Wasps on the up? I hope not! (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Ah fireworks after people on my social media seem more excited about the fireworks after than the game.
Definitely not ‘supporters’ just daytrippers, bet half have forgotten who won already.

Otis

There's an awful lot of empty seats for a 32k Christmas cracker SELL OUT?!?! Maybe their using the same way of counting averages as Sizzler?
6940be832bb5c7cfee86d3f009a07fc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
At what time of the day was this? Before kick-off, or during the game?

pastythegreat

At what time of the day was this? Before kick-off, or during the game?
I'm not sure. It was a pic I dug up on Twitter. I never took it and don't know the person that did. Looking at the time it was posted I'd guess at it be during the match but that's nothing more than a guess.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

oucho

Have not heard about this MK Dons rumour until now, how ironic if true that two franchise sports teams may end up playing there!. The quicker Wasps fuck off or go bankrupt the better as far as I'm concerned!!
Merry Christmas

The MK angle is my own supposition only, not based on anything I have heard elsewhere. But that area is a big rugby area, as seen when they sold out both tiers of the MK stadium for a rugby world cup group game between two minnows (think it was Romania v Canada or something). Right colour seats, closer to London, what's not to like?

GaryJones

If we are not careful we will have a team with a true Coventry heritage gone from our city (CCFC) and be left with a team with no heritage (Wasps) here playing in front of apathetic non-paying audiences.

I've just left the Fat Pug in Leamington after a Christmas pint and 2 guys next to me at the bar had just come back from The Ricoh. They were talking to the barmaid saying "we lost - but we had a great session in the bar".
I asked them who they were referring to when they say "we" and they replied Coventry. I said "but Coventry weren't playing today!" "Oh" says the chap I meant Wasps.
"OK" says I, what was the score. "Im not exactly sure but I will look it up on Google for you if you like".
Thats OK says I and his mate pipes up with "I prefer football anyway - the Premier League is much better"
I fucking give up I really do!

Otis

If we are not careful we will have a team with a true Coventry heritage gone from our city (CCFC) and be left with a team with no heritage (Wasps) here playing in front of apathetic non-paying audiences.

I've just left the Fat Pug in Leamington after a Christmas pint and 2 guys next to me at the bar had just come back from The Ricoh. They were talking to the barmaid saying "we lost - but we had a great session in the bar".
I asked them who they were referring to when they say "we" and they replied Coventry. I said "but Coventry weren't playing today!" "Oh" says the chap I meant Wasps.
"OK" says I, what was the score. "Im not exactly sure but I will look it up on Google for you if you like".
Thats OK says I and his mate pipes up with "I prefer football anyway - the Premier League is much better"
I fucking give up I really do!
Yeah, I'd definitely change pubs if I was you.

chiefdave

I would say I was surprised they have gone with another firework display after the local residents kicked off last time about the disturbance but this is Wasps and they wouldn't give a shit about the local residents.

Nice to see any extra money they've made today literally going up in smoke.

Kneeza

As if today wasn't already a shitpile for them, their A team just got humped big-style by Newcastle.
Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

SkyblueBazza

I cant stomach the fact that anyone from Coventry would support Wasps let alone buy a bloody season ticket!
Surely you would get yourself up to the Butts and watch Coventry Rugby Club?
I just don't get it.
Unfortunately Sizzler it is people like you that keep the Wasps here and by doing that you are justifying this ruthless relocation and the scant regard Wasps hold for their original fanbase who they obviously couldn't give a shit about!

You might have an argument of course if you've always followed Wasps but somehow I doubt you have!
Maybe the same could be said of someone that was born, raised & lives in Bedworth...but goes to watch Coventry? Why do they do that?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Just got back from a nice little afternoon out at the Ricoh... shame we lost, good to see it busy though, enjoy the pile-on.

Probably make the most of it, it won't be when there aren't fireworks and so many freebies.

Just the same as our community days when we give them all away....

Brighton Sky Blue

This is like losing against the 'amateur' setting on FIFA, they have it all stacked in their favour but still can't buy a win. The day trippers will be back next Christmas for fireworks and ciabattas while Derek counts the millions he's lost on this franchise project.

SkyblueBazza

So...my first Ricoh visit for Rugby ends with a Bath win (hurrah). As pleasin as that is...Wasps were a pretty pale shadow of Wasps' sides seen over the years.
As for everything else, they are making a real effort to generate support. Many family orientated activity, with free fairground attraction for the kids, entertainment - dare I say all set up to be a family day out. AND given how poor Wasps were, & yet the fans were seeming to still having a fun time...& followed by fireworks too. The whole atmosphere was one to commend. It is not a 'match' - it is an event. And an enjoyable day out...which I suspect will bring a developing support base locally (as CCFCs continues its decline).
As for Wasps fans not being local - I head very few none midland accents anywhere around.

What does all this point to? For me...the painful truth is that Wasps are looking to me like winning the war. 31k is hard to argue against. Talk all you like about free-ticket bollocks. They are getting avg 17k this season. Talk about non-local fans & questioning their desire to keep travelling or whatever - quite simply ALL top 8 football clubs in England have a wide fan base across the land. Wasps are on of the top Rugby clubs in England & similarly have a very wide fan base who are prepared to travel to watch their team at 'events' like to today for a good family day out.

Nick

Administrator
So...my first Ricoh visit for Rugby ends with a Bath win (hurrah). As pleasin as that is...Wasps were a pretty pale shadow of Wasps' sides seen over the years.
As for everything else, they are making a real effort to generate support. Many family orientated activity, with free fairground attraction for the kids, entertainment - dare I say all set up to be a family day out. AND given how poor Wasps were, & yet the fans were seeming to still having a fun time...& followed by fireworks too. The whole atmosphere was one to commend. It is not a 'match' - it is an event. And an enjoyable day out...which I suspect will bring a developing support base locally (as CCFCs continues its decline).
As for Wasps fans not being local - I head very few none midland accents anywhere around.

What does all this point to? For me...the painful truth is that Wasps are looking to me like winning the war. 31k is hard to argue against. Talk all you like about free-ticket bollocks. They are getting avg 17k this season. Talk about non-local fans & questioning their desire to keep travelling or whatever - quite simply ALL top 8 football clubs in England have a wide fan base across the land. Wasps are on of the top Rugby clubs in England & similarly have a very wide fan base who are prepared to travel to watch their team at 'events' like to today for a good family day out.

We filled the ground for our community day where they were free, we also played really shit in front of the big crowd. We didn't have fireworks though, I think most would have walked out pissed off with the performance.

Like you say, it's an "event". What happens when there is no fireworks and it's just a rugby match? People won't go there for a piss up week in, week out and it will be back to the actual fans.

Grendel

They average 14,500 this season before today’s distorted attendance which is an 18% decline from last year. Kind of suggests the gimmicks aren’t working doesn’t it?

SkyblueBazza

Probably make the most of it, it won't be when there aren't fireworks and so many freebies.

Just the same as our community days when we give them all away....
Not really the same. I parked in a car park with a sign saying "No away fans" - but with my accent didn't mind trying...& was welcomed! "That is only for football games because someone always has to kick-off"! Nuff said?

The focus is more about trying to enjoy the game, the event, the day! Not enjoy winning gauding & beating up the opposing team supporters up...community days or not - too many idiots come & spoil it.

Users who are viewing this thread