account?

Nick

Administrator
Yep simple question. I do remember him beating 3 players and playing the ball through for Ohare to set up sheaf. I remember that one. I don’t recall the first goal but if he played it across it was a poor ball. There were a few who did it though and he wasn’t the worst for missing passes today
What are you on about? Genuinely.

Grendel

Marty

Played like a league one team today, far too many not good enough. West Brom looked miles ahead of us, even just simple things like being able to control a ball first time. Just simple balls into each other can't be executed.

Something is defiantly up with out first half tactics, looks to me like we're trying to keep it tight then go for it second half, well, most of the time we end up conceding, invite too much pressure onto ourselves when we don't need too. Could have conceded 4 first half from the CB's playing themselves into trouble when it's not needed. Dabo never tracked his man for the first, he's not good enough at CB, and now we've got Kane, I think it's time for Dabo to be dropped. Hamer had an absolute stinker before his injury, pulled out of everything, no passes reached a team mate, Everything bounced of O'Hare, couldn't control a ball to save him life. Gyokeres and Godden looked very league one today, seemed in a hurry to do anything, nothing came off for them.

The fans are starting to pick up on too, was a poor atmosphere until the players decided to turn up after 70 mins or so.

Grendel

Seen it now. Poor to not cover the run. Yep and that tainted his whole performance for you I understand

He was dire in the first half gave away ball after ball - are you not well?

Grendel

Who didn’t? He played some lovely stuff too. Criticise all you like both robins and Dabo. Picking Dabo will either work or not he’s paid to make that choice.

What lovely stuff? give examples

Grendel

I’m not trying to be a smart arse (honestly) but it would have been easy for you to just search that instead of defending him for half an hour.

Better defending than Dabo for weeks to be fair

Sky Blue Pete

Robins played him at centre back
Yep we’ve spoken about this. Robins thinks Dabo was better than Hyam for this game and doesn’t think that was the reason we lost. Agree with him or not I think robins has earned the right to make a few mistakes. Will be interesting how quick and you others get the threads going about how he’s taken us as far as he can. You gonna start one today,

Frostie

First half was very poor & yes, no surprise that Dabo looks a fish out of water at CB but can't be too critical as he's taking one for the team by playing there.

Decision making was off, simple passes went astray & once it became clear that we were struggling with playing through them we should have been a bit more pragmatic.

Their 2nd was a clear handball, I could see it clearly in block 19, problem is ref wasn't in a position to see it clearly which is poor.
2-0 at that stage didn't flatter them but going in only 1 down could have meant a very different game.

Second half much better but left ourselves too much to do.

Also, possibly one of the least effective performances from Gyok & O'Hare & it really shows how much we rely on them.

Think it says a lot about how we're doing this season that we're all bitterly disappointed given the gulf in quality between the 2 squads.

Grendel

Yep we’ve spoken about this. Robins thinks Dabo was better than Hyam for this game and doesn’t think that was the reason we lost. Agree with him or not I think robins has earned the right to make a few mistakes. Will be interesting how quick and you others get the threads going about how he’s taken us as far as he can. You gonna start one today,

We are 19th in the form table over the last 12 games - it was poor he was poor he was outthought

Sick Boy

Of course he’s not going to say it was the reason we lost?!

Nick

Administrator
What are you on about? Genuinely.

Sky Blue Pete

What lovely stuff? give examples
Beating players with shimmies. The one that springs to mind was first half setting Ohare through.
When he won the ball on the floor and came through three of their players
Some one twos with sheaf and kane
I’m happy he’s not a cb I’m intrigued he played ahead of Hyam
Stepping in and beating players second half and getting us moving forward. He’s a 5 or 6 you and others are singling him out. Kane was hardly brilliant today

Nick

Administrator
First half was very poor & yes, no surprise that Dabo looks a fish out of water at CB but can't be too critical as he's taking one for the team by playing there.

Decision making was off, simple passes went astray & once it became clear that we were struggling with playing through them we should have been a bit more pragmatic.

Their 2nd was a clear handball, I could see it clearly in block 18, problem is ref wasn't in a position to see it clearly which is poor.
2-0 at that stage didn't flatter them but going in only 1 down could have meant a very different game.

Second half much better but left ourselves too much to do.

Also, possibly one of the least effective performances from Gyok & O'Hare & it really shows how much we rely on them.

Think it says a lot about how we're doing this season that we're all bitterly disappointed given the gulf in quality between the 2 squads.
Not sure how he's taking one for the team?

Sky Blue Pete

Of course he’s not going to say it was the reason we lost?!
In the same way he’s not gonna say he played Hamer oh no he did.
In the same way he’s not gonna say he picked Dabo ahead of Hyam. Oh no he did.
I think he would have said if he thought it

Nick

Administrator
Beating players with shimmies. The one that springs to mind was first half setting Ohare through.
When he won the ball on the floor and came through three of their players
Some one twos with sheaf and kane
I’m happy he’s not a cb I’m intrigued he played ahead of Hyam
Stepping in and beating players second half and getting us moving forward. He’s a 5 or 6 you and others are singling him out. Kane was hardly brilliant today
Kane has more assists this season than dabo has this and last.

Esoterica

The guy who scored didn't have his arm in a natural position. It was in the air.
My understanding of the 2nd goal, from the TV coverage, was that they gave it as a McFadz own goal, suggesting the ball had already crossed the line before it went in a 2nd time off the guy with his arms above his head. There was still another handball before it hit McFadz though, although much less obvious.

Frostie

Maybe he could talk to the manager then

Why? He'll do what the manager asks for the good of the team - as he should, think it's harsh to be overly critical for that.
I haven't heard Robins' reasoning but if he played him ahead of Hyam for tactical reasons rather than fitness then it's on Robins.

NorthernWisdom

Seen it now. Poor to not cover the run. Yep and that tainted his whole performance for you I understand
You know I like Dabo, it's not his fault he's playing out of position, and he did, tbf to him, look more comfortable this time out than last but... he's still not a centre back, and was poor there.

He's not an LWB either, but the difference in performance when he moved there was night and day.

Sick Boy

In the same way he’s not gonna say he played Hamer oh no he did.
In the same way he’s not gonna say he picked Dabo ahead of Hyam. Oh no he did.
I think he would have said if he thought it
Yes but he’s not going to say that his own tactical decision is the reason we lost.

Brighton Sky Blue

Pete, he didn't shimmy and beat somebody on the half way line. He created a goal (nearly 2).

Dabo cost us a goal and did a one two and you are love struck.

He did play a lovely through ball to O’Hare early on, but a proper centre back he ain’t. I’d rather teach Hyam how to pass than Dabo how to defend.

Johnnythespider

For the second goal it looked like the ball was over the line before it was cleared from my seat in line with the goal line, so i assumed the handball which i also saw was secondary to goal line tech although I've not seen any replays yet.
I'm more concerned with the selection of Dabo at CB today and then to left back for the second half, does he have a clause where he has to play, I'm not suggesting he shouldn't play in his normal position but to pick him ahead of an established CB and then take off a left back to keep him out there is just doubling down on what for me was a selection error.

Users who are viewing this thread