Wasps set to play key home matches at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry (2 Viewers)

The Reverend Skyblue

Can I be the first to congratulate me for predicting this many months ago, I am positive I even said London wasps as a team most likely to be interested in coming here,though I also said London welsh.I can if anyone needs proof I could go through my previous posts but as I have a life please only ask this if you are incredibly sad.

This is the first time in my 51 years that one of my predictions has come right so I am off down the pub for a massive whisky session

Love to all my new fans out there, I couldn't have done it without you and I am here if you ever need me

I would like to thank my Mum and dad for bringing me up properly and making me into such a fantastic predictor . I would like to thankyou to all my sisters as well and last of all my cousin Wayne and Ronnie for always being there for me

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

It was 'on the cards' at the time I spoke to the player, and Wasps have been a bit desperate for a real 'home' for these games. A game like Wasps-Toulon (or any of the French 14 teams for that matter), the Irish or Welsh teams, the local English teams like Northampton or Leicester would be huge. I would love to go to such a game. Love it (in the rant-style of Kevin Keegan)

Rugby Union never been my cup of tea, always thought that if I wanted to watch fat blokes running into each other I could just pop down to Greggs any lunchtime!

Ashdown

The game really has changed in the last 10 years I'd say. Been going to Cov in the absence of City and many of these guys are very fit and muscular now. Not many fatties left that I could see !

covcity4life

More money to the Ricoh's owners; which - if it were our football club - would be a good thing. May still be a good thing.

Aim your insults at the owners who haven't taken up their ownership options on an appreciating opportunity.

If people come from far and wide to Coventry to watch sport; to send their money and create jobs, and the television coverage - internationally - increases the profile of our city, what's to get irate about?

'The council' are criticised when The Ricoh is under-used, and criticised when they're attracting significant events. Some people.....

lmao they have got you hook line and sinker haven't they?

Moff

Rugby Union never been my cup of tea, always thought that if I wanted to watch fat blokes running into each other I could just pop down to Greggs any lunchtime!

I go to watch the Northampton saints sometimes, and also Cov on occasion. They are all big fekkers now, a bit like me but with muscles, and without the 32 pack.

letsallsingtogether

I remember them were here In the semi final of the Heineken Cup of 2007 they beat Northampton 30-13 so can't be bad.:)

Then went on to play against Leicester Tigers the favourites at Twickenham and thumped them 25-9 double whamming]:)

Never realised Will Carling and co were fat bastards we had all better go on a diet then No more pies at the Football:(

Last edited:

Ashdown

he said it because i am asian. if you wanna dispute please PM me, sbt should be a safe haven from such draconian views

he is now banned of course LOLZ
I couldn't care less about Valiant...................I just thought if you were a cabbie, you'd be rubbing your hands together at the prospect of droves more visitors to Cov, but that's obviously all invalid now !

chiefdave

Really have my doubts about allowing so much sport being played on the pitch. I don't think it could take it. The groundsman will be tearing his hair out!

Hopefully not a problem. Although there are multiple people using the pitch between them it's probably only going to total 20 games max. Two teams managed at Sixfields last year and when we had a reserve side they always used to play a full season at HR. You would imagine things have moved on since then and there's more technology available to assist in maintaining the pitch.

If the worst came to the worst couldn't they just drop in a new pitch?

stupot07

Hopefully not a problem. Although there are multiple people using the pitch between them it's probably only going to total 20 games max. Two teams managed at Sixfields last year and when we had a reserve side they always used to play a full season at HR. You would imagine things have moved on since then and there's more technology available to assist in maintaining the pitch.

If the worst came to the worst couldn't they just drop in a new pitch?

The problem is the state the pitch is already in and not having enough time to recover. Also in a way with Sixfields being so small it gets more sun, especially in the winter where as the Ricoh stands block a lot of sun.

That first season in league one, after the Olympics and the JPT games our pitch was a right state.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/30180-Our-Pitch

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/26430-THE-PITCH-what-has-happened-to-it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

CJ_covblaze

As others have mentioned, as long as it helps the local economy, doesn't harm Cov (could even help them) and Wasps fans are on board I don't see the issue.

It was 'on the cards' at the time I spoke to the player, and Wasps have been a bit desperate for a real 'home' for these games. A game like Wasps-Toulon (or any of the French 14 teams for that matter), the Irish or Welsh teams, the local English teams like Northampton or Leicester would be huge. I would love to go to such a game. Love it (in the rant-style of Kevin Keegan)

Watching Toulon play tomorrow night. PSG v St Etienne on Sunday too. Not a bad weekend!

Terry Gibson's perm

Only ever seen one full match and that was after a lot of beer, watched bits but find it boring all they ever want to do is kick penalties, all the kids with talent played football and the fatty talent less ones played Rugby at school.

Shame it's not Northampton that would have been ironic.

lewys33

I would like to see what wasps fans make of this. People are quick to jump on the "franchise" etc train but their situation is very different again.

