Watford at it again (2 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Same as most of our managers in the top flight to be fair
I was thinking more in the way of Mick McCarthy, Neil Warnock etc. Managers who get substandard teams promoted, and then when they unsurprisingly go straight back down, are forever cast in the role of good in Championship, bad in top flight.

Only one I can think of off the top of my head who was similar would have been Don Mackay, who actually did a pretty decent job with Blackburn after us!

Happy_Martian

I’m sure I heard at the time, that if our form under Robins from when he came back in March until the end of the season was reflected over the entire season we would have finished in the top half.
We were doomed when he took over

That was a given. But like we've seen at so many other clubs, Joy may have just seen him as a caretaker until the end of the season. She'd worked with him before and could easily have replaced the entire back room at the end of the season. Luckily that never happened but it's still a galling "what if?"

Grendel

you always overlook conveniently the massive gap between then and now in terms of finance

Strangely with a few exceptions the biggest clubs always attracted better players and always succeeded and the poorer teams - especially promoted ones - often struggled

no_loyalty

Lost against QPR in Wilder’s first game in charge 😂.

Sick Boy

many managers start well, but then eventually hit a bad patch that they cant recover from
Robins has had several of these, but always manages to come back and stronger each time

Many calling for his head even as recently as january after 2 draws and 4 defeats
(Defeats against Sheff u/ burnley/ Norwich and a freak one v wrexham)

It will be interesting at the point we do get to the Premier league (which i expect at some point under Robins) - how he will be treated if we come straight back down
In reality we’d need significant investment in the playing side to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread