Wasps going into admin & the impact on CCFC (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBT

Just because you're not bright enough to understand, there's no need to get offensive

So I assume if Wasps are forced out of Coventry, you’ll be out protesting on behalf of those Wasps fans in the Cov area who will be seeing their cultural ties of place and time be loosened? You may not agree with them but they surely exist.

Nick

Administrator
Dear Amy,

Just 2 things.

1. We've already been in administration a couple of times but of course you know the history of our club so you know that.
2. Neither can Wasps afford the stadium.

Regards

A Cov City fan

Amazing how fucking clueless they are and try to give it the big one.

Then wonder why city fans are loving it.

AOM

That wasps fan on CWR is deluded. Saying if wasps got relegated they would all go and watch.

People don’t watch now

Surely the only possible reason for locals to go to Wasps games was "top level" rugby.
Why would anyone go to watch them in the league below if Coventry are also in that same league?
If they get relegated, that surely is curtains for them in the city

Sky Blue Pete

Interesting times. You’d be bloody worried if our game was called off a week Saturday wouldn’t you?
Think they are going to be relegated and course someone will buy the name and potentially the stadium

ccfcrob

This was the original posted in August...

Seeing it made quite an impression on me as I distinctly remember going straight to the kitchen and trying to cut my eyes out with a bread knife

They blocked me a long long time ago

rexo87

Nick Eastwood and Robert Gray terminated as directors of Wasps Holdings. Can someone smarter than me say if this is standard procedure for a business going into admin?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

theferret

As long as you don't care about a team you support being moved, like say Coventry City to Northampton, that's fine. Otherwise you're just being completely hypocritical. It's an attitude that completely sucks and shows no understanding or sympathy for anyone else.

Presumably you'd be outraged if Cov moved away again for "financial reasons" but you think people who supported Wasps their whole lives in London weren't equally upset?

You're kidding yourself mate - rugby fans care as much about their teams as football fans do, why the fuck wouldn't they?

But Wasps had already moved a distance greater than Cov to Northampton when they relocated to Wycombe (without any fuss). They then moved again - they are a nomadic club and while there was some opposition from their London based supporters (and I feel for them), it was extremely muted in the circumstances.

FWIW I think it was wrong they moved this far north (and not just because they came here), I am absolutely against the franchising of historic sporting institutions.

As for 'rugby fans care as much about their teams as football fans do, why the fuck wouldn't they?' - that is nonsense really. It's an entirely different culture, I am amazed you can't see that. You'll get passionate individuals, and for clubs like Bath that are firmly tied to a City, perhaps it's a little more football like, but in general terms there isn't that tribal connection, or anything close to it. This is surely self-evident with the apathy from Wasps fans when they moved. Where were the boycotts, the protests, the marches? Where is the phoenix club and how is it doing? Less apples and oranges, more apples and super noodles - the cultures are so different, so it is very difficult to be all that sympathetic re the franchising of Wasps when the vast majority of their own supporters didn't seem to give much of a shit.

skybluetony176

Nick Eastwood and Robert Gray terminated as directors of Wasps Holdings. Can someone smarter than me say if this is standard procedure for a business going into admin?

Could it mean new directors are coming in? Might mean clearing the way for a takeover. Hopefully not but I would guess it’s a possibility.

rexo87

Could it mean new directors are coming in? Might mean clearing the way for a takeover. Hopefully not but I would guess it’s a possibility.
Did think that was a possibility but as Grendel has said on the Wasps forum, more likely Eastwood and Co have done a runner before admin kicks in

NorthernWisdom

But Wasps had already moved a distance greater than Cov to Northampton when they relocated to Wycombe (without any fuss). They then moved again - they are a nomadic club and while there was some opposition from their London based supporters (and I feel for them), it was extremely muted in the circumstances.
Partly, this is the size of the club. London Rugby clubs have always been smaller audiences than those in the Midlands, or Wales. What they certainly are not is a nomadic club. Yes, they moved to Wycombe and that was wrong, they then compounded their failing by moving even further away! It's noticable that they fail in both Wycombe and Coventry... away from their base. In mitigation, they had to leave London, they claimed, because they were being evicted from Loftus Road in order for Fulham to move in temporarily. We can maybe see parallels with how the Birmingham move for us was accepted more readily than Northampton.

And on that note, you could argue that our response to Northampton was pretty muted in the main - one march, and then a series of men in pairs with bedsheets... and the impression in the wider public was certainly muted, as the Get Cov Back to Cov local election candidate got trounced. Now, among here the response is different, but that doesn't deny a wider perception of our move to Northampton often came across as apathy.

Terry Gibson's perm

Did think that was a possibility but as Grendel has said on the Wasps forum, more likely Eastwood and Co have done a runner before admin kicks in

The poor wasps fans think they get a little bit of happiness and Grendel rides in and pisses on their chips keep up the good work.

duffer

The problem is rugby fans were very keen to keep telling us it was fine for clubs to move across the country as people aren't attached to their clubs in the same way football fans are and those in London who couldn't travel to Coventry would just change their support to another club nearer to them.

They absolutely weren't all saying that. Why do people think that rugby and football fans are so different?

Go to Cov rugby, as an example, and what you'll find are people who have followed the club for years, generations even. They have the same (often unfounded) likes and dislikes of certain players and coaches, the same local rivalries built over decades, and share the same memories and stories of notable successes and failures. Some have their ashes scattered on the pitch.

Why on earth would anyone think they wouldn't be gutted in the same way as we were, if their team is taken away from them? They love their clubs like our fans love ours; some more, some less, but no different.

Grendel

They absolutely weren't all saying that. Why do people think that rugby and football fans are so different?

Go to Cov rugby, and what you'll find are people who have followed the club for years, generations even. They have the same (often unfounded) likes and dislikes of certain players and coaches, the same local rivalries built over decades, and share the same memories and stories of notable successes and failures. Some have their ashes scattered on the pitch.

Why on earth would anyone think they wouldn't be gutted in the same way as we were, if their team is taken away from them? They love their clubs like our fans love ours; some more, some less, but no different.

Wasps fans seem far more nomadic - most seem to not even live in London from the original hard core support base and wouldn’t be unduly bothered if they moved again if it preserved their status

chiefdave

No mention of the people who lost their jobs when they moved from London.. No empathy for the bondholders. How about the staff that lost their jobs when they moved training centre from Henley on thames.
This winds me all. How can they turn round and have a go at people saying they should think about the people losing their jobs when not one word was said when they left Wycombe. Are people working in Coventry somehow more important than the ones they abandoned in Wycombe?

A lot of the bondholders will be fans and there's literally people on their forums saying they don't care if those that 'invested' lose their money.

fernandopartridge

Pompous rubbish. I refuse to believe that Wasps is a “passion [that] ties into peoples’ identity” for anything more than a few dozen people at most. You’re asking people to apply football-levels of passion and emotion to something that even most rugby fans don’t get worked up about.

Not all sports are life and death, and that’s ok!

I agree with you, football is far more rooted in its local community and the collective psyche of the population where its based. It is an undeniable fact.

Reactions: SBT

djbooth

This winds me all. How can they turn round and have a go at people saying they should think about the people losing their jobs when not one word was said when they left Wycombe. Are people working in Coventry somehow more important than the ones they abandoned in Wycombe?

A lot of the bondholders will be fans and there's literally people on their forums saying they don't care if those that 'invested' lose their money.
Indeed. They think there are holier than thou..

oldfiver

We're they terminated or leave of own decision

Grendel

I agree with you, football is far more rooted in its local community and the collective psyche of the population where its based. It is an undeniable fact.

Some rugby clubs also are - Exeter, Gloucester, Harlequins, Northampton, Bath - Leicester is a big city for both which is unusual I guess. Wasps have no community base at all

Tommo1993

Think people earlier were twisting something simple. Rugby is just as ‘loved’ as football, by its respective fan. Football is ‘loved’ by its fans however overwhelmingly more popular. It’s not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread