Walker (3 Viewers)

cc84cov

Thinking about 4 strikers is causing big problems for robins as when he had 3 available he played 1 up top with box midfield a lot more over a season ,but having a 4th striker all of which are better quality seems to be affecting his tactical decisions.
I was surprised we extended Godden with his injury record etc at now 30 but I get we are working within budgets etc I felt Walker would be used more this season with pace coming in

the rumpo kid

I think godden Viktor and waghorn are all better players than walker but if there was ever a game that was crying out for a walker style player it was last night, with Swanseas back line so high , I think walkers pace could have cought them out. Plus vik didn't have a great game.

stay_up_skyblues

Thought we were crying out for someone to run in behind last night, particularly as the tactic seemed to be bypass the midfield with long ball after long ball. Godden’s lack of pace was glaringly exposed by this style and I fully expected Walker to get at least half hour.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Rightly or wrongly, Robins doesn´t rate him as highly as the other strikers. He only played because Godden was suspended.

I can see why people were crying out to change it, because frankly our strikers were embarrassing last night, but I think Walker coming on and doing anything would still have been unlikely.

Gyokeres and his early goal form has been masking a lot of problems we have in the squad, and last night they were clear to see. Weak defence, and an inability to play good quality balls in the final third being two of them.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Personally I think he’s been treated harshly . Also what was the point of bringing him on with a minute to go ?
I think Vik needs a rest prior to the international break hasn’t been the same since getting his injury

Some changes need to be made for Saturday possibly start Walker WAghorn and rest O’Hare too

Grendel

He wouldn’t have much of a career if he does. He deserved the time Jones got tonight but gyokeres and godden were looking like getting a goal. It was pointless to put him on for a minute although if maatsen had played a better ball he may well have got the equaliser in added time

Godden? He did nothing all night - they managed him out the game very easily

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Thinking about 4 strikers is causing big problems for robins as when he had 3 available he played 1 up top with box midfield a lot more over a season ,but having a 4th striker all of which are better quality seems to be affecting his tactical decisions.

I don't think MR will be too bothered by that. Godden and Walker aren't the type to be particularly effective having to do the chasing and when they've played on their own we rarely look that dangerous. Waghorn could probably do it but then you're reducing your goal scoring ability. Gyo is probably the one who might work at harassing defenders and still be a goal threat, but he can't do it every game and he'd be knackered before too long. Plus his goalscoring seems to have been benefiting from having Waghorn as a partner.

Then there's the AM position. We've got O'Hare but who would you play with them? Allen? Jones? Hamer? Sheaf? Shipley? It's not a position where we've got a lot of people who play that position naturally.

if MR thought we would be better with the box he'd play it, but we don't have strikers or enough attacking midfielders suited for it.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Rightly or wrongly, Robins doesn´t rate him as highly as the other strikers. He only played because Godden was suspended.

I can see why people were crying out to change it, because frankly our strikers were embarrassing last night, but I think Walker coming on and doing anything would still have been unlikely.

Gyokeres and his early goal form has been masking a lot of problems we have in the squad, and last night they were clear to see. Weak defence, and an inability to play good quality balls in the final third being two of them.

But again we need to ask questions of the recruiting process. MR chased him for ages and paid a decent fee for him. Surely in that time he must have researched the type of player he is and realised he's not someone who fits into his ethic and looked elsewhere. We had a similar thing with Chaplin - chased him for ages, paid a decent fee and pretty soon after he'd fallen out of favour.

I don't know if MR thought there was something he could coach into them but I think he needs to look at his track record at being able to do so. Some traits are just part of who the person is and no amount of training will change it.

