Wasps downward spiral... (12 Viewers)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

What irritates me is the lack of understanding about why we’re annoyed at their presence - the fact that we’ve had no chance of owning the Ricoh since it was built - it’s always just “if SISU were better…”

Manhattan pulled out because the council wouldn’t sell the stadium, they’ve such a shit understanding and that’s what makes me hate them

Indeed - SISUs actions made the stadium available, but it was never available before that. I hope the experience deteriorates. It’s a shame more coventrians Aren’t making it more hostile towards wasps

Brighton Sky Blue

They don't really know the history or facts because they are so easy to bullshit.

The latest is ‘the non sporting side of the business was always meant to be the more profitable’.

Well it needs to be to the tune of £10 million a year to cover those losses.

chiefdave

The latest is ‘the non sporting side of the business was always meant to be the more profitable’.

Well it needs to be to the tune of £10 million a year to cover those losses.
That would worry me if I was a Wasps fan. Their owner won't stick around forever, what happens when he goes? You've got a business where one part is losing millions a year. Anyone who looks to takeover because they want the profitable non-sporting side of the business won't be sinking millions into the rugby side.

Grendel

They will stay if they can get the refinancing done as that money effectively will secure the whole business as a going concern for the term of the funding

AOM

I just took a look at the drunkenwasps forum. I was being unfair in my opinion that it was a minority on there that are eejits. I take it back - it’s pretty much all of ‘em - they are a snobbish collective who need to be gone. Pronto.

I feel sorry for some of the London based fans who have been completely abandoned by their club and were just expected to make the trip up here every other week without any consultation.

In an ideal world they'd go back down south and everyone is happy. Surely they can't keep going as they are

Philosorapter

The non-sporting side of the business was always there as a gradual money maker for the sporting side who played in the stadium.

Selling this part of the business is going to be a non-starter in my opinion, and this would include a mortgage, which is effectively the same thing.

The stadium is not there to fund a sporting teams losses. The owner of the lease can do that.

If you can't afford the lease and fund a sporting club etc then it's time to start looking at pastures new.

Last edited:

Grendel

The non-sporting side of the business was always there as a gradual money maker for the sporting side who played in the stadium.

Selling this part of the business is going to be a non-starter in my opinion, and this would include a mortgage, which is effectively the same thing.

The stadium is not there to fund a sporting teams losses. The owner of the lease can do that.

If you can't afford the lease and fund a sporting club etc then it's time to start looking at pastures new.

They have been funding the lease for years and will continue to do so

Grendel

Yes, through a bond issue, which will mature soon.

How would you see it going if they have to do another bond issue?

They won't it will be essentially a mortgage

Grendel

That would essentially be selling the stadium lease to a 3rd party away from their group of companies. Can't see CCC agreeing to this.

They can't stop it its been assigned

chiefdave

That would essentially be selling the stadium lease to a 3rd party away from their group of companies. Can't see CCC agreeing to this.
Who knows what, if any, caveats CCC put in when they handed the keys to Wasps.

Remember there was uproar at the suggestion SISU would get the stadium and then use it as security on financing. There was people contacting the council to warn against it and there is, or at least was, meeting minutes on the council website where they discussed how in the event of any sale there would need to be clauses put in place to prevent the stadium being used as security.

Wasps then moved in and pretty much immediately used the stadium as security and nobody batted an eyelid.

Grendel

The other issue here anyway is if wasps go bust we have as much of an issue as them

Grendel

Kentwasp1 not holding out much hope either for their future in the sums up the feelings thread

He is a finance guy so he looks at it from that understanding- in essence it’s all about ability to fund against the lease. If they can they can survive - it’s still a miserable outlook - but they will survive

chiefdave

Kentwasp1 not holding out much hope either for their future in the sums up the feelings thread
The open letter in the first post of that thread is unintentionally hilarious:

"there is a feeling amongst many supporters of a distance of a distance between the clubs upper hierarchy and the fan base"
"there are a number of people who feel as though they have been distanced by the club"
"feeling of a lack of importance of the support base from the club"

Was lying to supporters and moving halfway across the country not a clue that Wasps management don't give a toss about their supporters?

Gynnsthetonic

He is a finance guy so he looks at it from that understanding- in essence it’s all about ability to fund against the lease. If they can they can survive - it’s still a miserable outlook - but they will survive
Surely can't survive forever though with the continuing losses, a switched on bloke like Derek Richardson will have to pull the plug sooner or later

Gynnsthetonic

The open letter in the first post of that thread is unintentionally hilarious:

"there is a feeling amongst many supporters of a distance of a distance between the clubs upper hierarchy and the fan base"
"there are a number of people who feel as though they have been distanced by the club"
"feeling of a lack of importance of the support base from the club"

Was lying to supporters and moving halfway across the country not a clue that Wasps management don't give a toss about their supporters?
Yes no communication anymore between the board and fans and being outnumbered at home by a team from another country 😄

SBAndy

They won't it will be essentially a mortgage

Be surprised at that. If it were the case, could be looking at interest rates in excess of their current bond arrangement. What ability to repay do they evidence? The funding raised via bond has essentially disappeared over the course of 5 years.

Grendel

Be surprised at that. If it were the case, could be looking at interest rates in excess of their current bond arrangement. What ability to repay do they evidence? The funding raised via bond has essentially disappeared over the course of 5 years.

Isnt the stadium lease worth £70 million?

shepardo01

What irritates me is the lack of understanding about why we’re annoyed at their presence - the fact that we’ve had no chance of owning the Ricoh since it was built - it’s always just “if SISU were better…”

Manhattan pulled out because the council wouldn’t sell the stadium, they’ve such a shit understanding and that’s what makes me hate them

Indeed - SISUs actions made the stadium available, but it was never available before that. I hope the experience deteriorates. It’s a shame more coventrians Aren’t making it more hostile towards wasps
One thing that stuck with me, was during the training ground shenanigans/purchase of Warwickshire college where they kicked out long standing clubs to force the issue there was a quote on one of their forums that it couldn't possibly be true as it "wasn't very wasp like"!!
They schmooze a local Councillor who shafted his own constituents along with one of their directors suddenly appearing on the board of governors at WCG who were selling the training ground, much to the disgust of the locals.

OffenhamSkyBlue

One thing that stuck with me, was during the training ground shenanigans/purchase of Warwickshire college where they kicked out long standing clubs to force the issue there was a quote on one of their forums that it couldn't possibly be true as it "wasn't very wasp like"!!
They schmooze a local Councillor who shafted his own constituents along with one of their directors suddenly appearing on the board of governors at WCG who were selling the training ground, much to the disgust of the locals.
WCG are by no means blameless and are showing themselves to be greedy mercenary twats.
They bought all of the FE colleges in South Worcestershire (Malvern, Pershore and Evesham) with promises that they would maintain the educational offering. Four years on, and whaddya know? They are downsizing the teaching programme at Evesham (including scrapping all of the adult evening classes) and Malvern Hills College is closing. So 16-18 year olds who want to do vocational courses (BTEC, City & Guilds, etc) and anyone who wants to do an evening class now have to go either to Pershore or Worcester. It's despicable.

Users who are viewing this thread