Watford at it again (2 Viewers)

Sbarcher

Bilic sacked, Wilder in until end of season

Happy_Martian

From a stable manager option to one where tightening your safety belts is essential. While they've only won 1 of their last 8, they're still only 4 points outside the playoffs and the club still have access to healthy assets. It must be disconcerting for their fans with such kneejerk owners. We had the bouncing managers initially with Joy but at least she held fire at the important choice and let Robins stay for another season. She could have released him when we hit League 2 but strange to say, 6 years on, she did the right thing.

SAJ

From a stable manager option to one where tightening your safety belts is essential. While they've only won 1 of their last 8, they're still only 4 points outside the playoffs and the club still have access to healthy assets. It must be disconcerting for their fans with such kneejerk owners. We had the bouncing managers initially with Joy but at least she held fire at the important choice and let Robins stay for another season. She could have released him when we hit League 2 but strange to say, 6 years on, she did the right thing.
Why would she ever have sacked him then. At that stage he had managed us for about 11 games 1 of which we won at Wembley. Of the 10 we won 4. There was no way he was ever going to be sacked the damage had already been done.

Grendel

It’s an unusual approach but it does kind of work

Sky Blue Harry H

It’s an unusual approach but it does kind of work
The managerial roundabout there seems daft to me - the thing that seems to help them is their relationship with Udinese, and their ability to utilise their players at dubious transfer values etc. If they took full advantage of this whilst maintaining some managerial stability, you'd think they might have more success,

win9nut

Was chatting to my Watford-supporting colleague yesterday...
He said that they're shit, have a much better squad than 9th, but Bilic was playing players in the wrong positions just to get them in the team. He said he "won't be at all surprised if Bilic gets the old tictac"

Sbarcher

Bet they have paid out more in manager compo than players!

slowpoke

But Bilic is crap he has had five clubs in five years three of them here, starts okay but soon struggles, but who keeps employing him his cv is rubbish, must have a good agent.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Not a fan of Bilic but half a season is stupid .The very best of luck to Chris Wilder he will need it with those clowns.Never though I would say it about any owners but they are even worse than Sisu.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

But Bilic is crap he has had five clubs in five years three of them here, starts okay but soon struggles, but who keeps employing him his cv is rubbish, must have a good agent.

There's a lot of managers with a rubbish CV but these stupid football clubs keep employing them.

Grendel

There's a lot of managers with a rubbish CV but these stupid football clubs keep employing them.

Watford are far from a big club but the lowest finish in 10 years is just below halfway in the championship

slowpoke

Bit part mercenary type managers seems very lucrative and common nowadays, Warnock, McCarthy and now Wilder to name a few bet they are all on about £30k a week plus a lump if they save their clubs bacon.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Was chatting to my Watford-supporting colleague yesterday...
He said that they're shit, have a much better squad than 9th, but Bilic was playing players in the wrong positions just to get them in the team. He said he "won't be at all surprised if Bilic gets the old tictac"
Not that I'm suggesting Bilic is a decent manager, but I think that often with owners like Watford's they seem to want to decide what players they sign and the manager is just another employee there to get results with what they give him, rather than finding out who the manager wants/needs in terms of how they want to play.

Wouldn't be surprised if players get picked even out of position because the managers are under pressure from the owners to play them. If he doesn't play them he gets sacked for seemingly failing to utilise the assets at his disposal, if he does he gets sacked because it's not a coherent team and performances/results are shit.

skybluepm2

I think he needs to give them a rocket man !

I guess it’s just Watford’s Circle of Life to be honest. Will Wilder be Still Standing by the end of the year? I doubt it very much. Elton and the rest of their board just appear to be ruthless, Cold Heart-ed individuals.

bigfatronssba

We’re only saying the Watford approach doesn’t work because we’ve struck gold with Robins.
The likes of Coleman should’ve been sacked sooner, not given more time.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We’re only saying the Watford approach doesn’t work because we’ve struck gold with Robins.
The likes of Coleman should’ve been sacked sooner, not given more time.
I've always been of the mind that success breeds stability rather than the other way round, but at the same time you have to give a manager at least a decent amount of time to change things. If they have a different system they need to be able to bring in the players that fit it etc.

Watford just be appearing to having knee jerk reactions to a few poor results, much like Grendel's taxi and SheafisGod.

Robinshio

many managers start well, but then eventually hit a bad patch that they cant recover from
Robins has had several of these, but always manages to come back and stronger each time

Many calling for his head even as recently as january after 2 draws and 4 defeats
(Defeats against Sheff u/ burnley/ Norwich and a freak one v wrexham)

It will be interesting at the point we do get to the Premier league (which i expect at some point under Robins) - how he will be treated if we come straight back down

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

many managers start well, but then eventually hit a bad patch that they cant recover from
Robins has had several of these, but always manages to come back and stronger each time

Many calling for his head even as recently as january after 2 draws and 4 defeats

It will be interesting at the point we do get to the Premier league (which i expect at some point under Robins) - how he will be treated if we come straight back down
I would hope fans would recognise the monumental achievement just to have got there and how difficult it would be initially for us to even begin to compete. We'd have to go up recognising that relegation straight back down, along with some heavy defeats along the way, would be a very highly likely scenario and anything more than that in a first season would be an incredible achievement.

Even if we did come back down, I would still think he should stay in the job and look to achieve promotion again the following season. At this point being a yo-yo club would have to be considered decent.

But I doubt that would happen. Fans have short memories and after a few consecutive defeats to the likes of Liverpool and Man City they'd be calling for his head and to be replaced by some better known name that has failed elsewhere or some little known foreign coach with a name like Conocido Chaqueta who's had one decent season with an unfashionable club in La Liga.

shmmeee

If by some miracle we got promoted I’d take a drubbing each week if it means we come down financially stable. Do a Norwich for a bit.

TewkesburySkyBlue

The parachute payment would save him

robbiethemole

They’re really struggling, they started charging players and staff for the meals they get at the training ground.
Proper tinpot club

peace ndlovu

I’m sure I heard at the time, that if our form under Robins from when he came back in March until the end of the season was reflected over the entire season we would have finished in the top half.
We were doomed when he took over

CovBrummie94

If by some miracle we got promoted I’d take a drubbing each week if it means we come down financially stable. Do a Norwich for a bit.
If we got battered every week and came down with a points total similar to Derby's, would Robins still be manager back in the Championship?

Grendel

He'd forever be tarred as not being able to cut it in the top flight, missing completely what kind of squad he was given to try and cut it in the top flight.

Same as most of our managers in the top flight to be fair

Users who are viewing this thread