Wasps downward spiral... (9 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

Yeah they were pretty adamant and to be fair I want proper funding of services rather than any money being given to prop up professional sports clubs but at least be consistent
Yep, not helping out financially is not an unreasonable position, but you can't pick and choose.

Anyway, nowithstanding the business case (non existent) and the social case (limited) for funding, I'd expect it'd be political suicide for Andy Street if the money were handed over. I just can't see it happening.

Nick

Administrator
There seems to be a large section of Wasps fans who have convinced themselves that everything was good until covid came along. Did they miss the huge losses every year and the need to sell off future profits to CVC.

That's because that's what Wasps said, they are blaming it all on COVID.

They have no clue.

Sky Blue Pete

That's because that's what Wasps said, they are blaming it all on COVID.

They have no clue.
Again I know I’m speaking a little against the tide but we’ve all businesses and employees and many employees received state support through the pandemic so in a sense I think it’s sensible for wasps to ask, almost stupid not to.

It should have been met with a resounding no and maybe what they asked for was!!!!! And this was the best Martin reeves and the council could do

In any case it stinks that they’d help wasps more than ccfc. I’m not even expecting preferential treatment for ccfc just equal

shepardo01

What time was this on, going to have to get it on iplayer as its hard to believe even Wasps fans can be that deluded.

Wasps had a business plan in place, they were going to be the richest most successful club in Europe and the stadium was going to be sold out every week. With their track record any new business plan should be met with the same sort of response we have when Fisher says a new ground is being built.
Here's the guy they had on;

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

tisza

Seems optimistic Wasps and Rugby fans in general are missing some of the overall picture.
Reduction in salary caps and only one marquee player may help lower costs but going to weaken appeal of the sport as fewer (if any) big foreign stars will join - can earn much more in France and Japan apparently. Isn't the "crown" jewel of club rugby (De Klerk) already off to Japan?
Teams going to be less competitive in European competitions so that's going to harm attendances. Future European rugby tv deals going to be worth less if English teams aren't doing well.

oldfiver

Very confident in next year - first pre season at new training ground, got people coming in. New lower salary cap... sure wasps rugby have got business plan in place, will get more bums in seats.
Arena business - More revenue coming into Arena
Confident Wasps have a business plan in place.
"Our own Bobby bridge not aware of developments "
We don't know what money request is for... presuming Arena!
Confident more people coming through turnstiles.....

Wow...

The training ground that should be here!!

skybluelee

This lad is great value:

Re: Message from Stephen Vaughan addressing some supporters concerns
Shugs 17 June, 2022 10:06
So, ignoring the 7.5m as we don’t know what that is how does that add up to £15m. I get that a very small minority of CCFC fans want Wasps to fail. But made up figures, blasé assumptions and rumour won’t do it.

tisza

This lad is great value:

Re: Message from Stephen Vaughan addressing some supporters concerns
Shugs 17 June, 2022 10:06
So, ignoring the 7.5m as we don’t know what that is how does that add up to £15m. I get that a very small minority of CCFC fans want Wasps to fail. But made up figures, blasé assumptions and rumour won’t do it.
My objections aren't as such against Wasps fans etc. It's the notion that so many official bodies have gone out of their way to help them when we didn't get the same levels of support - basically because of who our owners were. People were so intent in forcing SISU out taking into account what might happen to the club. Is Richardson a better owner than SISU? Put his money into a club that couldn't make its own, raised a bond to pay himself back, still couldn't make money and now wants more external financing which again at some stage will be used to repay his loans to the club.
Wasps project was ill-conceived from the start. It's not a sport that generates big revenues - no club in this country made big money and even without COVID it's a sport that financially mismanaged itself into financial difficulties. Just as easily look at a lot of Championship clubs and say they should get govt grants because they've mismanaged their finances (andhad COVID issues as well)
Again there's a significant part of Wasps support that fall outside of the Coventry area so why should local taxpayers money be helping out people from the likes of London and the home counties

Philosorapter

Does anyone know if wasps have been anywhere near their salary cap?

Sky Blue Harry H

I’m sure that’s right

They can have some success (grudgingly), but not in our city.

The other factor that will hit Wasps (and a lot of other sporting clubs too) is inflation.
Cost of travel to games will have rocketed, the outgoings on hotels, players' meals, energy costs at the CBS, their Henley training ground etc.
If inflation is at 10%, yet their income is relatively fixed / falling (and they're already making large losses). Doesn't look good, whichever way you look at it.

duffer

I don't really care about the 'new' Wasps fans from Coventry. For the most part they've already found something else to do anyway, and if they really love the sport (rather than just the flags and fireworks), then Coventry RFC is freely available to them (and easier and cheaper too).

Original Wasps fans I've got some sympathy for; they've been taken advantage of for a long time.

The people running Wasps seem little better than the people running CCFC, they're in it for themselves too they've just had more effective PR, imho. At least up to this point, I sense the worm has turned...

RegTheDonk

" A statement from the WMCA said there had been an approach to the authority, via Coventry City Council, "which, as with all financial requests of this nature, is currently being considered through the appropriate channels". "

Council trying to bail their mates out again. Does Andy Street really want to divert money from wm communities to prop up these parasites?

Last edited:

Gynnsthetonic

I mean that most ccfc fans want them to fail. I’m not sure I’d go that far but this is something else happening here with clear favouritism being shown
and hopefully won't go through, I don't see how it can, they've had money from the government too with a 3.8m grant for hosting the commonwealth games

Sky Blue Harry H

I had the misfortune to be on Coventry station (after a City away day)when I found myself next to 2 wasps fans who'd been on the lash all day. One was a decent bloke and had travelled from down south. Had a good chat with him. His mate, on the other hand, was one of those you quickly want to smack in the mouth. P*ssed, snide comments, and looking for an argument. Reminded me of the nutter in the pub that you keep half an eye on in case he heads in your direction. From that moment forward, my anti-Wasps feelings solidified.

Sky Blue Pete

I think they would tbh, if we apply voting rules. Sure, there'll be a lot who don't really care either way, but I doubt you'd find many who actively want them to succeed!
I’m not being clear again lol. I agree most ccfc fans want them to fail. I’m not sure that’s how I feel lol

Moff

I’ve long said this would eventually be the outcome, from things I’ve heard and from a knowledge of the game.
It was always going to go one way, and I’m glad it is.

One thing that I’m interested to see regarding this is the views of other top flight rugby clubs. Surely they won’t want to see a rival propped up with millions of state aid whilst they live within their means. I would hope a formal objection/complaint would be raised and that action would be taken against Wasps by the other clubs.

Users who are viewing this thread