Wasps downward spiral... (3 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

I see Bridge has got his crayons out again and written another one of his fantastic stories asking what Wasps fans think of the Sky Blues not returning.

Kneeza

As much as I'd love it to be Wasps. If their predicament is as bad as people say, can we see them overspending on players??
Anybody else know what type of players the others have and whether they may appear to have overspent?? (@Kneeza )?
Doubt very much that it's them tbh.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Interesting quotes from the Exeter chairman about the downside of having auxiliary businesses around the club - Exeter's Rowe warns of financial issues

Rowe says that while the conferencing business and central revenues from rugby - such as television rights and Rugby Football Union funding - help pay the bills, the club's biggest source of revenue is still matchday income.

"Everybody has held up Exeter as the ideal business and a profitable club because we have Sandy Park conference and banqueting that pays the day-to-day bills and then we have all these bums on seats for matchdays," added Rowe, whose leadership helped guide the club to the top flight in 2010.

"However, for the last five months that's been a millstone around our necks. At the moment we can't earn any revenue, yet our outgoings remain the same.

"What was to a degree our 'golden goose' in having Sandy Park pay the bills and the overheads, whilst the matchdays were the big earners, both of those income streams have currently gone."

fernandopartridge

Interesting quotes from the Exeter chairman about the downside of having auxiliary businesses around the club - Exeter's Rowe warns of financial issues

Rowe says that while the conferencing business and central revenues from rugby - such as television rights and Rugby Football Union funding - help pay the bills, the club's biggest source of revenue is still matchday income.

"Everybody has held up Exeter as the ideal business and a profitable club because we have Sandy Park conference and banqueting that pays the day-to-day bills and then we have all these bums on seats for matchdays," added Rowe, whose leadership helped guide the club to the top flight in 2010.

"However, for the last five months that's been a millstone around our necks. At the moment we can't earn any revenue, yet our outgoings remain the same.

"What was to a degree our 'golden goose' in having Sandy Park pay the bills and the overheads, whilst the matchdays were the big earners, both of those income streams have currently gone."

They just need to contact Exeter Council for an inflated grant

tisza

they were the only top flight club showing a profit before the COVID. This imposed salary reduction merely limits the damage for now but if clubs survive they're facing a reduced new TV contract ( minus the bit they sold CVC) according to some sources. Whereas PL rugby seem to think they can insist on a dedicated channel and improved TV monies in their next deal.

Skyblueweeman

The interesting bit about this is the conference business side of things. Has anyone been to Sandy Park? I had a meeting there a few years back....a lovely little stadium, accessible, good parking etc. However, comparing their conference facilities to that of the Ricoh is like comparing Northwich Victoria FCs playing squad with Man City FCs playing squad.

It really does make me wonder how Wasps are apparently seriously in the sh!t with finances. Maybe they are the ones paying over the odds on salaries. I don't know exact figures but I would imagine revenues generated from events at the Ricoh are likely 10 fold of what they are at Sandy Park. Yes, costs will therefore be higher but something doesn't add it.

That was a very telling comment from the Exeter guy.

Nick

Administrator
The issue is the debt, with all that debt surrounding the Ricoh they will always have weights around them while trying to swim.

Sky Blue Harry H

Wasps forum thinking £££s will roll in from 1st October when events (business, not concerts etc) can start. Trouble is, businesses will be cutting back expenditure in this area due to financial impact of Cov-id. Think they are likely in for an elongated shock.

NorthernWisdom

Wasps forum thinking £££s will roll in from 1st October when events (business, not concerts etc) can start. Trouble is, businesses will be cutting back expenditure in this area due to financial impact of Cov-id. Think they are likely in for an elongated shock.
Won't happen. Even if it's allowed and companies have the cash, they'll be cautious so not do it and / or want a cheap deal. It'lll also cost vastly more to set up the space.

Plus I suspect we might see further lockdowns etc. come the autumn / winter. You'd certainly be unwise to budget expecting it all to happen...

jordan210

I was talking to my neighbour who works in events management. Said most places have written off this year. Even if events can open in October. number of visitors will be vastly reduced so exhibitors will not be happy to pay full ££ for greatly reduced crowds.

We have an event we are suppose to exhibit at the nec that has been pushed back multiple times already and as a team we are not sure how beneficial its going to be.

Does the Ricoh even have many events booked in for 2020. I cant see many if anyone booking to host an event for this year

Kneeza

Ex were preparing that model 15 or more years ago when they were still being beaten by the likes of Cov.
They sold the County Ground and bought cheap land virtually overhanging a motorway, and had SW Comms pumping in cash (still do).
It's still a fairly poor ground with mostly temporary accomodation except for the main building, and the lavish plans for expansion just keep going back.
The advantage they have (had, pre-Covid), events-wise, is the lack of competition in Devon. A few small hotel conference rooms at best. Up here, the Ricoh is up against it.
They'll come out of it OK, but it'll be a while before they turn a profit again.

