Wasps set to play key home matches at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry (1 Viewer)

skybluepm2

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/wasps-set-to-play-key-home-matches-at-the-ricoh-arena-in-coventry-as-search-for-a-permanent-ground-continues-9698718.html

Wasps are ready to switch high‑profile games to the Ricoh Arena in Coventry as they search for a new permanent home, which could take three years.
It is understood that Wasps will conclude their groundshare at Adams Park — home to Wycombe Wanderers — at the end of this season.
They kick off their campaign a week tomorrow in front of a bumper crowd at Twickenham for the London Double Header, which also involves Harlequins, London Irish and Saracens.
The annual season opener hammers home the fact Adams Park has not produced the number of fans to make Wasps a viable Premiership winner, with attendances at around 7,000.
Wasps used the 30,000-capacity Ricoh Arena in 2007 and Saracens have also played at the ground where Coventry City football club have returned this season after a controversial short-term switch to Northampton.
Despite Wasps’ strong links with Land Rover — which is based in Coventry — the city is not seen as a long-term solution, and the club, captained by James Haskell, are understood to be trying to identify a new home nearer London.
However, this is part of a strategic plan that will not be implemented for at least three years.
Until then, Wasps look certain to have to continue using various stadia for home games with Adams Park remaining the first choice if they opt to sign a new agreement.

hill83

That's good news for the city of Coventry so fair play. I'm sure the pitch will still be better than that other ground we played at that I won't mention.

skybluepm2

Where could you possibly be talking about? :thinking about:

It doesn't appear to be until next season anyway, by which time we will hopefully have told Baggies reserves to piss off back to yam land. I doubt it will be for their entire campaign anyway, just a select few. Who will get the pie money?! ;)

ajsccfc

We've already got Bees. If the Charlotte Hornets come over for an exhibition we're going to need a lot of spray.

Gint11

Why don't all Coventry sports team apart from Speedway (track) and Ice Hockey just have the Ricoh as their home. Rugby, american football etc etc

stupot07

Great, so we will have us, villa u21's, ccfc ladies and Wasps all playing at the Ricoh. Pitch will be a right state come February....oh wait it's already looking a state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

lordsummerisle

Wouldn't get too excited, merely a speculative piece with nothing concrete in it.

The last line says it all:

Until then, Wasps look certain to have to continue using various stadia for home games with Adams Park remaining the first choice if they opt to sign a new agreement.

John_Silletts_Nose

Fair point. Totally forgot about them. I retract my first post.

Rugby is shit anyway though. It's for fat bastards who couldn't play football growing up.

You need to look around at the City supporters as it's also for fat people, I think that's why SISU think there is so much revenue in F&B.

chiefdave

What's the deal with London Wasps, are they genuinely without somewhere to play and we'd be doing them a favour or is it a similar situation to us going to Sixfields? If their fans are in favour then I have no problem with it, worries about the pitch aside which we can't really complain about if we only want to pay for 20 days a year, if their fans are against it then it would be a poor show from ACL in my opinion.

Whats the thinking behind that? LONDON Wasps, in COVENTRY. Yes, its a lovely stadium, perfect for Rugby, but the clue is in the name. LONDON. Theres many a stadium in London suitable for Wasps. Yes, its good for the local community. We get to see a top Rugby Union team play in our fair city and local businesses will get a much needed boost, but they will tear the pitch apart and its already in bad condition. Not sure about this one

Mary_Mungo_Midge

What about London Irish playing at the Madjeski? That's not ruined the pitch. My understanding is that this was/might still be a serious consideration; for significant games, and as a short term measure. It's not pure speculation.

Equally, I think it's a good thing - and let me explain why. Firstly, these European games are huge. A game like Toulon in the city would be incredible; bringing cash and prosperity to our city. If SISU are interested in buying into ACL/The Arena, then the more revenues it can generate, the more money - in theory - goes to the club's owners.

And I don't believe that the occasional blue riband event in the city would be harmful to the city's rugby team; in fact quite the contrary may be the case. The the 'big' game was Saturday evening, then Coventry could kick-off early at The Butts and - if marketed properly - potentially catch some of the visiting fans.

Finally, I seem to recall some time back being scoffed at by a certain Mr Grendel when I stated that a club would use the Ricoh for European Cup rugby games....

The stadium has been used for Rugby before, very successfully. But the pitch is in a bad way, probably not suitable for Football right now, so what would a Rugby game do to it? It needs to time rebuild. The move would certainly benefit the city, but from a CCFC point of view, it could harm the pitch

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Really have my doubts about allowing so much sport being played on the pitch. I don't think it could take it. The groundsman will be tearing his hair out!

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Really have my doubts about allowing so much sport being played on the pitch. I don't think it could take it. The groundsman will be tearing his hair out!

It wouldn't be every week though, just significant games. Other pitches - from Milton Keynes, to the Madjeski to Lofuts Road - have done it without ruination

Mary_Mungo_Midge

more money for the council. rejoice

give a % to ccfc please considering you are holding the ricoh hostage

More money to the Ricoh's owners; which - if it were our football club - would be a good thing. May still be a good thing.

Aim your insults at the owners who haven't taken up their ownership options on an appreciating opportunity.

If people come from far and wide to Coventry to watch sport; to send their money and create jobs, and the television coverage - internationally - increases the profile of our city, what's to get irate about?

'The council' are criticised when The Ricoh is under-used, and criticised when they're attracting significant events. Some people.....

lordsummerisle

I don't need to read any article. I know a Wasps player, and he spoke to me about it. I've just kept quiet until I saw this

If true, then a good thing, maybe ACL are getting a bit more professional in finding proper uses for the Stadium, something I have criticised their lack of in the past.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

If true, then a good thing, maybe ACL are getting a bit more professional in finding proper uses for the Stadium, something I have criticised their lack of in the past.

It was 'on the cards' at the time I spoke to the player, and Wasps have been a bit desperate for a real 'home' for these games. A game like Wasps-Toulon (or any of the French 14 teams for that matter), the Irish or Welsh teams, the local English teams like Northampton or Leicester would be huge. I would love to go to such a game. Love it (in the rant-style of Kevin Keegan)

Ashdown

The more money that piles into the City from any quarter has to be good. Got to be honest, living 15 miles outside, we've not spent as fraction as much in the City as a family since the City were moved away. Match days often involved morning shopping, lunch out and of course the obligatory few beers, plus petrol etc etc. We also did the same invariably when picking up extra tickets or visiting the club shop.

Users who are viewing this thread