Match Thread Watford FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 9th Mar (1 Viewer)

Grendel

He was our best player against West Brom and Rotherham. Also was very good against Norwich. Stop cherry picking and pursuing an agenda against a player you do not rate. I think he has been too inconsistent since he has arrived but give credit where it is due when he plays really well.

He played well against Rotherham - he was anonymous at Norwich and average against West Brom - was great against Oxford and Maidstone

There’s no agenda - he’s just not very good. I think he’s scored in 4 league games since he’s been here and made 2 or 3 assists.

robbiethemole

I don't think he was badly positioned, looking to cover the front post and middle of the goal, but maybe could have been a step back towards the goal line. One of those goals you hold your hands up and say 'fuck me, how did he get that', probably a defender should have gone with the runner.

Offhegoes

Really uncomfortable game to watch. Our passing was way off for most of the game and Watford looked dangerous every time they went forward. Kitching was a rock and we hung in there for most of the match, and luckily took our chances. Simms battled hard, and Wright always looked a threat, but Torp, Palmer, and O’Hare were under par. Even Sheaf looked sloppy when he came on.

Cov kid 55

Yep, think we were fortunate to win this one. They looked much sharper and dangerous than us, the most important stat is of course, which team scores the most goals. But looking at every other stat, we were second best, from shots/shots on target, through to possession, passes made and pass accuracy. It was also noticeable that when we were on the rack, first and second half, neither Wright or Simms were able to hold the ball up, and help to get us up the pitch. Delighted we won, of course, but we need to start games better, and perform at a much higher level if we are to be in with a chance of a play-off place. Personally I think we’ll come up short, and the summer window will be key in maintaining our progress next season.

pusbccfc

covboy9

Yep, think we were fortunate to win this one. They looked much sharper and dangerous than us, the most important stat is of course, which team scores the most goals. But looking at every other stat, we were second best, from shots/shots on target, through to possession, passes made and pass accuracy. It was also noticeable that when we were on the rack, first and second half, neither Wright or Simms were able to hold the ball up, and help to get us up the pitch. Delighted we won, of course, but we need to start games better, and perform at a much higher level if we are to be in with a chance of a play-off place. Personally I think we’ll come up short, and the summer window will be key in maintaining our progress next season.
We won there last year playing on the counter

our strength is our bench now, most teams get weaker when they make subs we get stronger

the worry is are Norwich and hull better sides? Probably

next two games must wins then some big 6

Mucca Mad Boys

The same Eccles that played alongside Sheaf in our long unbeaten run? The same Torp that has been almost anonymous in the recent defeats?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I don’t disagree that Torp was anonymous in those games… but did Eccles do much better?

Midfield needs to be beefed up whether or not Sheaf goes. 1-3 signings at least to replace Kelly, Allen and potentially Sheaf.

rexo87

People who say Ohare has downed tools simply doesn’t watch games imo. There’s nothing different in his effort to when he was scoring.

Preston: worked very hard without anything going for him in a horrendous team performance

Maidstone: played 45 mins and looked good, maybe tried too much

WBA: played 45 mins and was poor in a terrible teams performance first half

Rotherham: didn’t play long enough to mention

Watford: didn’t have many touches but we looked a far better team once he was on.

Literally just 5 games where he maybe hasn’t been at his best. We cannot have Palmer as the only AM in this formation. He offered no support to Torp and Kelly at Watford and we get overrun completely when he plays there.

I think our best side in this formation is:

Collins

MVE Thomas Lati Kitching Bidwell

Eccles/Torp Sheaf

Ohare

Simms Wright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covboy9

I don’t disagree that Torp was anonymous in those games… but did Eccles do much better?

Midfield needs to be beefed up whether or not Sheaf goes. 1-3 signings at least to replace Kelly, Allen and potentially Sheaf.
Torp not really a holding midfielder but has done ok there

I’d like to see him in number 10 role

Mucca Mad Boys

Torp not really a holding midfielder but has done ok there

I’d like to see him in number 10 role
We don’t need to play two holding midfielders. With Torp specifically, he started really brightly, but has tailed off a bit.

There’s always an adaptation period moving into the intensity of the EFL and having just finished the Norwegian league prior to joining. Sheaf being injured has forced Torp to be rushed into the team and I don’t think that’s helped him. Two knocks against Stoke and Watford, probably suggests he needs a break. Eccles and Sheaf need to be starters for the next few games imo.

Hertsccfc

Here you go again with your tedious nonsense. Eccles has been a regular in the team for a year and a half and at times our best player. Sorry to disappoint you but he's in the team to stay. No doubt you will carry in slating the best player we have brought through our youth set up in years. Kelly and Allen have also been great servants to the club and deserve better.

Just because they weren't bought for a big fee doesn't mean they aren't good players.

Mucca Mad Boys

Here you go again with your tedious nonsense. Eccles has been a regular in the team for a year and a half and at times our best player. Sorry to disappoint you but he's in the team to stay. No doubt you will carry in slating the best player we have brought through our youth set up in years. Kelly and Allen have also been great servants to the club and deserve better.

Just because they weren't bought for a big fee doesn't mean they aren't good players.

I’m not slating Eccles specifically, we were poor against PNE and WBA and in my view, we struggled at LB/WB and in midfield.

You say it’s tedious, but I challenge you to answer this one question:

Do you believe we can win promotion to the Premiership with Sheaf, Eccles, Torp, Kelly and Allen?

If your answer to this is no, then you have no reason to disagree with my points.

MalcSB

His last goal contribution was 22 days ago , or 4 matches .

It seems a relatively short period to suggest it's been for weeks .

I feel like fans are talking about this like its been going on for a while and it's a bit unfair , even if I am annoyed too by him not signing
It’s literally been for weeks, 3 of them.

MalcSB

Eccles involved in both goals yesterday, so did do much better than Torp.

TBH I get a bit sick of the Eccles bashing or damning with faint praise. Agree that Kelly and Allen need replacing.

Hertsccfc

I’m not slating Eccles specifically, we were poor against PNE and WBA and in my view, we struggled at LB/WB and in midfield.

You say it’s tedious, but I challenge you to answer this one question:

Do you believe we can win promotion to the Premiership with Sheaf, Eccles, Torp, Kelly and Allen?

If your answer to this is no, then you have no reason to disagree with my points.
I doubt Kelly will still be here. And yes the other four competing for two places would mean it is one of the strongest areas of the team again.

We have positions which are far lighter, including left back and centre forward if Wright is playing wide. Also Sakamoto, Wright and Mason-Clark is not enough for two positions. And Palmer alone for the no 10 spot is not enough, assuming O'Hare goes.

But no doubt if the forwards don't score you'll complain that it's all the fault of the midfield and if they do you'll say it all down to how great Simms is again.

Hertsccfc

TBH I get a bit sick of the Eccles bashing or damning with faint praise. Agree that Kelly and Allen need replacing.
Totally agree about the Eccles bashing. I just don't understand what they get out of criticising a young player who has achieved so much.

I think Allen has been unlucky this season and still think he has something to offer.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That was because loads of idiots embarrassed themselves drinking it all yesterday. It was like a 16th birthday party with people being sick and falling over then sleeping where they fell.
I really can’t see the attraction of being so pissed that i’m asleep on the stairs after 5 minutes.
We really do have some dregs following us at times.
Sadly, I reckon a lot of it is acting a 'lad' to mask their own insecurities and unhappiness, which sadly sees them end up doing it from addiction.

I don't get the appeal either. I remember people when I was younger saying "I had a great night out! I was so bladdered I don't remember what happened!" WELL HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU KNOW IT WAS A GREAT NIGHT THEN!

Mucca Mad Boys

I like Eccles but he’s still developing and will improve. In my view, he’s a solid player but isn’t going to pull us through games in the way Hamer and Sheaf have done at this moment in time.

Even so, saying we need to improve the midfield isn’t saying our existing players aren’t good.

Hamer is a better player than any of our current midfielders and is playing for potentially the worst Prem team of all time. If we want to get promoted and stay up, we need better players all over the pitch.

I doubt Kelly will still be here. And yes the other four competing for two places would mean it is one of the strongest areas of the team again.

We have positions which are far lighter, including left back and centre forward if Wright is playing wide. Also Sakamoto, Wright and Mason-Clark is not enough for two positions. And Palmer alone for the no 10 spot is not enough, assuming O'Hare goes.

But no doubt if the forwards don't score you'll complain that it's all the fault of the midfield and if they do you'll say it all down to how great Simms is again.

Personally, I don’t think it’s the strongest area and the performances against PNE, Norwich and WBA showed that.

You realise wingers and AMs are midfielders too, right? You’ve listed 50% of your own top needs in midfield. I also agree that LB and ST are two positional needs too.

We’ll replace Kelly, as you say… Do you not think MR will look to bring someone in who’ll improve on what we have or just sign a player to be a back up?

Midfield is the most important area of the pitch they support the defence and supply our forwards.

Perhaps it’s how I’ve presented my points, but we agree that midfield will be a focus in the off season.

covboy9

Sadly, I reckon a lot of it is acting a 'lad' to mask their own insecurities and unhappiness, which sadly sees them end up doing it from addiction.

I don't get the appeal either. I remember people when I was younger saying "I had a great night out! I was so bladdered I don't remember what happened!" WELL HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU KNOW IT WAS A GREAT NIGHT THEN!
Cos you woke up next to a hottie

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Never fails to baffle me how chairman's don't realise continuity lends itself to relative success
Never fails to baffle me that people don't realise success lends itself to continuity.

We've also got the myth of the 'new manager bounce', which is literally the complete opposite of continuity. Suggests getting a new manager every month or so and you'll piss the league. But it doesn't work like that. Same as keeping the same manager doesn't mean you'll magically end up winning.

shmmeee

Don’t think Torp will be fit from the sounds of it, but I’d be tempted to play a flat three if we’ve got two up front and play Eccles Sheaf and Torp

Chris1987

Some individuals on the Watford forum saying that we are the dirtiest team they've played !
Have they not encountered Millwall , Sheffield Wednesday & Preston ?

Offhegoes

Really could do with Jamie Allen, playing just in front of Sheaf & Eccles/Kelly for this game. Then either Simms & Wright, or play Palmer / O'Hare in a No.10 role behind the main striker.

Users who are viewing this thread