Skyblueweeman

Ex were preparing that model 15 or more years ago when they were still being beaten by the likes of Cov.
They sold the County Ground and bought cheap land virtually overhanging a motorway, and had SW Comms pumping in cash (still do).
It's still a fairly poor ground with mostly temporary accomodation except for the main building, and the lavish plans for expansion just keep going back.
The advantage they have (had, pre-Covid), events-wise, is the lack of competition in Devon. A few small hotel conference rooms at best. Up here, the Ricoh is up against it.
They'll come out of it OK, but it'll be a while before they turn a profit again.

About the location thing though...how many big companies go down to Devon to host their annual conference? The issue with the Ricoh is that you have a lot of competition for event hosting in the Midlands.

jordan210

About the location thing though...how many big companies go down to Devon to host their annual conference? The issue with the Ricoh is that you have a lot of competition for event hosting in the Midlands.

The Ricoh mops up the smaller events that cant afford the NEC but it has to complete with places like Stoneleigh Park who have multiple halls

fernandopartridge

Even if Coventry, if you're putting on an event why would you use the Ricoh when you've got the University of Warwick's excellent facility in the city?

Sky Blue Harry H

It'lll also cost vastly more to set up the space.
Good point NW - hadn't even thought about that. The additional costs for making a space 'safe/compliant' will make such events even less attractive to a business/organisation. Much as I want Wasps to implode, it is sad for these businesses, event venues (like NEC etc) that they are being so badly hit. Very early on in the Cov-id outbreak, I helped out a lady over a parking fine issue in Stratford. Turns out she worked for the RSC and asked for my contact details so she could let me have some free tickets when they were open (may be a long time coming!)

win9nut

Won't happen. Even if it's allowed and companies have the cash, they'll be cautious so not do it and / or want a cheap deal. It'lll also cost vastly more to set up the space.

Plus I suspect we might see further lockdowns etc. come the autumn / winter. You'd certainly be unwise to budget expecting it all to happen...
Our company is redecorating the offices and moving teams to a new premises and we are still being told not to go back to offices for work until January at the earliest.

If we need to go to the office, we have to let all the site security and facilities teams know well in advance.

No team-building events, offsite meetings or conferences as there usually would be.

WFH til January...

Sky Blue Harry H

Our company is redecorating the offices and moving teams to a new premises and we are still being told not to go back to offices for work until January at the earliest.

If we need to go to the office, we have to let all the site security and facilities teams know well in advance.

No team-building events, offsite meetings or conferences as there usually would be.

WFH til January...

What line of work is this win9nut? if you don't mind me asking (i'm assuming a lot of employees can work from home?)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

WFH til January...
Mines the same. There’s no rush to move Us back to the office whilst systems are holding up from home

NorthernWisdom

tisza

weren't rolling in before so pretty optimistic of them.

CCFC88

Be interresting to see the take up in tickets paid/free when they are allowed back in.

Football fans usually more passionate and expect most chomping at the bit to get back in a stadium. I’d imagine someone who has free tickets and takes the kids as something to do or a couple of mates that use free tickets so they can have a beer in their seats won’t be as keen.

Cant see as many of their actual fans travelling up from London either, not to start with anyway.

Will be record low season ticket sales

win9nut

What line of work is this win9nut? if you don't mind me asking (i'm assuming a lot of employees can work from home?)
I currently work for a very large Car Salvage company.

The yards are all open and trading, but all office staff currently are WFH.

I'm moving companies at the end of the month and they are pretty much in the same boat - WFH until further notice - That's a blue chip retail business

Skyblueweeman

Even if Coventry, if you're putting on an event why would you use the Ricoh when you've got the University of Warwick's excellent facility in the city?

Not being local, I can't say that I'm aware of it FP. Does the UoW facility have accommodation attached? If not, there's one reason.

There could be many reasons though...the hotel at the Ricoh is managed by Hilton on Franchised basis. Hilton's sales engine and reach is for greater than many of the other local 'rivals' when it comes to facility promotion etc.

Skyblueweeman

In fact meeting wise we’re utilising WebEx and Zoom more. Is imagine most companies will for conferences and meetings

To an extent, yes. Internal team meetings for example are more and more common on things like WebEx and Zoom, two platforms I've ran training programmes on.

There will still be an apetitie for face to face meetings, conferences and events though. Yes, Covid-19 has made companies look at the ways they work but many will still hold large scale events.

The timescales of when these come back though is the key point. I do know that some events agencies are picking up on enquiry levels so the appetite is still there.

I have a mate who works for West Sussex CC and he's high up on the finance side of things. He thinks that they'll cash in on a lot of office space in W.Sussex as the last few months has proven how effective home working can be. They'll then just have reduced premise space with a greater number of hot desks. Zoom or Webex would be more useful for their smaller departmental meetings though.

fernandopartridge

Not being local, I can't say that I'm aware of it FP. Does the UoW facility have accommodation attached? If not, there's one reason.

There could be many reasons though...the hotel at the Ricoh is managed by Hilton on Franchised basis. Hilton's sales engine and reach is for greater than many of the other local 'rivals' when it comes to facility promotion etc.
Yes, it has accommodation, I've stayed there a few times. It's impressive, excellent dining etc.

Users who are viewing this thread