SeaSeeEffCee

It’s pretty dreadful man management to drop a striker after he’s scored 2 in 2 and then barely utilise him off the bench.

slowpoke

I was at both games and yes he scored two good goals, very good actually but overall I don’t think he played well at all in either game.

cc84cov

I was at both games and yes he scored two good goals, very good actually but overall I don’t think he played well at all in either game.
His job is to score goals he got 2 in 2 and got dropped by a a manager who’s chased him for 2 years before spending a reported 1m on him,

Its bad man management if he wants someone who’s gonna work their socks off up front why bother with him ? Give walker service he will score plenty the problem is we don’t create enough at times

skybluegod

He was probably the best player on the pitch for us against Preston.

Blackburn he was neither here nor there but scored which is what a striker is on the pitch to do.

cc84cov

He was probably the best player on the pitch for us against Preston.

Blackburn he was neither here nor there but scored which is what a striker is on the pitch to do.
Robins should sort service to walker,who put that cross in for his goal at Blackburn ?

Frostie

I thought Preston was one of his better performances, I've got to admit though I can't recall his Blackburn one

Walker was excellent at Preston, their commentators were waxing lyrical about him, wishing he was playing for them.

Think Godden was the right choice to start last night but baffled why Walker didn't come on for him sooner.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

But again we need to ask questions of the recruiting process. MR chased him for ages and paid a decent fee for him. Surely in that time he must have researched the type of player he is and realised he's not someone who fits into his ethic and looked elsewhere. We had a similar thing with Chaplin - chased him for ages, paid a decent fee and pretty soon after he'd fallen out of favour.

I don't know if MR thought there was something he could coach into them but I think he needs to look at his track record at being able to do so. Some traits are just part of who the person is and no amount of training will change it.

I totally agree.

I know Walker was the season before, but I have screamed until I am blue in the face about our transfer activity, particularly this season. But then, most people dont want to know.

I am more concerned about our defence to be honest though. 17 right backs and 1 left back too!

Grendel

His overall game was good at Preston

Also Robins did slaughter him last season when Middlesbrough scored for trying to come back and tackle when his job was scoring goals.

You do wonder if Robins even signed him

cc84cov

Also Robins did slaughter him last season when Middlesbrough scored for trying to come back and tackle when his job was scoring goals.

But then it seems to be robins prefers players who work harder off the ball but then gets slated for trying to challenge for a ball

SlowerThanPlatt

This would suggest yes. Signings like Da Costa and Hilssner I really struggle with

clint van damme

I totally agree.

I know Walker was the season before, but I have screamed until I am blue in the face about our transfer activity, particularly this season. But then, most people dont want to know.

I am more concerned about our defence to be honest though. 17 right backs and 1 left back too!

Our recruitment has been nowhere as bad as you make out.
Yes there's gaps in it but the squad has notably improved, let's see what happens in the next couple of windows.

Frostie

This would suggest yes. Signings like Da Costa and Hilssner I really struggle with

Dacosta I get, has most of the technical & physical attributes you'd want for a modern day wing-back but he is clearly miles off it with his positioning & awareness. There's a player there but learning on the job could easily have cost us points.

Hilßner yeah... Odd. Can only assume it was a very low cost gamble.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Our recruitment has been nowhere as bad as you make out.
Yes there's gaps in it but the squad has notably improved, let's see what happens in the next couple of windows.

Attacking midfield and defence were two weak areas last season. Can you truly tell me that we have improved those areas?

clint van damme

Attacking midfield and defence were two weak areas last season. Can you truly tell me that we have improved those areas?

I think Maatsen is an improvement on Sam.
JCS is an improvement on playing Hyam on the right.

Not having proper left sided cover for either is still a concern as it was last season.

Not having attacking midfield cover for O'Hare is aother concern which it looks like Robins tried to address but it didn't work out but I'd imagine budgetary constraints played a part in that and the Bright gamble fell at the first hurdle.

Keeper a massive upgrade, midfield definitely better though not really down to recruitment more experience in his league and strikeforce massively upgraded.

League position and results would suggest we've massively improved as well. But still work to do.

Winny the Bish

I fear Walker is turning into JCH 2.0. A fantastic penalty box striker that Robins struggles to use because the attackers in his system have to work outside the box and in build-up play.

Users who are viewing this thread