Of course coventry is hardly just down the road though so it is a little strange. Maybe fans were consulted? I don't know enough to comment. I would imagine they are pleased they have a nice ground to use for these big games but a little disappointed it's further away than other home games. Do home games become different when you are playing in Europe ("as long as it's in England ey chap")?

This will in no way affect Coventry Rugby club either. Not when it is only going to be a handful of games each year. Like has been previously said if marketed properly this will work very well for them!

chiefdave

I've been trying to find out why they need to play here. It seems they are essentially homeless and have ended up in Wycombe. There's a proposed new ground project by Wasps, Wanderers and the council but I can't find a reason why they can't play all their games in Wycombe until then. Only thing I can guess is a capacity issue.

shmmeee

Great, so we will have us, villa u21's, ccfc ladies and Wasps all playing at the Ricoh. Pitch will be a right state come February....oh wait it's already looking a state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Can't refuse to rent the Ricoh on anything but match days then complain others are using it in the interim I'm afraid.

You want exclusive use of something, you usually pay for it.

lordsummerisle

Can't refuse to rent the Ricoh on anything but match days then complain others are using it in the interim I'm afraid.

You want exclusive use of something, you usually pay for it.

The amount we were paying previously should have given us exclusive use, but didn't.

Sky Blue Kid

@ summerisle....Does that include the 1 year+ we never paid a bean, yet still had use of the pitch, Higgs foundation for academy to train on.....Never paid anything towards broken equiptment, and never paid towards the upkeep of the pitch either.

lordsummerisle

@ summerisle....Does that include the 1 year+ we never paid a bean, yet still had use of the pitch, Higgs foundation for academy to train on.....Never paid anything towards broken equiptment, and never paid towards the upkeep of the pitch either.

Ah, so it goes like this does it?

"£!.3 million rent, and you want a pitch for free to play on? That'll be extra mate".

lordsummerisle

Which clearly wasn't in the legally binding contract that Sisu signed, after doing their due dillegence of course.

Which has no relevance to whst I was saying.

Shmmee said that we can't expect exclusive use if not paying large enough amount for it, which is fair enough, but implies that the amount we were paying before should have entitled us to exclusive use, but didn't.

The Council charged rates for year round use to the club from the start after all.

Sky Blue Kid

@ summerisle......CaptainMorgan beat me to it......"Due Diligence"....While we're on about paying for something and not getting it.....Read earlier posts mate. SISU not only move the goalposts, they move the Club too. Take money off people for lifetime memberships and in the next breath, basically tell them to "F**k OFF" quoting "Obsolete" as an excuse. The Club is still in existence so should honour their contract with fans....but we're talking about SISU though aren't we?

NorthernWisdom

Horrible horrible horrible decision.

The sooner the football club stops making finance come first, and the sooner a stadium management company does, the better.

Hope sod all turn up. We've got a rugby team with a decent history, we don't need to steal another.

lewys33

Horrible horrible horrible decision.

The sooner the football club stops making finance come first, and the sooner a stadium management company does, the better.

Hope sod all turn up. We've got a rugby team with a decent history, we don't need to steal another.

It's not really stealing is it? They are homeless. Wycombe is currently used for home games but isn't big enough especially for the European games. Granted why are they not using a stadium closer to them is a bit strange but this will not have any effect on Coventry RFC (if they use their noggin).

lewys33

I've been trying to find out why they need to play here. It seems they are essentially homeless and have ended up in Wycombe. There's a proposed new ground project by Wasps, Wanderers and the council but I can't find a reason why they can't play all their games in Wycombe until then. Only thing I can guess is a capacity issue.

It does appear to be the capacity issue (and also the facilities aren't the best at Adams park it appears).

Not much on their forum, a few comments suggest this isn't going to be taken too well if true though.

shmmeee

The amount we were paying previously should have given us exclusive use, but didn't.

That's as may be, and a lovely bit of whatabouttery but not sure its relevant.

What is relevant is if we're going to do our best to deny the management co of cash then we can't complain when they increase usage/cut back on maintainence. Swings and roundabouts innit? Get what you pay for and all that.

No real point, just saying that a lot of the victories we seem to be winning recently are rather pyrrhic.

I'm sure the pitch will be fine, but if it's not we've only got ourselves to blame, even if its just for not getting it in the contract.

James Smith

more money for the council. rejoice

give a % to ccfc please considering you are holding the ricoh hostage

Seriously how are the council going to make money out of it? Except possibly the Ricoh car park they now own, what are they going to do to extract cash from these rugby fans? Selling speaking in a foreign accent permits for the French/Italians (and possibly the Welsh and Irish if they're not making enough)? Add a hotel room occupancy tax around match days? It sounds like it will be good for local businesses and surely that's good for the local economy or am I missing something?

letsallsingtogether

This deal was done months ago when we were playing at sixfields so really what is the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread